iphone apps

petergunn

plywood violin
what are people's favorites?

best music ones? are any of the music ones actually useful? i notice alot of them you can't record or export what you play, so sorta not that practicle...

sufi

lala
yes and another question,
how do you make apple apps? is there software to create a simple app like screensaver/wallpaper???

(my killer idea for an apple app involves nose picking and bogeys that you can flick onto another users' screen via bluetooth or something - as with everything on internets, i assume if i have come up with this bright idea, then someone else have done so already, implemented it and made a fortune,,,,)

Leo

i've had an iphone for six months and haven't download any apps. i mean to, but whenever i go to the app store there are 100,000 to choose from and i get overwhelmed and give up. i'm sure there are probably websites/blogs that recommend cool apps, i just haven't had time to explore.

Last edited:
D

droid

All i use at the mo is Ocarina, Gamelan, drum tracker and dub siren.

Been meaning to get more, but I still have unfinished business in Korg DS, and TBH I'll probably wait till I get round to jailbreaking the thing so i can try before i buy.

cobretti

[-] :: [-] ~ [-] :: [-]
I'm pretty sure you can record and export with Beatmaker, it also allows you to import samples and soundbanks from your computer to create loops on the move.

Here's a wee list of useful apps I've got:

Ping! - Free SMS/push enabled instant messaging to others with a ping account. Basically enables free messaging between iphone users (not sure if this is available for Palm/Nokia/Blackberry etc phones). Differs from IM apps as it is push enabled (meaning messages pop up whether you have the app open or not) and doesn't have a live contact list, so you don't have idiots bugging you with mundane patter all day, unless your mates are idiots. (Free)

Facebook - Self explanatory, very well produced app. Constantly updated to reflect changes on the full site. (Free)

BBC Reader - Pulls news content from the BBC website and caches it for offline perusal. Really shit at updating by 3G/EDGE but if you refresh it before leaving he house in the morning, you can catch up on a fair bit on the subway/train/bus. (Free)

Sky Football Score Centre - Like the one on the Sky Sports site, but on your phone. (Free, at least until Rupert Murdoch decides to charge for everything to do with Sky)

Dictionary - Has a blue and white icon with a D inside a circle as its icon, that should help you find it on the app store. Decent offline dictionary, sound clips of word pronunciations if you've got 3G/WiFi reception. (Free)

Remote - Control iTunes from your phone if you have both devices on the same wireless network, quite handy. (Free)

VLC Remote - Same as Remote, but tailored to VLC player. (Free)

Photobucket - Upload pictures to Photobucket from your phone, much better to text/email a link than add costly MMS messages to your already pricey iPhone tariff. There's probably a Flickr one too if you prefer their service. (Free)

Yelp - GPS enabled web 2.0 review thingy. Brings up a list of categorised locations in your area with user submitted reviews. Nice if you're looking for somewhere to eat/drink in an unfamiliar area, or are just fed up of the usual haunts. (Unsure of price)

Games - Rolando (tilt sensing platformer, similar to LocoRoco on the PSP), Doodle Jump (tilt sensing bounce-em-up), Alive4Ever (top down 2D zombie shooter, with bluetooth multiplayer)

I have a bunch of other apps too, but those are the ones I use the most.

petergunn

plywood violin
I'm pretty sure you can record and export with Beatmaker, it also allows you to import samples and soundbanks from your computer to create loops on the move.

Here's a wee list of useful apps I've got:

Ping! - Free SMS/push enabled instant messaging to others with a ping account. Basically enables free messaging between iphone users (not sure if this is available for Palm/Nokia/Blackberry etc phones). Differs from IM apps as it is push enabled (meaning messages pop up whether you have the app open or not) and doesn't have a live contact list, so you don't have idiots bugging you with mundane patter all day, unless your mates are idiots. (Free)

Facebook - Self explanatory, very well produced app. Constantly updated to reflect changes on the full site. (Free)

BBC Reader - Pulls news content from the BBC website and caches it for offline perusal. Really shit at updating by 3G/EDGE but if you refresh it before leaving he house in the morning, you can catch up on a fair bit on the subway/train/bus. (Free)

Sky Football Score Centre - Like the one on the Sky Sports site, but on your phone. (Free, at least until Rupert Murdoch decides to charge for everything to do with Sky)

Dictionary - Has a blue and white icon with a D inside a circle as its icon, that should help you find it on the app store. Decent offline dictionary, sound clips of word pronunciations if you've got 3G/WiFi reception. (Free)

Remote - Control iTunes from your phone if you have both devices on the same wireless network, quite handy. (Free)

VLC Remote - Same as Remote, but tailored to VLC player. (Free)

Photobucket - Upload pictures to Photobucket from your phone, much better to text/email a link than add costly MMS messages to your already pricey iPhone tariff. There's probably a Flickr one too if you prefer their service. (Free)

Yelp - GPS enabled web 2.0 review thingy. Brings up a list of categorised locations in your area with user submitted reviews. Nice if you're looking for somewhere to eat/drink in an unfamiliar area, or are just fed up of the usual haunts. (Unsure of price)

Games - Rolando (tilt sensing platformer, similar to LocoRoco on the PSP), Doodle Jump (tilt sensing bounce-em-up), Alive4Ever (top down 2D zombie shooter, with bluetooth multiplayer)

I have a bunch of other apps too, but those are the ones I use the most.

