PDA

View Full Version : gardening tips/help

bruno
13-11-2009, 08:04 PM
i'll start with my sick ficus. its leaves are turning yellow and falling off from the bottom up (the leaves and stem are otherwise healthy). i water it very lightly now and the shedding has abated somewhat, i also changed the soil and pot from a plastic thing to ceramic but i wonder if this is too much change at once. it looks messed up. advice would be appreciated.

bruno
14-11-2009, 06:32 PM
another thing i would like to ask is what to do to keep soil healthy. what i do is poke holes in it (assuming it needs oxygen) but i wonder if one should change the soil every so often or mix it with different soil. and what natural household stuff can be used, if any. i'm completely new at actively keeping plants and don't want them to suffer the same fate as the poor ficus.

sufi
14-11-2009, 07:38 PM
flora will need some time, be patient not hasty and let her adjust to her new pot/earth & so on,

nice to see ya bruno :)

bruno
14-11-2009, 08:05 PM
that is excellent advice, sufi, i'll keep an eye on it for the time being. nice to see you, too!

Lichen
16-11-2009, 12:41 PM
is the water able to drain away from the container?

you don't want the roots to be waterlogged

bruno
16-11-2009, 02:30 PM
yes, it's a clay (not ceramic) pot with a hole at the bottom. the last pot also had holes, but as the plant had outgrown it the roots were a hard compact mass, impeding the draining of water (this is my theory). the base of the stem was humid, now that i remember, it was a sinister pot and i gave it too much water. forgive me, ficus!

hint
16-11-2009, 02:45 PM
what natural household stuff can be used, if any..

Perhaps not relevant to your needs, but here's one that blew my mind:

http://www.5min.com/Video/Gardening--tomato-plants-4889