PDA

View Full Version : Dj Heckling

alex
30-11-2009, 01:20 PM
Well that is the best way to describe it in my opinion.

I was asked on the 1st time I played out if I would play a CD that some guy was dead intent on listening to. When I said “mate, I cant, honestly, I already have stuff” he was like “don’t worry, it’s mixed”

Skipple was asked to play lady gaga in the same venue a week later.

Anyone else have some goodens>?

mistersloane
30-11-2009, 01:30 PM
Me and a mate were asked to play a fetish club once, we were providing the music for the 'playroom', and we spent ages designing what to do for the night - it was a good gig, we thought - only for the lady owner to come over to us about an hour in and go "Our customers have asked that you play what they usually 'play' to" and gave us a CD of, y'know, trance greatest hits which we then had to play on a loop all night.

We still got paid, but had the weird experience of standing over this mix CD that was playing, not knowing whether we should be pretending to DJ or not.

People are really weird.

IdleRich
30-11-2009, 01:36 PM
Best response I heard was "Come on mate, give me a break, I don't knock the dick out of your mouth when you're working".

john eden
30-11-2009, 01:36 PM
A girl at one of my house parties asking Paul Meme if he could play something "danceable" ha ha.

Pissed bloke trying to impress his girlfriend by dissing my reggae selection: "oh this isn't very good, you should play some, er, Channel One stuff!" He fucked off when I pointed out that's what was actually playing.

john eden
30-11-2009, 01:38 PM
It's all good though - if you don't want nutters or people with strange requests, stick to playing tunes in your bedroom, says I!

Martin Dust
30-11-2009, 01:43 PM
Djing in club in Cardiff a few years back, decided to drop a few classics to warm the crowd up and get the girls dancing. Bosh into an edit of Inner City and someone walks up and gives me the following note:

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/201/443354309_1dbf2cfbe3.jpg

Martin Dust
30-11-2009, 01:47 PM
Talking of notes, we did a gig with The British Murder Boys in Nottingham, Tony was playing some Whitehouse and Karl was screaming over the top. Up walks a little girl with a note that says play something more extreme!

Tentative Andy
30-11-2009, 01:49 PM
Don't heckle but I've gotten to be quite good at directing an ominous wince at the DJ when they clang a mix, and pulling an 'I'm not angry, I'm just dissapointed' face/pose when they play a tune I hate. Only do these when I've been dragged to a night by friends and would really rather be somewhere else.

Alfons
30-11-2009, 02:00 PM
I've gotten the "if you play x/y/z I'll get laid tonight" a couple of times, I never do play said tune even if it would fit into my set, if you need the dj to help you pull you don't deserve it!

hint
30-11-2009, 04:11 PM
A bloke doing an intricate "I'm loading a shotgun, aiming it at you and shooting" mime when I played Rick James.

Another bloke stood stock still in the middle of the dancefloor staring at me and doing the "I'm gonna slit your throat" mime... but that didn't seem to be a reaction to a particular tune, since it went on all night and he did it to other DJs too.

Had a bloke shouting "It's Friday! It's 7:30! It's Top Of The Pops!" when I played Flat Beat.

"You're giving this town a bad reputation" from a girl who'd dragged her bored mates to the wrong type of club.

zhao
30-11-2009, 04:14 PM
there have been cases, however unusual, 1 out of 100, where requests are pretty spot on and I'm like "oh hey yeah, thanks for reminding me!"

like last weekend after about 4 hours of afro-dutch-uk house at 3AM someone said "how about some dubstep?" i was like my pleasure! :D

Gavin
30-11-2009, 04:40 PM
http://www.canyouplaythatonesong.com/

massrock
30-11-2009, 05:03 PM
I saw DJ Heckling the other week. He was crap.

alex
30-11-2009, 05:10 PM
budoom.

Mr. Tea
30-11-2009, 05:21 PM
I saw DJ Heckling the other week. He was crap.

Did you (ironically (or not)) heckle him?

Tentative Andy
30-11-2009, 06:46 PM
Had a bloke shouting "It's Friday! It's 7:30! It's Top Of The Pops!" when I played Flat Beat.

Bwahaha that's priceless.

Tentative Andy
30-11-2009, 06:48 PM

Also priceless. I especially like the wedding-disco requests for Toni Braxton's He Wasn't Man Enough and Kelis' I Hate You So Much Right Now. :D

Edit: Even better one I just spotted...

Random Chick: Can you play Kanye West “Gold Digger?”
Dan: No, I absolutely will not play that song
Random Chick: Why not?
Dan: This is a wedding, I’m not going to play that song at a wedding.

(5 minutes later…the BRIDE walks up)

Bride: Can you play “Gold Digger?!”
Dan: Ma’am, you know once I play a song, I can’t un-play it.
Bride: I know, but I really want to hear it!

Slothrop
30-11-2009, 06:59 PM
I quite like the way that people at dubstep nights sometimes shout "play some dubstep" because either
a) the DJ is playing entirely wobble or
b) the DJ isn't playing entirely wobble.

Ha ha ha. I particularly like the ones where you want to slap both of the people involved:

* drunk girl: can you play 'Damn It Feels Good To Be a Gangster'? (by the Ghetto Boys)
* dj: uh...no...this is a St. Patrick's day party
* drunk girl: (while 'Flogging Molly' is playing) but you're not even playing Irish music
* dj: (letting that idiotic comment go) ok, if you can name one other Ghetto Boys song, maybe I'll play your request
* drunk girl: who the hell are the Ghetto Boys? is that what you're playing now? because it sucks...
* dj: please leave

* dude: got any Jurassic Five?
* dj: it's a Brit pop night tonight, so it wouldn't really fit in
* dude: ok, what about Nirvana?
* dj: Nirvana are American
* dude: oh, I see. then how about The Smashing Pumpkins?
* dj: ....

bassbeyondreason
30-11-2009, 06:59 PM
Not really funny but a cool memory.
A few years back Benga played in Newcastle, and at one point the speakers cut out. That very second a quickfire local shouted "YOU FUCKED UP!". Everyone laughed, including Benga, and it was a touching moment.

bassbeyondreason
30-11-2009, 07:03 PM
On that site: "While DJ is mashing up MIA ‘Paper Planes’ and ‘Got Money’ by Lil Wayne"

I believe that's what they call a self-pwn.

Kuma
30-11-2009, 07:05 PM
"play freebird"

I'm playing dubstep, fuck off.

zhao
30-11-2009, 07:15 PM
* Girl: Can you play the Cupid Shuffle?
* DJ: Sure.
* Girl: It goes "to the left, to the left, ..."
* DJ: I just said yes to your request, that means I KNOW what it sounds like.
* Girl: OH...OK! (short pause)
* Girl: Can you play it before the club is closed though?
* DJ: No. I'm just gonna play it on my way home in my car.

haha

jackmaster
01-12-2009, 04:37 PM
I frequently get people shouting "FUCKING SHITE! FUCKING SHITE!" over me.

Last week in Dublin a girl handed me a note on her phone saying "play something happy and dancey for us to go home to" while I was playing Sweet Harmony.

Mr. Tea
01-12-2009, 04:46 PM
I frequently get people shouting "FUCKING SHITE! FUCKING SHITE!" over me.

Perhaps you should stop playing fucking shite?

Or maybe I've read that wrong, and it's actually a request?

STN
01-12-2009, 04:46 PM
I don't really DJ ever, but at a squat party this woman went on and on at me about needing to know what a record I played was so that she could avoid it. Very weird really, as I can't really think of a situation where knowing what it was would really help you, unless you buy stuff completely at random.

Other than that, playing roots records to a load of squaddies in Winchester was such great japes that I had to be locked out of my own dj booth.

zhao
01-12-2009, 08:51 PM
Also priceless. I especially like the wedding-disco requests for Toni Braxton's He Wasn't Man Enough and Kelis' I Hate You So Much Right Now. :D

Edit: Even better one I just spotted...

Random Chick: Can you play Kanye West “Gold Digger?”
Dan: No, I absolutely will not play that song
Random Chick: Why not?
Dan: This is a wedding, I’m not going to play that song at a wedding.

(5 minutes later…the BRIDE walks up)

Bride: Can you play “Gold Digger?!”
Dan: Ma’am, you know once I play a song, I can’t un-play it.
Bride: I know, but I really want to hear it!

but this one sounds like the bride and friend are the ones with a good sense of humor (in contrast to the dj)

massrock
01-12-2009, 09:06 PM
Maybe it was the groom whose intentions were being alluded to in song requests.

zhao
02-12-2009, 08:00 AM
Maybe it was the groom whose intentions were being alluded to in song requests.

i bet they just thought it would be hilarious. understand as i'm one of those people who find things which are just completely wrong and socially awkward very funny.

zhao
02-12-2009, 08:22 PM
playing a dubstep event in a university town next weekend, quite certain i will get the "PLAY SOME DUBSTEP" as i drop Ethio-Dub, Dirty South, Grime, Kuduru, Bassline and Funky.

luka
03-12-2009, 05:47 AM
i cant beleive this thread is all djs whinging. im an inveterate drunken dj heckler. i love it, its an essential part of the evening. bellowing in their ear about something. hectoring them. they think they're all special and that standing there looking dopey so you have to bring them down a peg or two.

slim jenkins
06-12-2009, 09:15 AM
Best response I heard was "Come on mate, give me a break, I don't knock the dick out of your mouth when you're working".

That's classic! Wish I'd read that when I was still DJing. The usual hassle was 'Got anything we know?' :slanted: Yeah, like I'm psychic.

The best (ie worst) was being asked to play someone's Wham! CD at a birthday party which I had foolishly agreed to do for the bar owners where I had a night. She wanted one track off the comp. I actually played it. Then she wanted another. I stuck it on, packed my box and walked out - hah! Christ, was I in the wrong place.

Playing a bar regularly was interesting in that nobody paid to get in and anyone could walk in off the street to the sound of Carl Craig, Kraftwerk or Varese. Surprisingly few complaints there...but then, haters would have supped up and left easily. A woman did once ask if I could turn the music down because she wanted to talk (!) Bleedin' cheek - I was crafting an amazing sonic landscape of electronic modern classicism + drum'n'bass avant-ambient breakbeat atmospherics...couldn't she tell?

zhao
06-12-2009, 12:17 PM
i cant beleive this thread is all djs whinging. im an inveterate drunken dj heckler. i love it, its an essential part of the evening. bellowing in their ear about something. hectoring them. they think they're all special and that standing there looking dopey so you have to bring them down a peg or two.

(shuts off music and raises hand) security!

wonk_vitesse
06-12-2009, 12:26 PM

I agree here. I try to avoid situations where i can be heckled ! I'm not interested in pleasing everyone's tastes really and accepting requests.

I played a few times this year at Brixton's Dog Star, a random place at the best of times, got some weird requests like "got any dance" i was playing technoish track. Or "got anything indie & uplifting....we've just come back from Oasis at wembley" :o

slim jenkins
06-12-2009, 01:15 PM
I played a few times this year at Brixton's Dog Star, a random place at the best of times, got some weird requests like "got any dance" i was playing technoish track. Or "got anything indie & uplifting....we've just come back from Oasis at wembley" :o

Some people just shouldn't be allowed out...or at least they should be marshalled to Shite Island for a Good Time on their own. I don't like people invading my personal space...or planet...but it's all of Them against me...

shaolinsoul
06-12-2009, 09:48 PM
in LA its always the same shit, ive been playing here for years and its always "do u have any hiphop electro breakdance rubbish shit". I play techno so the only electro im going to play is mainly detroit.

Ive been playing loads of mid 90's chicago hard house anyways. CZR, Traxxmen, Underground Construction etc . Drew for Paul Johnson "Feel My MuthaFuckin Bass" at a lounge party on saturday didnt play that one in ages. Place went off like a bomb.

powerpill
06-12-2009, 09:57 PM
in LA its always the same shit, ive been playing here for years and its always "do u have any hiphop electro breakdance rubbish shit". I play techno so the only electro im going to play is mainly detroit.

Ive been playing loads of mid 90's chicago hard house anyways. CZR, Traxxmen, Underground Construction etc . Drew for Paul Johnson "Feel My MuthaFuckin Bass" at a lounge party on saturday didnt play that one in ages. Place went off like a bomb.

paul johnson is a badman!!

shaolinsoul
06-12-2009, 11:45 PM
paul johnson is a badman!!

Anything from this label bangs hard in the club imo. chi town for the win!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jx81hEzu6V4&feature=PlayList&p=43273B601FA674BF&index=0&playnext=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKnDxbaoWnI&feature=related

crofton
07-12-2009, 02:31 PM
Many years ago I played reggae at a mate's party in a Venue That Shall Remain Nameless in Oxford. The management liked my set and booked me for NYE, I was chuffed obv, my first paid booking etc ... I had only been DJing for 6 months or something, little did I know. So anyway NYE came around and it transpired that the management had changed in the meantime, but they called me up to check I was still doing it so I said yeah of course.

Naturally on the night I showed up with my reggae and soon the queue to complain about the music was longer than the queue at the bar ... eventually the management people lost patience and went into some back room and came out with a horrible old box of tunes that they requested I play instead, I don't remember what was in it except that it was quite like your average charity shop record crate, they insisted I play Grease "Summer Loving" at midnight and that if I didn't they weren't going to pay me, I had always quite disliked that tune, since then I have hated it. I remember arguing with them, "Look, you've hired me to play my records blah blah..." but they said "No, we've hired you to play RECORDS, not YOUR records", which strictly speaking was probably correct.

I learnt a lot that night.

zhao
07-12-2009, 03:45 PM
Many years ago I played reggae at a mate's party in a Venue That Shall Remain Nameless in Oxford. The management liked my set and booked me for NYE, I was chuffed obv, my first paid booking etc ... I had only been DJing for 6 months or something, little did I know. So anyway NYE came around and it transpired that the management had changed in the meantime, but they called me up to check I was still doing it so I said yeah of course.

Naturally on the night I showed up with my reggae and soon the queue to complain about the music was longer than the queue at the bar ... eventually the management people lost patience and went into some back room and came out with a horrible old box of tunes that they requested I play instead, I don't remember what was in it except that it was quite like your average charity shop record crate, they insisted I play Grease "Summer Loving" at midnight and that if I didn't they weren't going to pay me, I had always quite disliked that tune, since then I have hated it. I remember arguing with them, "Look, you've hired me to play my records blah blah..." but they said "No, we've hired you to play RECORDS, not YOUR records", which strictly speaking was probably correct.

I learnt a lot that night.

hahahaha so classic! i can totally see a young Crofton going through this. hahaha so adorable! :D

crofton
07-12-2009, 03:56 PM
Well it was a baptism of fire in a way, but very useful.

Some time after I was playing at a house party and this girl came up and was giving it the usual have you got something we can dance to, I don't like this stuff etc etc, she was quite persistent, I was standing behind the decks with the headphones round my neck listening to her for a bit and eventually I said "Look I'm sorry, I know what you mean but I'm not the DJ, he's gone out for a bit, I'll tell him when he comes back" and she gave me a confused look and walked off. I think she was drunk tho. Probably wouldn't work in all circumstances but worth trying if you're stuck.

zhao
07-12-2009, 04:25 PM
so you did end up playing "summer loving", right? oh so many kodak moments lost for ever...

this list of excuses (http://www.beatportal.com/feed/item/10-excuses-to-avoid-dj-requests/) is not amazing, but decent i guess.

i often think that i actually should make a no-request sign and take to gigs. but girlfriend thinks it's a total dick move.

droid
07-12-2009, 04:38 PM
A friend of mine was thrown out of U2's club here in dublin after refusing to play the prodigy for Naomi Campbell.

zhao
07-12-2009, 04:55 PM
A friend of mine was thrown out of U2's club here in dublin after refusing to play the prodigy for Naomi Campbell.

this sentence is fucked up in many differnt ways.

Martin Dust
07-12-2009, 05:17 PM
this sentence is fucked up in many differnt ways.

It is but didn't she go out with The Edge at the time?

straight
07-12-2009, 05:30 PM
ive been asked to DJ out for the first time in years this saturday for a mates birthday and i feel like heckling myself in advance.

zhao
07-12-2009, 06:17 PM
hey cool design stuff straight! did you just add that link or did i just never see it before? will show it to girlfriend who is reading Foucault's Pendulum right now :)

now go add something to the typography thread!

