PDA

View Full Version : Ramleh (90s version with guitars)

john eden
26-10-2009, 02:25 PM
I dug out the Blowhole LP last night and bar one track it is bloody excellent driving droning sinister ROCK!

I was doing the ironing, and yet also simultaneously confronting the darker recesses of my consciousness and THAT OF ALL HUMANITY.

It was ace.

Can anyone recommend any other Ramleh for me? Not really the power electronics stuff though, unless you really have to.

STN
26-10-2009, 02:27 PM
Did your partner enjoy it as much as you did?

john eden
26-10-2009, 02:31 PM
Did your partner enjoy it as much as you did?

She was in another room. It isn't possible to confront the darkest recesses of your consciousness with a girl in the room!

bassbeyondreason
26-10-2009, 03:56 PM
The 2 7"s on Dying Earth Records (Loser Patrol and Say Fuck) are probably my favourite Ramleh rock stuff I've heard.

I assume you're familiar with the Skullflower stuff?

john eden
26-10-2009, 04:08 PM
Yeah I had a bunch of Skullflower on tape at the time but I always liked Ramleh more for some reason...

I actually saw them both live at this festival in Northampton around 1992 (or possibly it was just Ramleh - very good anyway).

(also Total or Sunroof some years later, upstairs at the Garage, they were really awful).

Thanks for the tip offs on the sevens - there's a comp I will have to check out.

BSquires
27-10-2009, 01:49 PM
John, I was at the Northampton Festival as well! Skullflower and Ramleh played with Headbutt, Splintered and a few others if memory serves. Ramleh were the stars of the show. Skullflower were never the same without Stefan Jaworzyn and this gig was after he'd left...

As for the Ramleh stuff apart from the Blowhole LP, the previous LP 'Grudge for Life' is similar i.e. guitar-based, but there aren't any drums/drum machines on it for I guess it fits inbetween the PE and the later rock stuff. The split LP with MMT (Crystal Revenge) has one-side of Blowhole style-stuff (alternate takes perhaps), they were then due to release another LP in a similar style on Shock called 'Shooter's Hill'. This eventually turned up as one disc in a 2CD package called 'Works III' which I also think you may enjoy... I've not listened to this stuff for a while though... from memory later releases like 'Homeless', 'Be Careful What You Wish For' and 'Boeing' are all pretty good. Most use drums, not the drum machine of Blowhole and I remember 'BCWYWF' being quite arty. The singles comp is generally more in this later style (I think). The strangest thing is they put at a 10" early this year after many years away and it is also excellent driving noise rock...

john eden
27-10-2009, 02:14 PM
Thanks B - all helpful stuff!

I used to knock about a fair bit with Justin who put on that show (and also did the Shrine comp which was similar stuff)

Ramleh were excellent and I assume Headbutt were also (because they always were). Can't remember much about the rest of it.

BSquires
29-10-2009, 10:25 AM
No worries - it all makes sense...

Without wanting to sound like a stalker I was also into Marillion in the Fish days and was also at the Milton Keynes Garden Party... Jethro Tull were surprisingly good I thought and like you I also hated Gary Moore... Mama's Boys were an irish(?) hard rock band with the immortal lyric, 'she really likes to move when the needle's in the groove'... very poor... I also enjoyed Marillion but I was soon to 'move on' to thrash metal and US hardcore plus some british indie/goth and eventually post-hardcore/industrial and beyond... I've really enjoyed your 'first 23 gigs' on the blog...

I also was into The Mission during a particularly 'lost' period and had a ticket for a gig a Rock City but in the end couldn't go - thank god as they were an awful outfit...

blacktulip
29-10-2009, 05:40 PM
It isn't possible to confront the darkest recesses of your consciousness with a girl in the room!

Tell that to Dean Martin, Jerry Lewis, Dennis Hopper...

john eden
30-10-2009, 09:51 AM
Tell that to Dean Martin, Jerry Lewis, Dennis Hopper...

yeah well, it's different for our yankee bredrin innit. ;)

john eden
30-10-2009, 09:54 AM
No worries - it all makes sense...

