digital mixing styles

petergunn

plywood violin
why do dj's on serato feel the need to cut every song off after a verse or two, or blow thru 15 songs in 5 minutes...

yes, technology is great and all, and back in the day, you had to have a "record boy" to pass the shit to as you quickmixed, but when i can't make it from the bar to the dancefloor before you've turned off MY SONG!!!, we have a problem...

alex

Do not read this.
agreed. This does wind me up, the worst is when there is a DJ who is using CDJ's & feels the need to onechop every tune almost & bangs out about 115 tunes in like 20 minutes. Unless it's radio and the tunes are all bootleggs & remixes, it just isnt worth it.

straight

wings cru
Because, as with most DJs, 90% of the time they are attention seeking plonkers who care very little about the music. Heaven forbid they might not be able to do their headphone balancing pose for 5 minutes. And the low level of comitment needed to DJ digitally. I could go on. Actually, its quite nice when they are mixing through quickly, it keeps their clumsy mittens of the FX button (we know you are exited to be using a mixer which isnt your brothers old gemini, just dont like wear it out)

Last edited:

alex

Do not read this.
If you can do quick mixing with Vinyl's/Dubplates, it's always sick to watch though!

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
people who do this should be culled. thankfully i've only heard it about twice when i've been out, but each time i've been apoplectic with disgust.

there are of course people who can make an artform out of it, and that's ok. most djs can't, and end up ruining the music for everyone.

dave

the day today tonight
back in the day, you had to have a "record boy" to pass the shit to as you quickmixed
They're still needed, a few years back I heard about Funkmaster Flex's record boy being on stage with him... standing over the laptop loading tracks :D

hint

party record with a siren
Serato doesn't have auto-sync. Cue points and loops are the real enabler here.

These kinds of sets aren't really for dance music fans though.

zhao

there are no accidents
technology enables the A.D.D. consumerist relentless restlessness of "excitement junkies".

and i wish i could play slower and more sweet and beautiful grooves and not send people scattering away from the floor. but it seems most time people just want to be beat over the head with bricks and nothing else.

zero patience, these club goers. so i guess i'm saying the problem isn't just with djs, it's the entire culture of A.D.D. consumerist relentless restlessness excitement addiction.

and sometimes i wish i could be free to explore emotional states after midnight other than "bangin" and "dark" and "deep".

sometimes i really miss my experimental music days before i got into the dance music thing full force. people would sit and close their eyes and just LISTEN. you can hear a pin drop in those sound art events i did.

zhao

there are no accidents
i wish there can be other dynamics on the dance floor other than "seamlessness" where every tune melts into the next and the energy is even leveled all night.

sometimes i wish i could do downer upper downer upper. but it rarely works. i find myself helplessly pleading with eyes: "don't go away! this is a beautiful tune, and it is mainly to offset and contrast and set up the stage for the banger which is coming up in 3 minutes!!!!"

alex

Do not read this.
Actually, its quite nice when they are mixing through quickly, it keeps their clumsy mittens of the FX button (we know you are exited to be using a mixer which isnt your brothers old gemini, just dont like wear it out)

you basically just described me. except it's my gemini, not my bro's. and I am a shit DJ.

muser

this is the worst

seems to be becoming more and more common among the over-payed wankstep djs.

Last edited:

muser

just watched it quickly.. didn't like it much but what is the thing you particularly dislike?

90 percent of it hes not even mixing! most of it is a premix on the left cd deck and hes just pretending to do stuff with the up fader thats not connected to anything.

Pestario

tell your friends
If you're Surgeon or Spyro, it can be good.

If you're blending actual music*, or dubstep or blog house, not so good.

*:p

:p noted

Slightly OT but sometimes (only sometimes) I do tire of the high speed mixing style that's become the default for grime. I remember back in the old days:rolleyes: when proto-grime tracks were given time to hypnotise you with their minimal beats and simple loops, creating that sense of robot desolation.

the intensity dial is stuck at 11 these days.

tyranny

i wish there can be other dynamics on the dance floor other than "seamlessness" where every tune melts into the next and the energy is even leveled all night.

sometimes i wish i could do downer upper downer upper. but it rarely works. i find myself helplessly pleading with eyes: "don't go away! this is a beautiful tune, and it is mainly to offset and contrast and set up the stage for the banger which is coming up in 3 minutes!!!!"

Thing is, the optimum way to play a beautiful tune to offset and contrast a banger is to play it AFTER the banger rather than before, in my experience.