THANK YOU!

yo, do you really like beatmaker? 20 bucks is serious money for an app... i am about to go on a trip for a few weeks and would love to think inspiration will strike when i am unwinding... is beatmaker a real, actual, music making program?

cobretti

I've not used Beatmaker myself, but from what I've heard it's as close to a fully featured DAW as you're going to get on a portable device like a phone or PDA. There are plenty of demo & review videos on youtube, and my mate who has it (one half of Voltaic, Rustie's early electronic duo) said he still can't quite believe they've managed to squeeze that much on to an iPhone app. Definitely worth looking at the videos and deciding for yourself.

ether

whats everyones preffered twitter app? anyone using tweetdeck? i'm told you can sync up things like facebook and twitter so you don't have to keep opening different apps to tweet post/check messages etc.
i'm using titteriffic myself, fairly uncluttered interface and updates quickly.

the facebook app is wack imo really fucking slow, its good that you can view photos and use the instant messing thingy on there though.

need to persuade my peeps to get on ping heard good things about it but not had chance to use it yet.

Can anyone recommend a good radio app. the one i tryed was mad slow and to rebuffer every 5 seconds. even something that could do fm would be handy. or is this asking to much.

cobretti

whats everyones preffered twitter app? anyone using tweetdeck? i'm told you can sync up things like facebook and twitter so you don't have to keep opening different apps to tweet post/check messages etc.
i'm using titteriffic myself, fairly uncluttered interface and updates quickly.

the facebook app is wack imo really fucking slow, its good that you can view photos and use the instant messing thingy on there though.

need to persuade my peeps to get on ping heard good things about it but not had chance to use it yet.

Can anyone recommend a good radio app. the one i tryed was mad slow and to rebuffer every 5 seconds. even something that could do fm would be handy. or is this asking to much.

Twitter wise, Tweetie 2 is said to be the best app around, it'll cost you a quid or two though.

Disagree on the Facebook app, aside from update speeds (which are down to your network rather than the coding) it works really fast (although it's worth mentioning I have a 3G S which has a faster processor etc), starts up quickly and caches previously downloaded data for offline viewing. Don't know much else you could ask for other than push notifications (which would get annoying pretty damn quick).

Ping is good, but I have had a couple of delivery problems, people not receiving their messages and the like. Works perfectly 99% of the time though, especially handy if you're gonna be firing texts back and forth which can easily eat in to your monthly allowance if you're doing it every other day.

I don't have any FM radio apps, but you can listen to all the BBC shows on the iPlayer website (worth setting up a shortcut item on the home screen for this, as well as that TVCatchUp site which I failed to mention in my original post as it's not technically an app) and Rinse have their own app too. Sub FM also have an iPhone stream on their website, I set up a home screen icon/bookmark for that too. Let us know if you find a good FM app though!

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
can anyone explain how that song-identifying function works on iphone? It's like weird magic - it identified Grauzone once, which freaked me out.

Ness Rowlah

Norwegian Wood
In use all the time:
Tweetie 2 - twitter
Byline - for reading RSS, syncs to Google Reader

Frequent use:
Guardian - yup
Instapaper - for saving web articles and read them on the move
Lofi & Photogene & PS Mobile - for having fun with the camera
eWallet - for storing all sorts of passwords, synchs to desktop companion

Useful - but less often
Todo - should use this more, for todo lists (what else)
Tube Deluxe - handy if in London
Phone Aid and First Aid - so I can give basic first aid

Never in use: all those games

Oh - and I've jailbroken/unlocked mine - so
SBSettings - super handy for turning on/off wifi, 3G without going to settings
Backgrounder/Kirikae - for running several apps at once
MxTube - for downloading and watching YouTube videos offline

Last edited:

ether

recent additions

the train line
application for planning rail travel, which is fucking essential, even if you dont use the train a lot, as infuriatingly i find none of the train websites like national rail etc. seem to work in my iphone browser. Its also free.

guardian news best value, most used, best designed app

huffington post
quite badly layed out, but free and good for u.s news with a liberal bias.

kayak for flights, hotels, etc. not booked anything with this yet. but looks pretty promising.

john eden

male pale and stale
wordpress app is shit.

kiss kube ok for listening again to Rodigan and Logan (but you can't fast forward or use the phone for anything else whist its on!)

thetrainline also OK as you say (and free)

I use GReader app for google reader

linkedin
ebay
myspace

"London" is an OK map thing
Time Out is free but I've not really used it cos I have no social life.

Free Games
Toobz (five levels only)
Pac-Man Lite (one level only)
Labyrinth LE
Dark Nebula

john eden

male pale and stale
Which Twitter

I couldn't really figure out tweet deck and am therefore using Twitterific which seems OK for my purposes.

What is the big deal with the others and why should I pay a couple of quid for them?

Genuine q - I don't know enough about it all...

massrock

"Overestimating the Pace of Technology in the 1960s"

I'm looking forward to the Palm OS implementation of FaceTime so they can call it FacePalm. Bwaf.

S

simon silverdollar

it's all about Beatmaker - like a mini MPC for your phone.