PDA

View Full Version : Hot RnB

Woebot
13-10-2004, 07:57 AM
Heard some great tracks on the community pirate last night:

(cant read his own writing) Pinka Moiru's "Video Girl"

Usher's "Red Light" (is that another Lil John one?)

and best of all

Nina Sky's "Youre turning me on"

amazing bleepy stuff

whats the beyonce/jerkins track like?

luka
13-10-2004, 11:02 AM
the new brandy album is very beautiful.

simon silverdollar
13-10-2004, 11:28 AM
bleepy nina sky sounds amazing. are they still slightly out of tune? i hope so...charmingly flawed singing is THE thing, for now and forever...

Jim Daze
13-10-2004, 12:01 PM
I agree about Brandy, I need to get that record.

Anyone want to go down Rythmn Division soon, I'm too scared to go on my own during term time :)

simon silverdollar
13-10-2004, 12:36 PM
is rhythm division the one with the pitbull that sits on the counter, that's in the wot do u call it video? it does look a bit scary. i'm an uptown records fan myself. cameo, who works there, is SUCH a lovely guy!

luka
13-10-2004, 01:44 PM
give me a bell jim i'll be virtually next door to them this afternoon.

gragy10
13-10-2004, 03:16 PM
the new brandy album is very beautiful.
I agree - Timbaland seems to have pulled himself out of that semi-slump from a while back. That Kiley Dean mp3 that was going around (name escapes me) was great as well. BTW has anyone else heard those Timbaland sample collages going around? Didn't realise the extent to which he samples/interpolates stuff- the source for More Than A Woman is a fine thing.
New Letoya (ex of Destinys Child) is nice as well. Just Blaze does the undemanding chipmunk thing with Walking In The Rain (Love Unlimited) to great effect.

DavidD
13-10-2004, 05:22 PM
The entire Kiley Dean album has actually leaked, its rather terrific. "Keep it Movin" and "Kiss Me Like That" are my favorites, and "Cross the Line" is excellent as well - it's a remake of Jay-Z's "It's Hot (Some Like it Hot)" but he completely transforms the mood of the song. "I know you wanna cross the line, but I can't letcha" - about sex obviously, and i like it because its not clear whether she is talking to herself or the man she's with. At first I thought it was just her talking to her man but now I'm not so sure.

The Brandy album is wonderful. On ILM there was a lot of talk that it wasn't too hot but I checked it out anyway and I'm glad I did..."Who is She 2 You" is absolutely beautiful, one of my favorite singles this year, and I love it when Brandy's got that grit in her voice, it contrasts with Timbaland's epic-sounding production really well. "I Tried" has that epic Cry Me A River/Nowhere feel which I like a lot. Also has an Iron Maiden sample! Kanye is good but he gets outshined by Timbaland here.

I think both of these albums are great.

Woebot
13-10-2004, 05:27 PM
cool. thanks luka and david i'll check the brandy out. new lps running very low for me this year. its nearly showtime only right now.

DavidD
13-10-2004, 09:14 PM
Other R&B that should probably be mentioned...

I haven't heard all of Kevin Lyttle's album but I thought that as far as R&B goes "The Soul of Soca" has a really great voice and "Turn Me On" and "Last Drop" and "Call Me" are gems. Speaking of Soca, h2O Phlo's "A Little Closer" (you can find it on Soca Gold 2004) is a great R&B track too.

Ciara's "bubble crunk" probably also deserves a mention.

I'm curious, does anyone here use itunes to buy singles? I'd like to start doing that once I get a computer than can handle itunes (I'm still on windows ME). I feel like the Nina Sky and Kevin Lyttle albums are probably not ones that I'd want to go beyond a couple songs for.

Its pretty old now but the Usher album had some great songs on it. Usher's "Throwback" was a better version of what Kanye's done with Brandy and Alicia Keys. I wish it was a single - as far as I'm concerned Just Blaze is the soul of New York right now.

GuyMercier
13-10-2004, 09:21 PM
Usher is so ugly!

nah, really
I like Kanye West
and Mos Def (still)

captain easychord
13-10-2004, 09:48 PM
I agree about Brandy, I need to get that record.

Anyone want to go down Rythmn Division soon, I'm too scared to go on my own during term time :)

yo i was planning to check out RD on my trip to london next week. is it really that intimdating? i'm a little concerned about being a canadian student walking around bow by myself.

simon silverdollar
13-10-2004, 10:21 PM
bow's nice!
never been to rhythm division. it's just their dog that scares me.

captain easychord
13-10-2004, 10:24 PM
LOL i think i can handle the dog. i have to take a look at that shop though; they've got big boy exclusives. (nuff ruff squad tingz)
ll

be.jazz
13-10-2004, 10:37 PM
Does anyone have the Donny Hathaway compilation that came out recently? There are some new performances, but is it worth getting if you already have (all of) and love (most of) his solo work?

mms
14-10-2004, 12:37 AM
anyone heard this guy?
http://www.peveneverett.com/ someone burnt me an album he did and some of it is impressive stuff, more on teh d'angelo tip rather than the timbo tip but some good stuff either way

Backjob
14-10-2004, 04:15 AM
His most famous hour was on Roy Davis Junior's "Gabrielle" which was one of the high points of US garage, and kind of a defining track for the UK variety also....

dialectic_bricks
14-10-2004, 06:14 AM
Ciara's been mentioned already but I'll second that recommendation. "Goodies" is one of my favorite tunes of the year and I just got her new "1, 2 Step" single today and it's quite nice as well.
Also Shawna's "Shake That Shit" single on DefJam is great too. Nice sped-up guitar sample with Ludacris making a cameo that actually matters.

mms
14-10-2004, 12:36 PM
His most famous hour was on Roy Davis Junior's "Gabrielle" which was one of the high points of US garage, and kind of a defining track for the UK variety also....

well i never, i didn't actually put the two together, yep that track is amazing.

Diggedy Derek
14-10-2004, 12:53 PM
Peven Everett's Studio Confessions was a whole album on his RnB tip, and it was pretty excellent. Understated production, whispered vocals, imagine Larry Heard doing something downtempo and you'd be quite close.

stelfox
14-10-2004, 12:57 PM
glad everyone's liking the brandy album. i'd disagree about the earlier point about her being in any "semi-slump" pre hooking up w/ tim, though. full moon was a really solid album; a little overblown but, with tracks like "what about us" and "i thought", jerkins absolutely killed it (her cover of another day in paradise notwithstanding). however, i think it's a timely change of producer and it definitely works here. her voice has filled out a hell of a lot and she's doing a lot more of the throaty soul-belter stuff than previously, which is where i always thought she had most potential, anyway. btw just wanna say thanx 4 setting up these boards mark and matt - they're much needed and it's nice to be able to talk about music without fear of getting into a massive ruck with someone you don't even know!

giaour
14-10-2004, 01:14 PM
hi dave!! xx

gragy10
14-10-2004, 02:33 PM
The entire Kiley Dean album has actually leaked, its rather terrific. "Keep it Movin" and "Kiss Me Like That" are my favorites, and "Cross the Line" is excellent as well

Cool - I'll have to try and find that on slsk. In fact I think the first place I heard her was the Keep It Movin' mp3 up on yr blog David, so thanks for that!
To whoever mentioned Shake That Shit, I couldn't agree more- guess it's not really R&B but Timbaland really excelled himself with that beat. And if anyone hasn't heard the new Snoop single yet then I suggest they hunt it out as well - the Neptunes remember how to do 'relevant' again, much to my suprise.

hint
14-10-2004, 02:50 PM
hi all

If you haven't yet heard it, I strongly recommend checking the new Tweet 12" - Turn Da Lights Off.

It's nuts.

Jim Daze
14-10-2004, 03:37 PM
yo i was planning to check out RD on my trip to london next week. is it really that intimdating? i'm a little concerned about being a canadian student walking around bow by myself.

it's fine, I was only joking, take enough money though, they've got loads of good tunes there.
Go to Cafe Alba on Bethnal Green Rd first, tell them Jim sent you....... :D

Yancey
14-10-2004, 04:45 PM
glad everyone's liking the brandy album. i'd disagree about the earlier point about her being in any "semi-slump" pre hooking up w/ tim, though. full moon was a really solid album; a little overblown but, with tracks like "what about us" and "i thought", jerkins absolutely killed it (her cover of another day in paradise notwithstanding). however, i think it's a timely change of producer and it definitely works here. her voice has filled out a hell of a lot and she's doing a lot more of the throaty soul-belter stuff than previously, which is where i always thought she had most potential, anyway. btw just wanna say thanx 4 setting up these boards mark and matt - they're much needed and it's nice to be able to talk about music without fear of getting into a massive ruck with someone you don't even know!

what's up dave! not trying to start a massive ruck, but i gotta disagree about the brandy album. four or five tracks i liked pretty well -- you won't see me disparaging timbo's tricks -- but tim really isn't expanding his bag o' tricks all that much (and hasn't since he went bumpkin with bubba), and i have a hard time with brandy's voice. post-janet r&b has seen too much of the will-o'-wispy coo, and we've only got mariah (the greatest post-aretha r&b diva) and beyonce putting any meat on them lines. even mary j started in with the toni braxton coo.

