Rolling John Lydon is a cock thread

scottdisco

rip this joint please
what was that docu where he went round South Central or Compton or such and tried to minimise problems there by bringing up tales of his own working class or lower middle class upbringing somewhere in London (or wherever)?

'look it's not that bad round here they've got palm trees and it's sunny!' (OK he obviously didn't say that, to be fair.)

cock.

sufi

lala
John_Lydon_butter.jpg

JWoulf

Amazing work with P.I.L at times, so it doesnt really matter if he's a cock. And you do need some cocks around to shake things up.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps

Accusing John Lydon of 'selling out' is ridiculous, as the Sex Pistols were never 'sold in' in the first place. They were a cynical money-making exercise from the very beginning, and open about it too (or at least, McLaren was). Of course Lydon has done other music since then, but he's still mainly known as Jonny Rotten.

OTOH the butter ads are quite annoying. On a related note, what do people think about Mr. Pop's new career flogging car insurance?

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Amazing work with P.I.L at times, so it doesnt really matter if he's a cock. And you do need some cocks around to shake things up.

Er, beg to differ (not on the music, but on the principle). How much cooler to be a massively successful and brilliant artist, and still not feel the need to look down on other people like you have an endless, tedious insecurity complex (as JL so obviously does - why, I don't know).

As to Iggy, rubbish ads, took loads of credit from Asheton for himself (not on the ads - that would've been weird) - nasty piece of work, I think. Again, speaks really well about music (see the Krautrock doc), and should stick to that.

Last edited:

Leo

there's a great new 3-track PIL Peel Session out with an absolutely wicked version of "carrering," so i too can temporarily excuse him for being occasionally cock-ish.

polystyle

Once had the chance to meet him at PIL's old place on the West side,
and HE acted disapointed I didn't bring more weed.
I just said "hey man , where's your's ?"

massrock

Ha, they're reissuing Metal Box on 3CDs. i.e. same as the vinyl was, 3 or four tracks per disc. :rolleyes:

Cute idea but that's going to be incredibly annoying, I suppose everyone will just rip it anyway.

Richard Carnage

OTOH the butter ads are quite annoying. On a related note, what do people think about Mr. Pop's new career flogging car insurance?

Anyone catch his "paki shop" anecdote on the Glastonbury coverage? Almost couldn't believe what I was hearing when I was watching at the time! I'm sure it's on Youtube, but can't get it at work.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Er, beg to differ (not on the music, but on the principle). How much cooler to be a massively successful and brilliant artist, and still not feel the need to look down on other people like you have an endless, tedious insecurity complex (as JL so obviously does - why, I don't know).

But if he wasn't like that he wouldn't have been Johnny Rotten. His insecurity feeds into his lyrics and voice etc...

I always enjoy interviews with him.

Diggedy Derek

Stray Dog
The weird thing about John Lydon currently is the whole notion of PiL reforming with a couple of faceless session musicians who laid down a couple of tracks on their late albums.

It's a complete joke PiL reforming, yet it's being treated as an important moment.

continuum

smugpolice
at least he'll never be as big a cock as malcolm mclaren

for reference
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

massrock

I've been listening to the remastered Metal Box and Pil Box and I know we all know these inside out but I think you can forgive the guy a lot for some of the stuff he made.

zhao

there are no accidents
at least he'll never be as big a cock as malcolm mclaren

i was listening to his "Duck Sauce" or whatever it's called "hiphop" album from 1982 or something, and it contains a lot of surprises... totally "World Music 2.0".

I've been listening to the remastered Metal Box and Pil Box and I know we all know these inside out but I think you can forgive the guy a lot for some of the stuff he made.

Albatross is a great song. (but i regret ever trying to play it out)