scientist

petergunn

plywood violin
just put out big bucks for this:

573991.jpg

also, a big fan of this:

1751.jpg

i have to say, when Scientist is not working at Tubby's, his shit is too clean for me... which is to say, i like all the uh, famous, Scientist stuff that is pure Channel One (world cup, heavyweight champ, evil vampires, scientist and jammy strike back), but to me, that stuff just does not hold a candle to the stuff he did w/ Tubby's board...

Client Eastwood

The Channel One stuff is good. One that ive never got into is Dubs Culture into a Parrallel Universe nowhere near as engaging as the ones you have mentioned. Dont know if it was done at Tubby's tho'.

john eden

male pale and stale
I'm only getting your second image, Peter... I want to know what you spent big bucks on!

Bang - yeah the culture one is OK but I think was done much much later, possibly when he had moved to the US, if memory serves. I've never gotten into it either really:

(my review from 2001 here, scroll down: http://uncarved.org/archive/reviews230101.html)

petergunn

plywood violin
I'm only getting your second image, Peter... I want to know what you spent big bucks on!

Bang - yeah the culture one is OK but I think was done much much later, possibly when he had moved to the US, if memory serves. I've never gotten into it either really:

(my review from 2001 here, scroll down: http://uncarved.org/archive/reviews230101.html)

scientist_introducing1.jpg

he lives in a DC suburb in Maryland... know multitple people who have had interactions w/ mixed stories...

to my ears, he is my fav dub engineer ever... this mindset has got me listening ti alot of post-tubby's stuff... listening to this as we speak...

3103.jpg

not as wild as scientist or jammy, but for a later dub record, it's pretty good...

petergunn

plywood violin
I think I only know the famous ones. Any recommendations for these Tubby-related LPs?

scientific dub has always been kept in print by either Brad Osbourne (rip) or Abraham records out of toronto... dunno if they have UK distrib, but it's a 10 dollar record in the states...

i believe also Blood and Fire's Dub from King Tubby's has alot of Scientist stuff out there...

and course google will turn up everything i mentioned as mp3's...

petergunn

plywood violin
Im not sure which desk was used but Dub in the Roots Tradition is heavy.

you can really tell the diff, i swear... the Channel One stuff is just very clean.. yes, alot of delays, but no serious smoked out vibe... the Tubby's stuff is so goddamn warm... no joke, tubby was a genius for modding that board out the way he did... such a unique sound...

Client Eastwood

Questions : Scientist and Price/King Jammy were around at the same time right ? But Jammys productions are everywhere in early digikal. Did Scientist go onto to produce any tracks to be vocaled in the same way the Jammy went onto do loads after his dub albums? Or did he stay focused dubbing existing tunes and producing his own dub tunes?

john eden

male pale and stale
Questions : Scientist and Price/King Jammy were around at the same time right ? But Jammys productions are everywhere in early digikal. Did Scientist go onto to produce any tracks to be vocaled in the same way the Jammy went onto do loads after his dub albums? Or did he stay focused dubbing existing tunes and producing his own dub tunes?

Scientist never had his own studio afaik which I guess makes it harder to do anything than remixing. Although he was the main guy at Channel One for a while iirc.

Didn't he head off to the US in the mid-eighties?

gumdrops

are those greensleeves vinyl reissues still on sale anywhere? wished i picked them a few years ago when i saw them at dub vendor in ladbroke grove but cant seem to find them anywhere now.

are those greensleeves vinyl reissues still on sale anywhere? wished i picked them a few years ago when i saw them at dub vendor in ladbroke grove but cant seem to find them anywhere now.

i've posted before that i used to work at greensleeves, so thought i might (easily tbh) be able to post a quick link. the reissues must surely be available somewhere - on mail order at least, not that i could find it at first glance - but jeees, some of the original vinyl is on sale at ernie b in the states for us$150!! crazy..
discogs?? (i didn't try)

martin

----
Have you ever checked Crazybeat's online store? They occasionally stock the original 80s Greensleeves LPs for reasonable prices. Highly recommended, fast delivery and have picked up a few hard-to-get 7"s from there, often for 3 or 4 quid.

john eden

male pale and stale
i've posted before that i used to work at greensleeves, so thought i might (easily tbh) be able to post a quick link. the reissues must surely be available somewhere - on mail order at least, not that i could find it at first glance - but jeees, some of the original vinyl is on sale at ernie b in the states for us$150!! crazy..
discogs?? (i didn't try)

I don't think they did that many, but yeah they should have some sitting in a warehouse somewhere. But all the sales are now through VP in the US, so who knows?

Same as Blood & Fire - they had a sale on with a load of stuff at 4 quid a pop for a while and I grabbed some. But then they went into administration and the stock is just sitting there in Manchester I think.

Classic cases of businesses hindering the flow of commodities!