20 best reggae 45s of the noughties

Benny Bunter

Nice one, I'm enjoying listening to these selections. I've never fully took the plunge into buying reggae records, I usually just pick up the odd compilation or mix, so this is great.

Have you got any more mixes planned btw? I've rinsed all the ones you and Grievous done so much now, I need more!

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Surprised how many of these I know - I really was paying attentiion after all. On the Diwali, my favourite cut was always the Lenky instrumental that later turned up on the beyond-brilliant Wayne and Wax podcast...

john eden

male pale and stale
Surprised how many of these I know - I really was paying attentiion after all. On the Diwali, my favourite cut was always the Lenky instrumental that later turned up on the beyond-brilliant Wayne and Wax podcast...

Yeah I know what you mean, Baboon - it was actually very easy to put the list together for me because there were so many big tunes I'd forgotten about.

Glad people like it. Controversy seeking "worst things about reggae in the noughties" post now up: http://www.uncarved.org/blog/2010/01/10-worst-things-about-reggae-in-the-noughties/

part two of the chart tomorrow if everything goes to plan.

Fun times :)

matt b

Indexing all opinion
Wicked memories and serious thoughts, John... as it should be.

Shake the Foundations 2 remains one of the best contemporary JA reggae mixes of the past 10 years- everyone I have played it to who I respect one iota has taken it to heart.

That it has, so far been a base of your selection of best 000000s tunes is a testament to your foresight... or luck ;)

I hope you'll include a touch of UK-Dub later, no?

Last edited:

Benny Bunter

Lyric maker is the one. Unbelievably good mix.

Just realised that i havent got the shake the foundations mix, and i thought i'd downloaded all the reggae mixes off your blog! Must remedy that immediately.

edit: is this mix still available? The link to bassnation from your website looks dead

Last edited:

john eden

male pale and stale
yes the Shake2 mix isn't online now but lots of people have asked for it, so will re-up soon.

And yes definitely luck played a part in it all, just being able to hear those tunes and pick them up I guess!

Matt - I'd not really feel qualified to do a uk dub rundown so will leave that to someone else (and of course the all time chart in Woofah).

unknown soulja

Wild Horses
Thanks john, really interesting read all round.
The guardian articles truly are terrible - especially the collie buddz one!
That michael rose tune is astounding and i love the horns on Chant dem down thanks for the pointer on those!
Gotta admit i love the akon version of ghetto story tho - find his vocal properly haunting!

philblackpool

gamelanstep
All three Uncarved blogs referred to on this thread are excellent reading (as always)...cheers.

I too was pleased that I had paid attention a bit better than I thought I had this decade. Really pleased to see VC in there, slightly disappointed not to see Chezidek's lovely "Leave the Trees". I SO identify with the "sit this dance out" comment on the last couple of years of autotune: listening to 1xtra programmes downloaded off the set-top box is so much quicker when you have a "Delete as soon as you hear an autotune" rule! Totally irritating gimmick, adds nothing to the vast majority of the tunes it is used on...

Do I get bonus marks for having a ginuwine original Shake the Foundations Volume ONE CDR someone gave me but not the seemingly leg end Vol 2?!

Wayne & Wax podcast? Got a link?! A man of good taste...

unknown soulja

Wild Horses
I SO identify with the "sit this dance out" comment on the last couple of years of autotune

See i totally disagree, i think the last couple of years have been amazing for dancehall, so many artists coming through and totally changing the game, but depends on what style of tunes you like i suppose...

luka

i like the housewife style of reggae too but i would like to see someone do a list like this for more harder styles.
and is there a good place for dancehall mixes? i miss hearing this stuff on the radio.
(dont tell me about 1xtra)

Last edited: