Henry Flynt

Woebot

Was totally excited when "You Are My Everlovin'/Celestial Power" came out a few years ago. It's one of my absolute favourite records which if you havent heard it you must.

Flynt plays the Tony Conrad-style amplified violin in a heart-rending smacked-out HillBilly style over electric-grid volume tamboura. Unlike Conrad he can actually play the hell out of his instrument, shards of notes like sparks from soldered girders and these great super-satisfying saws of the bow way down in E.

Then we've seen loads of other material, alot of it appears to be re-issued and, well, its been a rather daunting amount. Can anyone reccomend anything else of his?

S

simon silverdollar

i've got 'graduation', which is mainly collaborations, and it's not very good- comes across as a series of half-done sketches rather than the real deal [and i think he actually says in the sleevenotes that most of the stuff on there was done very quickly, after chance encounters with other musicians].

but it has got 'celestial power' tacked on to the end and that's a BIG tune.

rupture

teeth puller outer
I agree with Redcrescent: Hillbilly Tape Music is a stunning, gorgeous piece of music. really quite special, especially the first 5 tunes, starting with 'Violin Strobe'. My only complaint is that the best songs are too short ...

MankyFiver

c tune is fantastic, starts off like a one note drone and then these 'hillbilly' notes start spurting all over the place - yum

bunnnnnn

'c tune' and 'you are my everlovin' are both amazing. also quite partial to the henry flynt and the insurrections album - similar vibe to the godz / esp disc / lo-fi velvets type business with polemical lyrics and flynt's hillbilly violin shards flying across the minimal-rockabilly chugga-chugga.

really interesting character all round - there's a great interview with him here:

http://www.stewarthomesociety.org/interviews/flynt.htm

wektor

Bump, been reading up on him and Hennix, former has quite a bit of (possibly hunger reducing drug-fueled) writings up on his website, as mentioned,, the latter is actually rather hard to find, I know there's the Poesy and Other Matters which I plan on buying in the nearest future, but what concerns me the most these days is their notion of an Illuminatory Sound Environment or what was before called Hallucinatory Ecstatic Sound Environment, fucking hell, the only specific writing on the topic seems to have been done by John Berndt as the liner notes of Flynt's Glissando No. 1. Obviously not available anywhere online so will have to cop the CD from discogs at some point.

Overall for me, as a person with a mediocre understanding of mathematics both Flynt's extreme formalism and slightly autistic approach represented in his acognitive culture notions (ie. picking nose, but before you even take the extra step to call it "a thing that you do") seem rather charming but definitely overlooked.

Of Hennix, I understand far less, I'm trying to dig into intuitive mathematics these days, also lack of substantial writing on her work seems to be a pain.

I might have to subscribe to Blank Form Editions or something.

Horribly, horribly overlooked the work of those two.

wektor

Interesting talk from a few years ago on how much of a self-validating loop science is and a couple other fun topics.

Leo

I remember years ago in the "what's your favorite album ever" thread, @padraig (u.s.) insisted it was a stupid question (which it is), but just to be a dick, I kept asking him to name one until, pissed off/exasperated (imagine!), he said "Henry Flynt - 'You Are My Everlovin' ". I ended up checking it out, and eventually bought the YAME/Celestial Power" 2cd that @wektor mentioned today as his #8 AG electronic epic. Great stuff.

https://www.dissensus.com/index.php?threads/13160/post-302533

https://www.dissensus.com/index.php?threads/13160/post-302537

good times.

wektor

I remember years ago in the "what's your favorite album ever" thread, @padraig (u.s.) insisted it was a stupid question (which it is), but just to be a dick, I kept asking him to name one until, pissed off/exasperated (imagine!), he said "Henry Flynt - 'You Are My Everlovin' ". I ended up checking it out, and eventually bought the YAME/Celestial Power" 2cd that @wektor mentioned today as his #8 AG electronic epic. Great stuff.

https://www.dissensus.com/index.php?threads/13160/post-302533

https://www.dissensus.com/index.php?threads/13160/post-302537

good times.
Actually one of the greatest albums indeed.
Are there any notes included with the CD? Sorry I'm just scrapping up whatever music-related writing I can find on the geezer and there actually isn't that much of it, as I have mentioned.

Leo

a classic padraig response, really:

what are you, the fucking favorites police? that's not a challenge, it's a demand to take a quality you can't actually measure and make an arbitrary decision. but if will make you happy, here: HENRY FLYNT - YOU ARE MY EVERLOVIN'

wektor

Also really good thing on psychedelic states here:

Zrzut-ekranu-2021-06-10-o-17-00-50.png

I think a lot of inferences could be drawn if psychedelic state was approached as it is, without the heavy cultural load that normally comes with initiation to drugs.
With many, I feel, it can destroy the experience and make the substance entirely useless, ie. I cannot have the same approach to THC as most of people I know, if I'm forced to experience it the same way as them, I effectively end up hating it.