Sonic signatures

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Not sure if this is really the right title, but:

D Double's 'mui, mui'
Scratchy's 'ee-eee-eee-eee'
Giggs' 'jheez!'
Timbaland's 'freakyfreakyfreaky'

Any more examples? Where did this idea come from (obviously it's a personal stamp on the song, but what's the lineage?)?

Last edited:

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
Yeah, this is a really interesting topic. There are quite a few different ways people can do it, I think. One that springs to mind are those little vocal/spoken samples that some grime producers use to mark all their tunes: Silencer's 'TEDDY!', Rude Kid's 'Are you ready?', Terror Danjah's gremlin-cackle, and I think there might be others. A different sort of example from funky might be that very particular whining synth sound that Apple seems to use on all his productions.

Edit: and Roska's 'R-r-r-roska-oska' thing, of course. Or however is best to write it.

Last edited:

zhao

there are no accidents
well whatshisname with Manhattan Research started doing "Sound Logos" for corporations back in the 1950s...

i recorded a friend of mine's kid saying NGOMA and it's worked out pretty well :)

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Raymond Scott?

I haven't noticed too many sonic signatures prior to the past 10 years tbh - when I first realised Timbaland was doing it, it caught my imagination cos it was new to me. i guess lots of jungle/garage MCs did it back in the day....are there some links back to JA soundsystem culture?

Last edited:

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Sort of on subject, I had a dream last night where I was jumping around doing karate kicks and that little weird laugh from Terror Danjah tunes kept happening again and again.

Alfons

Way of the future
Bangladesh has a few different "bangladesh" jingles that feature in most of his productions I think and around 2000 Dillinja used to do these "dillinja - its a remix" things in his remixes, dunno if they featured in all his tunes though.

sjc

with mcs, i think the convention of sonic sigs has been there much longer. the idea of it being 'ok' for producers to get on tracks is a bit more recent. guys like like pete rock ("another pete rock reeeeemix") started to intro their beats in the mid 90s or so. timbaland, jazze pha et al just took that much much further. terror danjah saying things like 'theyre gonna hate me for this one' seems to just be an extension of that. i like sonic sigs like his evil cackle (or silencer's old guy 'tedyyyyy!' sample) much more than producers actually talking on record personally.

Last edited:

STN

sou'wester
'people dead' and 'loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooord have mercy' are two old favourites.

sjc

he completely ruined that first rawkus mixtape.

i dont mind roska's imprinting.

Last edited:

muser

das efx's riggidy diggidy (or general "-"igidys) quagmire style

its reeeaaal.

Last edited:

viktorvaughn

Evil Dee on the mic, c'mon kick it..?

Yeah, that was a bit rubbish.

Yeah too much.

There most be loads in dancehall thought maybe the line is blurred between a little weird signature and actually an almost full line they deliver all the time - eg Capelton's 'Selassie I liveth every time' all over Prophecy.

Obsessive punning comes into it too I guess, a la Trimbale Trimski, Taliban Trim etc etc.

CrowleyHead

I'm surprised this hasn't come up sooner...

Movado: ".... Anyway!"

To paraphrase someone commenting when Cooly G quoted him on Facebook, best dismissal of other MCs ever.

4NR

Zomby's "gloop" sound (i.e. liquid dancehall, concrete streets remix) or alternatively, the airhorn

S

simon silverdollar

cooly g's 'mwah mwah' kisses

early Wiley's bird song in the background.