PDA

View Full Version : rolling back to the future garage/post-dubstep/alt-funkstep/intelli-2step etc thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

gumdrops
02-02-2010, 09:07 PM
this could catch on.

this is on the same label as deadboy; sounds a bit kitsch to me, but im sure someone will like it.

http://www.boomkat.com/item.cfm?id=255163

mrfaucet
02-02-2010, 09:29 PM
Think this topic needed doing. I wasn't brave enough to do it.

TRU_G
02-02-2010, 10:04 PM
Not too sure about all this future garage malarky but the second track on this

http://www.boomkat.com/item.cfm?id=248731

is lush

paolo
05-02-2010, 08:10 AM
2010 is going to be the year of Intelligent Funky

:D:D:D

luka
05-02-2010, 08:48 AM
i like some of those duncan powell things.

bassbeyondreason
05-02-2010, 09:42 AM
Bah, everyone knows stupidi-2step (http://soundcloud.com/bassbeyondreason/noizy-b-cock-wasp) is the one.

Blackdown
05-02-2010, 10:40 AM
Oneman interview (http://blackdownsoundboy.blogspot.com/2010/02/there-can-only-be-oneman.html) by me.

mms
05-02-2010, 10:43 AM
2010 is going to be the year of Intelligent Funky

:D:D:D

the horror the horror

benjybars
05-02-2010, 12:26 PM
Oneman interview (http://blackdownsoundboy.blogspot.com/2010/02/there-can-only-be-oneman.html) by me.

just read that.

really, really interesting interview.

nice one.

jackmaster
05-02-2010, 01:06 PM
btw Blackdown... the best thing on this tip I've heard in ages is the flip on that Sully record. And it was a big fuck you to all the haters in Glasgow that denied any possible links between UK Garage and Rave music.

Brown nosing over.

Kristian
05-02-2010, 01:41 PM

Good interview. I especially liked your little interjections concerning the hardcore continuum. Very interesting!

Props.

jimitheexploder
05-02-2010, 01:53 PM
btw Blackdown... the best thing on this tip I've heard in ages is the flip on that Sully record. And it was a big fuck you to all the haters in Glasgow that denied any possible links between UK Garage and Rave music.

Brown nosing over.

I played that last night, it went down damn well in a small club in York too haha.

Then this lass told me that Aidy's Girl Is A Computer nearly made her cry and that I should never be afraid to skank*

Untold's remix of Baobinga Ride It got a good reaction too.

*I'm not affriad to skank...

Blackdown
05-02-2010, 02:39 PM

safe. it was an insta-sign. but, do you mean rave or purple wow?

jackmaster
05-02-2010, 05:10 PM
Definitely Rave. But come to think of it, it does rmind me a little of Trance-Goon-Step.

gostwan
05-02-2010, 06:51 PM
all the haters in Glasgow that denied any possible links between UK Garage and Rave music.

???? Do you get those?

The break in this reminds me of black dog.

grizzleb
05-02-2010, 06:53 PM
They're worse than holocaust deniers.

Corpsey
05-02-2010, 08:14 PM
intelli-2step?

bit of a loaded term haha

gumdrops
05-02-2010, 10:28 PM
just wait for chinstroking funkstep.

massrock
05-02-2010, 11:21 PM
Dual-core.

Oh wait, what about spod-core?

cobretti
06-02-2010, 01:00 AM
That Oneman interview is the best I've read on your site Blackdown, sometime the other meander a bit too far and get a bit tangential, but that was entertaining and intriguing from start to finish.

PS: Every proposed genre name in this topic title is ridiculous. In the worst way possible.

bun-u
06-02-2010, 03:18 PM
I fail to get very excited turgid revivalist garage made by posh boys (the type who hated it first time around)

spooks
06-02-2010, 03:35 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMEE1_ru9Ek

http://www.chemical-records.co.uk/sc/servlet/sm?C=FF001B&S=4

Duncan Powell is really really good. I preferred his free EP he gave away last year, including gems like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mfp_DIVOMFw

grizzleb
06-02-2010, 03:43 PM
That Roska track sounds great but very un-Roska. Got that kind of blue 2562 keys thing going on. Look forward to his album, should be a nice variety if that's anything to go by.

wise
06-02-2010, 03:53 PM
Is Roska not classed as Funky now?
Is this because he's too successful and non Funky DJs play his tracks?

Benny B
06-02-2010, 04:02 PM
It appears he's been doing some dubstep too for his forthcoming album...

http://soundcloud.com/roskakickssnares/squark

Its very...ploddy

wise
06-02-2010, 04:05 PM
that's not dubstep it's just ploddy funky with weird noises, boring tho yes

spooks
06-02-2010, 04:31 PM
Is Roska not classed as Funky now?
Is this because he's too successful and non Funky DJs play his tracks?

I didn't class him as anything mayne! Anyway what would you call that I Need Love tune if you wanted to genrify it?

wise
06-02-2010, 04:36 PM
I just thought it was strange that you didn't post it in the funky thread, I don't really care for all these tiny sub genre distinctions.
Thanks for the tune tho it's good

grizzleb
06-02-2010, 04:40 PM
That tune isn't really dubstep is it. Just funkyish style. Reckon it's quality, nice jacking beat.

bassbeyondreason
06-02-2010, 04:59 PM
I fail to get very excited turgid revivalist garage made by posh boys (the type who hated it first time around)

I'd argue with this if there didn't seem to be an awful lot of this around.

wise
06-02-2010, 05:01 PM

Yeah, I hated it when that posh boy Photek started making all those awful jungle records, shocking

Sick Boy
06-02-2010, 06:58 PM
Finally! Bassjacker's & Apster "Klambu" - I've been trying to find out the name of this track for months now.

gumdrops
07-02-2010, 11:38 AM
PS: Every proposed genre name in this topic title is ridiculous. In the worst way possible.

and there i was hoping intelli 2 step would be a whole new reviews page in dj magazine. :rolleyes:

as for posh boys, well its a pretty lucrative (relatively speaking) audience isnt it. not really surprising rinse wants to get some of that lot on board/'join the dots' etc. but its all basically just an outgrowth of dubstep. this stuff is kindaaaaaaa like to funky what dubstep was to grime (so majority black artists/audience for funky, majority white artists/audience for whatever this stuff is), even down to people like oneman saying he sees it as the 'deeper' flip to everything else thats going on. and the 2 steppier future garage stuff IS basically like prog garage or something isnt it? i do like a fair bit of it when i hear it but its usual sort of thing when mainly white artists find an old black music genre (dont get me wrong i think they are doing something a bit diff with it and i prefer that they are but, nonetheless...), and then everyone seems to think its superior to the previous version (not everyone of course, plenty dont and are prob just made more open to old 2step cos of these guys, but i bet a fair amount of the audience for it think like that) made and endorsed mainly by a black audience.

anyway, do like that new joy orb track with the film sample about work that oneman played the other week. prob wouldnt have remembered it if it wasnt for that sample, but it was quite nice. interesting sample too.

mms
07-02-2010, 12:31 PM
and there i was hoping intelli 2 step would be a whole new reviews page in dj magazine. :rolleyes:

as for posh boys, well its a pretty lucrative (relatively speaking) audience isnt it. not really surprising rinse wants to get some of that lot on board/'join the dots' etc. but its all basically just an outgrowth of dubstep. this stuff is kindaaaaaaa like to funky what dubstep was to grime (so majority black artists/audience for funky, majority white artists/audience for whatever this stuff is), even down to people like oneman saying he sees it as the 'deeper' flip to everything else thats going on. and the 2 steppier future garage stuff IS basically like prog garage or something isnt it? i do like a fair bit of it when i hear it but its usual sort of thing when mainly white artists find an old black music genre (dont get me wrong i think they are doing something a bit diff with it and i prefer that they are but, nonetheless...), and then everyone seems to think its superior to the previous version (not everyone of course, plenty dont and are prob just made more open to old 2step cos of these guys, but i bet a fair amount of the audience for it think like that) made and endorsed mainly by a black audience.

anyway, do like that new joy orb track with the film sample about work that oneman played the other week. prob wouldnt have remembered it if it wasnt for that sample, but it was quite nice. interesting sample too.

how much of this rubbish do you actually believe?

going back to 2 step is kinda problematic, cos its a bit like acid jazz, cos it could be that it's only a certain side of 2-step that gets fetishised to an extent, the beat science without the pop element, without the audience too on the whole, the things that made it actually exciting, it's working in a vaccum, cos garage's time is over and these kinda things never really work out right, they're always problematic, a sign of retreat, also a way to signify roots, locale, authenticity, something that's both extremely boring, doesn't allow people to come into a genre at anytime without seeing it as a threat and unreachable and also inconsistent.

I guess it's also cos dubstep kinda fucked up on the rhythm side of things, didn't really deliver on it's promise of being a post garage genre on the whole, so some people are quitting while they're ahead and trying to make a version of garage again.

All these genre names are really really dreadful, things are being spliced so much nowdays a genre might consist of 3 records that only 2,000 people have.

Tim F
07-02-2010, 12:43 PM
I'd say there's probably an audience for this stuff who were oblivious of 2-step b/c of being too young or into entirely different things at the time - but I'd be surprised if people like this who hated 2-step.

Although that's partly because being in Australia I barely knew anyone who was aware of 2-step, so it wasn't the kind of thing anything hated as such.

Was surprised, though, to discover from blackdown's blog that Whistla kinda dislikes uk funky and despises So Solid Crew et. al. I guess it explains why he does what he does though.

mms
07-02-2010, 12:47 PM
Was surprised, though, to discover from blackdown's blog that Whistla kinda dislikes uk funky and despises So Solid Crew et. al. I guess it explains why he does what he does though.

It seems very odd to dislike funky, i haven't read it but what were his reasons?

Alot of people hated uk garage, esp if they'd come from drum and bass etc, pr didn't like dance music and esp as unlike drum and bass etc, it was ubiquitous in clubs and bars in and around london, signified bling to alot of people etc.

Tim F
07-02-2010, 12:51 PM
B: The elephant in the future garage room for me is that you can very effectively argue that UK funky is future garage, or certainly UKG mark II. For me any move to revive garage ideas should do its best to work with the energy and ideas of the funky scene, as it has grass roots support in London and tons of momentum. But I sense you're not so keen, what's your feeling on if or how future garage and funky could interact?

W: Yeah your right, I'm very uncomfortable with UK Funky. I don't particularly like the idea of UKG pt2 and I can see the same patterns repeating already that happened back with UKG pt1, the dress codes, the mc's, the "cheesey crossovers", except that its all happened in a year and a half, rather than over 5 yrs. I do however really like the fact that there is UK Funky, as it "leaves us alone" to build our thing without "scensters" trying to jump on it. I guess if pushed to make UK Funky and future garage interact I would have UK Funky in one room and future garage in another. Thats how I would envision it.

I personally dont hear UK funky as being very "garagey." I dont often hear the "swing" and even less "the shuffle", plus tropical beats and soca patterns have never really been my thing. Most UK funky I've ever heard has been either very housey or too broken beat for my taste. I actually hear a stronger Acid House era influence to a lot of UK Funky than a garage one. Future Garage has that indescribable something that I want from tunes, funky hasn't given me that. And trying to "cash in" on the success of another scene also seems slightly wrong, I'd rather future garage do its own thing, on its own terms.

Full interview for context: http://blackdownsoundboy.blogspot.com/2009/11/wot-do-u-call-it-future-garage.html

Tim F
07-02-2010, 12:56 PM
NB. I'm not having a go at Whistla - it's good that he has an honest and worked out idea of what he likes, even if I feel very differently obv.

It's interesting too b/c funky kinda revives basically everything about uk garage EXCEPT its specific beat matrix. Whereas "future garage" seems in large part to be about situating the uk garage beat matrix in different/new musical contexts.

So it's like the two scenes split uk garage's lessons between them.

gumdrops
07-02-2010, 01:08 PM
how much of this rubbish do you actually believe?

what part of what i said do you ever so politely find fault with exactly? if you read various posts on dsf at any point in time you can usually read stuff that has a somewhat patronising attitude to overtly black scenes. its not exactly a great leap to think most people into future garage prob didnt like it back then, and prob still dont (though many will have changed their minds, as i said before).

bun-u
07-02-2010, 01:14 PM
I'd say there's probably an audience for this stuff who were oblivious of 2-step b/c of being too young or into entirely different things at the time - but I'd be surprised if people like this who hated 2-step.

of course the people making this stuff were too young to be into garage at the time, my cheeky 'posh boy' comment was more about how the landscape for garage-related music has shifted wholesale. I remember calling into this IDM-type shop on Old Street (forget it's name?) early last decade and overhead the owner boasting that when people call in and give him garage records, he went out the back and smashed them up. That kind of view of garage was pretty widespread amongst that electronic muso crowd and I guess it's just funny how everything has changed. Undoubtedly, IDM trumped by garage should be viewed as a triumph, until you realise its an IDM version of garage...all the interesting bits bleached out, stuff that really doesn't make you want to dance

mms
07-02-2010, 01:15 PM
B: The elephant in the future garage room for me is that you can very effectively argue that UK funky is future garage, or certainly UKG mark II. For me any move to revive garage ideas should do its best to work with the energy and ideas of the funky scene, as it has grass roots support in London and tons of momentum. But I sense you're not so keen, what's your feeling on if or how future garage and funky could interact?

W: Yeah your right, I'm very uncomfortable with UK Funky. I don't particularly like the idea of UKG pt2 and I can see the same patterns repeating already that happened back with UKG pt1, the dress codes, the mc's, the "cheesey crossovers", except that its all happened in a year and a half, rather than over 5 yrs. I do however really like the fact that there is UK Funky, as it "leaves us alone" to build our thing without "scensters" trying to jump on it. I guess if pushed to make UK Funky and future garage interact I would have UK Funky in one room and future garage in another. Thats how I would envision it.

I personally dont hear UK funky as being very "garagey." I dont often hear the "swing" and even less "the shuffle", plus tropical beats and soca patterns have never really been my thing. Most UK funky I've ever heard has been either very housey or too broken beat for my taste. I actually hear a stronger Acid House era influence to a lot of UK Funky than a garage one. Future Garage has that indescribable something that I want from tunes, funky hasn't given me that. And trying to "cash in" on the success of another scene also seems slightly wrong, I'd rather future garage do its own thing, on its own terms.

Full interview for context: http://blackdownsoundboy.blogspot.com/2009/11/wot-do-u-call-it-future-garage.html

all very odd stuff

mms
07-02-2010, 01:27 PM
what part of what i said do you ever so politely find fault with exactly? if you read various posts on dsf at any point in time you can usually read stuff that has a somewhat patronising attitude to overtly black scenes. its not exactly a great leap to think most people into future garage prob didnt like it back then, and prob still dont (though many will have changed their minds, as i said before).

i don't care if dubstep forum has twats on it i know that, so what, dubstep forum is as much a consensus as any other set of fans of a genre.

i sometimes wonder if it's possible for a discussions of a dance genre to exist without these weird rather cynical and spiteful accusations of authenticity based around race and class to exist, as if thats consistent with anyone's actual experience of dancing to music. As if you know that they're posh, and if you could credibly make these characterisations, if you'd not seen their faces.

i'm wondering why in your first post you seemed to be saying people who are trying to recreate garage didn't like garage, are doing it for the money, ( as if!) that people will find it superior essentially cos they're white etc, that seems far fetched and horribly cynical. Also the other stuff where you do a daft job of trying to make out whistla etc are eric clapton well http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3PMV6VoK_g&feature=related

mms
07-02-2010, 02:42 PM
of course the people making this stuff were too young to be into garage at the time, my cheeky 'posh boy' comment was more about how the landscape for garage-related music has shifted wholesale. I remember calling into this IDM-type shop on Old Street (forget it's name?) early last decade and overhead the owner boasting that when people call in and give him garage records, he went out the back and smashed them up. That kind of view of garage was pretty widespread amongst that electronic muso crowd and I guess it's just funny how everything has changed. Undoubtedly, IDM trumped by garage should be viewed as a triumph, until you realise its an IDM version of garage...all the interesting bits bleached out, stuff that really doesn't make you want to dance

some guy in a long closed niche record store doesn't reflect anything now though really, he's just an obnoxious twat. That whistla interview suggests he's a big garage fan, and i would imagine it's hard to make garage if you didn't like it, idm's as long distant a genre as garage is now too, those politics are as much a 90's revival as anything else we're duscussing here!

Furthermore if you look at alot of the micro house stuff etc and all that from just after garage started etc, its dance music that seems to be heavily invested in garage's beat science or extended concepts, even if producers didn't directly acknowledge it or weren't from the scene or the uk, it's there, and that stuff probably wouldn't have happened without idm happening too.

mos dan
07-02-2010, 06:31 PM

i'm glad that was just meant to be cheeky, because i was about to call you on a comment i felt was quite profoundly and uncharacteristically reactionary.

who are these posh boys pushing garage? oneman? do you want to tell him he's posh or shall i? do you also want to tell him he wasn't into garage the first time round? who else are these straw djs or producers making garage? deadboy? whistla? what do you know about their backgrounds?

sorry i'm not annoyed with you, but i worry this is an echo of the same patronising middle-class armchair-marxist bullshit in reynolds' post about how jam city wasn't viable cos he was too articulate, too musically literate - as bok bok said in response "whereas if he called himself cityjamz and talked road, he'd be fine"

it makes me pretty angry, to be honest - not cos of what it says about joy orb or jam city or anyone making what is actually mostly house, not garage.. but because it reeks of noxious, patronising paternalism to everyone else.

mos dan
07-02-2010, 06:33 PM
anyway you're all missing the point - attitudes to garage 'the first time around' for the vast majority of people mentioned in this thread is irrelevant - BECAUSE THEY WERE TOO YOUNG!!

whistla being the notable exception

slackk
07-02-2010, 07:29 PM
my main issue is that a lot of it is just boring

mms
07-02-2010, 07:53 PM
anyway you're all missing the point - attitudes to garage 'the first time around' for the vast majority of people mentioned in this thread is irrelevant - BECAUSE THEY WERE TOO YOUNG!!

whistla being the notable exception

well it would have been listened to in different contexts, ie not in a soclal context of going out which could explain why for alot of these producers they only want the beat science in a new social context.

mos dan
07-02-2010, 08:58 PM
well it would have been listened to in different contexts, ie not in a soclal context of going out which could explain why for alot of these producers they only want the beat science in a new social context.

yeah that's a fair point - i just meant in the sense that they would've been too young to make a choice about getting into/going out to ukg raves - or to reject the genre, equally

Tim F
07-02-2010, 09:59 PM
Blackdown's recent interview with OneMan suggests that it's "common ground" that a good deal of OneMan's success lies in his old UKG selections effectively being "dubplates" given so much of the audience never would have heard them before. Obv OneMan's own knowledge is pretty deep and curatorial, and he's got the right attitude to it I think (from my perspective anyway), he doesn't try to "slant" UKG in any particular fashion.

Dan I'd disagree with you on Jam City in this specific sense: it's pretty obvious that he's going for a "deep"/"serious" vibe musically, it's not like if you heard him sans FACT interview you would assume that he was essentially interchangeable with Sticky, say (in either his garage or his funky incarnations).

If Jam City actually was called CityJamz and talked "road" it would be a massive case of mis-marketing - b/c his music wouldn't work in that context, he wouldn't suddenly find his tracks turned into skanks on youtube, whereas the people open to the idea of a deep/serious version of quasi-funky wouldn't be nearly as compelled to check him out.

Reynolds' point is not that Jam City is rendered irrelevant by his name and his interview responses - rather, that these things point to and articulate the vibe that his music creates. No-one would suggest that the name determines the music - it's the other way round, the name is an expression of the music.

It's the same with "future garage" obviously - none of these dudes are gonna market themselves as the new Bump'n'Flex b/c musically they don't fit that lineage, it's more a Wookie/El-B/Horsepower Productions lineage.

UFO over easy
07-02-2010, 10:24 PM
Dan I'd disagree with you on Jam City in this specific sense: it's pretty obvious that he's going for a "deep"/"serious" vibe musically, it's not like if you heard him sans FACT interview you would assume that he was essentially interchangeable with Sticky, say (in either his garage or his funky incarnations).

If Jam City actually was called CityJamz and talked "road" it would be a massive case of mis-marketing - b/c his music wouldn't work in that context, he wouldn't suddenly find his tracks turned into skanks on youtube, whereas the people open to the idea of a deep/serious version of quasi-funky wouldn't be nearly as compelled to check him out.

i dunno, this sounds very logical but there's a lot that's so weird and unpredictable. even in retrospect Don't Panic isn't an obvious backing for a big skank tune, but aside from HSKT that was the biggest one yet right? and that's cool, i think

baboon2004
07-02-2010, 10:34 PM
I know that the way society is structured lends some credence to grouping people, but there are a lot of false dichotomies flying around on these threads, no? Someone can be a bit posh and a bit road, or a bit neither/inbetween....someone can like chart 2-step but choose not to make it etc etc...

edit: same point as with the 'unpredictability' in x-post, come to think of it

edit 2: didn't we havethe label 'future garage' before, in 2002?

mos dan
07-02-2010, 10:42 PM
i dunno, this sounds very logical but there's a lot that's so weird and unpredictable.

indeed. i'm getting increasingly bored with the generalisations on dissensus - not because they're generalisations per se, but because they're generalisations that don't really make any sense, and are grounded in very weird prejudices or blind guesswork.

tim that's not directed at you - sure, i take your point about the name being an expression of the music.. it wasn't a detached, value-less observation though, there was an implicit judgement in the joy orbison/jam city post, about class, intelligence, and musical background

edit: yes, what baboon said

Sick Boy
07-02-2010, 10:44 PM
I've met Whistla before, and he seemed like a lovely bloke, but this whole "future garage" thing is the biggest load of wank. The difference between UK Funky and "future garage" is as follows: UK Funky has the spirit of old UKG, but not so much the sound, and is a natural sort of progression from a dissatisfaction with grime that was remedied by house DJs in Ayia Napa. Future garage does not contain a lick of the spirit of UKG, sounds like a contrived, effete, too-little-too-late version of it, and was born out of some calculated and totally unconvincing manifesto made by the owner of an independent label.

Right? Or no?

bun-u
07-02-2010, 10:58 PM
i'm glad that was just meant to be cheeky, because i was about to call you on a comment i felt was quite profoundly and uncharacteristically reactionary.

who are these posh boys pushing garage? oneman? do you want to tell him he's posh or shall i? do you also want to tell him he wasn't into garage the first time round? who else are these straw djs or producers making garage? deadboy? whistla? what do you know about their backgrounds?

sorry i'm not annoyed with you, but i worry this is an echo of the same patronising middle-class armchair-marxist bullshit in reynolds' post about how jam city wasn't viable cos he was too articulate, too musically literate - as bok bok said in response "whereas if he called himself cityjamz and talked road, he'd be fine"

it makes me pretty angry, to be honest - not cos of what it says about joy orb or jam city or anyone making what is actually mostly house, not garage.. but because it reeks of noxious, patronising paternalism to everyone else.

I dunno Dan, these argument reeks a little bit like those saying that 'it doesn't matter that cameron, boris et al were at eton/part of the bullingdon club, they're just people like you and me blah blah'. The point is that a fairly significant socio-demographic change of the people involved in this scene has affected the dynamic/motivations /and therefore how it sounds... I can't account (and I'm not interesting in accounting) for individual backgrounds other than to say that I think there has there has been a fairly significant change, and I think this is worth commenting on in relation to the music.

Tim F
08-02-2010, 12:21 AM
I simply don't know the class background of producers so I don't make assumptions about it. Terms like "effete" seem a bit too loaded IMO, especially when it comes to instrumental beat heavy dance music. It makes more sense to me to use terms like "serious", "abstract", "deep", high production values etc, because these are the terms I'd imagine producers of (say) "future garage" themselves would use to describe their own work - they can seem like positive or negative values depending on whether and how you structure a heirarchy of musical qualities. Whereas "effete" has negative connotations whichever way you look at it.

I tend to think the class background(s) of audiences are more important than that of producers, to the extent that this kind of thing is important (which I'm not sure of - it's more likely to be indicative rather than determinative IMO).

D&B is a good example of this in that, while the audience for early jungle might have decamped en masse to speed garage, most of the big producers stayed with d&b and adjusted themselves to its new sound and (mostly) new audience. The preoccupations of the audience seems to have had a much greater impact on the stylistic decisions the scene has taken "as a whole".

There tends to be consensus, too, that dubstep changed when its audience changed, though given there was never a dubstep scene in Australia prior to its embrace by a kind of uni student crowd from either d&b or minimal backgrounds, I'm basing that only on what I read about the UK.

"Don't Panic" is a great example of accidental crossover - can't imagine DJ Gregory ever guessed it would form the basis of an R&B tune (Donae'o's "Love To Happen"), let alone a skank rap. And the unpredictability of funky in the way it performs such transformations so often and so successfully is definitely one of its most loveable qualities.

But, by the same token, you don't see DJ Gregory himself pretending he's from the ends (which would be even odder than if, say, Whistla did). In fact the success of "Don't Panic" within UK Funky is almost premised on erasing what "we" know about the producer's background or its original context (how many people who love "Migraine Skank" are necessarily even aware of DJ Gregory's existence? Same story with Suges' "We Belong To The Night"), allowing it to become free-floating musical data to be seized upon and redeployed.

Ultimately I think (and people in a better position to say please jump in here and correct me) that most producers want to establish a line of communication with their audience, to feel that what they are trying to convey with their music is what is being picked up on by their audience. I don't think many producers actually feel that comfortable with the idea that their music was being enjoyed by people in an entirely new context and with the credit going to someone else - however much this idea might appeal in the abstract from a DJ or music critic perspective.

I mean, it's nice to imagine a situation where a Jam City track or a Whistla track might become a crossover hit in a similar fashion to "Don't Panic", but almost by definition, it would occur at the expense of the kind of artist-centric narrative that both seem to want to push - a scene like UK Funky is pretty callous w/r/t paying producers their dues.

luka
08-02-2010, 01:07 AM
im going to stay out of this for the time being....broadly speaking slackk expressed my main problem with this music, but i do think there are other issues involved and i thiink this is a discussion that is worth having. just needs far more tact and delicacy than i am used to displaying. i think tim is right in saying that the background of the audience is more important than the background of the artists though. its a sensible point.

luka
08-02-2010, 01:21 AM
i thinkk its fair to point out that a lot of the funky i like is trying to be 'deep' too. i must be getting old.

Sick Boy
08-02-2010, 01:59 AM
I have to admit I'm getting a little bit confused about what the term "deep" even means. Is Terror Danjah "deep" in relation to, say, Jon E Cash? It seems when people say "deep", they usually just mean different to whatever is normally expected within a style of music, perhaps occasionally with a bit of emphasis on the experimentation involved. The result is always either going to be good music or shit music, but I don't see how it will be that simply by virtue of being different.

If there are only two forces that take a good idea and make it shit it's purism and reactionary attempts to make everything more refined. People who wish to "protect" funky from imaginative re-interpretations fit into the former category, people espousing "future garage" in spite of funky into the latter.

I don't really see artists like Pearson Sound, Bok Bok, Cooly G, etc. fitting into either of these categories.

Tim F
08-02-2010, 03:04 AM
I have to admit I'm getting a little bit confused about what the term "deep" even means. Is Terror Danjah "deep" in relation to, say, Jon E Cash? It seems when people say "deep", they usually just mean different to whatever is normally expected within a style of music, perhaps occasionally with a bit of emphasis on the experimentation involved. The result is always either going to be good music or shit music, but I don't see how it will be that simply by virtue of being different

If there are only two forces that take a good idea and make it shit it's purism and reactionary attempts to make everything more refined. People who wish to "protect" funky from imaginative re-interpretations fit into the former category, people espousing "future garage" in spite of funky into the latter.

I don't really see artists like Pearson Sound, Bok Bok, Cooly G, etc. fitting into either of these categories.

No I don't think Terra Danjah counts as "deep" really. Basically "deep" almost always means heightening the resemblance to one of the following:

- deep house
- detroit techno
- basic channel

So if you wanted to make "deep" 2-step the archetypal reference points are Horsepower Productions and stuff like Zed Bias' remix of 2 Banks of Four's "Hook & A Line".

Also Sick Boy I'm all for funky's wide-ranging stylistic diversity, and like Pearson Sound and Cooly G productions in particular a lot.

I'm not quite sure what an actually "purist" stance on funky would be... Circle I guess? It strikes me as pretty difficult to square liking Lil' Silva and Fuzzy Logick and Funkystepz and Crazy Cousinz with any kind of purism.

bassbeyondreason
08-02-2010, 07:34 AM
Couple of points:

Tastefulness/Deepness/Whatever: You actually listened to much of Whistla's stuff? A lot of it is full of these near-cartoonish vocal cut-ups, I guess plugging back into the old rave lineage. Yes there's a lot of FG stuff that's going for classically "deep" signifiers, but there are people like KingThing/Gremino/me who are clearly trying to make raw, ravey dance music. Of course it runs the risk of falling into blog-house pastiche but I think it's a tightrope worth walking.

Class/Race: I wasn't around at the time, but on the production end, wasn't 2-step a pretty heavily mixed scene? Not so much class-like I guess, but I refuse to accept that I'm any less road than Steve Gurley. Like has been said, the audience demographics may be far more important, but I'm not sure that's something that can be laid at the feet of producers/DJs/etc.

I think there are definitely problems with parts of the "Future" "Garage" "Movement", particularly with the parts that just sound like a straight revival of Horsepower or whatever, but I think there's definitely potential coming through.

alex
08-02-2010, 09:51 AM
Thank’s for the sweeping generalisation on the 1st page. SMH

Anyone my age who I know, loves old garage, know’s all the tune’s and didn’t hate it 1st time round. It was there 1st music entrapment to the ‘nuum’ (smh) apart from the one’s who were lucky enough to have an jungle tape passed to them by their older brother. If they are a bit older than me, they basically know all the fucking names to the garage records of that period or even own them. I think the ‘white boy’ thing may apply more to people outside of London, although even that is a bit thin, brackles etc.. has a ridiculous garage selection.

Who in particular would you say fit’s that trait?

Gumdrop’s your original post is completely full of shit imo, DSF is retardville ffs.

Whistla has got a room of 12” full to the brim of UKG, and I mean this guy has got ‘R&B’ vocal 12’s that have never been played, Im certain he would take the piss out of anyone’s garage collection on here.

I can’t speak for these white boy type’s who hated it 1st time round, simply because I don’t know any.

btw im not a posh white boy, more an uneducated white scumbag.

alex
08-02-2010, 10:03 AM
<object height="136" width="100%"> <param name="movie" value="http://player.soundcloud.com/player.swf?url=http%3A%2F%2Fsoundcloud.com%2Falex-deamonds%2Fsets%2Fcrackly-garage-vol-1"></param> <param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param> <embed allowscriptaccess="always" height="136" src="http://player.soundcloud.com/player.swf?url=http%3A%2F%2Fsoundcloud.com%2Falex-deamonds%2Fsets%2Fcrackly-garage-vol-1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="100%"></embed> </object> <span><a href="http://soundcloud.com/alex-deamonds/sets/crackly-garage-vol-1">Crackly Garage Vol. 1</a> by <a href="http://soundcloud.com/alex-deamonds">Alex Deamonds</a></span>

gumdrops
08-02-2010, 01:22 PM
i sometimes wonder if it's possible for a discussions of a dance genre to exist without these weird rather cynical and spiteful accusations of authenticity based around race and class to exist, as if thats consistent with anyone's actual experience of dancing to music. As if you know that they're posh, and if you could credibly make these characterisations, if you'd not seen their faces.

i'm wondering why in your first post you seemed to be saying people who are trying to recreate garage didn't like garage, are doing it for the money, ( as if!) that people will find it superior essentially cos they're white etc, that seems far fetched and horribly cynical. Also the other stuff where you do a daft job of trying to make out whistla etc are eric clapton well http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3PMV...eature=related
Last edited by mms; Yesterday at 08:50 PM.

I don’t see whats spiteful about it. I prob shouldn’t have put ‘posh boys’ in my post, as that makes it all seem a bit specious, but i was just continuing from what bun u said.

And im not saying its for the money, merely that there *are* more potential avenues for more gigs, coverage, etc, whatever if youre seen as more than just ‘street’ music (even if those avenues might just be a feature on fact or wherever). i mean, at RAs event for redbull music academy, theyve got untold and that lot on the bill (of course this might be more to do with untold and zombie or whoever having much closer ties to trad techno/house and those values than anything else but hey). Youre not exactly going to see Marcus nasty down there are you? Obv nights like night slugs have all sorts of people djing down there, but thats still quite a diff audience to what you would have got at rhumba or wherever (and the whole diplo-y stuff that i cant help thinking of when that lot were called faggatronix – i mean, really - doesnt really endear me).

You seem to be saying all that matters is if someone gets someone dancing. In which case we shouldn’t bother discussing any of this, we should all just shut up quietly, and just play youtube vids of people dancing to tunes to disprove a point.

Im not saying whistla or any of these guys are eric Clapton, and well theres nothing actually WRONG with being Clapton (i dont care so much about where someones from as what they sound like/do/say etc, if i did, i wouldnt like any number of suburban rappers), or page, or Townshend or anyone really, or closer to this issue, being squarepusher or afx and doing drill n bass even, but there is obv a similar relationship there, even if some things have obv changed. Not sure how thats so controversial, or even necessarily a negative. Tim fs points seem the most reasonable here, going purely on the sonic details that these new guys are going for, rather than any social criteria, even if that is somewhat placing this stuff in a vacuum – which if you actually live in London is hard to do (not a diss to tim f, just fyi), well unless you prefer to ignore that race or class play no part in modern music/club culture. which would be nice, but thats just not my experience.

And for the record, oneman is prob my favourite dj at the moment. And i even like some of whistla’s stuff too. I don’t know his history to comment on how deep his ukg knowledge is but im sure it IS impressive. Im sure jam city knows his shit too (not that that even matters really, its not like you need to do an academic test on each genre or nuumology before you get to make a record). But to bat it all away with ‘oh its all just dance music, it doesnt matter’ seems too easy and a bit deluded/smug.

baboon2004
08-02-2010, 01:46 PM
The thing that's wrong with Clapton is that he's shit.

"well unless you prefer to ignore that race or class play no part in modern music/club culture. which would be nice, but thats just not my experience"
- that's very true, but I think (to make a general point, and not specific to your post) a broader discussion of this would be more valuable, as in discussing the particulars of UK funky/dubstep/whatdoucallit, we're engaging with genres that a lot of people here have lots of investment with, whether emotional or otherwise, and inevitably responses become filtered through this investment. Plus people who feel strongly enough about the music to actually make it, usually have very complex affiliations with music in general/lots of differering influences.

More broadly:
I've been to very few truly heterogeneous club nights in London - I find the city, for all its protestations of being integrated, to be very rigid in terms of social groupings (the number of white people I know who 'hate' RnB or reggae with little/no knowledge of it is a constant annoyance). But that's a phenomenon that goes way, way beyond music.

Tentative Andy
08-02-2010, 02:06 PM
I quite like the idea of rolling back to the future. How would one go about doing such a thing?

Blackdown
08-02-2010, 02:28 PM
i think the name "future garage" is a misnomer here. we should think about it like Jon E Cash 'sublow,' as a personalised sub section of what would become grime, tied to one man's vision. except i think the Black Ops sound was pretty defined, whereas i dont think Whistla even has a sound yet, just an intent to find one.

personally i think there are several areas of connected exciting developments, none of which are comprehensive...

- uk funky (obv) in all its glory and diversity, from skank to trad
- the night slugs crew - which having been to night slugs now seems to have far more to do with juke/bmore & grime than anyone house-influenced sound
- whistla's L2S & "future garage" crew
- labels like blunted robots, numbers etc, djs like brackles, oneman, shortstuff, erm me n dusk, producers like slackk
- 2step from people like sully n co
- zinc's crack house direction
- people inspired by berlin like Scuba or Kowton

there's probably more, but my point is they're not definable by any one tag right now, and nor would i want them to be. they're all just mutating and interacting with each other...

tyranny
08-02-2010, 02:39 PM
I didn't class him as anything mayne! Anyway what would you call that I Need Love tune if you wanted to genrify it?

Had to do several double-takes there, I originally read your post as :

Anyway what would you call that I Need Love tune if you wanted to gentrify it?

Blackdown
08-02-2010, 02:45 PM
I simply don't know the class background of producers so I don't make assumptions about it.

I'm sorry tim but i dont see how this tally's with the long (and welcome) campaigning you've been doing to see more media coverage of uk funky producers over 'Fact mag DJs/producers.' either you dont make assumptions and they're all one thing, or you can distinguish the difference and you have a case as to why the half you feel are being left out...

Tim F
08-02-2010, 07:40 PM
I don't want to turn this thread into yet another referendum on "what I think", but:

Martin, as I said in the UK thread, the distinction is musical, not class-based. As far as I know, the dudes behind Funkystepz went to Eton (they probably didn't obv, but I can't say for sure...).

What distinguishes "FACT artists" from Funky artists is that almost* none of them, based on their music and their own self-description, sound like "funky" per se.

It's more, as you say yourself, funky meets b-more and other stuff (Night Slugs), funky meets dubstep (Martin Kemp, Brackles), and so on. None of these easily fit into another genre tag either - their defining feature is their liminality, their sense of being between genres (between "genre" even).

It a) amazes me that anyone would seek to deny this when the artists themselves would distinguish their music from "funky per se"; and b) surprises me that some people get so defensive about me noting this, as if there was something wrong with an artist being called "funky meets dubstep" etc. - as if any acknowledgment of an artist drawing from more than one genre was tantamount to calling them a childkiller.

* The exceptions being, of course , the actual funky artists - Cooly G, Roska, Scratcha DVA, Geeneus. Though even these get cast in a slightly different light, viz. "funkstep". That's not always, or not always totally, their choice, of course. "Funkstep" as a notion (and it would exist, albeit more tenuously perhaps, even if the name hadn't been invented) goes back to what I was saying about the class of the audience being more important than the class of the producer, although I guess rather than "the class of the audience" I should say "the preoccupations of the audience" - "funkstep" provides a frame by which people can engage with a tune like "Narst" in a way different to seeing it as a "funky" tune. For quite a few friends of mine, the convenience of the idea of "funkstep" - of the entire approach I'm talking about, is that it leads them straight to the kind of funky artists who they conceivably can like using their pre-existing critical frameworks (most come from a dubstep and minimal background), while bypassing the kind of funky they know they're unlikely to enjoy.