(after finish heckling y'self of course)

MankyFiver
08-12-2009, 12:54 AM
Me and a mate were asked to play a fetish club once, we were providing the music for the 'playroom', and we spent ages designing what to do for the night - it was a good gig, we thought - only for the lady owner to come over to us about an hour in and go "Our customers have asked that you play what they usually 'play' to" and gave us a CD of, y'know, trance greatest hits which we then had to play on a loop all night.

We still got paid, but had the weird experience of standing over this mix CD that was playing, not knowing whether we should be pretending to DJ or not.

People are really weird.

this is how it should always be

crofton
08-12-2009, 06:51 AM
so you did end up playing "summer loving", right?

er, yes.

one time at a squat party my mate was playing a roots set, not juggling or anything, just playing tunes ... the crowd took exception to this and a whole heap of enraged ravers gathered round the decks and started shouting "MIX! MIX!" as loudly as possible, they looked like they might be about to turn nasty ... we had to play d'n'b to calm them down.

the ig
08-12-2009, 07:36 PM
me - playing 'there's a woman' by gino soccio in studenty-activisty social centre type place...

girl comes up all fashion-twat electroclash look with irregular haircut, palestinian scarf and probably dayglo leg warmers but that would be embellishing slightly...
sez to me - "can you play less of this industrial minimal techno stuff and play more trash"

me, puzzled (been playing disco all night!), pointing to record bag - "sorry, y'know, i got what i got"

girl, getting pushy - "but i have my friends here and we...[repeats request above]"

me pointing to heaving - honest! - dancefloor meaning 'fuck your friends look at THIS!' - "fuck off!"

social centre compairs - outraged!

guess lesson is gino soccio was just way ahead of his time!

Blackdown
09-12-2009, 10:49 AM
I've had loads of these over the years but the one that sticks with me the most - even more than the largered rugbyTwat who stood an inch from the decks bellowing at me and Dusk "FATBOYSLIM!!!!" - was the girl who just parred us with the ultimate, root-of-all-DJ-pars. This par is just like the KO of DJs pars, the par to which all DJ heckling reduces to, the single unit of heckles. Looking back, it was almost kinda zen.

She just said quietly: "do you have anything good?"

Evidently we didn't.

alex
09-12-2009, 04:53 PM
had to lean into a girl's face down ipswich at a bar last week and shout

"I 100% HAVE NOT GOT WHAT YOU WANT ME TO PLAY"

this was after the 3rd time she had asked, her & her mate were abselutly kaned on the dancefloor, me & my girl even saw her down a wkd at the bar, slam it on the counter, slide over to the barman, who OBVIOUSLY (as you do) opened another for her.

When she came up again, i leant in, real close and shouted

"FUCK OFF"

her face was a picture as she slid back slowly, ashamed and embaressed into her drunken state on the dancefloor, whilst her mate euphorically put her hands in the air, jaw swaying to the sounds of tedwards.

joe.dfx
09-12-2009, 07:21 PM
I used to play at this lounge/bar type place. It was kind of on the upscale end of things, but still really chill, and dubstep kind of fit the bill. This one night a guy comes up to me, thick foriegn accent, maybe Greek?, and asks me if I have a pitch control, but really really snobby, so I replied NO. (i got a lot of heckling at this place as it was a mish mash of people most nights, some down, some there cuz it was the new place to be, etc). He looks at me funny then asks if I can "slow it down" (im literally playing like 125 bpm dub techno at this point) and play something syncopated. But this guy was such a douche I said NO again. (if he had let me alone I would have gotten into some dubstep which would have fit the bill) anyway...this guy must have been dropping a lot of cash that night as the owner (a douche too) comes up and says "oh could you please play his request, he's a good customer, yadda yadda yadda." so i throw on some tribally techno and slam the pitch control to -8 and this tool proceeds to start dancing some fucking Salsa with one of the girls he's with around the little tables and seats in front of me. it was just one of those, wtf moments.

i played rusko next, and that guy and his party were gone within 3 minutes.

wonk_vitesse
09-12-2009, 08:12 PM
She just said quietly: "do you have anything good?"

Evidently we didn't.

