English pastoral / countryside / stately homes in film

viktorvaughn

Must be cos it's winter but I've been enjoying looking at sunny English green things recently.

The Go-between

and

The Draughtsman's Contract

have both had the beauty of the green with a darker under current for me recently..

Any more tips? (Don't have to be sinister).

STN

sou'wester
Denton Welch, John Cowper Powys, R. S. Thomas (though he's Welsh of course).

Edt: Oh, sorry, you're talking about films.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
More stately-home than rural/pastoral, but I quite enjoyed the '20s whodunnit Gosford Park that came out a couple of years back. Worth watching just for Maggie Smith as the lady of the house: "I don't have a snobbish bone in my body!" *glances at breakfast tray* "Ugh, bought marmalade..."

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
Barry Lyndon by Kubrick absolutely kills it for that stuff pre-Greenaway. In fact you can see all of Greenaway's career kinda oozing out of that film like ectoplasm.

viktorvaughn

Barry Lyndon by Kubrick absolutely kills it for that stuff pre-Greenaway. In fact you can see all of Greenaway's career kinda oozing out of that film like ectoplasm.

Yeah that's a good shout. need to rewatch.

I love a bit of Greenaway I must say. Draughtsman and Drowning by Numbers and my faves and I like the early short he did in that idyllic house with all the a is apple etc and the beautiful music...

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
When I saw the title, The Go-Between came instantly to mind, but that was your first example!

Should be loads, but I'm having a bit of a blank...Remains of the Day for stately homes...My Summer of Love is beautiful and dark...