so i'm writing an essay starting with 'the black atlantic'

• Thread starter captain easychord
  • Start date
C

captain easychord

what else should i read? i'm still just reading, pre-thesis...

nomos

Administrator
LOL. I'm Black Atlantic-ing as we speak. What sort of themes are you working with?

C

captain easychord

autonomicforthepeople said:
LOL. I'm Black Atlantic-ing as we speak. What sort of themes are you working with?

haha, identity and representation primarily.

nomos

Administrator
Stuart Hall's essay "New Ethnicities" is a good starting point - discusses the politics of identity and representation, particulary in Hanif Kureishi's work. I'd also have a go at Gilroy's Against Race (2000). He problematises some of the assumptions made in Hall's piece (and anti-racism and cult studs in general) and works through spectacularized identities/commodification of mediated black body images, biopolitics of race, etc. This one's really interesting because he rejects the PoMo affection for difference and argues for a re-assertion of essential human commonality.

If there's a diaspora element to what you're doing, you might try Routes by James Clifford. bell hooks' We Real Cool partly deals with representating black masculinty in hip hop.

Last edited:
C

captain easychord

anybody else? identity, blackness, representation via music culture?

Pearsall

Prodigal Son
Thomas Sowell Ethnic America
David K. Shipler A Country of Strangers: Blacks and Whites in America

Last edited:

nomos

Administrator
A few more:

Tricia Rose Black Noise
Dick Hebdige Cut 'n' Mix
Tony Mitchell Global Noise: Rap and Hip Hop Outside the USA
Russell Potter Spectacular Vernaculars
Keith Negus Popular Music in Theory

For Canada, also check Will Straw "In and Around Canadian Music" Journal of Canadian Studies (sometime in 2000) and Rinaldo Walcott Black Like Who?

Last edited:

ripley

If I understand what you're getting at..

For the US - Robin DG Kelley's done some solid work. I liked some of the essays in _Yo Mama’s Dysfunktional_ quite a bit, although I geek out on the historical work even more (a fantastic account/analysis of Alabama Communists during the Great Depression: Hammer & Hoe). Haven't read the latest stuff.

snowcrash

Some more books around identity, culture, globalization etc:

Hesse, B. Un/settled Multiculturalisms, Zed

Bhabha - Location of Culture

Bull & Back - Auditory Cultures

Stuart Hall, 1992 'The question of cultural identity' (Ch.6), in Hall et al (eds) Modernity and its Futures, Polity

Robert Stam & Ella Shohat, 1994. Unthinking Eurocentrism: multiculturalism and the media. London: Routledge.

John Tomlinson, 1999. Globalization and Culture, Oxford: Polity

Jan N Pieterse, 2004. Globalization and Culture, Oxford: Rowman & Littlefield

hth
snowcrash

maybe not directly relevant, but Ann Laura Stoler 'Race and the Education of Desire' is great on extending Foucault's eurocentric focus on the construction of bourgeois identity in europe beyond its geographical boundaries, arguing that the bourgeois body was formed as much in the colonies as in europe (i.e. against a racial as much as a class 'Other') ... good historical-theoretical basis through which to understand the genesis of stereotypical notions of 'blackness' & masculnity circulating in contemporary popular culture ... and interesting because she gives a synopsis of Foucault's lectures on racism, which were never made into book format and i think arent that easy to come across ....