Answer / Weatherman Skank riddims

mucsavage

A question for all you Jamaican music experts....

Are these two riddims essentially the same? Or am I going mad?

Cheers

john eden

male pale and stale
Weatherman skank is aka "it's raining"?

If so then you get horns on it. And the baseline is different?

Check the originals mAybe?

It's rainig by the two tops (or was it the three tops?)

and slim smith for answer

mucsavage

Yeah, Its Raining is Weatherman Skank

And then Slim Smith, as you say, is the original for Answer

Its the basslines that are wrecking my head. They are slightly different alright, but, yet, seem so the same.....Weird.

Just trying to separate tracks into riddims, nerding it up a bit

john eden

male pale and stale
I love unpicking all that stuff. Did you see the Answer riddim clash me and Paul Meme did?

matt b

Indexing all opinion
Different rhythms:

weatherman skank

answer

If you see any 7"s on the Black & White label, I'd suggest you buy on sight- generally excellent, most with Tubby dubs. Been getting repressed over the past couple of years.

D

droid

Yeah, Id say their definitely different riddims as well.

I read something recently that claimed 'pain' wasn't on the answer... crazy.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

mucsavage

Nice one John, that clash was before my lurking about here, will download them for commuting tomorrow!

I've sorted out my confusion, with a fresh listen.

Matt, dead on with the Black & White stuff, I have Larry Marshall & Carlton Patterson - Can't You Understand. It's gorgeous.

Anyway, it could be worse I suppose, I could be into stamps or something.

routes

we can delay.ay.ay...
THIS is a beautiful tarrus riley song on the midnight hour riddim. when i first heard this i thought it was the weatherman riddim but it obviously isn't. but anyway. any excuse. it's a great tune.

D

droid

I can't muster up the enthusiasm for it. My riddim/collection excel database has stalled at 30 entries. [and not because that's all the records I have, you cheeky fuckers!]

Thats true. I saw at least 31 records in your place when I was over.

I'm still investigating a custom XML based metadata solution to all this malarky. Something that I can search and filter by artist/album/style/producer/label/sub-genre/year/country/riddim/lyrics/theme etc... so if I want to find a 1993 bhangra style DJ tune on Pick up the pieces riddim about shooting guns at train drivers, all I have to do is search by artist and filter by year/theme etc.. (the answer is 'Ninjman - target practise' btw). Think Ill have to write the interface in Flash, but I'm hoping that doing the dataset in XML will allow it to link in with other systems which I may or may not try out in the future.

Back OT - Ballistic Affair/Get in the Groove... Theyre not that similar but I always get them mixed up!

D

droid

THIS is a beautiful tarrus riley song on the midnight hour riddim. when i first heard this i thought it was the weatherman riddim but it obviously isn't. but anyway. any excuse. it's a great tune.

Id call that an answer recut. The bass is almost identical, the skanks are in the right key. Extra horns, but that's standard. Reminds me a bit of the penthouse cut of answer.

routes

we can delay.ay.ay...
Id call that an answer recut. The bass is almost identical, the skanks are in the right key. Extra horns, but that's standard. Reminds me a bit of the penthouse cut of answer.

cor. i had to got to thinking it was a homage or something. i've seen it called 'the midnight hour riddim'.

D

droid

That's common enough though. Often recuts are given their own name based on the biggest tune on the riddim. The c2000 reversion of the conversation was called the 'Debate', but its basically the same riddim. When something deviates significantly enough from the original but is still recognisable I'd often use the new name but have a 'based on' category - so the 'Two year Old' would be its own riddim, but it would be based on the 'Lecturer', or 'Political Friction' would be based on "Full Up'. 'Heavenless' is a nightmare for this as a lot of the versions would be very different from each other - see 'Greetings' (Phang digi killer), 'Crying time' (slowed down Jammys cut with new piano melody), 'Informer' (early 80s cut with full horns) and "Deh Wid you' (Jammys cut again with the extra synth melody, used a basis for many 90's versions of the riddim) to name but a few.

Last edited by a moderator:

mucsavage

I'm quietly thankful that....

1. There are others whose geek-ery surpasses mine

2. I am not alone in riddim confusion

Lecturer is another lovely one, especially the Jim Brown cut on the Soul Jazz DJ comp.

Ah great, just listened to the Midnight Hour, confusion reigns once again :(

Last edited:
D

droid

Lecturer, Answer, High Fashion. Those riddims ruled soundclash in the mid-late 80s (after Sleng Teng of course).

D

droid

Big time. Thats why there's no trains in Jamaica anymore.

Babylon will of course claim that its because the government couldnt afford to repair the tracks after Gilbert, but the real reason is that all the drivers quit because so many were being shot by Ninjaman.