Sleeves of the Decade

evanbbb

Tumbling Dice
This follows on from another thread about nme's best of the decade being white low/middle brow music fare. But who thought different?

I was recently annoyed at Creative Review doing a list on the best album art of the decade.

http://www.creativereview.co.uk/cr-blog/2009/november/sleeves-of-the-year

If the writer isn't a late 20s middlebrow white person from stoke newington, I'll be damned. I posted a comment about no dance/hiphop/pop sleeves and the dude called me on it so...

What are the best cover sleeves of the decade?

evanbbb

Tumbling Dice
Off the top of my head is this, although a bit dated now. I did buy it simply for art at the time:

R-115502-003.jpg

Fuck it's probably my album of the decade actually.

blackpixie

your photo is not showing up i dont think

In the comments section someone posted, "Oh dear no Hip-Hop? No gangstas in sunglasses pointing aggressively? I'm getting design deprivation here. Maybe the work that's shown here is actually better that all that which in itself is something to wonder about."

generally i dismiss comments sections on youtube and others without any problem. This one annoyed me particularly however...

Alfons

Way of the future
I really liked the inner sleeve of Moodymann's anotha black sunday this year

http://www.discogs.com/viewimages?release=1669208

"your freeki girlfriend is playing with my 12 inches

while you are having the greatest times downloading my music"

:D

Seriously though this year I liked the Animal Collective sleeve, Terror Danjah's gremlinz, thought the Aidy's Girl's a Computer sleeve was good, like the ostgut ton artwork...

On a related, Ive been meaning to get some of those art vinyl frames for a while now, would make me feel like a curator in my own living room. Anyone have them?
http://www.artvinyl.com/

alex

Do not read this.
I could have made a better one than the P-Money one, that's something like my friends used to put together in sixth form?

The Faulty DL one is really nice. For Love is a Liabilty

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
I could have made a better one than the P-Money one, that's something like my friends used to put together in sixth form?

Yeah, I like that about it though; I tend to prefer stuff made by people who haven't studied design otherwise you just end up with something horrible like that Pet Shop Boys sleeve. What I like about the P Money one is it's kinda like a metal sleeve as well, which I think accurately reflects the album, and grime hasn't done the whole heavy metal imagery yet, which I think it should. Ed Hardy doesn't count.

stephenk

333.jpg

2406157714_9a30357003.jpg

12119-dragging-a-dead-deer-up-a-hill.jpg

7754-today.jpg

cst037hires.jpg

yolatengoandthennothingct7.jpg

all are probably in my top 20 musicwise as well, if i were to ever make a top 20
eghh i guess these are supposed to be dance sleeves but whatever

Last edited: