PDA

View Full Version : Fuck, it's cold.

baboon2004
05-01-2010, 03:05 PM
Just saying, like.

Is the UK the rich country with the worst insulation? If so, as I suspect, WHY? Obviously temperatures in eg the States and Canada are way lower than this, but they...have insulation, generally, within certain income brackets. In the UK, double glazing is about the limit of our insulating expertise, and my house and workplace don't have that.

Mr. Tea
05-01-2010, 03:48 PM
Lots of houses in the UK are quite old (I mean at least a century, much older than most houses in America) which generally means you're not even ALLOWED double-glazing. Because you wouldn't want to ruin the architectural charms of, say, a late-Victorian terraced house, of which only a precious few million are left in London... :slanted:

zhao
05-01-2010, 03:49 PM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/4zpgai0n0cI&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/4zpgai0n0cI&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

craner
05-01-2010, 03:53 PM
It keeps snowing. It's totally great. I've had redwings and fieldfares and long-tailed tits in my garden for days.

Mr. Tea
05-01-2010, 03:57 PM
I got snid on quite heavily at about 2am on Friday walking with a couple of mates from one party to another in Hackney. It was quite magical. :)

Benny B
05-01-2010, 04:01 PM
I go crazy during winter time up here, waiting for buses everyday freezing me tits off. I'm a total poof when it comes to tolerating low temperatures, i think I need to get some more meat on my bones.

scottdisco
05-01-2010, 04:09 PM
on a less structural scale British councils have been caught out a bit wrt the salt needed to help clear roads, having used a lot more than they would expect to in some areas already.

we're just not used to it, is the simple (and i'm sure unsatisfactory) answer, a lot of people don't see the need, i guess.

i know plenty of British pensioners die from pneumonia each winter, but one can only imagine what would happen in, say, northern Finland or the Yukon if they didn't insulate. (i'm assuming they do and baboon's initial guess is correct. we need Vim on some international comparison home insulation graphs by country rate-tip!)

P.S.
i remember a small-town Michigan-based friend mischievously observing of the recent blizzard in DC (when the capital got a couple of feet dumped on it in no time at all) that he had shovelled his driveway/yard etc 9 times before Thanksgiving thus far, and whilst he felt sorry, they should suck it up.

someone in DC said to him the context of DC not getting the bad weather as much as, say, the inland midwest, meant they assumed gritters etc were a much more common feature of Michigan life and he should therefore have more concern, to which came the retort that in five years of living in MI, the local roads had never been sorted out by the council. (and that area of the midwest is on the lake effect snow tip, which doesn't skimp on its powder, i can tell you.)

sufi
05-01-2010, 11:28 PM
i know plenty of British pensioners die from pneumonia each winter...

http://www.metro.co.uk/news/807821-pensioners-burn-books-for-warmth

Workers at one charity shop in Swansea, in south Wales, described how the most vulnerable shoppers were seeking out thick books such as encyclopaedias for a few pence because they were cheaper than coal.

One assistant said: ‘Book burning seems terribly wrong but we have to get rid of unsold stock for pennies and some of the pensioners say the books make ideal slow-burning fuel for fires and stoves.

A lot of them buy up large hardback volumes so they can stick them in the fire to last all night.’

A 500g book can sell for as little as 5p, while a 20kg bag of coal costs £5.

sufi
05-01-2010, 11:30 PM
altho that said the media are making a terrible fuss about the weather this year, daily predictions of transport chaos and frozen apocalypse on bbc news which then disappointingly don't come true, total hysteria :)

mms
06-01-2010, 08:31 AM
my friend says it's -25 in norway where she lives.

my kittens are really really confused by the snow. they go to all the windows, look out and look at each other really bugged out.

Mr. Tea
06-01-2010, 09:17 AM
my kittens are really really confused by the snow. they go to all the windows, look out and look at each other really bugged out.

Bring in a bit of snow in a bowl for them - that'll fox 'em.