the trouble i'm having with r&b these days is that there are no <i>women</i> anymore! it's all girls. pop used to be where the kids went to sing ditties and cheer our hearts, and r&b was where they went when they grew up, learned how to fuck and had some honest-to-god standards about the men they'd lie with. but these women don't hit the charts anymore, at least in the us. we want, apparently, lolitas who will lick lollipops seductively and promise not to talk back, not women with balls. gimme the latter please! in my mind, the story of r&b in the '00s is: whatever happened to the diva?

haha: having written all of that, i decided to play <i>aphrodisiac</i> for the first time in a few months, and i'm liking it loads more than i remembered. so let's temporarily reframe my post to be about r&b at large and not brandy in particular.

hint
14-10-2004, 05:49 PM
post-janet r&b has seen too much of the will-o'-wispy coo, and we've only got mariah (the greatest post-aretha r&b diva) and beyonce putting any meat on them lines. even mary j started in with the toni braxton coo.

the trouble i'm having with r&b these days is that there are no <i>women</i> anymore! it's all girls. pop used to be where the kids went to sing ditties and cheer our hearts, and r&b was where they went when they grew up, learned how to fuck and had some honest-to-god standards about the men they'd lie with. but these women don't hit the charts anymore, at least in the us.

how about kelis and blu cantrell?

I would personally file them under your description of "r&b women". they definitely hit the charts here in the UK at least.

DavidD
14-10-2004, 05:54 PM
A lot of those women are rapping!!

bun-u
14-10-2004, 09:21 PM
I moved a block away from rhythm division last week...bad for my wallet, but good for spotting grime celebs...there I was popping out for a pint of semi-skimmed and i hear then see the man wiley joking with his entourage !

rhythm division is dead easy going, staff are friendly

robin
15-10-2004, 12:54 AM
interesting thread,i really must pay more attention to r'n'b
i don't know much beyond aaliayah and the odd single that caught my attention
speaking of which,does anyone know who produced dip it low?
its a fucking incredible track,been playing it for weeks without getting sick of it...

hint
15-10-2004, 12:35 PM
robin -

dip it low was produced by Poli Paul and it looks like Teedra Moses (who has released some really nice tracks herself recently) had something to do with the writing on the track as well

stelfox
15-10-2004, 12:56 PM
Iit's actually produced by polli paul, who's hooked up with the black eyed peas of all people (this just makes it all the more surprisingly good to my ears). i love the remix with fabolous. he does next to nothing on it, but for some reason another vocal really adds to it.

stelfox
15-10-2004, 12:56 PM
pipped to the post

robin
15-10-2004, 03:24 PM
oh i didnt realize that the fabolous version wasn't the original!
so are there any polli paul productions worth checking out?
i've never even heard the name...

hint
15-10-2004, 03:34 PM
a quick google search brings him up in connections with

Clee & Drank-A-Lot (something to do with the Luniz)
Black Eyed Peas
Nivea
the aformentioned Teedra Moses (who I suggest you check out)

so it seems like Dip It Low is a sign of possible good things to come, rather than an indication of a wealth of fantastic existing material waiting to be discovered.

robin
15-10-2004, 03:54 PM
nice one
something to look foreward too...
i'll get on the case with regard to teedra moses in the meantime so

DavidD
15-10-2004, 09:18 PM
Gotta be honest - Dip It Low didn't really make me go crazy. It reminded me a bit of the murda inc stuff from a couple years ago. Good and a bit middle of the road.

jd_
17-10-2004, 06:23 PM
Ciara's 'Hotline' + 'Oh' are my favorites on her cd (besides 'Goodies') and there's lots of good stuff on the Christina Milian outside of her single (try 'L.O.V.E', 'Highway' and 'Peanut Butter + Jelly' although there's still more on it I really like). 'What Can I Do' by Shawna's good (mostly just nice to hear Missy singing) but her really wicked track's 'Let's Go' (not R&B but I prefer it a lot to the single). And I[t's not new or naything but I only just learned a bout it this summer, Loon 'I'll Be There'.

MolexRoots
18-10-2004, 02:37 PM
That Nina Sky track is a great example of what's going on in vocal dancehall. More and more dancehall rhythms are being voiced by artists in a RnB style. At first I wasa little skeptical whether dancehall fans would absorb it but now I'm sure that it's a good look. Hearing the usual ragga chat mixed with a beautiful voice is great. Variation is just what dancehall needs to push it further into the main stream (if that's where you want it to go, that is).

