Fantastic Cover Versions

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
inspired by this utterly astounding steel band take on "Transmission". something else isn't it?

famous covers, youtube jobs with an acoustic guitar or a dinky keyboard, whatever. not counting tribute acts, though. but counting update versions of old tunes, I'd think, provided they're not just "Big Oldschool Dance Hit '98 Remix" or whatever.

I'm rather partial to this acoustic version of the best Thin Lizzy song

The Slits' version of "I Heard It Through the Grapevine" surely

& I suppose I should mention "Sine" b/c someone's bound to

I know you won't let me down Dissensus. the more imaginative (relevant to the source material), the better.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
Russ Abott did the best ever cover version of Joy Division

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I will contribute further. But it has to be said.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
And even while so huuuuugely pissed I can hardly type, I will make up for my discretion by posting Jah Division, who were so good I even bought one of their T-shirts. I fucking wish they'd soundtracked "Where the Wild Things Are'

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

STN

sou'wester
Ordinarily, the wry rock version of a hip hop tune can fuck off, but this is just so raucous:

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Low's cover of Transmission is astounding. As is Afterhours' of Shadowplay.

http://www.joydiv.org/covers.htm - alternately surprising and depressing. A bit like a family gathering.

Susana and her Magic Orchestra - Crazy, Crazy Nights (Kiss cover)

Sinead does Prince is (obv) my favourite cover of all time, and thankfully universally known. Johnny Cash - I See a Darkness is a whisker behind.

Hope Sandoval's cover of Suzanne is a personal favourite - I tend to like slowcore-ish covers. Galaxie 500 - Ceremony; Listen the Snow is Falling / Luna - Sweet Child O' Mine are three cases in point.

Timeless

Last edited:

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
i like that IDm version of that Fall tune on Skam from the mid 90s.

I can't believe I forgot Board of Canada's version of "Midas Touch". not a big BOC dude, but they really outdid themselves on that one; love how dude synced it up w/the original video as well. the Skam record it's on also has a solid junglized version of "Jump" by Squarepusher (one of the only things I like by him) and a nice cover of Yazoo - "Midnight".

speaking of which (ignore the bit at the beginning)

boyalive

looking for a good cowboy
speaking of the boss

Benny Bunter

Has anyone else ever took a Smokey tune and made it better?

evanbbb

Tumbling Dice
Ordinarily, the wry rock version of a hip hop tune can fuck off, but this is just so raucous:

This got them quite popular in the states to the point where people would show up at their gigs just for this song. It pissed them off so much they would play it then take a short break. Then play their normal set.

zhao

there are no accidents