The Flaming Lips - 'Embryonic' (2009)

soundslike1981

Hey Dissensians--been a while. But I've got an album that's very likely going to create a strong dissensus--but which has absolutely shocked me by being laser-guided-missile brilliant, to my tastes.

The Flaming Lips, acid-washed weirdos from the definitive hinterland who had a string of mainstream success with gilded but still weird pop, who became beloved cartoon characters of stage performance (bunny suits, confetti, 10-foot bubbles), have stripped all of it away and created a truly remarkable album.

flaming_lips-embryonic.jpg

Stream it here.

While it sounds (literally and figuratively) not quite like anything else, it has roots in all the sort of stuff that drives off-the-deep-end music geeks wild--fusion-era Miles Davis, early Kraftwerk or Can, Bernard Parmegiani and Brian Eno, Raymond Scott and the BBC Radiophonic, Italian and French prog, early Pink Floyd and This Heat, etc. But it really adds up to a lot more than that, to my ears.

A lot of people seem to be reporting that it takes them a few listens for what initially seems sprawling and diffuse to reveal its immersive intensity. It hit home immediately for me, but with repeated listens its taken even deeper hold. I'm not one to become "fan-ish" about any new release--but this album has compelled me to listen to it probably 15 or more times since I first heard it last month. It's a sound-world unto itself, and I keep wanting to get lost in it.

If anybody here just remembers The Flaming Lips as "those guys that did that song about Jelly" or for the sunny grin of "Do You Realize?!?," this album could dispel all misgivings. It's seriously muscular, thoughtful, penetrating--something I would not have expected by a rock band, especially in its 26th year.

(I've also created a "response mix" that attempts to reflect the feeling of the album, by pulling together Krautrock, musique concrete, sound library stuff, soundtrack music, fusion jazz, careful psychedelia, and even a little Led Zeppelin: http://musicophilia.wordpress.com/2009/10/12/one-off-zygotic-after-the-flaming-lips-embryonic-2009/ )

Give it a shot, you might be surprised to hear anything like from "rock," in 2009. If you were at all pleasantly surprised by last years Portishead revival, the Flaming Lips have captured that resurgence and doubled it. I'd be very curious to hear what you think.

woops

is not like other people
anybody seen Famous Freaks, or whatever it's called, the Flaming Lips documentary?
Keen to see

Benny Bunter

Yeah, I'm quite interested in hearing this. Might be my first 'rock' album purchase in two years. Wasn't too bowled over by their last couple of albums, but I've been a fan ever since 'The Soft Bulletin' which remains a tremendous record.

What I've heard of the new stuff seems much more like their earlier records, like 'Priest Driven Ambulance' sort of gear which is fine by me. I really hope its a sgood as you say it is. I like Wayne Coyne. :)

Anyone ever heard 'Zaireeka' properly, with all four cds played simultaneously? Fantastic!

soundslike1981

What I've heard of the new stuff seems much more like their earlier records, like 'Priest Driven Ambulance' sort of gear which is fine by me. I really hope its a sgood as you say it is. I like Wayne Coyne. :)

It's got the energy of the early stuff, but it's definitely a record made by adults, in a good way. I guess a lot of people will mourn the loss of the merry prankster and goodly-elf character Coyne has projected the last decade or so, but I've never been so happy to see someone shed grinning, eternal optimism. (That said, he's surely still a fundamentally joyful person, if the recent video shoot in my city, Portland, OR, is anything to go by--inspired by our "naked bike rides" with thousands of naked bike riders, he got hundreds of people together to run around naked in a local park with him.) Still--this is not a smiley album.

Anyone ever heard 'Zaireeka' properly, with all four cds played simultaneously? Fantastic!

I liked the albums 1993-1995, but 'Zaireeka' was the real watershed, for me--we probably did at least half a dozen "'Zaireeka' parties" and I was always astonished I was able to get fairly normal people to listen to such odd and fairly experimental music. It was always a real event.

Check out the mix, too--it would definitely appeal to some Dissensians:

http://musicophilia.wordpress.com/2009/10/12/one-off-zygotic-after-the-flaming-lips-embryonic-2009/

Lewis

Wild Horses
Really enjoying this mix, been sound-tracking my bus to work. And it's a tough gig first thing in the morning let me tell you.

Haven't heard that Lips album yet. I've found their more recent stuff to be a bit happy-clappy but will give this a try.