Gogo

Aww Nein

Wild Palms
I heard some music from this blog twankle and glisten called "Gogo" or "Crank", and wanted to share it here, i didnt have a clue what was going on at first as it sounded like the messiest jumble hip hop racket i'd heard, but what i was presuming to be crazy production was something more like a live funk band + samples, effects and loads of hype men, and this incredibly staggered percussive punching flow over the tracks....

heres some versions and a live video where you get more of an idea what its about...
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

theres another two versions of Birthday sex by XIB and TOB also (dunno the deal with the 3 letter names)

live video where you can see it go off...

im pretty into this continuum of music, american regional genre splintering off from hip hop and kinda devolving back to more club based forms, this from DC with its live band party atmosphere more like a funk entourage, New Orleans Bounce and Sissy rap, and Juke with its extreme dance competitions and music tailored specifically to suit these flurrys of movement. I see this almost as a negative of Juke, the flabby kick drum propulsion and hype compared to the incredibly cold layers of pitched sample loops and quantised clips and pops...

whatcha think?

michael

Bring out the vacuum
There was some talk (mostly) about the form as it was back in the 80s in another thread:

http://www.dissensus.com/showthread.php?t=9506

I hadn't checked out this contemporary stuff at all... Can't say I enjoy it much recorded - the mixes stifle the energy it sounds like the bands are trying for. But that last vid does make it look like it would blow up live.

Aww Nein

Wild Palms
the recordings are pretty lofi, doesnt put me off too much but the kick especially on some of them is incredibly distorted. the 80s stuff seems interesting i didnt realise it went that far back, at least with the same name...

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
not to do with gogo, but your discussion of regional american genres:

http://www.crossfadedbacon.com/2008/11/09/mad-decent-worldwide-radio-30-bounce-it/

disclaimer: it's something to do with Diplo, but the music's good, so i don't care. Never heard sissy rap before, and that Chev track (#3) is amazing!

Edit: Actually, the trck I meant is a John Legend remix...who'd-a thought? utterly sick, and utterly unlike John legend. Sounds like Bollywood in space.

Last edited:

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
thanks for that, will check it out later.

Diplo obviously gets a lot of bad press - I suppose he is accused of not really engaging with the musics he's pushing, of using them as 'cool' signifiers and then dropping them? Which is obv bad, if that is indeed the charge. Either way, as you said, the stuff that he does pick up is usually worth a look, due to its quality.

Client Eastwood

the recordings are pretty lofi, doesnt put me off too much but the kick especially on some of them is incredibly distorted. the 80s stuff seems interesting i didnt realise it went that far back, at least with the same name...

Yeah not so much with rap tho' iirc. Can only think of this rap/go-go which is worth posting for the intro alone. Bang Zoom (Let's Go Go) by Rozanne Shante

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
Yeah not so much with rap tho' iirc. Can only think of this rap/go-go which is worth posting for the intro alone. Bang Zoom (Let's Go Go) by Rozanne Shante

OHMIGOD YOU JUST COMMITTED A MORTAL SIN! That track is by the Real Roxanne, Roxanne Shante's SWORN ENEMY TIL DEATH! Shante is gonna come for you, Bang Diddley! I'd watch out! She'll eat your face off and have it for brunch!

Man, I would be scared. The Roxanne Wars were THE WORST. Ever hear 'Roxanne's a Man?' Oh my god.

Client Eastwood

OHMIGOD YOU JUST COMMITTED A MORTAL SIN! That track is by the Real Roxanne, Roxanne Shante's SWORN ENEMY TIL DEATH! Shante is gonna come for you, Bang Diddley! I'd watch out! She'll eat your face off and have it for brunch!

Man, I would be scared. The Roxanne Wars were THE WORST. Ever hear 'Roxanne's a Man?' Oh my god.

LOL. Shit man your right im cacking it.

After posting that link I listened to some of the Roxanne wars on the YouTube. Not heard Roxanne A Man but will check. There was a pretty good Roxanne (cant remember if it was Real or Shante) diss on KRS1's The Bridge is Over. Funny as . . .

DannyL

Wild Horses
There's a ton of Roxanne stuff - about 30 records including, if memory serves, "Roxanne's a man", "Roxanne's Doctor" and "Roxanne's Dog".

It's amazing what you find yourself writing on the internet 25 years after it happened

benjybars

village elder.
the guy who plays Slim Charles in The Wire is in a go-go band... that's all the seal of approval it needs for me..

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
check out Sissy Nobby "Loopy" on youtube also.

mms

sometimes
There's a ton of Roxanne stuff - about 30 records including, if memory serves, "Roxanne's a man", "Roxanne's Doctor" and "Roxanne's Dog".

It's amazing what you find yourself writing on the internet 25 years after it happened

this is still ridiculously hard though i tell uh

from the first line
murderous.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Now KRS-ONE, you should go on vacation/ With that name soundin like a wack radio station....

haven't heard this in years...she sounds like she's perpetually about to lose control. In a good way.

Edit: Interesting/unusual? references too: Lola Falana, Nell Carter....And that line about Roxanne getting loose on the mic is hilarious, given how tightly coiled she sounds. Absolute classic, all in all.

Last edited: