Team Shadetek Interview

Dubquixote

Submariner
To all NYC massive who have been interested in the burgeoning grime scene that has been percolating here around the Bangers & Mash parties, check out my interview with the mans working overtime to make it happen --> Team Shadetek - who also have a promising label in the works and a unique vision for pushing the sounds of the global urban underground...

http://dubquixote.blogspot.com

Enjoy! and thanks mistah Shizzle for contributing....

adruu

This Is It
seconded, heard about these two first via swoon....i think there was a modeselektor (berlin) connection also right?

cooper

adruu said:
seconded, heard about these two first via swoon....i think there was a modeselektor (berlin) connection also right?

iirc matt shadetek lives mostly in berlin.

ryan17

adruu said:

you might know this already but i thought i would mention it. modeselektor appear on the team shadetek : the girls EP, so there is def a connection.

Canada J Soup

Monkey Man
Interesting that the Shadetek guys talk about trying to bridge the gap between party music and head music...their nights have been great, but I feel like the crowds have so far skewed more towards music geek than 'NYC dancing crew' resulting in energy levels not being what they could. I'm hoping word about Bangers'n'Mash will spread fast 'cause I'd love to be able to hear this music in a room full of people going completely nuts.

mms

sometimes
Canada J Soup said:
Interesting that the Shadetek guys talk about trying to bridge the gap between party music and head music...their nights have been great, but I feel like the crowds have so far skewed more towards music geek than 'NYC dancing crew' resulting in energy levels not being what they could. I'm hoping word about Bangers'n'Mash will spread fast 'cause I'd love to be able to hear this music in a room full of people going completely nuts.

that's quite often the trouble, especially if you have heard their warp lp which was frankly a bit of a wasted opportunity.
most of those nights are fully of 20 something white guys pining for early idm and sweet melody wrapped in a blanket of complex beat science or something.
i've djed with them a couple of times, once about 4 years ago at rhythm factory when they were little more than an autechre tribute act, then last year when they pulled some better stuff out the bag.

Jesse D Serrins

Canada J Soup said:

That was the thing I thought about the last one with Jammer/D/Ears. I think someone posted on the thread discussing the show that they didn't quite rise to the occaision up on stage. But it's gotta be a reciprocal thing, and there was little reciprocation from the audience if you ask me. I almost felt like a lot of people came to see what would happen, rather than to participate. You can't expect all the work to be done for you, unless you're a marionette.

polystyle

B&M

Well, that last B&M night did net an article in today's NY Times music section .
To be fair , these guys are busting butt to put on the shows , prolly not making a huge amount of $ in process - and what can you do about the people who attend anyway ?
Whoever shows up shows up - and maybe those people actually pay to get in.
Bit early to expect any audience to be all up in the *hit when for alot of them it was their first real time to ck grime MC's live and in the flesh

i seem to recall not long ago a question /concern floated was if grime would ever make it OUT of London,
now that (in some forms) it's arriving 'out of London' give the people some time.
Some NY'ers - like it or not - often like to just listen and digest,
attending and just nodding heads cannot be a crime .

I'd rather be in a crowd of head nodders then the 'night of a dozen silly caps ' Budwieser drinkin crowd that attended Diplo the previous night at same venue

Jesse D Serrins

Oh, I mean I'm in no way trying to criticize the Shadetek guys. I'm fully excited about what they're up to, and I don't doubt they're working their asses off.

polystyle des said:
Bit early to expect any audience to be all up in the *hit when for alot of them it was their first real time to ck grime MC's live and in the flesh
Some NY'ers - like it or not - often like to just listen and digest,
attending and just nodding heads cannot be a crime .

I'd rather be in a crowd of head nodders then the 'night of a dozen silly caps ' Budwieser drinkin crowd that attended Diplo the previous night at same venue

All very true, but as long as people aren't just being stupid, I almost always have a better time with music when there's not too much stationary thinking going on. But that's just me, I'd never seen Grime performed before myself. Anyway, I'm sure the sound itself is totally new to a lot of people 'round here.

theo

pollymarchs 4 eva
Canada J Soup said:

Serious bangers n mash is the only night I will def go out to in NYC and I dance my tits off. The tunes they spun before D Double came on were heavy got the crowd well pumped.