Without wanting to sound like a stalker I was also into Marillion in the Fish days and was also at the Milton Keynes Garden Party... Jethro Tull were surprisingly good I thought and like you I also hated Gary Moore... Mama's Boys were an irish(?) hard rock band with the immortal lyric, 'she really likes to move when the needle's in the groove'... very poor... I also enjoyed Marillion but I was soon to 'move on' to thrash metal and US hardcore plus some british indie/goth and eventually post-hardcore/industrial and beyond... I've really enjoyed your 'first 23 gigs' on the blog...

I also was into The Mission during a particularly 'lost' period and had a ticket for a gig a Rock City but in the end couldn't go - thank god as they were an awful outfit...

Ha ha, this is great! I guess we're of a similar age, very funny.

I must get back to that series - there is a bit of a tail off as my music taste got better, but still some gems in there....

I've now got hold of Boeing and Switch Hitter courtesy of the nice people at Second Layer. The 10" is pretty great but Boeing is a surprisingly mainstream, still OK - will have to give it all due attention over time.

martin
30-10-2009, 11:48 PM
I saw Ramleh play live in London in '07, supported by Unit, with Jim Bunnyhouse and the foxy chick who edits / used to edit Plan B mag. Wasn't really into it tho everyone else went apeshit. Never been a big fan of their extended guitar workouts, I wish they'd stick to stuff like this - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdNTa8q0Lag

Sadly no hurling beer glasses at the audience or sig-heiling beneath Manson 'RISE' banners... guess hitting 40 and having kids takes its toll...

bunnyhausen
31-10-2009, 12:52 PM
yeah, i don't think ramleh weren't really up to much that evening were they? i seem to recall i was erroneously expecting them to do a one-off power-electronics set for the occasion (maybe i thought that cos they'd just re-released all the broken flag stuff?)

anyway, i think i was just upset cos we missed unit so my mood was soured from thereon. i seem to remember there was another support band who were immeasurably worse than ramleh, too. vocalist spouting some embarrasingly bad sub penny rimbaud drivel. memories of that night are a bit hazy...

martin
06-11-2009, 10:26 AM
And, as if by magic:

Ramleh will play a power electronics set to celebrate the release of "Valediction" their new power electronics album

When:
Friday, 11 Dec 2009, 19:30

Where:
The Grosvenor
17 Sidney Road, Stockwell
London
London and South East
SW9 0TP

STN
06-11-2009, 10:32 AM
That is a good pub, it is full of people who look like they have probably mailed things to John Eden. Stay off the real ale though, in favour of the Stowford Press.

I know none of you were planning to invite me, but no, I don't want to see Ramleh.

martin
06-11-2009, 10:38 AM
full of people who look like they have probably mailed things to John Eden

Now I don't want to go see them.

STN
06-11-2009, 10:42 AM
You say as if by 'magic', what is this 'magic'?

martin
06-11-2009, 10:50 AM
It's too complex to explain fully to a commoner like you, but basically it's to do with kicking the Arabs and Israelis out of the Middle East and re-establishing the Panion as the region's cultural and spiritual epicentre.

STN
06-11-2009, 10:53 AM
do you actually have to kick them out, or do you just sit around really really hoping they'll go?

martin
06-11-2009, 11:00 AM
Er...invoke Pan and scare them out. I think? Actually, I think the UN should declare a nation swap, say, every 2 years. I'd like England to swap with Germany for a while, cos I've become addicted to Pauliner and bratwursts of late. Spurs can play at Kaiserslautern's stadium. It'll be a logistical fuck-up when the entire population of India has to move to Ireland, but at least we'll all get to see the world.

john eden
16-11-2009, 04:36 PM
http://www.secondlayer.co.uk/images/ramleh-flyer.jpg

classic flyer! :D

are you going, martin?

john eden
16-11-2009, 04:41 PM
oh yeah - has anyone still got the big David Keenan piece on Ramleh which was in the issue of The Wire with Mauritz Von Oswald on the cover?

I have stupidly recycled mine and would really like to read it again.

martin
16-11-2009, 05:00 PM
http://www.secondlayer.co.uk/images/ramleh-flyer.jpg

classic flyer! :D

are you going, martin?

Yeah, I think so, has to be done really.

BSquires
24-11-2009, 12:56 PM
Ha ha, this is great! I guess we're of a similar age, very funny.

I must get back to that series - there is a bit of a tail off as my music taste got better, but still some gems in there....

I've now got hold of Boeing and Switch Hitter courtesy of the nice people at Second Layer. The 10" is pretty great but Boeing is a surprisingly mainstream, still OK - will have to give it all due attention over time.

Yes, I've just turned forty (!) this year... Had a listen to 'Homeless' recently and although it wasn't quite as good as I remembered (what is) there was a pretty excellent guitar workout called 'Fagenders' I really enjoyed...

I still have the Ramleh feature from The Wire if you haven't tracked it down yet. If not let me know and I'll send you it...

john eden
24-11-2009, 01:14 PM
Well we are pretty much exactly the same age, then :D

Yes please on the Wire article. I've got some bits I can send in return like an interview with anthony di franco from adverse effect zine which is pretty good.

BSquires
27-11-2009, 01:11 PM
Well we are pretty much exactly the same age, then :D

Yes please on the Wire article. I've got some bits I can send in return like an interview with anthony di franco from adverse effect zine which is pretty good.

:D indeed... I think I might have that interview with ADF, but I'll have a look over the weekend...

PM me your address and I'll stick The Wire in the post pronto...

philblackpool
29-11-2009, 08:56 AM
I've not been on here for a while & missed contributing to all this...My pal Simon has just put on the rock line-up in Blackpool, so hope everyone who was likely to go to that knew about it! (I missed it in the end cos I was ill - doh!). I agree with the bits about those 7"s being very good & the new 10" being good, & Boeing etc being surprisingly mainstream. The only PE thing I have by em is Elite Gymnastics, which is very good of its type I think. I also have Mr Mundy's Blind Alley CD, which is very enjoyable inna sorta similar guitary vein...

john eden
07-01-2010, 03:12 PM
The droney tracks on "Be Careful What You Wish For" are superb.

BSquires
26-01-2010, 12:22 PM
Just got copies of the 'Hole in the Heart' 2CD re-issue and the new PE 'Valediction' CD. The 'Hole in the Heart' is pretty good - sits between the PE and the psych-style and near to the 'Grudge for Life' LP. Very strange sound - drones and synth/guitar noise with stacks of reverb and suitably distressed vocals... much better than I expected actually. I've not got into the new CD yet though...

John - still enjoying those 'first gigs' posts - I missed the SWANS Children of God gig at Manchester were I was at Uni due to funds/lack of gig buddy... I thought I'd see them next time - typically of course when I did catch them it was the folky pluckings of The Burnigg World Tour - not without its charms but I'd have preferred the more heavy material to be honest... Saw them again a couple of times during the later years including the last ever gig which was pretty good as well... As for the Buttholes never saw them but Locust Abortion Technician was the one! 1987 what a year ;-)

john eden
26-01-2010, 12:57 PM
Just got copies of the 'Hole in the Heart' 2CD re-issue and the new PE 'Valediction' CD. The 'Hole in the Heart' is pretty good - sits between the PE and the psych-style and near to the 'Grudge for Life' LP. Very strange sound - drones and synth/guitar noise with stacks of reverb and suitably distressed vocals... much better than I expected actually. I've not got into the new CD yet though...

John - still enjoying those 'first gigs' posts - I missed the SWANS Children of God gig at Manchester were I was at Uni due to funds/lack of gig buddy... I thought I'd see them next time - typically of course when I did catch them it was the folky pluckings of The Burnigg World Tour - not without its charms but I'd have preferred the more heavy material to be honest... Saw them again a couple of times during the later years including the last ever gig which was pretty good as well... As for the Buttholes never saw them but Locust Abortion Technician was the one! 1987 what a year ;-)

Oh that's good about "hole in the heart" - I was interested in that and the guy in Second Layer tried to "up-sell" me one when I got Boeing and the 10" but I resisted. Will check that out next time I get an inkling.

Yeah I quite liked "burning world" when it came out, but had no particular desire to see it done live... that Joy Division cover was pretty awful as well, wasn't it?

