Holding everything together in your head

swears

preppy-kei
You mean in a remembering important stuff kind of way or "Oh fuck, I think I'm going nuts" kind of way?

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
Yeah, but then you realise that the stuff you forgot wasn't important; the stuff you want to do will either happen or not, and the stuff you did, well. Shiiiiiit.

Ness Rowlah

Norwegian Wood
yes.
must remember to watch this (was on today, Telegraph link came up to day).
but what hope is there for the rest of us, if these guys cannot keep it together?
(the link title really says it all)

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/...rsity-Challenge-winners-go-on-to-failure.html

"Tony Gillham, who won the show in 2003 with Birkbeck College, spent the following four years as an alcoholic. He was drinking heavily while competing in the programme. "The best victory we ever had was when I had 16 rum and blacks the night before. I was incredibly dehydrated, I stank of booze and I was still completely drunk when I got in front of the cameras."

nomadthethird

more issues than Time mag
yes.
must remember to watch this (was on today, Telegraph link came up to day).
but what hope is there for the rest of us, if these guys cannot keep it together?
(the link title really says it all)

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/...rsity-Challenge-winners-go-on-to-failure.html

"Tony Gillham, who won the show in 2003 with Birkbeck College, spent the following four years as an alcoholic. He was drinking heavily while competing in the programme. "The best victory we ever had was when I had 16 rum and blacks the night before. I was incredibly dehydrated, I stank of booze and I was still completely drunk when I got in front of the cameras."

"Halland suffers from attention deficit disorder and said he had experimented with cocaine, heroin and LSD in an attempt to stop his brain racing."

Ha, well, cocaine and LSD are probably bad drugs to experiment with if you want your thoughts to slow down.

Although, come to think of it, if you legitimately have ADHD stimulants would work to alleviate your symptoms. So it does make sense, I guess.

luka

i dont know what you are talking about. i haven't had a thought since i was 16. thinking is adolescent.

bun-u

Trumpet Police
use the internet as a external brain hard drive. erase all 'facts' and memories (remember to upload images) and that should speed up your head

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
You mean in a remembering important stuff kind of way or "Oh fuck, I think I'm going nuts" kind of way?

Hmm, not really either, though maybe it feels like the latter sometimes. But what I meant was (a) the effort to come up with decent, satisfying answers to all the important questions I've asked myself about the world and especially (b) the difficulty in making these answers coherent with each other, finding some connection between them and avoiding any contradictions. For example, I'm not sure if my views on politics and my views on music match up with each other. Can they match up? Should they match up? It's a cliche, but the older I get the less I'm really sure that I know about anything.

cobretti

[-] :: [-] ~ [-] :: [-]
Hmm, not really either, though maybe it feels like the latter sometimes. But what I meant was (a) the effort to come up with decent, satisfying answers to all the important questions I've asked myself about the world and especially (b) the difficulty in making these answers coherent with each other, finding some connection between them and avoiding any contradictions. For example, I'm not sure if my views on politics and my views on music match up with each other. Can they match up? Should they match up? It's a cliche, but the older I get the less I'm really sure that I know about anything.

Worse still, for the last two or three years I've been having a strange crisis of intellect where I regularly question whether or not I actually believe what I'm thinking, and regularly write whole paragraphs on subjects in emails, on forums etc then delete them in a fit of hesitation. In a way this is related to what you're saying about your views on different subjects matching up with each other, so I sympathise with you wholeheartedly. Add to that the nightmare of holding it (work, relationships, thoughts, leisure time) together, and you have an existential crisis on your hands.

Pestario

tell your friends
I have accepted that I will never have a coherent worldview where all the activities and attitudes in my life point in the same direction towards some greater purpose.

I'm happy to just focus one thing at a time even if that means at some larger scale I'm effectively dithering about and constantly contradicting myself.

grizzleb

Does anyone else (like me) think that actually they have a reasonabley coherant worldview? I should add that it has nothing to do with happiness.

Last edited:

Immryr

i often argue with myself to the point i don't know what i believe about whatever it was i was thinking about.

swears

preppy-kei
Does anyone else (like me) think that actually they have a reasonabley coherant worldview? I should add that it has nothing to do with happiness.

Yeah, I'm a skeptic and a liberal leftist. I can't really understand why anyone would be anything else, so it must be pretty deep-rooted.

My base, vulgar feelings are often in opposition to my rationally thought out political views, but that's partly why you have reason and politics in the first place: so you don't go around shoplifting fancy desserts or decking your housemates for not buying bog roll.

Last edited:

nomadthethird

more issues than Time mag
At any given point in time I have dozens of different strains of thought going on, sometimes competing ones.

Usually there will be some kind of theme to them, sometimes there isn't. Other than that, I don't understand why you'd want to force them all to hold together, or how you possibly could. I like to let most of them leave or slip away, honestly, so the better ones can have more room.

I don't think you should be afraid of changing your mind on things.

I do have a what you could loosely term a worldview (which is largely an effect of a bunch of social and linguistic determining factors that are secondary to what's really going on, but that's for another thread...), but that could always change. It already has several times in my life.

grizzleb

I don't think you should be afraid of changing your mind on things.
Yeah I agree, but I don't think this clashes with having a worldview that makes sense. I would say any worldview must always be provisional in some sense, if it's not to be dogmatic.

I don't think i'll ever have a coherent worldview, there's a comic nihilist in my head who quickly reminds me of the inherent meaninglessness of everything and the egotistical motives behing all my thoughts every time i get ahead of myself.

I regularly scrap points i'm making mid sentence and in conversations with people i sometimes start arguing with myself to the point where they give me weird looks and laugh. it's not a depressing thing though, quite funny sometimes. I don't really strive to have no contradictions, that's impossible. a few years ago i thought i knew everything but as i get older i get more and more unsure, i look back at former selves and think "what a clueless twat!".. i'm not even sure i believe what i've just written really.

four_five_one

Infinition
as i get older i get more and more unsure, i look back at former selves and think "what a clueless twat!".. i'm not even sure i believe what i've just written really.

Yes, one would hope it'd be the other way, but it just gets weirder as you get older, doesn't it?

Funny this thread came up, because I have this problem all the time, especially with music (I don't, for instance, think that films I like need to represent me/my politics/philosophy etc), so much so that I'm almost in tears most of the time when listening to music... 'I like this but...' I think I'm developing OCD though. I blame K-Punk/Reynolds somewhat for making me believe that music is more than just sound.

4linehaiku

Repetitive
I'm lucky if I can hold a single train of thought together for more than about 5 minutes, let alone a comprehensive, coherent world view. Unless the thoughts in question pertain to some sort of completely useless time wasting, in which case my attention can go undivided for hours. I think you may be aiming too high.