whosampled.com

Like many aficionados I’m recurrently led to great music by following a path of influence suggested by an often disconnected delectus. Another genre / artist / song’s prompt can serve as the threshold to a previously unheralded genus; Most foundation Jungle breaks eventually ended up on my shelves in their original (albeit mostly repressed)’70’s Funk forms and Goldie – through enthusing about their drummer - compelled me to check for Talk Talk’s wonderful Spirit Of Eden and Laughing Stock albums, as equally Hip Hop preceded my appreciation of, for example, The Headhunters and Lynn Collins.
Listening to Grievous Angel’s Mix4BlackdownVol1 last week I was motivated to consider the sample looped throughout Gang Starr’s oeuvre-defining Mass Appeal (one of the 20 or so most inventive U.S. hip hop beats?). Unearthing the origin was made easy by my visit to the excellent - and previously undiscovered - whosampled.com, a user-generated website dedicated to “exploring and discussing the DNA of music”. The M.O. is simple: insert the title of the considered song and, expectantly, the details of samples central to it will be displayed. The real beauty of the process is that entries are usually accompanied by YouTube clips, often outlining the placement of the sample in both the original and updated/borrowed/stolen rendition. Cover versions are similarly, erm, covered.
Returning to Mass Appeal, those foolish enough to consider Preemo anything other than a production virtuoso should head straight for the link below. That anyone could have the foresight and musical nous to turn a seemingly innocuous 2 second grab into such a compelling masterstroke of achievement must surely speak for itself.
http://www.whosampled.com/sample/view/655/Gang Starr-Mass Appeal_Vic Juris-Horizon Drive/

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Me and two of my mates who are all big hip hop geeks did a youtube soundclash entirely based on samples. We'd each play the original sample and the tune that sampled it. Lasted about four hours and still had loooooads left to play. Was really interesting researching it, gave me an appreciation of many producers and introduced me to some great soul/jazz/soundtrack music etc...

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Ah yeah, was overjoyed when I discovered this one. Check Insane in the Brain and Unfinished Sympathy for some shockers, before going to T.R.O.Y. - even beats Premier for 'wtf?' sampling genius.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
i always thought the mahavishnu sample was shara nelson as well - another piece of inspiration

massive attack on blue lines seemed to cobble together tracks from several quite large samples tuned in to one another - usually this kind of thing can go badly wrong, so the slightly different aesthetic (as compared to the 'find one bit then loop, and then sample some drums') makes me appreciate them all the more. Same for Maxinquaye.

but did you check the pete rock??? (you probably did, but that one really wows me)

Last edited:

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
souls of mischief had some dope samples, not amazingly technical sampling but perfect for their music

the name i call myself - wish i could find out where they got the hawaiian guitar sample

make your mind up

93 till infinity - this one uses more than just stuff from 2:34 as it says on the site. 2:04 is probably a more key moment. ;p

also, lol @ ron cater's son posting a comment on the youtube page for the cobham track

crackerjack

If we're talking Primo's chops...
The ? Remainz - Chopped bass notes, a rhodes chord turned into a droney pad, vinyl crackle, all from a tiny snippet..

That one always amazed me, just the technique to turn a few notes into something so banging. Kinda like the underground version of what he did with Unbelievable.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Yeah, thanks - somehow or other I was already familiar with the T.R.O.Y. loop. Doesn't really do it for me tbh. On Pete Rock, AZ's Rather Unique is a percy, although the sample itself is straight forward enough.

*splutters into coffee and then spits it out over desk* b-b-b-b-ut.... Nah, fair enough, personal taste is personal taste.

Will check out the AZ.

Mos Def - Ms Fat Booty is an all-time favourite sample too.

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
93 till infinity - this one uses more than just stuff from 2:34 as it says on the site. 2:04 is probably a more key moment. ;p

the all-time Oakland anthem, hands down. which is saying something, cause that's a town that's had some anthems. I love the video too - the opening shot where you can see downtown, Redwood Regional Park, kicking it in the streets of East Oakland (Redwood Heights, if I remember).

the Billy Cobham joint is nice enough in a laidback way - & Cobham's of course a great drummer - but one of those cases where the sample really amplifies the best little part.

my favorite Primo beat is Jeru the Damaja - D. Original. I've no idea where that atonal piano loop is from, sheer brilliance tho.

Last edited: