Schlager

saymon

Watching the Beeb Krautrock thing it occured to me that I was missing out on some great music in the form of Schlager. I had to listen to things like Neu, Kraftwerk, Tangerine Dream, & Tomita from a very early age since I was born of leftist communist hippie parents in 1969. Is there any Schlager canon or is it all just castrated 'I LOVE THE STATE' pablum?

nochexxx

harco pronting
haha.

getting into schlager surely would be next level hipsterism. :mad:

i'd love to think (and wonder) if an artist like felix kubin owns an impressive collection of schlager and would perhaps consider it an inspiration.

computer_rock

haha.

When I saw the Schlager bits on the krautrock doc I remember thinking to myself "This is possibly the only music I cannot even imagine being picked up by some trendy wankers, even in a massively ironic fashion".

By that token Schlager seems to exist on the absolute very outer perimetre of modern music, completely alone, looking inwards at whatever wacky experimental shit is popular this month and scoffing at its relative accessibility. :D

massrock

What's that thing blissblogger says about when a style is deemed beyond the pale by all right thinking commentators it is ripe for reappraisal? By that measure, Schlager is where it's AT.

I have enjoyed (if that's the word) charity shop albums of Bavarian drinking songs at times...

Here are some metropolitan hipsters reappraising.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

haha.

If you think of old Schlager from the 60s and 70s, there is a little overlap to old pop music like France Gall and similar stuff, which has already been hipsterised. So some of that stuff could have a certain camp quality, if you're into that sort of thing. For example, Marianne Rosenberg is a gay icon (at least in Germany).

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

But don't let that fool you, Schlager in general is so ugly that even the most depraved hipsters wouldn't dare to go there.

:eek:

zhao

there are no accidents

Aera Aleph

Drag Me Away
Not everything was bad though...gotta dig a bit, same with everything...

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/aNBclxqlU7Y&hl=de&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/aNBclxqlU7Y&hl=de&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/x7r4tjzyGRM&hl=de&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/x7r4tjzyGRM&hl=de&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Ness Rowlah

Norwegian Wood
Wot? No Roy Black&Anita?
Wonder how this duo would go down today? Not well I guess, that is some serious age gap going on.

Last edited:

zhao

there are no accidents
Hey , did you miss the whole Kompakt schlager trend a few years back ?

well it's just 70s and 80s german conservative pop innit? decidedly coming from a very different impulse than NDW... sometime drawing on traditional forms like the bavarian stuff, and sometimes derivatives of styles from other places. not more or less cheesy than their american or british contemporary equivalents surely? and anything to be said about quality will probably be more subjective than not.

girlfriend says it is strictly for silly old buggers sitting in their flats.

IdleRich

IdleRich
I wouldn't really say that (I mean the In Kraut stuff) is schlager at all. Maybe the Hildegard Knef stuff which is definitely good.
I'm sure I've stuck this up before but I believe that Cindy und Bert were known as a schlager act before they came up with this monster (or camp monstrosity depending on your taste - I'm in the former group)

straight

wings cru
guys i can trump here - used to do a weekly night at the bierkellar in manchester. Its pretty funny how in the days of youtube you can actually lose hours investigating this crap. I spent about 3 hours watching these dutch state childrens choirs the other day (make sure you dont, entertainment wise this is the best of the videos by a country mile and theres 20 years worth)

Last edited:

Ness Rowlah

Norwegian Wood
Don't know if I should laugh or cry, leaning towards the first and yup it's James Last doing Hawkwind:

nochexxx

harco pronting
guys i can trump here - used to do a weekly night at the bierkellar in manchester. Its pretty funny how in the days of youtube you can actually lose hours investigating this crap. I spent about 3 hours watching these dutch state childrens choirs the other day (make sure you dont, entertainment wise this is the best of the videos by a country mile and theres 20 years worth)

trump deserved! make up? she needs to doing something with her brows.