Rolling dream-pop thread

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Just discovered the Paradise Motel, apparently Australian dream-pop band of yore. And they're great. my favourite song isn't on youtube, but this is a lovely cover:

I thought Bat for Lashes' Daniel was pretty dream-poppy too, in a Stevie Nicks kinda way.

Anyway, ongoing thread...I periodically discover some of this stuff, and wonder why I never actively search for it...probably because there's so much dross to get through to find a gem...

Tim F

The Paradise Motel were great, I'd search basically everything they ever did.

If you like them I'd recommend Piano Magic (esp. 'Bliss Out', 'Low Birth Weight', 'Artists' Rifles' and 'The Troubled Sleep Of...'), and Earwig/Insides (different sound but similar vibe at times I feel)

Cerzi

I've never heard this stuff but I like it - reminds me vaguely of some stuff by Bitcrush, in a kind of dreamy nostalgic-washy way.

stephenk

i really like that piano magic track "no closure" from that world war i concept album, it sounds really lowland-stormy when he talks about "the forecourts of french libraries" and "planes/plains to japan"...i haven't heard the rest of the album but i guess it's one of the worst ones

Tim F

If you like "No Closure" you'll probably like the rest of that album, though I think both Low Birth Weight and The Troubled Sleep Of... are better.

Apparently The Paradise Motel have a new album on the way, 12 years after their last one!

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Thanks for the info on Paradise Motel.

Yeah, used to be a Trembling Blue Stars/Field Mice fan! V good stuff.

BareBones

wheezy
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

lanugo

von Verfall erzittern
Some of the best contemporary shoegaze, aka "newgaze", and/or (electronic) dream pop comes from Sweden:

I used to be downright addicted to The Morning Paper's epic noisy tunes. The Bridal Shop's also great, though their new tracks don't really qualify as Dream Pop anymore.

Last edited:

lanugo

von Verfall erzittern
Noisy is OK, but I think in the spirit of the original genre the melodious blissfulness should not be neglected. :)

By the way, my favourite shoegaze band ever is The Radio Dept.. Divine Pop.