Glad you like the blog stuff - it's a lot of fun to do! Nice to reflect on all that stuff and reappraise the period - very fertile indeed...

john eden
26-01-2010, 12:58 PM
also - this looks good but is taking an age to come out (worse than woofah ha ha!)

http://www.asloudaspossible.org/current_issue.html

http://www.asloudaspossible.org/images/alap_new_cover.jpg

john eden
01-03-2010, 11:25 AM
Played "Homeless" last night. It definitely has its moments - some really nice long instrumental tracks and then LIFT OFF when the ranty vocals come in after about half an hour.

Then lots of lo-fi dicking about for no obvious reason.

And a bizarre floaty closing number in which we are informed "everything is going to be ok" several times. Which is actually quite eerie, coming from Ramleh.

Catbwoy
04-03-2010, 07:22 AM
also - this looks good but is taking an age to come out (worse than woofah ha ha!)

Is this actually available yet? I've been checking the distributors and can't find anything as yet..

john eden
30-03-2010, 12:39 PM
No, the mag seems permanently delayed from what I've read.

I think it will come out eventually though.

back to Ramleh - "Slack Jaw" off the "Too Many Miles" comp is brilliant, as is most of the rest of it.

BSquires
28-05-2010, 01:22 PM
Oh that's good about "hole in the heart" - I was interested in that and the guy in Second Layer tried to "up-sell" me one when I got Boeing and the 10" but I resisted. Will check that out next time I get an inkling.

Yeah I quite liked "burning world" when it came out, but had no particular desire to see it done live... that Joy Division cover was pretty awful as well, wasn't it?

Glad you like the blog stuff - it's a lot of fun to do! Nice to reflect on all that stuff and reappraise the period - very fertile indeed...

John - I've picked up the S.P.I.T.E. LP which appears to be a pre-Ramleh Gary Mundy power electronics solo LP - not as good as the Ramleh PE stuff to be honest... I believe the PE version of Ramleh is gigging in August - I wonder if that means the Awake! CD boxset is finally due to be out...

Anyway the real reason I posted was to let you know I was also at that Foetus Interruptus gig as well :D Not sure which night though... It was pretty enjoyable as far as remember... like you I stopped being interested after then... thought that would make you smile...

subvert47
14-08-2010, 01:51 AM
I believe the PE version of Ramleh is gigging in August

saw them in Nottingham this evening

they were fucking loud :D

BSquires
14-08-2010, 10:15 AM
saw them in Nottingham this evening

they were fucking loud :D

They were indeed - most enjoyable...

john eden
14-08-2010, 03:30 PM
Glad the gig was good! Harbinger have just repressed hand of glory on 12" again.

ALAP is apparently out in the next few weeks according to the guy who gave mr a flyer for it last night.

john eden
14-08-2010, 03:30 PM
And yeah, that's funny about Foetus! :)

subvert47
14-08-2010, 06:27 PM
Glad the gig was good! Harbinger have just repressed hand of glory on 12" again.

ALAP is apparently out in the next few weeks according to the guy who gave mr a flyer for it last night.

yeah, there was quite a bit of vinyl for sale, but I didn't have the money for any of it :(

john eden
03-11-2010, 12:08 PM

This is now out and is very good on first skim. It's a bit like a Woofah for noise, in fact.

The Broken Flag piece is amazingly in depth with lots of reflection and anecdotes from pretty much all the key players.

Kate Mossad
03-11-2010, 04:08 PM
Don't really approve of the use of topless 'eye candy' to sell magazines :slanted:

BSquires
04-11-2010, 12:56 PM
This is now out and is very good on first skim. It's a bit like a Woofah for noise, in fact.

The Broken Flag piece is amazingly in depth with lots of reflection and anecdotes from pretty much all the key players.

Got my copy yesterday and I concur - very good - especially the Broken Flag story - essential for the four Ramleh fans on Dissensus I reckon...

john eden
04-11-2010, 01:06 PM
The Haters piece and the stuff on Interchange fanzine (and the notorious North East grave robbing incident) are also very good.

john eden
10-02-2011, 11:18 PM
http://www.uncarved.org/blog/2011/02/ramleh-meets-blaster-bates-at-uptown-congleton/

:)

BSquires
17-02-2011, 12:24 PM
http://www.uncarved.org/blog/2011/02/ramleh-meets-blaster-bates-at-uptown-congleton/

:)

John - this is a work of genius :D

john eden
17-02-2011, 01:38 PM
John - this is a work of genius :D

Glad you like it - I think most people will find it completely confusing ;)

john eden
12-04-2011, 10:16 PM
http://www.uncarved.org/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/niche.jpg

This is good.

I just scored a copy of "Crystal Revenge" as well, which is really nice - a lot more spacey than Blowhole but from the same sessions I think.

So yeah got most of the geetar albums now that are reasonably easy to get hold of... need to spend some proper time with them and report back properly.

mistersloane
12-04-2011, 10:26 PM
http://www.uncarved.org/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/niche.jpg

This is good.

Yay that's my mate Nick's zine!

john eden
13-04-2011, 10:49 PM
Yay that's my mate Nick's zine!

Ah cool, I reviewed it here as well: http://www.uncarved.org/blog/2011/01/niche-homo/

mistersloane
13-04-2011, 11:53 PM
Ah cool, I reviewed it here as well: http://www.uncarved.org/blog/2011/01/niche-homo/

He used to do another one called Sodapressed a few years back before it turned into Niche Homo, which was equally good. I like his interviews. Glad you liked it, I passed this on x

blacktulip
14-04-2011, 08:13 AM
He used to do another one called Sodapressed a few years back before it turned into Niche Homo, which was equally good. I like his interviews. Glad you liked it, I passed this on x

Ordered! Like the 536 squids digital option.

john eden
11-09-2011, 06:15 PM
Second Layer and Harbinger Sound presents...

BROKEN FLAG 30TH ANNIVERSARY

Ramleh, The New Blockaders, Controlled Bleeding, Prurient, Le Syndicat, Skullflower, Consumer Electronics, JFK, Sewer Election, Grunt, Kleistwahr, and loads more.

May 4th 6th 2012, The Dome, Tufnell Park, London.

Hmm!

martin
15-09-2011, 04:51 PM
Hmm!

I suppose the odds of CE / Ramleh / Skullflower all being on the same night are pretty low, which means...yeah, 'hmm'. Having to drink through a load of crap in the meantime. Why the fuck did anyone book Grunt?

john eden
15-09-2011, 11:07 PM
I suppose the odds of CE / Ramleh / Skullflower all being on the same night are pretty low, which means...yeah, 'hmm'. Having to drink through a load of crap in the meantime. Why the fuck did anyone book Grunt?

Well I guess grunt are current so good for da kidz?!

Hoping for a JFK, Skullflower and ramleh guitars set on the same night. But a lot depends on the programme, quite!

I guess the Awake! 8 CD set may come out then too?

BSquires
03-05-2012, 12:06 PM
Well I guess grunt are current so good for da kidz?!

Hoping for a JFK, Skullflower and ramleh guitars set on the same night. But a lot depends on the programme, quite!

I guess the Awake! 8 CD set may come out then too?

I've got a pass for the whole weekend - anybody else foolish enough to be there?

Yes the 'Awake!' thing will be out then plus some other 'exclusives'...

blacktulip
03-05-2012, 01:50 PM
Why the fuck did anyone book Grunt?

The scene has dominion.

BSquires
25-09-2016, 07:52 PM
Anyone else enjoying 'Circular Time'? or the recent rash of Kleistwahr CDs? Certainly been enjoying the elegiac vibe of the latter...

And John - how was the Cafe Oto evening?

john eden
26-09-2016, 08:15 AM
Yes Circular Time is great but suffers from the all too common "double album that should have been an album" syndrome.

OTO was mixed but overall two really good sets. The guitar one way better than the Broken Flag festival.

BSquires
26-09-2016, 01:19 PM
Yes Circular Time is great but suffers from the all too common "double album that should have been an album" syndrome.

OTO was mixed but overall two really good sets. The guitar one way better than the Broken Flag festival.

Thanks John - Yes Circular Time is a bit of a monster and probably could have used some editing... Glad you enjoyed the OTO event and that they've improved their three-piece approach since the BF festival... Have you pick up the recent 12" on Entropy? Pretty keen on the noisy side... and I see that first (split) album is about to be re-issued as well...

