DnB producers... why so little overlap in new styles?

Progout

rollie fingers
I was tempted to question, upon hearing Toasty's "Too Hot" for the umpteenth time on Rinse FM (wicked sound btw if you haven't yet heard) Why are there not more established DnB producers sliding styles in the dubstep genre? "Too Hot" reminds me SOOO much of Dillinja (especially Test stuff) and other threads have drawn similarities in dubstep sound-emphasis btwn No-U-Turn and the like. When I first heard Trek138 I was SURE that everyone and their mother was gonna be slowing down and syncopating...but, no. The most progressive sounds I've heard from DnB dudes come from Amit, and Amit alone. Anyone have any insight as to why proper DnB heads haven't swayed?

soul_pill

At a guess, it's 'cos dubstep records sell around 200-300 worldwide whereas drum'n'bass can do around 2000-5000 a 12". Bigger worldwide market - more money. No point in jumping ship just yet...

dubplatestyle

amit has like two ideas! anyway, there's a ton of dnb producers around today doing interesting stuff and probably shifting about the same as the dubstep guys. the reason the big cats haven't changed is $$.

Kuma

The Konspirator
Jess is right, straight up money.

Dillinja himself has publicly admitted that he'd be making shit ala "Angels Fell" if he knew he could make a buck off of it. The shift to other genres might happen if they knew they could get paid (see Adam F making hip-hop or he and Fresh making beats for the Pet shop Boys).

dubplatestyle

really it's not any different from how rap runs now (50 cent: "i think [rapper X who has undersold him]'s problem is that the music business is a business"...well, yeah but music is the root of that dude...you can probably make more cash in money management) but it's still sad

boosted

The other fact being, at least in my experience, d'n'b heads who are hard into that scene have little interest in anything else. They live for 170bpm+, so although dubstep may sound interesting to them, the initial response is always "That would sound great if they pitched it up a bit". My opinion is, I could care less if d'n'b heads got more into dubstep. They already have their scene ... why would you want them in the dubstep scene. It's best with two rooms separate but equal, anyways.

dionysus

AS a hard-nosed drum and bass head, i have to agree with many of the comments about dnb. What is going on??? The music has gone all 'ravy', its all entertainment and no soul....apart from a small few like Klute (Commercial Suicide Label - check his new album: "No ones listening any more"), Amit, D-Bridge and record labels Soul:r and Metalheadz. What i love about this dubstep is that it reminds me of the vibe form the dnb Tech-step days ('97-2000). Its got a great vibe, but why i don't think more dnb producers are making dubstep is because a snare drum going at 170 bpm is a drug,...,....the energy from them is unparrelled IMO. Please check out the artists/Labels i have mentioned before,...i think you will find something you like....anyway where can i get more dubstep/grime mixes becuase i do fucking love it???? :D

Last edited: