Introspective/Melancholy Dancehall

Aww Nein

Wild Palms
hey, just here to request some tunes/knowlege on this sort of tip, im looking for some dancehall (or related sub genres/jamaican music) with a more melancholy or introspective feel, something to contrast the most of what ive heard (the more pumped or incredibly sexual stuff).

heard this the other day and it made me think of this side of things, so any feedbad would be appreciated!

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

(also loving the fake car in the video)

routes

we can delay.ay.ay...
<object width="384" height="313"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="384" height="313" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Last edited:

boo

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

zhao

there are no accidents
^^ lololol wtf?

Vybz tune is nice. Movado ain't doin it for this thread.

couldn't find a youtube of this one.

Last edited:

bruno

est malade
the tapes on jahtari have kind of taciturn stuff, side b of warriors dance comes to mind, i'm not sure if that is the kind of thing you're looking for (quietly fades into background).

mms

sometimes
hmm it's usually on one drops and the more conscious stuff you'll hear alot of melancholy and introspectiveness, there is a bit of a split along those lines really.
there is that track moses cry by beenie man that's basically him worrying about his faith, that's not a reggae thing.

routes

we can delay.ay.ay...
Movado ain't doin it for this thread.

well i posted it so i obviously disagree. but thanks for the thought. also, it's Mavado.

hope u like it anyway, Aww Nein. it's been a bit of an anfum for me.

it seems work on both sides of the split that MMS mentions. the duality of 'the rock' means the lyric is both jahcentric/conscious and druggy/gangster. it's obviously got a minor-key uplifting melancholy in the voices but the latter lyrical interpretation lends a dark introspective undertow to what is basically a banger...and i love the skittery militaryish snares in the mission riddim.

also, i thought it fun to even out the gully/gaza ting in the thread's first reply.. get it out the way, yknaa..

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Was going to say TOK, but Phil got there first.

The Chrome Riddim (2004-ish) I always thought was brilliant in this vein - there's a great Ce'cile cut on it I can't recall the name of right now.

boyalive

looking for a good cowboy
pretty old school but such sad voices & tough riddim. Love this tune so much.

crofton

off the top of my head i would recommend this ...

philblackpool

gamelanstep
I seem to remember some good ones on the same riddim as The Bombing, but I can't be bothered to go in the loft for the tape...from memory, I think Goldfinger said there was someone's version called "The Robbing" which was too controversial to play?!

crofton

that's interesting, i've not heard any other stuff on that riddim. i'm not normally a big fan of elephant man but the bombing is a good tune.

minikomi

pu1.pu2.wav.noi
There is definitely a lot that's good along this strain.... Will put more thought into it when I get a chance

not dancehall as such but the crystal woman riddim really touched me when it first dropped... Lutan fyah and Anthony b cuts particularly. Unfortunately the megamixes on YouTube are a bit clangy!

BareBones

wheezy

D

droid

that's interesting, i've not heard any other stuff on that riddim. i'm not normally a big fan of elephant man but the bombing is a good tune.

The Riddim is martial arts. Best tune on it is karate by Sizzla. Shabba and Frisco cuts are nice too.