RIP Technics 1200/1210

Leo

bound to happen eventually but still feels like a stab to the heart...

http://www.inthemix.com.au/news/intl/45075/Technics_is_dead

Technics is Dead
The DJing community and the greater dance music scene mourns the loss of a clubbing staple today. No, Steve Aoki hasn’t hung up his record bag, but rather news has emerged that iconic turntable manufacturers Technics will be stopping production on their universally loved Technics 1200s and Technics 1210s.

In a statement re-posted on dance board Global Hardstyle, the company behind the production of the Technics turntables Panasonic announced that they would cease the manufacture of Tehcnics turntables in February next year, citing an increasing decline in sales as the motivation behind the line’s demise.

The Australian arm of Panasonic issued a similar statement today, expressing their disappointment that the brand’s 35 years-and-running legacy was to be put to bed.
“It is a sad day today but due to low sales globally in analogue turntables a decision to stop production has been made on Technics Turntables,” Panasonic spokesman Ian North explained. “For Australia this means we will receive our last shipment in March.”
With the disappearance of Technics decks now imminent it’s becoming increasingly clear that the digital juggernaut is showing no signs of slowing down. We’ve already heard from trance icon Tiesto how he’s abandoned the ‘outdated’ medium in favour and gone for the ease and accessibility of digital tune libraries. Indeed, the new (and might we just say super-sexy) CDJ-2000s from Pioneer look to be making things easier than ever before with USB stick functionality, employed just last weekend by another digital convert Sasha.

Whilst we’re sure the classic Technics turntables will live on in the hearts of many club-reverent folk out there – not to mention in more than a few purist clubs – it’s still a crushing blow to lose the decks, and if nobody minds, we’ll be bringing beer o’clock around early this Friday afternoon.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Yeah quite sad but inevitable. I love records but economically speaking I can see why Serato is preferable.

I wish I'd saved up for them when I bought decks. My decks are alright but harder to lock with the pitch...

So does this mean they'll be cheaper/more expensive on ebay?

I imagine that the price would go up as production has stopped.

I swapped my CDJs for 1210's a few months ago, best thing I ever did.

Alfons

Way of the future
http://www.skratchworx.com/news3/comments.php?id=603

So here goes - the 1200MK5 and 1210MK5 WILL be discontinued leaving the 1210MK5G as the top of the range and most definitely NOT discontinued. It never was a limited edition, just a flagship special edition model. And the 1200 and 1210 MK2 will continue as normal. So now there's some distance between the MK2 and MK5G models instead having a middle MK5 deck to confuse matters. So it's vanilla Technics or the more expensive piano black extra pitched blue light luxury model left in the range.

Still think that these things deserve their own thread, love my pair more than most of my other possessions!

Alfons

Way of the future
hmm...this post is from 2007. maybe it's just a crazy web rumor, hope so.

first polaroid film bites the dust, now this!

wow you're right, didn't notice that, just saw someone post it on a forum as a response and was relieved that it seemed to squash the other rumour

mms

sometimes
wasn't this 'stopping production in new zealand' - world wide web meet local web now form information virus.

mms

sometimes
technics explanation to why this australian story was running a story about ceasing deck manufacturing, they're stopping in new zealand, which is near australia.

Last edited:

dave

the day today tonight
technics explanation to why this australian story was running a story about ceasing deck manufacturing, they're stopping in new zealand, which is near australia.
I guess we haven't had any vinyl pressing here for decades so why not eh.

alex

Do not read this.
okay so this rumour is back, is it just a clever marketing ploy or true this time, cause my mark 5 is playing up so I might buy a mark 2 just in case they suddenly end.

Sectionfive

bandwagon house
For anyone that can read Japanese

some crappy translator said:
Panasonic high-end audio equipment brands, "Technics" stopped production this month of a record player. A history of 45 years, "Technics" is no longer producing the product, no successor will be developed. In
the group "Panasonic" there is a movement for the reunification of the
brand came out could have been supported brand will disappear from Kuni
Takeshi lovers.

Technics turntable brand "SL-1200MK6" In addition, DJ audio mixer, headphones as well as fall, stopped production. CD
sales decline in the spread of portable digital players, and it has
become difficult to maintain production and parts procurement.

Technics, Panasonic's predecessor, premium speaker brand first used in 1965 Matsushita Electric Industrial. "SL-1200" series since its launch in 1972, a total of about 350 million units sold. About the future of the brand, Panasonic has determined.

connect_icut

I don't understand this. Surely record player sales are rising modestly. Seems like a weird time to dissolve the most recognizable brand in the business. Is it because the increased sales are in the low-to-mid-range home-listening market and Technics specializes in expensive pro/DJ decks?