I managed to catch the 3-piece Consumer Electronics line-up in Notts earlier in the year - excellent I thought - especially Sarah's vocals... looking forward to their next offering...

and finally the latest Con-Dom is an excellent and troubling piece of work - although I might be at the outer edge of Dissensus thought on that one...

john eden
26-09-2016, 05:10 PM
Yeah there were bits of guitar set which were transcendental which is all I ask really...

Not picked up any of the other recent stuff, the Kleistwahr etc. Not much time to listen to stuff to I can't really justify it.

I keep meaning to get the CE bits with Russell Haswell because his stuff is great but haven't managed it - and yes agree re: Sarah, puts a different slant on the whole thing which is very welcome.

The Con-Dom album is about his Mum dying? It's better subject matter than "Even More Racial Hatred" and all those other early tapes that used to be on microscopic flyers you would get from the Grey Wolves but I've never really enjoyed his stuff. It suggests some maturing which is unusual in P.E. - hence David Keenan's thing about it all being adolescent etc.

I'm reading the "Fight Your Own War" book about power electronics that Headpress published and it is OK, brilliant in places (some good anecdotes and people who get into the black humour of it all) and not so good in others (long and boring accounts of the development of scenes in other countries which just read like "and then X formed Y and they released an album called Z on such and such a label.")

john eden
26-09-2016, 05:21 PM
See this review from Discogs is exactly my problem with Con-Dom

On the surface, Con-Dom may seem like a bigoted asshole but when you dive more into Mike's work you will find that the "racist" aesthetic is more of a social commentary that provides a criticism of both the left and the right. Once you look past the shocking imagery, you will find that Con-Dom makes some of the best Power Electronics, with a diverse scope in sound ranging from wall noise to harsh P.E. to atmospheric industiral, all with Mike's trademark angry vocals that sound like wacked out priest giving the final sermon of their life as judgement day reigns upon the world.

His work is meant to shock, but also entice critical thought about racism and bigotry.

With that in mind, it makes me scratch my head how Con-Dom developed a reputation as a hateful bigot meanwhile groups like Whitehouse, who arguably have the same levels of "hatred" in their lyrics become known as industrial icons. I only say this because I truly think Mike Dando deserves more praise for his contributions to Power Electronics and noise and that's exactly why I wrote this review.

Like I don't think he actually has a reputation for being a hateful bigot because nobody has heard of the guy. But at the same time that would hardly be an incomprehensible reaction to his material and it is frankly a bit wearying to be told that's wrong because you've not tried hard enough (or are too stupid to get it, or need to give the guy a break because he is a really nice guy honest).

But yes the new album sounds intriguing and actually about something that has directly affected him rather than this abstract "investigation" about the evils or religion or the bad racisms.

Martin D
27-09-2016, 06:43 PM
You should suggest a Comp Jon, Shower of Shite to Iron (Cross) 2 :)

BSquires
28-09-2016, 12:16 PM
Glad the Ramleh live guitar assault hit all the right buttons for you - kicking myself for missing it to be honest... I have just order the Headpress book - your review reminded me but I take the warning about the micro-scene documentation...

Yes, that is the Con-Dom album I was thinking of - definitely worth a listen although it might not hit the spot for you. In general I understand where you are coming from of course - must admit I have a soft spot for 'The Eight Pillar' as well - also a more personal take on the PE thing. I've not heard much more although I did enjoy him at the Broken Flag festival as well plus I saw him in Leeds a couple of times as one-half The Grey Wolves which I quite enjoyed... Have you ever heard anything by Iron Justice? Their 'Manufacture Of Consent' LP is a favourite... and what about Iron Fist of the Sun - also a quite different take in such material...

I must admit I feel a little exposed discussing such stuff on Dissensus :eek: :D

subvert47
29-09-2016, 09:53 PM
I managed to catch the 3-piece Consumer Electronics line-up in Notts earlier in the year - excellent I thought - especially Sarah's vocals... looking forward to their next offering...

really? I thought they were a bit tame. nowhere near as good as last time

BSquires
30-09-2016, 08:01 AM
really? I thought they were a bit tame. nowhere near as good as last time

I'd say they weren't as loud/noisy as the last time but nevertheless I really enjoyed it - perhaps even more than the recent recordings - and I though Sarah's vocal's were excellent and move things in another direction. I am a rubbish music critic though :eek: :)

subvert47
30-09-2016, 04:29 PM
I guess I just prefer to be bludgeoned with noise ;)

BSquires
30-09-2016, 06:21 PM
I guess I just prefer to be bludgeoned with noise ;)

A perfectly reasonable position :D

john eden
03-10-2016, 12:54 PM
Glad the Ramleh live guitar assault hit all the right buttons for you - kicking myself for missing it to be honest... I have just order the Headpress book - your review reminded me but I take the warning about the micro-scene documentation...

Yes, that is the Con-Dom album I was thinking of - definitely worth a listen although it might not hit the spot for you. In general I understand where you are coming from of course - must admit I have a soft spot for 'The Eight Pillar' as well - also a more personal take on the PE thing. I've not heard much more although I did enjoy him at the Broken Flag festival as well plus I saw him in Leeds a couple of times as one-half The Grey Wolves which I quite enjoyed... Have you ever heard anything by Iron Justice? Their 'Manufacture Of Consent' LP is a favourite... and what about Iron Fist of the Sun - also a quite different take in such material...

I must admit I feel a little exposed discussing such stuff on Dissensus :eek: :D

The last section of the book (the critical chapters, basically) is absolutely outstanding. I met one of the contributors at Merzbow on Saturday just after I'd finished it, so that was cool.

I've not heard anything by any of that lot I'm afraid but I wouldn't worry too much about bringing it up here - I don't think we really do witch hunts any more? ;)

BSquires
04-10-2016, 12:53 PM
The last section of the book (the critical chapters, basically) is absolutely outstanding. I met one of the contributors at Merzbow on Saturday just after I'd finished it, so that was cool.

I've not heard anything by any of that lot I'm afraid but I wouldn't worry too much about bringing it up here - I don't think we really do witch hunts any more? ;)

:) Excellent! Really looking forward to reading it now... and how was Merzbow? I have a few recordings but am slightly put off by the size of the discography... but suitably crushing I hope :eek:

john eden
04-10-2016, 01:32 PM
:) Excellent! Really looking forward to reading it now... and how was Merzbow? I have a few recordings but am slightly put off by the size of the discography... but suitably crushing I hope :eek:

Yeah I thought Merzbow was great - it was a wall of noise but there was a good shifting of texture and intensity so it never got boring. It wasn't punishingly loud either - I had earplugs with me but didn't use them. Bit of ear ringing the next day but all good after that.

I've not got any of his stuff at all tbh - might get a couple of things now, but it's good to go out and see this sort of thing at volume and get your fix that way.

BSquires
10-10-2016, 12:26 PM
Yeah I thought Merzbow was great - it was a wall of noise but there was a good shifting of texture and intensity so it never got boring. It wasn't punishingly loud either - I had earplugs with me but didn't use them. Bit of ear ringing the next day but all good after that.

I've not got any of his stuff at all tbh - might get a couple of things now, but it's good to go out and see this sort of thing at volume and get your fix that way.

Sounds great and I agree live is the way to go... the PE Headpress book has just arrived and looks pretty interested as you mentioned... and you are probably aware of this, but:

http://harbingersound.bigcartel.com/product/ramleh-a-return-to-slavery-lp

john eden
10-10-2016, 12:57 PM
Sounds great and I agree live is the way to go... the PE Headpress book has just arrived and looks pretty interested as you mentioned... and you are probably aware of this, but:

http://harbingersound.bigcartel.com/product/ramleh-a-return-to-slavery-lp

Yeah I saw that and assumed that all the tracks are in the Awake boxset, plus I have Hand of Glory on 12" already? So vinyl fetishism aside, not much reason for me to have that... be interested to know what you make of the book though.

martin
12-10-2016, 11:32 AM
Yeah I saw that and assumed that all the tracks are in the Awake boxset, plus I have Hand of Glory on 12" already? So vinyl fetishism aside, not much reason for me to have that... be interested to know what you make of the book though.

Weird reissue - it's not like they wouldn't have permission to press the original 'Slaughter at Random' B-side. Which was ace.

john eden
12-10-2016, 08:47 PM
Weird reissue - it's not like they wouldn't have permission to press the original 'Slaughter at Random' B-side. Which was ace.

My guess is an early Consumer Electronics box set is in the offing with that in it.