belgian hardcore

dubplatestyle

were there any good comps of this stuff? or (especially!) mixes?? i don't think i have ever heard this stuff mixed, despite being some of my favorite music like ever.

dominic

Beast of Burden
xl second chapter

and then courtesy of jimbackhouse, there's reactivate volumes 1 through 3 on the react label

don't know of any mixes that are *exclusively* belgian hardcore

Clubberlang

There are a couple of R&S comps (Vintage R&S, I think?) that are really good. I don't think commercial CD mixes really caught on until after the Belgian hey day (I don't think there are any big bleep mixes either, but I could be wrong about both.)

Clubberlang

Actually looking at the R&S discogs thing there are a hell of lot more than just a couple, but they aren't exclusively Belgian either (a lot of 'ardkore hits mixed in there.)

dominic

Beast of Burden
and there's always the "everything starts with an e" site

try the stu allen mix from 1991 -- that should be a good bet for a mix heavy on belgian stuff

dominic

Beast of Burden
dominic said:
and there's always the "everything starts with an e" site

try the stu allen mix from 1991 -- that should be a good bet for a mix heavy on belgian stuff

i'm actually listening to the stu allen mix right now -- lots of belgian stuff, but not too groovy (though it gets better toward the end -- also, this mix seems to have 92 stuff on it, despite being filed on the site as 91)

for a better take -- go w/ the grooverider mixes

all these mixes are a mix of uk breakbeat, proto jungle, and belgian -- which is how it was

Last edited:

dubplatestyle

yeah i had those xl comps, but they're still out in washington in a storage locker.

what's this "everything starts with an e" site?

dominic

Beast of Burden
actually if anyone does listen to this stu allen mix, then time to play another round of ID the dance track game . . . .

okay here goes: what's the song toward the end of the mix, perhaps 4 or 5 tracks away from the end of the mix, b/w the track that has the dominator riff and the track w/ the "don't be afraid" sample

this is a really well-known track -- a massive hit (altern8???) -- and i've been trying to have various people ID this track off a tape of stu allen's radio show that i have from summer of 91 -- so funny that it should appear on the stu allen on-line mix (@amnesia@shelley's in 1991)

the 1992 track "living dream" by new class A has the same bassline

any answers?

Last edited:

Pearsall

Prodigal Son
There was a 'Best of Reactivate' 3-disc cd set that came out not that long ago that had an entire cd of Belgian stuff/

dominic

Beast of Burden
just woke up this morning (really early!) -- anyway now i'm playing the other stu allen mix from 1991 on the everything starts w/ an e site -- the one from new age@eclipse (i.e., the mix that is 47 minutes long) -- really really ultra groovy but less heavy on the belgian hits -- it's got the massive uk hits (and a healthy dose of italian poptastism)!

Last edited:

Ach!

Turd on the Run
I've had <a target="_blank" href="http://www.discogs.com/release/11576">this ARS (!) compilation</a> since about 1992 I think. DIdn't think much of it at the time as it seemed dated in relation to all the breakbeat 'ardkore i was listening to, but it's pretty good - got some of the classics on there. I can yousendit if anyone would like (as long as there are no legal or moral issues about it).

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Revive!

That Reactivate 3CD comp is fantastic - evrything from Mentasm to Horsepower on there. Any further recommendations?

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Of course, 'James Brown is Dead' is still the best title for a track ever.

Ironic that it should appear so shortly after Public Enemy (on Fight the Power, above all) proved JB to be very much alive and kicking in a very different context.

Pearsall

Prodigal Son
baboon2004 said:
Revive!

That Reactivate 3CD comp is fantastic - evrything from Mentasm to Horsepower on there. Any further recommendations?

If you can get your hands on either of the first two R&S 'In Order to Dance' comps they are highly worthwhile.

Slightly different, but Flux Trax 1 and Flux Trax 2 are probably two of my favorite compilations of late 80's/early 90's house, techno and trance (especially Flux Trax 2). If you can find them I heartily recommend them.

Slightly later and slightly faster, but Prolekulture was a really excellent comp as well.

mms

sometimes
baboon2004 said:
Of course, 'James Brown is Dead' is still the best title for a track ever.

Ironic that it should appear so shortly after Public Enemy (on Fight the Power, above all) proved JB to be very much alive and kicking in a very different context.

there was an answer track 'james brown is still alive'
fucking kicking track that
jesus loves the acid by ecstacy club is just the most unbelievable record i dont own i tell you.
i met a guy last night who was a new beat producer and engineered at r and s early on, told me a story about engineering for derrick may when he came over to do new stuff for r and s , and he came up with eight bars of music over a few days. what a shame.