Ciara... crunk n B. New look. I've only heard a couple of her tunes, the first being Goodies, loving that one. I was blown away onb my first listen of Dip It low. It wasn't the same instrumental as the full release though =/ The one I heard sounded a lot more grimey and dancehall-a-like.

Speaking of grime, I heard a very intriguing song the other day. All I remember is the beat and the radio presenter saying it was an American artist. The beat reminded me an evil UKG beat, really good. Wish I'd paid more attention to the voice now =/

giaour
18-10-2004, 04:45 PM
molex what's up with the nina sky on kopa riddim, is that a boot?

MolexRoots
18-10-2004, 05:03 PM
Nina Sky were the first to voice on Black Chiney's Kopa rhythm. Couple of other artists (Kartel, Ele, Notch, Capleton) musta heard it and jumped on. I prefer the Nina Sky remix with Baby Cham, purely because of his "Eeeeeh!".

EDIT: Just heard that grimey RnB track I mentioned. Ashanti "Only You". Chune. Feedback from all who've heard it?

DavidD
19-10-2004, 04:04 AM
The nina sky - move ya body remix w/ Vybz Kartel is excellent by the way, people should seek it out.

originaldrum
19-10-2004, 10:13 AM
Meshell Ndegeocello anyone?

and while were on the ragga / rnb tip - Cecile's "lovin it" , if you don't know get to know!

be.jazz
19-10-2004, 10:35 AM
Meshell Ndegeocello anyone?
I don't like her as much as I feel I should. "Bitter" and "Cookie," yes, "Plantation Lullabies" and "Peace Beyond Passion," no, live, yes. I haven't heard "Comfort Woman." Has "Papillon" come out yet?

Whenver Meshell is mentioned, I think of Mark Anthony Thompson, aka Chocolate Genius. "Black Music" is awesome, but fairly old now. Did anyone hear "God Music"?

originaldrum
19-10-2004, 10:55 AM
Whenever Meshell is mentioned, I think of Mark Anthony Thompson,

phew"" for a moment i though you meant Anthony Worrell Thompson - but alas

and i hear ya man, in fact i had to dig up me old copy of cookie to spell the name right - i got a habit of blocking out the bad for the good

Ach!
19-10-2004, 05:14 PM
Ashanti's "Only You" is a proper cranky metal-guitar led banger. She's ace :)

jk_gabba
19-10-2004, 08:37 PM
The brandy album is great, a bit too saccharine at times, but "Come as you are" is superb..

I was hoping the LL cool J album would be a perfect companion to the Brandy one (its timbaland as well), but so far it sounds crap..

DavidD
23-10-2004, 09:22 AM
http://www.tvtrecords.com/download/

You can get some free Teedra Moses tracks there, which are great.

DavidD
25-10-2004, 06:13 PM
What did everyone think of the Utada album?

robin
27-10-2004, 01:20 PM
what does everyone think of that new kelis single?
the one with the guy from outkast?
i downloaded it when the album first came out cause it was mentioned as being one of the good tracks,but it didnt make much impression on me and i only listened to it a couple of times
then i was in a friends house the other day and it came on mtv and i instantly loved it
all the little sounds and her voice totally make it
not to arsed about the outkast end of things but its just such a beautiful track

anyone else like it?
i'm downloading those teedra moses tracks now...

MolexRoots
27-10-2004, 01:50 PM
I love the Kelis / Andre 3000 track "Millionnaire". Typical Outkast sound which I think is brill.

be.jazz
27-10-2004, 02:04 PM
I love the Kelis / Andre 3000 track "Millionnaire". Typical Outkast sound which I think is brill.
Yeah, Kelis barely makes an impression on what's supposed to be her own song. I haven't seen the video, though, is it any good?

Did anyone else think "Trick Me," especially in the intro before the beat kicks in, sounds like an old French song (not Tchaikovsky)? It's probably due to the acoustic bass playing a two-beat.

Listening to the second half of the album (from "Millionaire" on down): is it just me or does it mostly suck? Apart from "Stick Up" (with its cool church/vampire organ music (Rambler, what piece is it that vampires always play, if you see what I mean?) and what sounds like a MIDI trumpet at one point), it's pretty dire.

scissors
27-10-2004, 11:31 PM
That organ Kelis song was produced by Dame Grease who I believe is known for his work w/ DMX. The album is a let down I agree, though I remember the closing track being pretty.

On duets, right now I'm rather fond of the Usher/AliciaKeys, "My boo".

Is the Utada album getting any attention at all? It seems to have such a melting pot agenda (spelled out repeatedly in the lyrics) which does it few favors.