What irritates me I guess is the (almost contradictory) action by which the public discussion of funky tends to gloss over artists who don't have this "funky meets x other thing" angle AND/OR when it does talk about funky restricts itself to those artists on whose work such an angle can be imposed. And it wouldn't irritate me if funky-as-funky had its own sustainable critical culture.

It's the dominance of that mode of thinking - the sense that funky can be validated ONLY by reference to its permeation with other genres - not the music, not the artist, and certainly not the artist's class, that bothers me.

It's a mode of thinking that I think goes back to the old Hyperdub days. I loved Hyperdub as a website back in 2000, but it occurred to me subsequently that the level of excitement over, say, No-U-Turn starting a sub-label Turn-U-On for garage (which ended up going nowhere, funnily enough, and a bit sadly) was a lot about the sense that garage was belatedly being awarded a gold star by drum & bass - here was tangible and irrefutable evidence that the "continuum" existed! The heroes of 2 years ago formally anointing the heroes of today! I think something about seeing that process made explicit can be quite exciting, and seductive too, the way it turns theoretical ideas about the impure dissemination of sonic ideas into something tangible (plus the switch from "No U Turn" to "Turn U On" is so fucking neat, it really was brilliant on a conceptual level).

Nothing wrong with any of that - except insofar as it's now become THE critical framework for all of this stuff such that liminal artists become the centre point and artists who don't appear to transcend genre are overlooked, and a good deal of the critical treatment of funky is confined to references to how its influence has invigorated the post-dubstep scene.

But none of that really has a great deal to do with class - except to the extent that possibly middle-class audiences by and large like stories of eclectic iconoclastic individuals unconstrained by genre convention, because they remind them of themselves, or what they'd like to be, etc.

mrfaucet
08-02-2010, 08:12 PM
- the night slugs crew - which having been to night slugs now seems to have far more to do with juke/bmore & grime than anyone house-influenced sound

Was this Friday night at Egg? I think there was a lot less UK funky that night than there normally is and it was worse for it.

Would also add that Tim's post seems perfectly reasonable to me. It's not about 'real' Uk funky Vs. 'wot do u call it' - covering one doesn't have to entail the ignoring of the other, yet the 'wot do u call it' side has probably received more coverage. As has been said, that's not necessarily entirely the fault of the journalists because the 'wot do u call it' are a lot more forthcoming with mixes, interviews, etc. and I still want to see that side covered as I like a lot of the music that comes out of it, but I'm probably more interested in the stuff that Luka is uncovering from Myspace as I would be completely ignorant of it if he wasn't - the same goes for Tim's blog posts and Tentative Andy's post - whereas I think I'd be more likely to find out about the 'wot do u call it' producers as they are more visible since they are releasing vinyl and mixes fairly regularly.

baboon2004
08-02-2010, 08:43 PM
It a) amazes me that anyone would seek to deny this when the artists themselves would distinguish their music from "funky per se"; and b) surprises me that some people get so defensive about me noting this, as if there was something wrong with an artist being called "funky meets dubstep" etc. - as if any acknowledgment of an artist drawing from more than one genre was tantamount to calling them a childkiller.

People who mix genres do kill more children. It's scientific fact.

baboon2004
08-02-2010, 08:46 PM
The heroes of 2 years ago formally anointing the heroes of today!

But I would've thought that the popular imagination (especially, perhaps the younger popular imagination, kids who are bored of older people harping on about how sepcial thigns were back then) is equally attracted to those who deny any link with the past, that what they're doing is unique and hasn't been done before.Reverence for history and irreverence for history both provide a seductive angle.

Tim F
08-02-2010, 09:10 PM
But I would've thought that the popular imagination (especially, perhaps the younger popular imagination, kids who are bored of older people harping on about how sepcial thigns were back then) is equally attracted to those who deny any link with the past, that what they're doing is unique and hasn't been done before.Reverence for history and irreverence for history both provide a seductive angle.

Yes, absolutely, and I think this is definitely a point worth emphasising given the usual desire of younger listeners to claim that "now is the best time to be alive" - except that I'm not sure that, post-jungle, this has ever been the case with this cluster of genres (with the possible exception of grime?). It's difficult to think of sub-styles of music more openly and unashamedly enthusiastic about asserting their relationship to prior genres than 2-step and uk funky.

I sort of feel like uk funky possibly is my favourite music ever (or tied with 2-step at any rate) - but as much because of its sense of commonality with what has gone before as with its point of departure.

Possibly one stumbling block w/r/t uk funky gaining critical purchase is that enthusiasm for it doesn't really fit any over-generalising stance on music per se (i.e. a privileging of futurism, populism, elitism, pro-soulfulness, musicality, tuffness etc. etc. On any of these criteria, funky tends to come up short somehow).

But I should stop talking about uk funky on the future garage/intellistep thread!

luka
08-02-2010, 11:23 PM
i dont think we should be slandering slackk...i think his intention is to make straight funkyfunky for what its worth....

Blackdown
09-02-2010, 12:03 AM
I don't want to turn this thread into yet another referendum on "what I think", but:

Martin, as I said in the UK thread, the distinction is musical, not class-based. As far as I know, the dudes behind Funkystepz went to Eton (they probably didn't obv, but I can't say for sure...).

What distinguishes "FACT artists" from Funky artists is that almost* none of them, based on their music and their own self-description, sound like "funky" per se.

It's more, as you say yourself, funky meets b-more and other stuff (Night Slugs), funky meets dubstep (Martin Kemp, Brackles), and so on. None of these easily fit into another genre tag either - their defining feature is their liminality, their sense of being between genres (between "genre" even).

i still don't accept this 'musical only judgments' claim. OK imagine scenario where...

a) a uk funky producer uses a dubbed out sound in his track. you'd say 'oh, look at the diversity and breadth of the uk funky sound.' [genre expans from within]

Then imagine b) when someone like (say) martin kemp or brackles uses the same dubbed out sound. you'd say it's 'funky meets dubstep (Martin Kemp, Brackles)' [two genres meet]

Given this is the same sound being used, the only way you can and would draw these boundaries is on cultural means. now i'm not against that, in fact i think it's crucial for how we understand the forces that drive scenes, but i think you cant pretend you're not using them.

Ory
09-02-2010, 02:09 AM
a lot of this stuff is just so dull. especially the post-burial/berlin type sound. gray and miserable. then there's the whistla end of it which is nicer, but still feels cluttered and a bit aimless.

what's the point, really? i'll take chris mack/jeremy sylvester/dem2 over this any day..

Blackdown
09-02-2010, 06:37 AM
what's the point, really? i'll take chris mack/jeremy sylvester/dem2 over this any day..

because, in 2010 i want DJ, make and dance to something that isnt "wowowowRAHRAHRAHGRRRRR!" aka brostepwobble.

Benny B
09-02-2010, 06:40 AM
Yeah, listened to that new Fabric Elevator music cd last night and its just too polite overall. There's nothing that really stays in the memory afterwards. Whereas in Funky there's loads of tunes that lodge in my head and refuse to budge, and I'm not just talking about the really poppy stuff either. Surely that alone stands for something right?

I liked quite a few of the future garagey tracks when this stuff was first coming through (and still enjoy the odd thing I hear now and then) but I can't think of a type of music I've tired of so quickly. But Funky just continues to grow on me the more I hear it.

Blackdown
09-02-2010, 08:55 AM
i see it an 'and' rather than 'or' thing with these two styles. mixing them together makes for an interesting set.

paolo
09-02-2010, 08:57 AM
I just got the new TRG EP

He's from Bucharest and he makes UK Funky/garage/house

How 2010 is that?

alex
09-02-2010, 09:34 AM
<object height="136" width="100%"> <param name="movie" value="http://player.soundcloud.com/player.swf?url=http%3A%2F%2Fsoundcloud.com%2Falex-deamonds%2Fsets%2Fits-all-about-1-promo-mix-1"></param> <param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param> <embed allowscriptaccess="always" height="136" src="http://player.soundcloud.com/player.swf?url=http%3A%2F%2Fsoundcloud.com%2Falex-deamonds%2Fsets%2Fits-all-about-1-promo-mix-1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="100%"></embed> </object> <span><a href="http://soundcloud.com/alex-deamonds/sets/its-all-about-1-promo-mix-1">It's All About #1 Promo Mix</a> by <a href="http://soundcloud.com/alex-deamonds">Alex Deamonds</a></span>

Just did a promo mix for our 1st night

1. Shakedown - At Night - Martin Buttrich Dub Mix
2. Andrea Oliva - 9 Seconds With Jazz
3. Chris Lattner - Sick
4. Tini - That's Right
5. Thodoris Triantafillou & CJ Jeff - Got To Be
6. Deep Teknologi - In The Deep
7. Tim Green - Lone Time
8. Palmez - Black B - David Jones Remix
9. Marlon D - Trust The Drum
10. Kris Wadsworth - Direct
11. Dj T - Try To Understand
12. Chocolate Puma Beats - Soul Mokassa
13. L-Vis 1990 - United Groove - Kingdom Remix
14. Jam City - What I Think About You
15. Scratcha DVA - Natty
16. Johnny D - Point Of No Return

Tim F
09-02-2010, 04:09 PM
Given this is the same sound being used, the only way you can and would draw these boundaries is on cultural means. now i'm not against that, in fact i think it's crucial for how we understand the forces that drive scenes, but i think you cant pretend you're not using them.

Martin on one level this is absolutely correct - as I said earlier, we tend to apply "frames" to music that "hears" what the music is doing on a strictly sonic level in different ways depending on our assumptions about the artist and their intentions.

BUT my experience is that almost all of the stuff that would fit this thread - with the exception of "Wad" and the Bok Bok/L-Vis 1990 remix of "Bongo Jam" - really does sound quite distinct from funky. Your hypothesis remains correct, but in my experience it's simply not correct to say that by and large "the same sounds" are being used such that the only boundaries are cultural - with the odd track-by-track exception.

Certainly my perceptions are heavily coloured by the fact that funky DJs also actually play "Wad" and the "Bongo Jam" remix. But I've never heard a Martin Kemp or Brackles track (even when played by say Roska or Cooly G) and just assumed that it was a funky track only to change my mind when I found out who it was by (nb. I've really liked tracks I've heard from both, so this isn't a quality issue). Whereas "Wad" I totally thought of, and still think of, as a funky tune. Hypothetically, both producers could drift even closer to funky on a sonic level, such that their music became indistinguishable from that of funky producers, while still operating outside the scene in the sense of not being picked up on by funky DJs. And if that was to occur, your point would be spot on. But as a question of fact I don't think this has occurred (then again maybe I've not heard the Brackles/Kemp tracks you have...).

I guess the sonic question "is this funky" and the social question "is this funky" really do converge at the point of referring to what funky DJs play. UK Funky is certainly a particularly malleable genre, but that doesn't mean that its sonic borders are arbitrary - if the scene as a whole goes in a particular direction (towards Brackles, say), well, that's what it does, and the sonic definition changes accordingly. But if you convinced Marcus to start playing X producer that doesn't make that producer funky-by-acclamation. There's an intuitive interrelatedness to the music played that makes certain tunes candidates for repatriation within its borders at any given point in time, though what is necessary for such candidature changes over time as well.

And this applies to outsiders in every direction. "Badman Riddim" is honorary funky but a lot of Vato Gonzales tunes aren't and couldn't be. "Klambu" is but "Riverside" isn't and couldn't be (similarities notwithstanding) . Dennis Ferrer's "Hey Hey" is but his "Sinfonia Della Notta" (think this is how it's spelt) isn't and couldn't be. That might all change tomorrow (and certainly "Badman Riddim" and "Klambu" wouldn't have been candidates three years ago) - there's nothing fixed or determined about funky's sonic or social borders. But right now I can make a contingent and provisional judgment on the former as much as you can the latter.

wise
09-02-2010, 05:26 PM
I just got the new TRG EP

He's from Bucharest and he makes UK Funky/garage/house

How 2010 is that?

That TRG ep sounds a lot Zinc's Crack House stuff to me

benjybars
09-02-2010, 06:51 PM
That TRG ep sounds a lot Zinc's Crack House stuff to me

yeah kind of agree.. both very underwhelming.

Tentative Andy
09-02-2010, 07:15 PM
Fabric actually calling the CD Elevator Music is either a really clever move or a really silly one, haven't decided yet...
Does the TRG ep have Siberian Poker on it? Was really feeling that one when I heard it on Blackdown's show a while back. Would be interested to try mixing it in a funky set and see if it works.
Also, does anyone want to explain to me what 'crack house' is about? (Or is just one of those in-joke names?)

paolo
10-02-2010, 07:59 AM
It does have Siberian Poker, that ones at 140bpm though as far as I recall.

