gil scott-heron

ether

this has been doing the rounds for a while:

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

but here's a preview of new album:

<object classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=9,0,0,0" width="300" height="500" id="videoplayer.prt1" align="middle"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="movie" value="http://gilscottheron.net/widget/gilscottheronalbum.swf" /><param name="quality" value="high" /><param name="bgcolor" value="#000000" /> <embed src="http://gilscottheron.net/widget/gilscottheronalbum.swf" quality="high" bgcolor="#000000" width="300" height="500" name="videoplayer.prt1" align="middle" allowScriptAccess="always" allowFullScreen="true" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" /></object>

slim jenkins

El Hombre Invisible
Good comeback.
I'm glad they went for the 'minimalist' contemporary sound (Tricky influenced?) rather than some awful band attempting to be 'contemporary'...which would have enevitably involved naff breakbeat drumming....and probably a guest rapper...along with Stevie Wonder on harmonica.

gumdrops

listening to this on the stream now. so far ill take care of you is the one that sounds the most like 70s gil but the rest, despite some of its 90s/trip hop-isms, is still sounding good, though it sometimes wears its weariness a little too obviously. his voice is what carries it though. so emotive. i hope he still has a few more albums in him. good to see someone like him getting the cash/rubin treatment too.

jenks

thread death
Got this last night - whilst not perfect there are some very impressive moments on here - the Smog cover I'm New Here is a relevation and confirms my belief that Bill Callahan is severely under-rated. I'd rather the producer didn't need to make him sound 'relevant' as he does on New York Is Killing Me which sounds just tricksy rather than Tricky.

The spoken moments are great - reminiscent of Grandma's Hands.

There is nothing of the power of The Bottle, Gun or Revolution but is that really so surprising?

gumdrops

some of the backing is a bit pastichey.
and weird to hear someone who was always against samples backed by them.
but that voice is still amazing.
and theres quite a few stunning moments, even if they do sound a bit 90s bristol.
this is basically one of those 'introduction of an old artist to a new audience/generation' albums.

gumdrops

this is a bit shit imho -
if it was anyone else apart from jamie xx i dont know if anyone would care.

Blackdown

nexKeysound
nah man, the whole album is lovely, the dubstep bits put many current dubsteppers to shame... the house parts similarly.

stephenk

i'm talking about the 320!
i do have high hopes for the remix album though...just can't get into that one, lacking the lushness.

crackerjack

Can't really get the fuss about this album. The music's good and his voice is amazing, but fuck, so many covers – a few more completely new tracks wouldn't have gone unappreciated round here. It's not like he hasn't had time ;)

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

stephenk

It is fucking brilliant. Evidently I need to listen to more Swedish pop

yeah i don't know if it actually does or just sounds like swedish pop in my head, but the piano + subs + ultra languid beach guitar reminds me of jj or studio.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Not typical Swedish pop certainly (but listening to more Swedish pop is always recommended), but fucking brilliant nonetheless.

It's between Gil, Marvin Gaye and Scott Walker for the best male voice of all time.

Just because:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Blackdown

nexKeysound
yeah i don't know if it actually does or just sounds like swedish pop in my head, but the piano + subs + ultra languid beach guitar reminds me of jj or studio.

Actually there are some tiny bits by JJ on the remix album, Jamie weaved them in.

gumdrops

youtube or not, it (the jamie xx remix) just sounds a bit inconsequential and washes over you (or me at least). amused at how xl thought a whole jamie xx remix album would be a good idea. id rather hear someone like questlove rework it. or someone with a bit more grit in their music rather than namby pambyness. though really, i would just much rather hear GSH do all the songs with a live band like the old records with brian jackson.

Last edited:

outraygeous

same here, saw the boiler room clip. Didnt strike me at all but then it would be hard to put re work a GSH tune. Its all about his voice and his content