Unusual types of gramophone records

Alfons

Way of the future
As a fan of records I am fascinated by this article:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unusual_types_of_gramophone_records

knew most of the techniques but some of the uses intrigue me. Why aren't more of these done nowadays, making records special in the face of illegal downloads?

Do you own any interesting unusual records? I have a fair few picture discs and coloured vinyls, couple of etched discs and one with unusual shape. Don't have any of the other sorts. Anyone with the technical savvy know if these techniques are hard to do (Unusual holes, locked grooves, inside to outside etc).

Links to similar pages appreciated!

(see also the talk page at the wiki article http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Unusual_types_of_gramophone_records )

nomos

Administrator
Some of mine that I like...

A 5" from E.A.R. called Pocket Symphony

Jale Closed - Biside is etched with stars and whatnot

The Malcolm X record mentioned in the other thread

Subtle but one of the early Hotflush 12"s was cut like a 10" leaving a wide smooth gap between the edge and the grooves

A book of bird songs where the pages are all translucent flexi discs

I also like things etched in runout grooves

I had a some DC hardcore 7" at one point that said "another lincoln log" in the runout. The record was on brown vinyl so you could sort of look at the grooves like the rings of a tree cut very thinly

Last edited:

john eden

male pale and stale
I remember seeing some tiny records in a museum once which were apparently given away as freebies inside cigarette packets.

And what about those fisher price turntables that came with tiny plastic records?

nomos

Administrator
also in the other thread, massive 16" records spotted in a northern minnesota antique/junk shop. formatted for US navy turntables in WWII if i remember correctly.

john eden

male pale and stale
ooh! I have their sandpaper one, now you come to mention it.

Also saw them do a couple of live shows - one ending with them putting a firework on a 1210 and closing the lid whilst it span round...

computer_rock

my copy of shackleton's three eps loops the last part of a few tracks in the locked groove but it sounds more like a pressing error than something intentional tbh

viktorvaughn

all about this bad boy

f_18044

subvert47

I don't fight, I run away
I got this last night:

RRR-1000 Lock Grooves

20 artists – 50 grooves each

AMK, Aaron Dilloway, Thomas Dimuzio, Kevin Drumm, Carlos Giffoni, Incapacitants, GX Jupitter-Larsen, Jason Lescalleet, Francisco Lopez, Lasse Marhaug, The New Blockaders, Jerome Noetinger, Prurient, RLW, Damion Romero, Runzelstirn & Gurgelstock, Sudden Infant, Keith Fullerton Whitman, C. Spencer Yeh, Otomo Yoshihide

sleeve insert said:
this is a 1000 lock-groove LP, 500 per side – while I was listening to it at home, I noticed some of the grooves were untrackable, the needle would jump to the next groove – I don't know if this is from the mastering, the pressing or turntable sensitivity but I certainly hope you don't encounter this same problem – if this copy should track only 990 lock-grooves, then please accept my apologies for the inconvenience
BEST – Ron

:D