I'm not sure about crack house either, does anyone make it apart from Zinc?

baboon2004
10-02-2010, 09:20 AM
we've had heroin house last decade, so i guess we're just waitinig on meth house?

shiels
10-02-2010, 10:23 AM
Crack house just seems to be Zinc's take on that wacky-midrange fidget sound (Crookers, Fake Blood, Sinden, Switch etc) good party music but diminishing returns.. his own productions have a bit more garage swing than most in that scene, aggy midrange with soca/funky percussion, rave stabs, piano house breakdowns etc.. DnB producer Clipz is doing similar stuff under the name Redlight. I remember Jackmaster dropping this at Numbers on NYE and it went aff (well i think it did... i did) but after 3 more listens i'm bored
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/z-FV8kZ3VxE&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/z-FV8kZ3VxE&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

p.s Wile Out is brilliant

mos dan
10-02-2010, 10:51 AM
jackmaster says it's all about uk hunky now.. :) intrigued to find out what this means. hold tight the weegies winning the genre-naming war AGAIN (cf w*nky vs aquacrunk)

i'm tryna get some traction for nosebleed house.. i'll explain that another time

massrock
10-02-2010, 11:32 AM
Surely if it's all posh boys it should be something Two-Car Garage?

woops
10-02-2010, 12:29 PM
it went off (well i think it did... i did)

more of this kind of honesty on music threads plx

shiels
10-02-2010, 01:24 PM
more of this kind of honesty on music threads plx

It's just that i can't really remember mate, i was on 4 eckies.

wise
10-02-2010, 08:44 PM
Crack house just seems to be Zinc's take on that wacky-midrange fidget sound (Crookers, Fake Blood, Sinden, Switch etc) good party music but diminishing returns..

This sums it up far better than I could be bothered too

zhao
11-02-2010, 01:23 PM
i like sully. should i comb this thread to find more like him?

Blackdown
11-02-2010, 01:55 PM
there's less actual 2step on this thread than 4x4 house, sadly. i'd recommend Kowton "Stasis (gmix)" and Grievous Angel "Soundclash VIP" but then i am completely and utterly biased about those... ;)

gragy10
11-02-2010, 03:30 PM
GA's 2step stuff is always pretty great. Fairly baffled What We Had never went past dub

hucks
11-02-2010, 08:41 PM
Crack house just seems to be Zinc's take on that wacky-midrange fidget sound .....

p.s Wile Out is brilliant

Is Wile Out an exception to the crack house rule or not crack house? Because it is fucking excellent...

Benny B
11-02-2010, 09:16 PM
Wile out is definitely the best track Zinc's put out recently, didn't think much of the crack house ep. 128 trek was so pointless, literally all he seems to have done is slow the tempo down.

jimitheexploder
11-02-2010, 10:58 PM
This sound really does it for me.

Brakles & Shortstuff going back to back at the Sonic Router party last weekend was a real treat. Hyetal even came out to replace an injured Jack Sparrow at the last minuet. Then to throw a massive curve ball Gemmy played loads of UK Funky, that might have been the result of technical dificulties though haha.

How about throwing FaltyDL and Pariah into the mix? They have something else going on, the garage shuffle is there but they also have this dense, soulful almost hip-hop thing going on. Its slow and ghostly not unlike Burial and Flying Lotus I guess.

I like the ecclectic nature of the music and DJs in this thread too, I mean I love hearing stright up grime sets and stright up dubstep and funky sets but when a good DJ brings that all together you can get some really interesting stuff going. They have to be good though or it turns into a mashup rather than a DJ set and it starts falling apart. You can get DJs like Oneman, Brakles, Shorstuff, Ben UFO, Ramadanman, Braiden playing sets that span 120 maybe slower... thru to d'n'b via the 140 stuff and making it sound good, I've got to celibrate that as its kind of rare in dance music.

jimitheexploder
11-02-2010, 11:22 PM
Oh yeah.

James Blake...

Whats that all about!?!

routes
11-02-2010, 11:46 PM
i still listen to that air and a lack thereof tune on the regular. love it.

benjybars
12-02-2010, 12:27 AM
james blakes remix of lil wayne is fuckin immense

Corpsey
12-02-2010, 12:36 AM
i like sully. should i comb this thread to find more like him?

Interesting thing about Sully is that he is the only one of these nu-garage producers I've heard who really nails his drums - they're swingy but solid. The thing is, they sound great but essentially also sound like 'old' 2-step beats. So I'm not sure how much 'future' is in there - but who cares? He's a great producer.

I wonder if the tempo that some of these producers are writing at effects how good the 2step beats sound? Presumably some of it is close to dubstep speeds...

I almost think the 'future garage' thing is harmful to a lot of these producers since you inevitably are drawn to compare it with the original 2step/garage - and you find a lot of things missing. It's like when luka was talking about burial in the other thread - I can see where he's coming from and I even agree with what he said somewhat, but I also think it's a case of trying to find something in burial which isn't there, though it is is in his influences i.e. joy, happiness, fun party music.

jimitheexploder
12-02-2010, 01:28 AM
Sully really does nail his drums.

Bigging up the Keysound crew like, but Kowton nailed it too on his 12".

And they both did it at slower tempos, which I guess leaves a nice bit of space to get a groove going that has that ballance between unpradictable funk and propulsive drive.

Its a tough ballancing act no doubt.

EDIT!

Saying that 'Jackmans Rec' by Sully on Frijso Beats has a pretty swung garage beat and that pretty damn close to 140 and the flip isn't far off either. Sully's just a badman haha...

Tim F
12-02-2010, 02:06 AM
Interesting thing about Sully is that he is the only one of these nu-garage producers I've heard who really nails his drums - they're swingy but solid. The thing is, they sound great but essentially also sound like 'old' 2-step beats. So I'm not sure how much 'future' is in there - but who cares? He's a great producer.

Yeah I think what is quite noticeable about Sully is precisely that solidity that you mention - the drums really bang. I think a lot of this stuff really is post-Burial to the extent that the 2-steppy beats are deliberately light, flimsy even, presumably so as to maximise the music's delicate, atmospheric qualities (perhaps in reaction to the bam-bam-bosh-bosh of so much dubstep). Which is not what 2-step back in the day actually was like by and large (with some exceptions).

FairiesWearBoots
12-02-2010, 07:19 AM
Yes! thats totally my experience with some of this newer stuff, I like it it but I am looking for an updated 2-step sound
(like many, for me, it was primarily those fresh 2-step beats I was into)
and SOME of the new producers dont seem to focus on the drums

I want that solid 2-step beat because it makes me want to dance,but if I listen to some of these newer tracks in a mix, the beat is sometimes SO scattered that it gets lost in the synths & melodies and then the groove is gone

Not sure if that makes sense? I want El-B drums (but not always with his dark vibes, I want light & dark)??

paolo
12-02-2010, 08:15 AM
Sully's 'Track Side/ Duk St Dub' was one of the most underrated dubstep singles of the last year in my opinion, surprised it didn't get more attention

Blackdown
12-02-2010, 09:46 AM
I wonder if the tempo that some of these producers are writing at effects how good the 2step beats sound? Presumably some of it is close to dubstep speeds...

tempo is crucial.

the slower you are the more room there is to 'swing' your hats, ie find space to shuffle them off the grid and between the 16ths. At 140bpm it is possible but much harder to make it noticeable. sully works at 130-135 and Kowton well below 130, often as low as 120 (where you kinda need a 4x4 to get any kind of propulsion, rather than 2step). more info on swing and skip here (http://blackdownsoundboy.blogspot.com/2010/01/offbeat-eighths-and-all-that-jazz.html).

crofton
12-02-2010, 10:04 AM
very interesting piece!

gragy10
12-02-2010, 10:17 AM
Brakles & Shortstuff going back to back at the Sonic Router party last weekend was a real treat. Hyetal even came out to replace an injured Jack Sparrow at the last minuet. Then to throw a massive curve ball Gemmy played loads of UK Funky, that might have been the result of technical dificulties though haha.

That Funky tune with the Sonic Pinball samples Gemmy played has been stuck in my head since saturday-amazing track

joe.dfx
13-02-2010, 02:46 PM
The thread has me more confused then ever.

I've kind of always thought/felt that the genre classifications were more for Jurnos/NME to hype something for three weeks and move on and that we (the djs/producers/listners) didn't give a shit about if some was genre X or Q or whatever silly title someone came up with. This thread is quite evident that this isn't the case?

And I think it's not too big a leap to say that most of this stuff, if played to people outside our circles, would just be considered house music (or techno) all these classifications do is bring divisive attitudes when in reality we should just be putting them all together and creating what we want, and not by some dividing genre lines, but by what we actually like and enjoy. I thought that was the point?

I really don't care where anyone is from. But that's probably because I'm stuck in the middle of america and I kind of have to have that attitude. If I was from South London, I guess I'd have to claim my ends as some kind of point of reference if nothing more then the historical context.

All I got is Prince, Bob Dylan, and RSE. and i dont like any of that shit ; )

Sully's 'Track Side/ Duk St Dub' was one of the most underrated dubstep singles of the last year in my opinion, surprised it didn't get more attention

AGREED!

duke st dub is soooooo good! when that vocal fully kicks in with the bassline it's pretty damn near perfect imo.

Tentative Andy
13-02-2010, 04:08 PM
The thread has me more confused then ever.

I've kind of always thought/felt that the genre classifications were more for Jurnos/NME to hype something for three weeks and move on and that we (the djs/producers/listners) didn't give a shit about if some was genre X or Q or whatever silly title someone came up with.

Totally disagree with this, and think that peope need to move past that kind of attitude.
(You yourself sound like you are starting to, from the rest of your post, so that's cool).

Tentative Andy
13-02-2010, 04:09 PM
Sully is great btw.
Not so madly keen on Kowton, but I think I need to listen to his stuff some more.

paolo
13-02-2010, 04:16 PM
Wot don't you call it?

:confused:

continuum
13-02-2010, 04:20 PM
its all bass music innit

hucks
13-02-2010, 04:23 PM
Wot don't you call it?

ha!

gumdrops
21-02-2010, 12:23 PM
1st hessle show on rinse is a good one.
lots of good tracks.
this track at 31mins is great.
excellent programming.

stephenk
21-02-2010, 06:16 PM
1st hessle show on rinse is a good one.
lots of good tracks.
this track at 31mins is great.
excellent programming.

seconded!

michael
22-02-2010, 01:41 AM
^ Are we talking about this mix?

http://www.dissensus.com/showthread.php?10484-Hessle-Audio-show-Rinse-Fm-archives-first-show-up-18-02-10

The whole thing of posting over in Events / Mixes etc. forum when you're self-promoting is getting a bit weird - people seem to get away with posting their own stuff when it's part of a "rolling" Music thread, and stuff posted over in Events, etc. gets lost it seems...

alex
22-02-2010, 02:52 PM
Our 1st event is this week @ Grammaphone, Shoreditch on Thursday.

9pm-2am

Deep Teknologi
Bok Bok
Skipple
Me
Young & Fly

Hosted By Shizzle

5 After 10pm, free b4.

slackk
22-02-2010, 03:17 PM
Shizzle hosting that line-up will be mad tbh.
I do intend to show up from the start and drink myself stupid btw Alex.

gostwan
23-02-2010, 04:29 PM
Allow me to point some of you in the direction of the VVV projects EP, should be out in a few weeks, clips are up at www.myspace.com/fortifiedaudio ;)

alex
24-02-2010, 10:16 AM
Shizzle hosting that line-up will be mad tbh.
I do intend to show up from the start and drink myself stupid btw Alex.

sounds good.

Blackdown
24-02-2010, 10:40 AM
My 130 summary in Pitchfork via my blog (http://blackdownsoundboy.blogspot.com/2010/02/pfork-its-130-ting-right-now.html). Lots of Dissensian's mentioned.

(Oh and Tim, as soon as I find loads of upfront UK funky I'm feeling enough to hype in Pitchfork in full, I will...)

Alfons
24-02-2010, 12:35 PM
good summary, but mostly Im interested in the picture from the blog

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4058/4368510311_a8696a64a8_o.jpg

is there a bigger more legible version of this pic about? :D

Leo
24-02-2010, 01:38 PM
My 130 summary in Pitchfork via my blog (http://blackdownsoundboy.blogspot.com/2010/02/pfork-its-130-ting-right-now.html).

great stuff, as always, thanks. the link to the geeneus podcast doesn't work, do you have another one?

Blackdown
24-02-2010, 02:22 PM
gee, tippa, katie b reup: kerpow (http://www.sendspace.com/file/jf4ft8)!

Leo
24-02-2010, 02:39 PM
gee, tippa, katie b reup: kerpow (http://www.sendspace.com/file/jf4ft8)!

thanks!

alex
24-02-2010, 03:51 PM
i love the way that was wrote on graph paper, was that intentional?

jimitheexploder
24-02-2010, 05:10 PM
I'm kind of addicted to that new Floating Points track Peoples Potential its got those acid house vibes going on.

Blackdown
24-02-2010, 05:10 PM
yeah, i've got one of those Moleskine books for my never ending to-do lists... i think if you grow up writing with a pen it never quite leaves you.

Ory
24-02-2010, 05:16 PM
"His debut release, a SLACKK001 white label, is the Wiley-inspired "Fire Flies"."

any word on when this is dropping?

jimitheexploder
24-02-2010, 05:20 PM
^ I'd like to know about that too, I've really been digging the odd track Slackk has put up for download on here.

wise
25-02-2010, 07:52 AM
I thought Peru/Fire Flies was coming out on Numbers?

paolo
25-02-2010, 08:12 AM
130 is the new 140 :)

Blackdown
25-02-2010, 10:49 AM
130 has been effectively "decoupled (http://blackdownsoundboy.blogspot.com/2009/07/where-do-u-call-it.html)" from 140 ;). the idiots can have their wobble. the rest of us? let's roll...

FairiesWearBoots
25-02-2010, 11:33 AM
I dont even see it as a BPM thing, I think that can get a bit too elitist also,

I like 140 but I am with you all the way on moving away from endless Distance copies

I think its more about the vibes & sounds, the best D&B always had light & dark, it had CONTRAST (some of Groove's epic sets at Blue Note as an example)

The music just needs contrast, and dubstep is now where DnB went (PEAK all night, full revs in 5th gear)

benjybars
25-02-2010, 11:51 AM
yeah c'mon there's still so much good stuff being made at 140.

that brackles remix of I love london that you mention in pitchfork article is 140. so is hyph mngo..

Blackdown
25-02-2010, 11:58 AM
yeah course, you're totally right. we still write some beats at 138-140. i used 140 as shorthand for wobble, but there is good stuff there still, we're we're still repping.

i also chose to say "130" because it's suitably musically neutral. no one is going to mistake it for an actual genre (see the wobble debacle).

Aww Nein
25-02-2010, 02:56 PM
for me the way fwd (on a purely personal level) is 150bpm, but with much less ephaisis on the kicks, layers of quantised claves and hihats, basically Juke, but also linking with the dbridge type stuff where its fast but without the kick it kinda glides over you.

i dunno if its cos i kinda came into this music through dubstep and grime, but i feel 140 bpm is a plateau where anything faster then that is almost slightly unnatural, and so your inclined to hear it or move to it more at half the tempo.

benjybars
25-02-2010, 03:15 PM
don't really mind what happens from here but i think 140 is my favourite tempo for dancing and mixing.

big up all my 140 crew!

grizzleb
25-02-2010, 04:06 PM
I love the tempo 213.4 beats a minute in the key of the ancient maradocoian mode.

routes
25-02-2010, 04:11 PM
everything that never happens, in all directions, spreading

:)

gumdrops
25-02-2010, 04:50 PM
is there that dramatic a diff between 130 and 140? i mean really? basically agree with this:
I think its more about the vibes & sounds, the best D&B always had light & dark, it had CONTRAST (some of Groove's epic sets at Blue Note as an example)

wascal
25-02-2010, 06:47 PM
Not down with this sweeping bpm criticism in the slightest tbh, 140 as shorthand for wobble especially :confused:

michael
25-02-2010, 07:12 PM
This is hilarious. :D

gumdrops
25-02-2010, 08:05 PM
i know plenty of people hate wobble but er its only 10bpm difference.

if you were talking about hating 160bpm or 180 i could see your point, but im wondering if people push it, and go, you know, to (foreboding dramatic music)........ 136bpm, does that mean theyre banished forever to wobbleland?

jackmaster
25-02-2010, 08:35 PM
I thought Peru/Fire Flies was coming out on Numbers?

I am one of the guys behind Numbers, and I also work for a distributor called Rubadub and we have given Slackk a P&D deal to release some stuff. Because I think it's quality :)

So that's probably where the confusion arose from.

The first set of TPs have a jump in them so we're getting new ones done.

rwtt
25-02-2010, 09:09 PM
Not down with this sweeping bpm criticism in the slightest tbh, 140 as shorthand for wobble especially :confused:

this isn't how i read blackdown's "decoupling" comment - more that, at this point in time, the music coming from producers who are stepping down to 130 from 140 is overall of a higher standard...

wascal
26-02-2010, 12:24 PM
this isn't how i read blackdown's "decoupling" comment - more that, at this point in time, the music coming from producers who are stepping down to 130 from 140 is overall of a higher standard...

Ah OK, Can see some truth in that.

Corpsey
26-02-2010, 12:28 PM
165bpm 4ever

IanTheM
27-02-2010, 01:06 AM
i know plenty of people hate wobble but er its only 10bpm difference.

if you were talking about hating 160bpm or 180 i could see your point, but im wondering if people push it, and go, you know, to (foreboding dramatic music)........ 136bpm, does that mean theyre banished forever to wobbleland?

the thing is the closer you are to 130 the less you're caring about being mixed with 'dubstep' and seem to care about house/funky more, 136 is pretty easy to push up there but 10 bpms gets kinda eh.

Tentative Andy
27-02-2010, 03:24 PM
Just wanted to say that after finally managing to listen to it (yeah I know...), the Martyn Fabric mix is really, really good. :D If he plays like that in Glasgow next week it'll be an amazing night, I reckon.
(Was going to post this in the thread where the mix was already being discussed, but of course it's locked 'cause of all the antics that happened there. Makes as much sense here as anywhere, I guess).

alex
27-02-2010, 05:56 PM
http://a1.twimg.com/profile_images/721947800/IAA_2_-_Flyer_Back_-_Web.jpg

paolo
03-03-2010, 03:04 PM
Benji B show with mixes from Pangaea, Sbtrkt and Shortstuff

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0071st2

grizzleb
03-03-2010, 03:14 PM
Just wanted to say that after finally managing to listen to it (yeah I know...), the Martyn Fabric mix is really, really good. :D If he plays like that in Glasgow next week it'll be an amazing night, I reckon.
(Was going to post this in the thread where the mix was already being discussed, but of course it's locked 'cause of all the antics that happened there. Makes as much sense here as anywhere, I guess).You'd do well to check his re cent XLR8R mix andy, he mixes it up with a variety of belters. (glass domain, when doves cry, etc)

4linehaiku
04-03-2010, 04:52 PM
Optionally free album by I​.​D. & Baobinga
http://label.bassmusicblog.com/
Any money one does pay going to a hospice charity, which is nice.
It's good and all.

cobretti
04-03-2010, 11:20 PM
Was that Knightrider track on the Hessle show 15 mins ago by cunei4m? No Myspace or anything for the guy, just some mixes dotted about that don't seem to have any of his own tracks in the tracklists.

UFO over easy
05-03-2010, 01:09 AM
nah thats a dude who was feeling it, so i said his name.. can't remember who it's by, it came out on a 4 track white

cobretti
05-03-2010, 10:52 AM
nah thats a dude who was feeling it, so i said his name.. can't remember who it's by, it came out on a 4 track white

Thought that might be the case after spying his twitter. Turned up some decent looking mixes from him whilst googling away anyway.

mrfaucet
07-03-2010, 10:45 AM
Didn't hear the Hessle show, but cobretti do you mean this track?

http://www.boomkat.com/item.cfm?id=230334

Tentative Andy
11-03-2010, 04:01 PM
http://onethirtybpm.com/category/columns/the-month-in-dubstep/

Are people aware of this blog?
Covers a lot of the sort of stuff we've been talking about in this thread. Not all of the reviews are great - some of the description of the tunes can be a bit waffly - but they go into more detail than a lot of review blogs, and I like that they give coverage to some grimey stuff.
Also been handy for me personally, 'cause there's been a lot of good releases over the last couple of months that I haven't picked up, even in mp3 format, due to being too tight/skint, so this is helping me narrow it down to the essentials.

4linehaiku
21-04-2010, 10:32 PM
Anyone know what this is?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8-v1uTvhLM

Ory
21-04-2010, 11:56 PM
Anyone know what this is?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8-v1uTvhLM

http://www.juno.co.uk/ppps/products/285032-01.htm

B1

Fundamental
23-04-2010, 11:13 AM
Easy people. Sorry for the noob post but I wanted to let you all know that a small team of us are starting a website on 2-step, garage and any forward thinking music that surrounds both genres. We are currently looking for contributors for articles, biographies, features and analysis and I thought this forum would be a great place to start looking.

If you are into acts like Sines, Brackles, Submerse, Clueless, Pangaea, Spatial, Joy Orbison, Ramadanman, Whistla, VVV and you think you could write about them then get in touch. Previous experience is not necessary, if you are willing to submit a few paragraphs of text so we can gauge your abilities. Blog writers are welcome, we do want this site to be more of a magazine than a blog however.

We are also looking to set up a video crew for events so if you have access to and can operate video equipment then do get in touch. We are looking to set up a HD video channel along side the site.

Get in touch, even if you can't write and want to get involved :) fundamentalgarage @ gmail.com

Cheers.

outraygeous
23-04-2010, 03:01 PM
i would just like to add...

i dont like the terms future garage and post dubstep

hint
23-04-2010, 03:36 PM
http://soundcloud.com/duncanpowell/control-s-ft-kyla-maj-do-you-mind-duncan-powell-get-it-on-2step-dub

benjybars
23-04-2010, 03:49 PM
http://soundcloud.com/duncanpowell/control-s-ft-kyla-maj-do-you-mind-duncan-powell-get-it-on-2step-dub

that is bumpy!

like it

Tentative Andy
26-04-2010, 02:52 PM
Keep meaning to post the following link, it's audio from a Ustream set that Ikonika did a week or two back. Sticking it in this thread though tbh it's as much housey as it is garagey:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/bw46vc

Tracklisting (via the DSF House forum):
Burial Untrue
Roska - ???
Ricardo Villalobos Spritzcussion
Altered Natives Rass Out
Nightcrawlers Push The Feeling
Deep Tecknologi Anthem
Somore I Refuse (What You Want)
Martyn Mega Drive Collection
Sunship Cheque One-Two
Dj Naughty Firepower
Lil Silva Seasons
Scratcha DVA New World Order
Steve Gurley & Al Brown Killin Me
Ital Tek Moment In Blue (Ikonika Remix)
Modek Mumps (French Fries Remix)
Jahcoozi Read The Books (Ikonika Remix)
Ikonika - ???
Rox - My Baby Left Me (Arms Remix)
Seiji Chekere
American Men - Claude Speed (Ikonika & Optimum Remix)
Ikonika & Optimum Ampersand
Dikolous Win or Lose
Endgames - Ecstasy (Jam City refix)
Four Tet Sing (Mosca Remix)
Scuba On Deck
DJ Deeon Let Me Bang (Jam City Remix)
Egyptrixx Everybody Bleeding
Ikonika They Are All Losing The War
Menta Sounds Of Da Future
Blaque Ivory I Do (Phuturistix Mix)
Skream Rottan
Kode9 9 Samurai

I liked this one a lot, it does a good job of mixing across a few related styles whilst still feeling coherent and keeping a consistent flow to the beats going, which is maybe something that was getting lost in some other recent mixes I was hearing (though not all of them obv). Also 1hr15 is a much nicer sort of length for non-live home-listening than most Ustream bits.

samdiamond
26-04-2010, 08:01 PM
Keep meaning to post the following link, it's audio from a Ustream set that Ikonika did a week or two back. Sticking it in this thread though tbh it's as much housey as it is garagey:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/bw46vc

Tracklisting (via the DSF House forum):
Burial Untrue
Roska - ???
Ricardo Villalobos Spritzcussion
Altered Natives Rass Out
Nightcrawlers Push The Feeling
Deep Tecknologi Anthem
Somore I Refuse (What You Want)
Martyn Mega Drive Collection
Sunship Cheque One-Two
Dj Naughty Firepower
Lil Silva Seasons
Scratcha DVA New World Order
Steve Gurley & Al Brown Killin Me
Ital Tek Moment In Blue (Ikonika Remix)
Modek Mumps (French Fries Remix)
Jahcoozi Read The Books (Ikonika Remix)
Ikonika - ???
Rox - My Baby Left Me (Arms Remix)
Seiji Chekere
American Men - Claude Speed (Ikonika & Optimum Remix)
Ikonika & Optimum Ampersand
Dikolous Win or Lose
Endgames - Ecstasy (Jam City refix)
Four Tet Sing (Mosca Remix)
Scuba On Deck
DJ Deeon Let Me Bang (Jam City Remix)
Egyptrixx Everybody Bleeding
Ikonika They Are All Losing The War
Menta Sounds Of Da Future
Blaque Ivory I Do (Phuturistix Mix)
Skream Rottan
Kode9 9 Samurai

I liked this one a lot, it does a good job of mixing across a few related styles whilst still feeling coherent and keeping a consistent flow to the beats going, which is maybe something that was getting lost in some other recent mixes I was hearing (though not all of them obv). Also 1hr15 is a much nicer sort of length for non-live home-listening than most Ustream bits.

I think she's an amazing dj, has a real knack for finding tunes that really compliment each other, stuff that you think would really clash she makes work. I have no idea how she does it but it sounds fucking amazing

Fundamental
04-06-2010, 05:10 PM
Hi people,

Just wanted to get the word out that our website is now up and running. Fundamental (http://www.fundamentalgarage.com) is a UK based online magazine and web portal that exists to showcase the best in contemporary 2-step, garage and future music. Hopefully lots of the articles on the site will be ticking the right boxes for members of the forum who read this thread.

Also to celebrate the launch we have got a free 40 minute mix from Fundamental resident Sentinels which kicks off the Fundamental Mixology series. The mix includes tracks from Submerse, Dark Sky, Resketch, Sully, James Blake, Joy Orbison and more. It showcases the sort of music we will be covering on the site. For more information and to download check here (http://www.fundamentalgarage.com/mixes)

If you add us on Twitter we will keep you updated about everything future garage, 2-step and garage related. fundamental2012 (http://www.twitter.com/fundamental2012)

THANK YOU.

http://i46.tinypic.com/25p6436.jpg

urbanite
17-06-2010, 12:57 PM
Just a quick linky for the mix that Whistla did for us to illustrate our Russian translation of the interview that he gave to Blackdown regarding the whole future garage thing:

http://capitalbass.ru/2010/06/16/capital-bass-mix-001-whistla-future-garage/

Fundamental
22-06-2010, 09:29 AM
<object height="81" width="100%"> <param name="movie" value="http://player.soundcloud.com/player.swf?url=http%3A%2F%2Fsoundcloud.com%2Ffunda mentalgarage%2Fmixology-two"></param> <param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param> <embed allowscriptaccess="always" height="81" src="http://player.soundcloud.com/player.swf?url=http%3A%2F%2Fsoundcloud.com%2Ffunda mentalgarage%2Fmixology-two" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="100%"></embed> </object> <span><a href="http://soundcloud.com/fundamentalgarage/mixology-two">Mixology Two: Submerse</a> by <a href="http://soundcloud.com/fundamentalgarage">Fundamental</a></span>

Expect fresh dubplate Garage in the above from Night Audio, Submerse, Clueless, Pixelord, and Resketch (killing it right now).

gostwan
22-06-2010, 04:40 PM
http://www.juno.co.uk/ppps/products/285032-01.htm

B1

Thanks I have this on white and play it a lot, and had no idea what it was. Till now.

cobretti
23-06-2010, 12:48 AM
Just to compliment what was said above about Ikonika's skills, she absolutely smashed it at the Hyperdub party in Spain last week, I felt pretty bad for Cooly G who had to go on after her. A great mix of dubstep, garage, house, ghetto house and juke with the crowd loving it every step of the way.

Ach!
23-06-2010, 02:11 AM
Not sure if this fits here, or in Wonky, or wherever, but I love this right now:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/MWY-lACqOE8&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/MWY-lACqOE8&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

michael
23-06-2010, 03:48 AM
I don't usually like that guy Machine Drum - seems lacking in his own voice - but Sepulcure are doing pretty enjoyable stuff I reckon.

Nobody mention that Sepulcure consists of two producers who have often been described as making "IDM". Oh wait, that was the James Blake thread where that argument was going on...

FairiesWearBoots
23-06-2010, 07:58 AM
Dont even know if this should be this thread or dubstep, dont care

New Ramadanman mix

http://www.bestiblog.net/2010/06/bestimix-23-ramadanman.html

Cant get the fuckin DL link to work??!!!!:mad: anyone else help?

looks like a dope mix of old & new

Tracklisting:
01. kim english - nite life (remix) [nervous]
02. altered natives - crop duster [3024]
03. ramadanman - grab somebody [white]
04. unknown - untitled [unreleased]
05. martyn - miniluv [osgut ton]
06. distance - feel me [chestplate]
07. ramadanman - mir [white]
08. menta - snake charmer [road]
09. ramadanman - fall short [swamp 81]
10. distal - apple bottom [unreleased]
11. unknown - untitled [unreleased]
12. loefah - goat stare [dmz]
13. peverelist - better ways of living [punch drunk]
14. blawan - potchla vee [unreleased]
15. instramental - rift zone [unreleased]
16. ludacris vs joe - how low claptrap (dj orgasmic bootleg) [unreleased]
17. sx - wooo remix [digital]
18. addison groove - this girl [unreleased]
19. benga - one on one [big apple]
20. pariah - crossed out [forthcoming r&s]
21. sigha - light swells (in a distant space) [hotflush]

alex
23-06-2010, 08:29 AM
16. ludacris vs joe - how low claptrap (dj orgasmic bootleg) [unreleased]

!

FairiesWearBoots
23-06-2010, 11:40 AM
werd! also love the Woo riddim/glut refix that is being played right now (doubt it will come out but so amazing)

anyone catch Oneman & Loefah on live stream from the Boiler room last night? was dope

Blackdown
04-07-2010, 08:56 PM
Audio for our June Rinse show (http://relay.exequo.org/rinsefm/podcast/BlackdonDusk300610.mp3). <./.endspam >

district
05-07-2010, 01:16 AM
I don't usually like that guy Machine Drum - seems lacking in his own voice - but Sepulcure are doing pretty enjoyable stuff I reckon.

+1

jimitheexploder
09-07-2010, 09:58 PM
dunno where to put this...

Funky crew might not be on it and its not quite grime haha

Mickey Pearce has done a remix of JME & Tempz CD Is Dead, mad purcusive skippy number. Its too BIG. Lots of chopped up vocals and pulsing bass tones playing off some serriosly shoulder shaking drums. Keep an eye/ear out it pops.

Really feeling C.R.S.T. too: http://sonicrouter.blogspot.com/2010/07/pre-order-crst-revival-ep-well-rounded.html

Mike Waer
14-07-2010, 12:20 PM
Speaking of Sepalcure, I included their newest track on this mixtape of garagey joints from NY producers.
http://culturesystem.org/2010/07/13/park-here/

<object height="81" width="100%"> <param name="movie" value="http://player.soundcloud.com/player.swf?url=http%3A%2F%2Fsoundcloud.com%2Fwaerr ock%2Fnyght-out-v2-garage-style-1"></param> <param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param> <embed allowscriptaccess="always" height="81" src="http://player.soundcloud.com/player.swf?url=http%3A%2F%2Fsoundcloud.com%2Fwaerr ock%2Fnyght-out-v2-garage-style-1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="100%"></embed> </object> <span><a href="http://soundcloud.com/waerrock/nyght-out-v2-garage-style-1">NYght Out V2 - Garage Style 1</a> by <a href="http://soundcloud.com/waerrock">Waer Rock</a></span>

Here's the tracklist:
00:01 - Blind Prophet — “From Within” [Unreleased]
03:20 - Svpreme Fiend — “Downfall” [Unreleased]
05:21 - Policy — “Our Secret” [Unreleased]
08:06 - Incyde — “Stares” [Unreleased]
10:01 - Goldielocks — “Addict (Falty DL Remix)” [FreeDL]
12:25 - Peter Gunn — “Troop Surge” [Unreleased]
14:00 - DJ Abstract — “Noxema” [FreeDL]
17:33 - Crystal Fighters — “In The Summer (Sepalcure Dub)” [Zirkulo]
19:35 - Utah Saints — “Power To The Beats (Todd Edwards Sweet Soul Dubified)” [FreeDL]
21:03 - Matt Shadetek — “Beenie Eyes” [Dutty Artz]
23:07 - Mikey Dubs — “Tempting Semara” [Unreleased]
25:49 - D’ Angelo — “Devil’s Pie (KRTS 2-Step Remix)” [FreeDL]

Came across this thread a couple months back, glad I checked in again.

Fundamental
14-07-2010, 02:55 PM
Profiles and interviews on some of the new breed of 2-step artists on our site...

Dark Sky: http://fundamentalgarage.com/artists/dark-sky/

VVV: http://fundamentalgarage.com/artists/vvv-interview/

Resketch: http://fundamentalgarage.com/artists/resketch-interview/

xxxy: http://fundamentalgarage.com/artists/xxxy/

DoubleG
14-07-2010, 10:55 PM
Would anyone be kind enough to to re-up Dark Sky's Dark001 mix? Thank you in advance.

paolo
15-07-2010, 07:49 AM
Audio for our June Rinse show (http://relay.exequo.org/rinsefm/podcast/BlackdonDusk300610.mp3). <./.endspam >

This show is a LOT of a LOT

gremino
20-07-2010, 09:55 AM
It's Working EP now out on vinyl:
http://boomkat.com/vinyl/321563-gremino-it-s-working
http://www.cargorecords.co.uk/release/12585

wascal
29-07-2010, 01:07 AM
Shameless plug: I've put a new Wascal mix up on the mixes forum: http://www.dissensus.com/showthread.php?11072-Wascal-Summer-2010-Mix&p=239642#post239642

Loads of future garage, forthcoming stuff from Punch Drunk, L2S, Davey Jones, new Submerse tunes, Gyu, Hypno, Wascal etc etc...

FairiesWearBoots
29-07-2010, 08:35 AM
http://www.planet.mu/discography/ZIQ277

got this 12" yesterday, it sounds like it could have been made 10 years ago (in a GOOD way)

just the sort of sound I am looking for, more like this please!

Scherzo Wegei
30-07-2010, 02:36 AM
A few future garage bits... :)

Future Garage from Japan...

Deeper: http://soundcloud.com/intoccabile/intoccabile-deeper-future-garage

Das Elend Bleibt: http://soundcloud.com/intoccabile/intoccabile-das-elend-bleibt-karma-edit

In your arms: http://soundcloud.com/intoccabile/intoccabile-in-your-arms

De Spiria: http://soundcloud.com/intoccabile/2-de-spiria

Future Garage volume I

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v655/Pbizzy/Fyuchaflex_FutureGarage-2.jpg

http://soundcloud.com/intoccabile/intoccabile-future-garage-volume-1

Future Garage volume II

http://soundcloud.com/intoccabile/intoccabile-future-garage-volume-ii

alec.tron
30-07-2010, 04:06 AM
Future Garage from Japan...

thanks for posting! feeling some of the bits a lot.
Why from Japan though when his/her/its' soundcloud says Montreal ?
just wonderin...
c.

Scherzo Wegei
30-07-2010, 04:49 AM
Hi there,

I was in Montreal when most of my accounts (Soundcloud, myspace, etc. ) were created :)

I live in Japan now but I haven't updated my profiles yet.

Thanks for listening !

Big Future garage scene in Japan btw, especially in Tokyo

Scherzo Wegei
21-08-2010, 09:20 AM
Hey all,

A quick post to let you know that my Future Garage album will hit virtual shelves soon.

It's entitled Rerum Novarum (of new things).

18th of September: digital-tunes.net and Fyutchaflex music store on facebook.

1st of October: i-Tunes, e-music, Spotify, Thumbplay, Amazon mp3, Napster, Trackitdown.

Here is the first promo video: http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=10150231079120023

For more info and music:

http://WWW.MTLGRIME.BLOGSPOT.COM
http://WWW.FYUTCHAFLEX.CA/Resume.pdf
http://WWW.FYUTCHAFLEX.CA
http://WWW.MYSPACE.COM/FYUTCHAFLEX
http://WWW.TWITTER.COM/INTOCCABILE
http://WWW.SOUNDCLOUD.COM/INTOCCABILE
http://WWW.MIXCLOUD.COM/INTOCCABILE
http://WWW.INTOCCABILE.TUMBLR.COM
http://www.discogs.com/artist/Intoccabile

outraygeous
21-08-2010, 10:20 AM
my brother found this when searching for Dem2 stuff

http://www.thewire.co.uk/articles/2033/print

about the 2-step scene

continuum
24-08-2010, 08:21 PM
Endgames - Ecstacy (Jam City Refix)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LsWmikaLFms

Ory
28-08-2010, 08:10 AM
didn't really know where to post this. anyone know who this Dro Carey guy is? needs to be signed asap if he hasn't already.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/GtyX4EABKaE?fs=1&amp;hl=en_GB"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/GtyX4EABKaE?fs=1&amp;hl=en_GB" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

luka
28-08-2010, 08:15 AM

this is actually a good tune.

Scherzo Wegei
28-08-2010, 08:46 AM
More future garage...

<object width="400" height="300" ><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><param name="movie" value="http://www.facebook.com/v/10150231079120023" /><embed src="http://www.facebook.com/v/10150231079120023" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="400" height="300"></embed></object>

Fundamental
04-09-2010, 07:11 PM
Bit on Fortified Audio (VVV, Cosmic Revenge, XXXY, Submerse etc) with interview....

http://fundamentalgarage.com/labels/fortified-audio/

gostwan
14-09-2010, 06:55 PM
This is no bad if you like this sort of thing....;)

http://boomkat.com/downloads/333121-xxxy-every-step-forward-ep

pat
15-09-2010, 03:15 PM
didn't really know where to post this. anyone know who this Dro Carey guy is? needs to be signed asap if he hasn't already.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/GtyX4EABKaE?fs=1&amp;hl=en_GB"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/GtyX4EABKaE?fs=1&amp;hl=en_GB" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

forthcoming trilogy tapes i think

denoir
13-10-2010, 01:27 PM
here's my vision of "future garage"

http://soundcloud.com/denoir/distant-future-garage-mix

Includes: tracks from exciting talents (Bruises, Claviq, Newtown), electronic music geniuses of today (Darkstar, Dorian Concept), IDM classics (Mouse On Mars, Luke Vibert), future garage artists (KingThing, Littlefoot) and other bass music producers (Spatial, Sully, Gremino, C.R.S.T), and an obligatory skweee track by Claws (motherfunkin') Costeau.

also added a rant on the "future garage" name :D

FairiesWearBoots
01-11-2010, 07:03 AM
anyone seen the line up for Fabric on Friday? Todd Edwards, Oneman & Hessle (BIG)
planning to reach this but havent been to fabric in years (literally) - what's the queue like these days/best time to get down there? also anyone know where they list the set times? (dont want to make the trek and miss Oneman)
any help is appreciated, cheers

Benny B
01-11-2010, 07:24 PM
anyone seen the line up for Fabric on Friday? Todd Edwards, Oneman & Hessle (BIG)
planning to reach this but havent been to fabric in years (literally) - what's the queue like these days/best time to get down there? also anyone know where they list the set times? (dont want to make the trek and miss Oneman)
any help is appreciated, cheers

Saw Todd at Fabric earlier this year. Found Fabric to be a totally over-packed nightmare tbh, they let far too many people in so there's barely room to move , let alone dance. That said, Todd was brilliant and got such an amazing reaction from the crowd. The whole place was bumpin and singing along to 'As I am' remix. So, its a trade-off really.

Damien
01-11-2010, 07:28 PM
I walked before Todd came on, wish I'd toughed out the cattle market tbh :D

Benny B
01-11-2010, 07:33 PM
Seriously, if it had been anyone else coming on I would have probably joined you. The whole night was a very draining experience. On the plus side, I thought the sound system was ace though.

FairiesWearBoots
01-11-2010, 07:58 PM
hmm, still tempted tho, squeeze in for Todd & Oneman and try find a tiny space in the Hessle room to soak it up?
no longer live in the London area so it will be train - club till close and early train home, solo mish as the wifey is 'over it' but part of me still feels 18 :o

UFO over easy
01-11-2010, 09:09 PM
that one was pretty unusual it won't be so busy on friday

Fundamental
02-11-2010, 01:05 AM
Fuck that line up (http://www.fabriclondon.com/club/listings/#303) looks big.

I can remember thinking a decade ago why do they have to keep booking DJ Hype, Scratch Perverts and Plump DJs on rotation...? why can't they just let DJ EZ fuck that system up in there. Might just have to reach for Zedda alone, Todd is a bonus in my book, love the tunes but hope he doesn't do a 98% Todd set like he used to. Third room looks hench too.

Elsewhere in 2-step (warning spam): got a Fortified Audio (label of xxxy/jamie grind/cosmic revenge) free mix on our site, and a Clueless (L2S/Norway's finest) interview and free mix. http://www.fundamentalgarage.com

FairiesWearBoots
02-11-2010, 11:40 AM
I'm def gonna reach - any other Dissenters?

gostwan
02-11-2010, 01:46 PM
Did a mix for the FundamentalGarage site, to go with the label feature they did a while back, lots of forthcoming Fortified beats on it, check it out....

http://soundcloud.com/fundamentalgarage/mixology-six?utm_source=soundcloud&utm_campaign=share&utm_medium=facebook&utm_content=http%3A%2F%2Fsoundcloud.com%2Ffundamen talgarage%2Fmixology-six

Tracklist:
Psychonaught - One Wish (Unreleased)
Bureu13 - So Late (Forthcoming Fortified Audio)
Bamboo Palace - Frozen (Forthcoming Fortified Audio)
Plot Twist - Ohene (Forthcoming Fortified Audio)
Lo : tek - A(nother) Day @ The Carnival (Forthcoming Fortified Audio)
Digital Mystikz - Pathways (Doc Daneeka Remix) (Unreleased)
XXXY - Just For Me (Fortified Audio)
Doc Daneeka - Funky Bit (Unreleased)
Fauxhemian - Speaking In Tounges (Never coming out, sorry)
Fauxhemian - Panagakou (Forthcoming Fortified Audio)
VVV - Retreated (Forthcoming Fortified Audio)
Littlefoot - Planet October (Unreleased)
VVV - Infinite (Unreleased)
Mau'lin - Sabu (Forthcoming Fortified Audio)
Artek&Kovu - And Then (Forthcoming Fortified Audio)
Milyoo - Classic (VVV Remix) (Forthcoming Night Audio)
Distal&Hxdb - Typewriter VIP (Surefire Sounds)
Jamie Grind - Without You (Fortcoming on Fortified Audio)
Joe - Claptrap (Hessle Audio)
Distal - Africa To Mars (Forthcoming Fortified Audio)
Plastikman- Old School (Novamute)
TRC - Oo Aa Ee VIP (Butterz)
Distal - Android Tourism (Forthcoming Fortified Audio)
Hyetal - Phoenix (Orca)
The Dream - Yamaha (Island DefJam)

http://www.fundamentalgarage.com

Bunj
02-11-2010, 02:26 PM
Wicked to see a Psychonaught tune starting the mix, reidy deserves a lot more credit, really good selection throughout, nice one for this!

mms
02-11-2010, 02:56 PM

this is actually a good tune.

agreed - the 'let me bang' thing on the b side needs to be thrown in the bin though.

paolo
03-11-2010, 09:50 AM
Mix looks nice Gostwan, even though I've not even heard of half of those producers :)

agreed - the 'let me bang' thing on the b side needs to be thrown in the bin though.

We're going to have to agree to disagree on that one

gostwan
03-11-2010, 02:15 PM
Mix looks nice Gostwan, even though I've not even heard of half of those producers :)

You have now!

Blackdown
17-11-2010, 09:14 AM
Pitchfork End of Year column 2010 (http://pitchfork.com/features/grime-dubstep/7901-grime-dubstep/) could end up in one of 5 threads here but this one is a good as any. Inc dubstep, grime, UK funky, 130 and road rap.

Sectionfive
17-11-2010, 09:20 AM
great read, Will post a few thoughts when I wake up

paolo
17-11-2010, 11:52 AM
Yeah good read :)

alex
17-11-2010, 03:08 PM
edited cause i dont read discogs as often as i should

nice read

alex
17-11-2010, 03:09 PM
edit, oh it came out on his EP, for more exposure presumably? wierd!, apologies for that just then, brain-melt

Sectionfive
17-11-2010, 03:27 PM
Reading through that again, two things strikes me.

Oneman, Hessle, Eglo, Nightslugs and Robots in the first few paragraphs.
Outside of Petchey and United Vibes these would all be close enough to my shows of the year too but I think the is a massive hyperdub shaped hole in the airwaves.

Second thing is it must be pain not be able to include Keysound in these things.
Easily up there with the rest on the radio and on wax this year.

alex
17-11-2010, 03:40 PM
yea no bred, but i have enjoyed what keysound have released this year martin.

Blackdown
17-11-2010, 04:56 PM
Second thing is it must be pain not be able to include Keysound in these things. Easily up there with the rest on the radio and on wax this year.

Fanks... goes with the territory though i guess.

Sectionfive
18-11-2010, 03:11 PM
Don't where to stick this. Mick Slott and Martyn

http://www.rushhour.nl/sounds/56356_1.mp3

http://www.rushhour.nl/distribution_detailed.php?item=56356

mrfaucet
23-11-2010, 08:50 PM
Anyone know what's on the forthcoming jam city ep other than Magic Drops?

Ory
24-11-2010, 03:50 AM
it's Magic Drops / Scene Girl / 2 Hot

gumdrops
24-11-2010, 12:01 PM
this article (http://www.residentadvisor.net/feature.aspx?1274) seems to apply to a lot of this stuff.

mrfaucet
24-11-2010, 11:19 PM
Thanks Ory.

Is What I Think About You ever going to see the light of day?

alex
25-11-2010, 08:51 AM
as far as I know there are no plans for it at the moment.

Blackdown
26-11-2010, 02:17 PM
Audio from our rinse show last night, first hour 130, second 140 http://relay.exequo.org/rinsefm/podcast/DuskBlackdown251110.mp3

paolo
26-11-2010, 02:34 PM
I like to keep my records sorted by genre, and all this dubstep/house/UKF/garage wot do u call it stuff has been making that difficult

Blackdown
26-11-2010, 02:39 PM
i'd say something like "have one big 'music' section?" but that's akin to the perennial forum cliche "music is music (maaaaaaan...)" which makes me want to self harm when people say it ;)

outraygeous
26-11-2010, 03:35 PM
my serato is so fractured its unreal

gumdrops
26-11-2010, 04:21 PM
you should just file them according to two categories. good music and bad music. :cool: (though why you would have bad music in your own collection i dont know, but hey, if the rule is good enough for duke ellington...)

Blackdown
29-11-2010, 08:12 AM
Damu interview and mix (http://blackdownsoundboy.blogspot.com/2010/11/meet-damu.html).

hint
05-12-2010, 05:19 PM
http://soundcloud.com/duncanpowell/duncan-powell-some-love

Duncan Powell chopping up some Dam Funk.

outraygeous
05-12-2010, 10:19 PM
Duncan Powell is a G

he was the king of the second resurgence of garage. I hope he will be back on top for the impending 3rd rush for the 4/4 sound

Blackdown
07-12-2010, 09:28 AM
A new Roy Davis Jr Gabrielle refix. Some nice vocal chops but dont think it tops the original http://soundcloud.com/solotraxx/gabrielleclassicvocal

hint
07-12-2010, 10:51 AM
Hmmm.... the horns don't sound right

paolo
07-12-2010, 01:29 PM
it's Magic Drops / Scene Girl / 2 Hot

This is so big, r'n'eski vibes :cool:

Fundamental
11-12-2010, 11:17 PM
Have to say on the categorising front...

It's been like 18 months of post-wobble transition and nothing has solidified as we get to the obligatory end of the year review schedule. If I keep having trouble organising my beats into the right folders/itunes playlists then it is a small price to pay for what is actually happening on my speakers. Girl Unit- Wut next to Altered Natives, Scratcha DVA- New World Order, or Submerse- Hold It Down; all it means to me is that it is an excellent, abet confusing time to be one of the heads. I reckon there are a few of you on Dissensus that feel the same way too, so big up on that front.

Fundamental
13-12-2010, 11:01 AM
Also our site is now on Tumblr: http://fundamentalsound.tumblr.com

I urge everyone on here to get on Tumblr, it has the potential to be something big. It combines the best parts of blogging with the retweet philosophy of twitter. It shits on twitter because it is content not ego driven and it is an open playing field and rewards good content rather than egoism/fame. It has like a 80% return rate to Twitters 40% for this reason.

Yeah at the moment it is largely for hipsters and scene kids but if everyone in our scene joined up it would be a good tool. You have to login and follow a few bass music blogs to begin to appreciate.

Advert over lol.

hint
15-12-2010, 04:12 PM
1998-2000 "Lost DATs" mix from Zed Bias for DJ Magazine:
http://www.djmag.com/music/podcast_detail/2499

wascal
15-12-2010, 07:07 PM
1998-2000 "Lost DATs" mix from Zed Bias for DJ Magazine:
http://www.djmag.com/music/podcast_detail/2498

good find :)

outraygeous
15-12-2010, 09:51 PM
tumblrs okay but its always down and then its kinda like myspace with chicks taking pics of themselves after taking a dump

maybe i have been looking in the wrong places :(

Scherzo Wegei
23-12-2010, 07:16 AM
Hi all,

New Future Garage to share.

By the way, really liking where Future Garage is going at the moment.

http://soundcloud.com/intoccabile/intoccabile-deeper-future-garage

http://soundcloud.com/intoccabile/luisa-maita-desencabulada-intoccabile-remix

http://soundcloud.com/intoccabile/intoccabile-undying-love-project-camelot

http://soundcloud.com/intoccabile/intoccabile-watching-you-clip

http://soundcloud.com/intoccabile/intoccabile-sachlichkeit

http://soundcloud.com/intoccabile/intoccabile-undying-love-project-camelot

routes
23-12-2010, 08:01 AM
where is it going at the moment? cos by the sounds of those tracks it's going ... (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Umc1c2EdIaM)

alex
23-12-2010, 08:24 AM
What is future garage going to be next year?

routes
23-12-2010, 08:28 AM
yeah the idea of 'liking where future garage is going' is not entirely unfunny...

post-future garage?