Agreed , that is the perfect one liner, "Clearly not" , is the answer, also "Have you got anything I like" I think gets 2nd place.

crofton
09-12-2009, 11:20 PM
another personal favourite:

"the person who owns this bar - not the person you think owns it but the person who actually owns it - has asked me to come down here and spread a bit of money around, so i'd like to ask you a favour, which is not to play any reggae ... i'll have a look through your record box if you want, i'm happy to play some stuff for you, is that ok?"

Blackdown
10-12-2009, 01:19 PM
When she came up again, i leant in, real close and shouted

"FUCK OFF"

good man! i mean seriously, i'm gonna take the anti-luka position here, but fuckit, if people want shite go to a Ritzy's, buy a jukebox, put the ipod on shuffle, hire a wedding dj... but if you've chosen to go to a club where a dj has been asked to dj either listen or go to the bar.

*hurumph* etc. ;)

Corpsey
10-12-2009, 01:22 PM
me & my girl even saw her down a wkd at the bar, slam it on the counter, slide over to the barman, who OBVIOUSLY (as you do) opened another for her.

I've got a great mental image of that.

zhao
10-12-2009, 09:39 PM
gotta love a good train spotter though.

recently i mixed this real moody dark "industrial jazz" tune on top of some afro house beats to set up for an arabic epic mashup, and this dude came up after was like "i can't believe you dropped ______ ! " i was like "wha?" and he was like "that dark jazz tune! i bought that in 1992!" i myself have long forgotten what the fuck it is or where it came from...

Alfons
11-01-2010, 12:10 AM
http://photos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs239.snc3/22636_245190039905_745759905_3099609_2706165_n.jpg

got this request handed to me by a weird looking american guy while I was playing a set of dubstep / wonky / grime at a local club, quite funny...

shaolinsoul
11-01-2010, 12:54 AM
I played this last night.

gherkin jerks - stomp the beat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aals91k93I&feature=related

shaolinsoul
11-01-2010, 12:56 AM
http://photos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs239.snc3/22636_245190039905_745759905_3099609_2706165_n.jpg

got this request handed to me by a weird looking american guy while I was playing a set of dubstep / wonky / grime at a local club, quite funny...

should have blew his mind with some donk..

cobretti
11-01-2010, 01:27 PM
should have blew his mind with some donk..

Or blown your nose in it and handed it back.

luka
16-01-2010, 04:24 AM
hahaha it do sound boring though!

alex
18-01-2010, 09:49 AM
hahaha it do sound boring though!

it does, although there isnt any need for that, he is a bigger dickhead for still being in there "raving" to music he doesnt like, wanker. That's what I cant understand with some people. Going to a night dedicated to 1 specific sound, then moaning, arsehole.

One Louder
20-01-2010, 12:03 AM
Ha ha, so many prime examples in this thread...

One of the best I've ever had was in 2006, at a tiny little cellar gig in auckland. Dubstep hadn't broken into the NZ clubbing consciousness at this point (it's a different story now, of course) and a friend had set up this gig which he promoted as 100% dubstep etc...
I went on third, which was sort of prime spot and started off with Midnight Request Line and a young woman walked up to the decks with a sort of rankled look on her face, leaned over and asked
"what is this?"
"er... it's dubstep..."
"are you just going to play dubstep all night?"
Thankfully I was rescued from replying by the needle being knocked halfway across the record as she leaned over the deck, so a stern look was all that was required to make her melt back into the crowd.

boyalive
25-01-2010, 03:36 PM
Somebody should instigate a points system. I got 5 points on saturday for "do you play any pendulum?"

Tentative Andy
25-01-2010, 03:39 PM
Someone go see Zhao and give him a 'play some vinyl' heckle. ;)

zhao
25-01-2010, 04:21 PM
Someone go see Zhao and give him a 'play some vinyl' heckle. ;)

http://www.dissensus.com/showthread.php?10397-Netherlands-Czech-Republic-Feb-March&p=218588#post218588

can put any dissensian on the list and will be happy to play a ripped-from-vinyl mp3 with some crackles :)

alex
04-03-2010, 11:00 AM
anyone got any new ones? this thread has been entertaining me in work so much, I keep creasing up at the fetish club one

benjybars
04-03-2010, 12:29 PM
Loefah gets a "boring" heckle, pokes deals with the situation swiftly.

haha. good old pokes.

that is a particularly boring coki tune that loefah's playing tho.