Film reaction -> upload -> instant youtube superstar -> ...profit!

baboon2004
06-01-2010, 09:24 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UurRCgg14Y&feature=PlayList&p=6DD2DC2278709F45&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=13

too cute.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjDDsOIrURA

but this is even better, made me smile for a whole minute. An achievement indeed!

padraig (u.s.)
06-01-2010, 09:33 PM
I was out in California for a week and people were complaining about a "cold snap" that gone down to the high 30s (Fahrenheit). I had to laugh; in Chicago we call that April. homeless people freezing to death in the winter here is not an uncommon occurrence. I also found myself much amused at seeing people walking around in scarves and jackets on balmy 60 (~15 Celsius) degree days when I was in a T-shirt & shorts; that's pretty much sunbathing weather. I imagine most of the UK being like California where people just have no conception of how to deal with legitimate cold.

it's like the Norwegians say; there is no such thing as cold weather, only insufficient clothing (& shelter, I guess).

padraig (u.s.)
06-01-2010, 09:46 PM
and whilst he felt sorry, they should suck it up.

I was in a "therapeutic boarding school" in Maine during the Great Ice Storm of '98 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_American_ice_storm_of_1998), which left something like 4 million people in Quebec and Maine without power for a month in the dead of winter and brought down a million trees. we're talking National Guard mobilization level emergency. we got power back after about two and a half weeks when the director of the school pulled some kind of shady deal to get three gas generators (there was all kinds of black market craziness going on I'm sure, people were desperate). it was a surreal time; we'd get up at dawn and huddle around all day in our parkas and thermals under the watchful eyes of the staff, then go to sleep at 4:30 when it got dark. I remember the sound of trees cracking under the weight of ice, like gunshots. even after we got power we had to stay inside because there were downed power lines everywhere. no one could shower or shave, no hot food, plus we were a bunch of surly teenagers stuck in this repressive shithole (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elan_School). there was some serious cabin fever going on by the time we were finally able to go outside again.

regular winter storms haven't really bothered me ever since.

mistersloane
06-01-2010, 09:56 PM
I know I shouldn't have laughed Padraig but that nearly made me fall off my chair, it's the best description of Hell I think I've ever read. That school sounds fucking hideous.

Mr. Tea
06-01-2010, 10:26 PM
Holy crap, you're not wrong mistersloane!

...residential behavior modification program...

http://www.moonbattery.com/archives/clockwork_orange.jpg

In fact the whole thing, snowstorms and all, sounds vaguely like an episode of South Park. Respect, once again, to Padraig.

baboon2004
06-01-2010, 11:17 PM
as if 'therapeutic boarding schools' don't sound bad enough on their own...!

did anyone go (semi) postal?

Mr. Tea
06-01-2010, 11:34 PM
Waterboarding school.

padraig (u.s.)
07-01-2010, 01:35 AM
I know I shouldn't have laughed

that's OK that's the way I tend to look back on it myself. I was really angry for a while after I got out but eventually I was like, what's the point? plus so much of it was hilarious in a surreal way; I'd liken it to a cross between a neverending journey to all the bad stereotypes of psychotherapy and a Stalinist hall of distorting mirrors (minus the bread queues). there was also an intense and very Catholic fixation on purging oneself of "guilt". everyone was indoctrinated, filled up with Animal Farm-style platitudes and required to inform on each other. we were split into different "crews", the most prestigious of which was essentially the secret police. it was also kind of a crash course for insertion into capitalist society; a rigid hierarchy with manual laborers at the bottom, then foremen and middle management, with the highest ranking students as senior VPs and the staff as I guess, a totalitarian corporate board.

there's loads of these "therapeutic" schools in the U.S., mostly in New England or out West. they're not very well-regulated and a lot of them are really dodgy. thankfully at the one I went to there was no sexual or serious physical abuse of students (at least that I was aware of), just brainwashing and well-intentioned cruelty. and, ironically, I have to credit them for doing more than any Crass record ever could have to spark my youthful rebellious streak.

did anyone go (semi) postal?

not during the Ice Storm, but yeah. it was called "acting out". if some kid got physical staff & all the higher-ranking students would run over & tackle him. then the kid would be held down and put in restraints and put into "the corner", which was literally sitting with your nose pressed against the corner of a room. it happened maybe 7 or 8 times in the 2+ years I was there.

what did happen during the storm - it was coed but there were all these ironclad rules about boys & girls (or boys & boys etc, it was equal opportunity celibacy) not being able to touch each other (kids were always getting into trouble for "accidentally" brushing into each other) or flirt, let alone make out or anything. so when the power was out there were all these dimly lit corners with horny, unwashed teenagers trying to feel each other up on the sly through endless layers of clothing. I recall the staff talking about a "general accounting" after the storm was over for that & various other offenses but I think the crimes, so to speak, had been so widespread that they would've looked ridiculous trying to publish literally everyone.

padraig (u.s.)
07-01-2010, 01:43 AM
oh I should also mention - the school was based on this other program, Syanon, on which Philip K. Dick based the New-Path rehab clinics from A Scanner Darkly. so, actually not too far removed from paranoid dystopian science fiction.

paolo
07-01-2010, 07:47 AM
Slightly off-topic I think, but here's a climate change question for yous...

This year the Met Office has predicted a long hot summer and a mild winter (for non-UK residents, these were both way off). Why should I believe them when they say what the weather will be like in 50 years? Is it because these are just short term irregularities but in the long term the temperature is going up and up because of increased C02 and what have you in the atmosphere?

Padraig - Damn, I thought my school was bad :slanted:

scottdisco
07-01-2010, 10:00 AM
Is it because these are just short term irregularities but in the long term the temperature is going up and up because of increased C02 and what have you in the atmosphere?

correct.

sufi
07-01-2010, 11:51 AM
taking us further off topic...

normally in uk summer is a bit dry, right?
so where does all the water go??? does it vacation down to the southern hemisphere or something????

(sufi - expelled from geography dept well pre o'level)

Mr. Tea
07-01-2010, 12:07 PM

Um, you do live in Britain, right?

jenks
07-01-2010, 12:44 PM
Not sure if this is OT or not but...

they just closed my school at lunchtime - kids hooting and howling all the way home.

Their smiles were as nothing compared to staff's beaming grins.

Mr. Tea
07-01-2010, 12:51 PM
http://www.pbfcomics.com/archive_b/PBF199-Missing_School.gif

sufi
07-01-2010, 01:44 PM
Um, you do live in Britain, right?

but where does the water go?

Mr. Tea
07-01-2010, 01:48 PM
I guess it just rains more somewhere else. I mean, our summer is Australia's winter, right? Think someone mentioned this already. (edit: it was you! there you go then)

mixed_biscuits
07-01-2010, 02:15 PM
This year the Met Office has predicted a long hot summer and a mild winter (for non-UK residents, these were both way off). Why should I believe them when they say what the weather will be like in 50 years? Is it because these are just short term irregularities but in the long term the temperature is going up and up because of increased C02 and what have you in the atmosphere?

The test of a scientific model is its predictive power - unlike mid-term forecasting, the test for the predictive capabilities of a long-term forecasting model can be deferred indefinitely, just like the final whistle in a Man Utd home game.

Mr. Tea
07-01-2010, 02:23 PM
In contrast to whoever said they'd heard a forecast of a mild winter, I remember hearing in the summer or autumn of 2008 that some climate scientists had predicted two consecutive cold winters (in Britain/NW Europe, I mean), and after than an open-ended rise in average temperatures. Prediction looks pretty good so far from here...

mixed_biscuits
07-01-2010, 02:50 PM
There may be a logical problem with buttressing the general predictive power of climate models per se with the post-hoc choice of one successful instance.

After all, my rudimentary climate prediction device - a coin labelled 'winter colder' on one side, 'winter warmer' on the other would have performed better than most climate models, giving a 25&#37; chance of two consecutive colder winters.

scottdisco
07-01-2010, 03:07 PM
you should patent that, there's a mint to be made from the guys at Accuweather dot com, and Christopher Booker would be all over it

zhao
07-01-2010, 03:07 PM
fucking minus 15 or some shit during the day here for the next 2 weeks. fuck.

scottdisco
07-01-2010, 03:21 PM
of precisely zero consolation to Zhao, but the following was interesting

The current big chill is a result of high pressure over the polar region, which has pushed cold air out of the Arctic towards much of northern Europe, parts of Asia and the US. Winds from the north and north east, rather than the south and south west, have brought freezing temperatures to the UK...However, while parts of the world suffer freezing temperatures, the seesaw patterns mean other areas are warmer than usual, including Alaska, northern Canada and the Mediterranean.

Airport chaos as icy weather grip northern Europe (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/8445613.stm)

mixed_biscuits
07-01-2010, 03:24 PM
you should patent that, there's a mint to be made from the guys at Accuweather dot com, and Christopher Booker would be all over it

I'm no sell-out, my model is open source, so that everyone can see exactly how the predictions (for which I give exact probabilities) are made - just like all the professional climate models erm aren't.

scottdisco
07-01-2010, 04:04 PM
I'm no sell-out, my model is open source, so that everyone can see exactly how the predictions (for which I give exact probabilities) are made - just like all the professional climate models erm aren't.

that's excellent, kudos.

i have something similar going on wrt the Israeli/Palestinian conflict and likelihood of peaceful compromise in the future along two state model lines, i don't see why all these mediators, diplomats, think tanks, etc, waste their time on complex stuff when my coin trick is just a phone call away

mixed_biscuits
07-01-2010, 05:11 PM
I think my original point was that just because a prediction is correct doesn't mean that anything meaningful brought about the correctness - a climate model would need to be consistently correct in a meaningful way to be useful (ie. Mr Tea's example would be useful if it was 'this climate model predicted correctly because it accounts for A, B and C, that the Met's model doesn't).

I guess that this close inspection by laymen is impossible, as good models' results are worth money to big business (this was why the Met was reluctant to release large amounts of data). Even bad models are of use, as they are either/both a) potentially good models or b) examples of what the good models aren't (and so may inform by negative instruction).

The problem with the long-term models is that one has to play a long-term waiting game to see whether they are actually working (with 'working' meaning predicting future real-world events rather than fitting past events) and they haven't been around long enough to have proved themselves. And even if one does prove itself, one has to assert that it didn't do so by chance (someone was bound to be correct) or by accident (it got the outcome right but the process wrong).

zhao
07-01-2010, 06:15 PM
thanks scott...

However, while parts of the world suffer freezing temperatures, the seesaw patterns mean other areas are warmer than usual, including Alaska, northern Canada and the Mediterranean.

yeah i hear Brazil is full of bikini clad babes and in the full swing of constant massive beach parties right now... :mad:

scottdisco
07-01-2010, 06:39 PM
I think my original point was that just because a prediction is correct doesn't mean that anything meaningful brought about the correctness - a climate model would need to be consistently correct in a meaningful way to be useful (ie. Mr Tea's example would be useful if it was 'this climate model predicted correctly because it accounts for A, B and C, that the Met's model doesn't).

I guess that this close inspection by laymen is impossible, as good models' results are worth money to big business (this was why the Met was reluctant to release large amounts of data). Even bad models are of use, as they are either/both a) potentially good models or b) examples of what the good models aren't (and so may inform by negative instruction).

The problem with the long-term models is that one has to play a long-term waiting game to see whether they are actually working (with 'working' meaning predicting future real-world events rather than fitting past events) and they haven't been around long enough to have proved themselves. And even if one does prove itself, one has to assert that it didn't do so by chance (someone was bound to be correct) or by accident (it got the outcome right but the process wrong).

good points all, and agreed. (close inspection by laymen would be pretty damn hard, i'd guess, because of the complexity of the models involved, also; i can't get too far into the EPA's climate change site before i'm hollering for a dictionary.)

i think you can forgive me my earlier playfulness, given i was really responding to some of your imperatives from the climate change thread (my bad, i just love the biscuits semantic parlour games)

on topic again (well, sort of), my favourite procrastination device of today (no doubt at least some of you will use this from time to time, but a new one on me)

go to www dot google dot com

and type in "temperature X" where X is a city of your choice - you'll get the result in funky icon style and ongoing forecasts if the place is big enough (or has enough stations nearby i assume, i can get the unremarkable Manchester suburb where i grew up, but not bigger suburbs right next door)

hours of, er, well, if not fun, then, procrastination :slanted:

hey, Zhao, it's 38 celsius in parts of Mexico right now, fancy a norteña party?!
:cool:

sufi
07-01-2010, 09:07 PM
There may be a logical problem with buttressing the general predictive power of climate models per se with the post-hoc choice of one successful instance.

After all, my rudimentary climate prediction device - a coin labelled 'winter colder' on one side, 'winter warmer' on the other would have performed better than most climate models, giving a 25% chance of two consecutive colder winters.
Yah,
i am 100% confident that i could do at least as good a job of weather predictions as the met office, especially since they seem to constantly hedge towards worst case scenario ("what if there's a hurricane and we fail to warn everyone?") i mean they struggle to come up with 3 days in the future

unfortunately however i lost a quid tuesday putting money where the mouth is, betting against snow that evening - but that doesnt disprove my weather forecast skilz, just i'm a crap gambler as any eejit could have got that right.....

now back to my question pls:

so where does all the water go??? does it vacation down to the southern hemisphere or something????

Ness Rowlah
07-01-2010, 10:04 PM
http://hypertextbook.com/facts/2000/YongLiLiang.shtml

Vostok, Antarctica is the home of the coldest temperature on Earth at a cool -89 &#176;C (183 K). At the Russian research station the temperature is regularly in the -30 to the -60 &#176;C mark. This chilly weather is due to the exceptionally high speed of the arctic winds. The katabatic or downward type winds that bring the brisk temperature, travel with speeds up to 200 mph (about 90 m/s) from inland toward the coast of the continent.

-89, and WIND. That is some serious cold.

Norway is mild in comparison,
the coldest temp back home was -51 (in 1886 and 1999).

As a Norwegian living in the UK I would find this whole "extreme weather"
thing laughable, but the general crappines of the buildings can make it
a bit chilly when you are inside.
Heating did not work at work the other day and even if
I now live in in a flat with double-glazing the windows are so badly constructed
that wind blows through on the sides.

And if this cold is costing billions (like the flu, the World Cup in football, the Olympics, Fred Goodwin's pension), then why not invest a few millions in trains (hello Eurostar!) and trucks, buses, gritters etc that would make the UK go round?
I never believed in these "event X cost Britan Y" estimates, surely work will just be postponed and London still seems to be full of tourists.

john eden
07-01-2010, 10:25 PM
I never believed in these "event X cost Britan Y" estimates, surely work will just be postponed and London still seems to be full of tourists.

yes it's a colossal con, that. Just bosses getting uppity because there are empty seats in the office/shop/factory.

jenks
07-01-2010, 10:32 PM
yes it's a colossal con, that. Just bosses getting uppity because there are empty seats in the office/shop/factory.

sorry but is that a club penguin puffle as your avatar????

I am so in my younger son's good books for buying him a black puffle t shirt for Xmas

scottdisco
07-01-2010, 10:55 PM
i knew i wouldn't be the only one admiring John's wonderful new avatar :cool:

i've been having a good laugh at CBI types on the news moaning about kids (and therefore parents who they employ) being off.

that said, i wonder what percentage of the public purse in the UK is put aside for winter weather amelioration? obviously a lot less than Canada or the Scandinavian countries say, but we wing it because that's normally always been the best policy in the past (cold snaps are fairly rare).

OT rant at the BBC news autocue writers:

i realise context is all and that these temperatures are pretty unusual for Britain, but having Fiona Bruce on the Ten news note that if the lows of minus 20 c - as predicted (it was minus 17/18 in some parts yday, tbf) - occur overnight Britain is as cold as "the South Pole". now i realise why Antarctica is used as shorthand here, but, heck, it is the height of summer there.

the worst kind of parochial, tabloid-style pissing contest analogies, it really winds me up out of all proportion i'm afraid (eg the red-tops in August: "Margate SWELTERED as Miami SHIVERED!" etc).

i mean, heck, if we're doing international temperature comparisons, what's the temperature now in Mongolia, or North Dakota, or Finland, or Russia?

oh that's right, below minus 20 anyway.. ...personal coldest temp you've experienced, anyone?
around low minus 30s for me, not too much windchill to contend with fortunately, once or twice in the midwest, then gradations of countless minus high teens to twenty something, again in the midwest.

john eden
08-01-2010, 08:40 AM
sorry but is that a club penguin puffle as your avatar????

I am so in my younger son's good books for buying him a black puffle t shirt for Xmas

Yeah likewise with a red hoodie.

The daughter suggested that the lion was really boring and this would be better, so in a spirit of festivity I went with it.

Actually I might keep asking her for suggestions on a regular basis.

STN
08-01-2010, 08:55 AM
What are her views on rockism and the hardcore continuum? And how on earth is that a penguin?

john eden
08-01-2010, 09:15 AM
What are her views on rockism and the hardcore continuum? And how on earth is that a penguin?

It's a penguin's pet - a puffle. http://clubpenguin.wikia.com/wiki/Puffle

Rockism - she isn't fussed about albums or grand concepts.

'nuum - likes a bit of jungle and chipmunk/tinch but I don't think she sees any connection between them.

STN
08-01-2010, 09:26 AM
all this will change when she gets into Queensryche.

john eden
08-01-2010, 09:55 AM
all this will change when she gets into Queensryche.

Yes, that would be quite a change!

Mr. Tea
08-01-2010, 11:02 AM
Cripes!

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/47061000/jpg/_47061196_greatbritainjpg.jpg

john eden
08-01-2010, 11:09 AM
beautiful pic - was on the news last night...

PeteUM
08-01-2010, 04:03 PM
I'm liking how the cold thread leads to discussion of Club Penguin. If it keeps up maybe my son and I won't need seperate computers.

Oi K-Punk you wanna bang on this? :D

jenks
08-01-2010, 04:33 PM
I'm liking how the cold thread leads to discussion of Club Penguin. If it keeps up maybe my son and I won't need seperate computers.

Maybe all the mini Dissensus-ites could meet up in an igloo and compare costumes?

PeteUM
08-01-2010, 04:44 PM
Maybe all the mini Dissensus-ites could meet up in an igloo and compare costumes?

Maybe we should all join Club Penguin and try and work out who is who. Then when that fun's over we can just go back to talking about the 'nuum and so forth.

nochexxx
08-01-2010, 05:03 PM
sorry to veer off topic, but your PM box is FULL pete.

john eden
08-01-2010, 06:12 PM

Yes I was disappointed that Dominic Fox didn't pick up on this in his "Cold World" book.

:p

PeteUM
08-01-2010, 06:25 PM
Yes I was disappointed that Dominic Fox didn't pick up on this in his "Cold World" book.

