Software you love

craner

Beast of Burden
Bruce Lee on cassette for the ZX Spectrum +

Um, is that software? Don't know, but I do love it.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

connect_icut

Well, Max/MSP, which I've discussed extensively in another thread.

On the music/audio front, I've also been getting a lot of use out of SoundHack recently - a great free tool for combining sounds to create beautiful drones and atmospheres.

But retro-gaming, now that's another matter. I use - and though it shames me to admit it, love:

MacMAME - for playing vintage video game ROMs on the Mac
ZXSP - crazy Spectrum "simulator", which actually requires the user to load games from virtual tapes!
SMS Plus - Sega Master System emulator

massrock

I sued to love Zeus Assembler for the ZX Spectrum. Beautiful minimal thing.

Also Sculpt-Animate 4D for the Amiga. Even with an accelerated Amiga it would take tens of hours to render a few seconds. But it was nice to use and just so fresh that you could even do that on a home computer.

Sometimes I love Ableton Live.

woops

is not like other people
<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
I'm very enamoured with IShowU

http://store.shinywhitebox.com/home/home.html

which is like SnapzPro but better and doesn't phone home to American Universities every 5 seconds.

It captures whatever you do onscreen, audio and video. The first time I used it I genuinely thought it was magic - you can capture video you're streaming and the audio. It felt like I was actually inside the computer at last, instead of just watching it; I was finally interacting with my use of the computer, rather than just using it.
Now if I just leave it on I get these moments where what I'm making/watching and what I'm listening to kindof symbolically slide against each other. I record what I do and watch it back, it's a hermetically sealed process. It's certainly my most used program. I don't know if I'm in love though. That would be cheating against the memory of my Amstrad word processor, and I was definitely in love with that; nothing beats green words and cursor on a black screen.

Dusty

Tone deaf
I love VRay - a render engine for use with most 3D apps. I like 3D modelling but I love only VRay with its simulation of light down to the ISO and F-Stop settings of your virtual camera, and physical sky.

sufi

lala
i ♥
Phed.png
Microsoft Photo Editor, sorry
very simple, free, and sadly no longer available image editor, appeals to the consumer primitive in me

i also have strong affection for other really basic kit like:
renamer fairy
textpad

and a somewhat twisted fascination with excel, which is certainly not love, but is not a normal working relationship either

Woebot

I love VRay - a render engine for use with most 3D apps. I like 3D modelling but I love only VRay with its simulation of light down to the ISO and F-Stop settings of your virtual camera, and physical sky.

I'm sure I could google this but does VRay work with Maya? I use Mental Ray, and have been tempted to buy Renderman but have never looked at VRay. How does it compare?

Numbers

Dropbox.

It's not really the kind of program you feel really passionate about, but makes life so much easier that you wonder how you ever managed without. The horror of lost usb keys! Last-minute mailing articles to yourself! Ne-ver a-gain :)

www.getdropbox.com

Dusty

Tone deaf
http://www.vray.com/vray_for_maya/

When you are up to the level of Vray and Mental Ray there is nothing between them, Both are as high end as you could realistically go when it comes to rendering software. The only real limitation is the skill of the user. If you have one and have learnt how to use it I wouldn't recommend forking out for another.

bob effect

somnambulist
Dropbox.

It's not really the kind of program you feel really passionate about, but makes life so much easier that you wonder how you ever managed without. The horror of lost usb keys! Last-minute mailing articles to yourself! Ne-ver a-gain :)

www.getdropbox.com

This this and thrice this. The best realised online (though it doesn't seem like it's online) storage/ sharing solution by a mile imo.

grizzleb

FL studio is probably responsible for 99% of the more interesting ghetto sheez that's been coming out of dance music, funky, juke, etc. A great program that has opened up electronic music making 2 da masses.

Foobar is amazing for its simplicity and high functionalism.

Ness Rowlah

Norwegian Wood
Gmail and Google Reader for browsing. Tweetie/Byline for iphone.
Opera - for its overall smartness; Mouse Gestures+directory of photos on your HD = fastest way to browse through hundreds of photos.

But software has a long way to go - most people are still using IE, have no idea what RSS is and browsing the web using back and forward buttons like it was Netscape Navigator in 1997.

Benny Bunter

After finally giving up on getting Audacity to record radio streams using Windows 7, I came across this nifty free toolbar that makes it a piece of piss: Freecorder 4.

Petchy's getting recorded tomorrow night for starters :)