The Mandelbulb

No, nothing to do with the Prince of Insufficient Light's bell-end. This is the first true-3D representation of the famous Mandelbrot fractal and it looks very much like a Gigeresque Alien Egg Sac

00323fb28ab.jpg

From http://www.newscientist.com/gallery/mandelbrot-fractals-in-3d/5

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I think they look fucking cool. I'd love to know what routine was used to generate them.

polystyle

Thanks, cheers guys

No , I asked because - haven't seen these in a while , back in 1989 I was hired to work with IBM's advanced CG lab upstate to do music for Quaturnian & Julia set fractals by their scientist Alan Norton. Small world ...
They were a red shape and a green shape , animated for about 3-4 minutes as they went through their numbers , rendered as gluey, changing shapes.
Now they reside on VHS tapes in the closet.
The IBM people, once you got inside the op, were all pretty cool to work with ( Alan Norton Bob Bacon and crew ).
That Lab now long gone.

Last edited by a moderator:

polystyle

that sounds amazing, do up them to youtube or something!

Right, I know, they are worth putting up and out,
prolly the non - disclosure forms signed with them have run out by now !
There were 2 fractal pieces, plus they brought us back for "Tipsy Turvy"- a cg short about a teapot ( the logo of SIGGRAPH ) simulated out of a substance that acted like rubber.
And "Leaf Magic" another short with leaves that frolicked around a playground until they met up with the wicked rake who tries to control them.
Silly, but ground breaking cg at that moment.

massrock

William Latham's stuff at IBM from around tha time still looks good as well.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
reminds me of that fractal brocolli romanesco I think its called.

fracbroc.jpg

I love that stuff, I remember talking about it on here before. It's like a vegetable that goes to psytrance raves or something.

I've not actually eaten it, but I gather it's virtually tasteless. I guess that doesn't matter when it can clearly get by on its looks.