Favourite Vocals/Vocal Samples in Dance/Electronic music?

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Not sure if this is a shit idea for a thread. I was going to ask people to post up examples of 2-step tunes in which the vocals have been cut up in a way influenced by Todd Edwards. But then I thought about how I'd like recommendations for the use of sampled vocals in ANY genre. There's great use of singers and sampled vocalists in loads of genres, I'm sure. Can be your favourite straight vocal tunes or tunes just using sampled vocals.

Youtube links/mixes/discussion etc.

cobretti

[-] :: [-] ~ [-] :: [-]
Whatever that vocal sample used in the intro of E-Vapor-8 is (it's in a load of old ghetto house tracks too), it's a party starter for sure.

Now then…

pretty inspired imo:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

( Source)

paolo

Mechanical phantoms
Not the most original choices, but Joy Orbison's tunes use vocal samples really well for me

bob effect

somnambulist
<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

Now then…

this ones deep. Some vocals just fail unless they are over whining, dull minimal techno.

<object width="320" height="265"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="320" height="265"></embed></object>

viktorvaughn

More of a question but -

On Illegal Gunshot (1990) by Ragga Twins there is a really short high pitched vocal snippet. I always wondered if it was from the Slick Rick track where the little kid says 'Uncle ricky could you tell us a bed time story', which is Children's Story (1988) I guess. It sounds like just the 'uncle ricky' bit sped up. Any thoughts?

viktorvaughn

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

Yes! This is a great track. The beat is so ominous. The one with the crazy guy and his landlord is also good.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

that stammering, stuttering effect on the vocal compliments/is complimented by the skittery percussion so well. Infectiously jittery.

This is my favourite dance vocal.

Interesting in the dubstep thread shiels said Joy Orbison and In For The Kill RMX have been some of the only genuinely anthemic/unifying tunes for him in dubstep this year - surely it's the vocal element that people connect to?

isn't this a whitney houston sample? I love in jungle/elsewhere where you get this contrast between the sweet shivery vocals and supez dark bass/tearing amens.

viktorvaughn

big big big recent one
<object style="height: 344px; width: 425px"><param name="movie" value=""><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="425" height="344"></object>

hint

party record with a siren
More of a question but -

On Illegal Gunshot (1990) by Ragga Twins there is a really short high pitched vocal snippet. I always wondered if it was from the Slick Rick track where the little kid says 'Uncle ricky could you tell us a bed time story', which is Children's Story (1988) I guess. It sounds like just the 'uncle ricky' bit sped up. Any thoughts?

The beat is pretty much a chopped loop of that first bit of "Children's Story".

continuum

smugpolice
this ones deep. Some vocals just fail unless they are over whining, dull minimal techno.

<object width="320" height="265"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="320" height="265"></embed></object>

listening to this on repeat at the moment :cool:

nomos

Administrator
hello darkness is a definite favourite. i like how in the remix he adds mc gq saying very unequivocally: "and it sounds good."

also, ll cool j and the doors in acen's' close your eyes':

fellas
what?
fellas
what?
i'm ready
we're ready
i think i'm gonna
overdose

Last edited:

nomos

Administrator
"here is a group trying to accomplish one thing.. and that is to get the to future"

if anyone know where it's from i've been try to figure it out for ages

"you're talking about things i haven't done yet"

too many classic ones in jungle and hardcore

Last edited:

continuum

smugpolice

good youtube uploader find ;)

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Big up Nomos, great vocal samples and great tunes. That Acen tune's amazing.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Wasn't the original sample 'vodoo rage'?

Any excuse to post this tune I suppose. Beautiful use of reverb drenched singing.

This is quite interesting. 'Claire' = 'Players'.