Usher's "Red Light"
(is that another Lil John one?)

and best of all

Nina Sky's "Youre turning me on"

amazing bleepy stuff

whats the beyonce/jerkins track like?

S

simon silverdollar

bleepy nina sky sounds amazing. are they still slightly out of tune? i hope so...charmingly flawed singing is THE thing, for now and forever...

Jim Daze

I agree about Brandy, I need to get that record.

Anyone want to go down Rythmn Division soon, I'm too scared to go on my own during term time :)

S

simon silverdollar

is rhythm division the one with the pitbull that sits on the counter, that's in the wot do u call it video? it does look a bit scary. i'm an uptown records fan myself. cameo, who works there, is SUCH a lovely guy!

gragy10

Veteran Lurker
luka said:
the new brandy album is very beautiful.
I agree - Timbaland seems to have pulled himself out of that semi-slump from a while back. That Kiley Dean mp3 that was going around (name escapes me) was great as well. BTW has anyone else heard those Timbaland sample collages going around? Didn't realise the extent to which he samples/interpolates stuff- the source for More Than A Woman is a fine thing.
New Letoya (ex of Destinys Child) is nice as well. Just Blaze does the undemanding chipmunk thing with Walking In The Rain (Love Unlimited) to great effect.

DavidD

can't be stopped
The entire Kiley Dean album has actually leaked, its rather terrific. "Keep it Movin" and "Kiss Me Like That" are my favorites, and "Cross the Line" is excellent as well - it's a remake of Jay-Z's "It's Hot (Some Like it Hot)" but he completely transforms the mood of the song. "I know you wanna cross the line, but I can't letcha" - about sex obviously, and i like it because its not clear whether she is talking to herself or the man she's with. At first I thought it was just her talking to her man but now I'm not so sure.

The Brandy album is wonderful. On ILM there was a lot of talk that it wasn't too hot but I checked it out anyway and I'm glad I did..."Who is She 2 You" is absolutely beautiful, one of my favorite singles this year, and I love it when Brandy's got that grit in her voice, it contrasts with Timbaland's epic-sounding production really well. "I Tried" has that epic Cry Me A River/Nowhere feel which I like a lot. Also has an Iron Maiden sample! Kanye is good but he gets outshined by Timbaland here.

I think both of these albums are great.

Woebot

cool. thanks luka and david i'll check the brandy out. new lps running very low for me this year. its nearly showtime only right now.

DavidD

can't be stopped
Other R&B that should probably be mentioned...

I haven't heard all of Kevin Lyttle's album but I thought that as far as R&B goes "The Soul of Soca" has a really great voice and "Turn Me On" and "Last Drop" and "Call Me" are gems. Speaking of Soca, h2O Phlo's "A Little Closer" (you can find it on Soca Gold 2004) is a great R&B track too.

Ciara's "bubble crunk" probably also deserves a mention.

I'm curious, does anyone here use itunes to buy singles? I'd like to start doing that once I get a computer than can handle itunes (I'm still on windows ME). I feel like the Nina Sky and Kevin Lyttle albums are probably not ones that I'd want to go beyond a couple songs for.

Its pretty old now but the Usher album had some great songs on it. Usher's "Throwback" was a better version of what Kanye's done with Brandy and Alicia Keys. I wish it was a single - as far as I'm concerned Just Blaze is the soul of New York right now.

Last edited:
C

captain easychord

Jim Daze said:
I agree about Brandy, I need to get that record.

Anyone want to go down Rythmn Division soon, I'm too scared to go on my own during term time :)

yo i was planning to check out RD on my trip to london next week. is it really that intimdating? i'm a little concerned about being a canadian student walking around bow by myself.

S

simon silverdollar

bow's nice!
never been to rhythm division. it's just their dog that scares me.

C

captain easychord

LOL i think i can handle the dog. i have to take a look at that shop though; they've got big boy exclusives. (nuff ruff squad tingz)
ll

B

be.jazz

Does anyone have the Donny Hathaway compilation that came out recently? There are some new performances, but is it worth getting if you already have (all of) and love (most of) his solo work?

Backjob

His most famous hour was on Roy Davis Junior's "Gabrielle" which was one of the high points of US garage, and kind of a defining track for the UK variety also....

Ciara's been mentioned already but I'll second that recommendation. "Goodies" is one of my favorite tunes of the year and I just got her new "1, 2 Step" single today and it's quite nice as well.
Also Shawna's "Shake That Shit" single on DefJam is great too. Nice sped-up guitar sample with Ludacris making a cameo that actually matters.

mms

sometimes
Backjob said:
His most famous hour was on Roy Davis Junior's "Gabrielle" which was one of the high points of US garage, and kind of a defining track for the UK variety also....

well i never, i didn't actually put the two together, yep that track is amazing.

Diggedy Derek

Stray Dog
Peven Everett's Studio Confessions was a whole album on his RnB tip, and it was pretty excellent. Understated production, whispered vocals, imagine Larry Heard doing something downtempo and you'd be quite close.