:p

He he.

woops
08-01-2010, 10:38 PM

listening to wiley instrumentals

mms
09-01-2010, 12:18 PM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/GqzQsV8nuEs&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/GqzQsV8nuEs&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

zhao
09-01-2010, 01:25 PM
they've apparently given this fucked up snow storm an equally fucked up name:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/UGsfwhb4-bQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/UGsfwhb4-bQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

nomos
09-01-2010, 02:09 PM
Canadian news has started to notice your plight and poke some fun. Interviewer on national drive time raido yesterday: "So you're saying it took 40 people to shovel 2 inches of snow? Har har har."

We're just a miserable people and we like it when others have to share our winterdemons :o

polystyle desu
09-01-2010, 02:30 PM
We saw the TV coverage last night - the whole country covered in snow and will be snarled for days to come -at least. Careful out there and stay warm.

zhao
09-01-2010, 03:16 PM
people here are adviced to stock up food for about a week and try to avoid going out in the next few days :/ thanks Daisy.

mms
09-01-2010, 08:05 PM
it's fine got around london fine, except the postman hasn't delivered anything since tuesday and i'm waiting on stuff f

polystyle desu
10-01-2010, 04:03 PM
From here it appeared like a scene out of Emmerlich's "Day After Tomorrow" ...
Everything snow covered or frozen.
We have a cold snap here , and tho' the Mid West is somewhat used to it,
this cold blast goes all the way down to New Orleans and it snowed in Atlanta.

Of course the global warming critics point to this and say ... " ... "

Stay warm Dissensus massif !

scottdisco
14-01-2010, 06:49 PM
not sure if this is on or off but hey

This year the Met Office has predicted a long hot summer and a mild winter (for non-UK residents, these were both way off). Why should I believe them when they say what the weather will be like in 50 years?

Even their premise – that the Met Office "confidently predicted a warmer than average winter for Britain" - is wrong. Here's what it actually said:

Early indications are that it's looking like temperatures will be near or above average. But there's still a one in seven chance of a cold winter – with temperatures below average.

No confidence there, no certainty, and no single prediction. But Booker and North use the presumed contrast between the forecast (which was, of course, for the whole winter) and the current event to imply not only that climate change is a giant conspiracy coordinated by the Met Office, but that long-term temperatures are not rising. North suggests that the regional cold snap derails the global temperature prediction for the whole of 2010. (http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/blog/2010/jan/06/cold-snap-climate-sceptics)

zhao
14-01-2010, 07:57 PM
wearing 2 sweaters with hoodie, 2 pairs of pants, and scarf in my home studio with the heat on. it's the kind of cold that gets under everything...

craner
14-01-2010, 09:18 PM
It's not that cold any more.

polystyle desu
14-01-2010, 09:26 PM
Warmer here too.
People will go out tonight ...

craner
14-01-2010, 09:41 PM
What a pathetic bunch of fucks we are, though. Complaining for years that Christmas is never white any more, global fucking warming, booo! Then it snows at Christmas and it's all "I can't go anywhere!" "I'm losing lots of money!"

It's Jade and Shilpa and Branscombe beach all over again! What a fucking nightmare!

The snow brought fieldfares and redwings to my garden, I couldn't get to university, the fields looked beautiful, the country shut down, and it was quiet and cold, and we had log fires, and I read John Donne and smoked cigarettes and drank brandy outside in subzero tempratures wearing a brand new cashmire scarf. It was lovely: Dylan Thomas and Swansea aged 6 all over.

craner
14-01-2010, 09:53 PM
* (http://worldwarfour.blogspot.com/2007/01/thats-intense.html)

Mr. Tea
14-01-2010, 10:10 PM
You're right. We're a disgrace. :(

craner
14-01-2010, 10:22 PM
No, you're all a fucking disgrace. Except, of course, me.

craner
14-01-2010, 10:22 PM
I'm not sure that makes sense. Help me, Tea, I can't stand up.

swears
14-01-2010, 11:58 PM
H&M's thermal long johns is where it's at. I bought 3 pairs.

I'm going to bed now with my hot bockie. Night.