90s revival: starting prices

bun-u

Trumpet Police
Pop pickers, the 20 year rule means that the Teenies will be delving into 90s - which I personally think was a pretty good decade for music (from my two and a half as a fully fledged music fan). History also tells us that it isn't always the obvious stuff that gets the revived, so what are you putting money on? (i.e. artists, scenes, style, fashions...)

BareBones

wheezy
rave's already made a comeback hasn't it, you got 'where were u in 92' and nu-rave and all that.

anyway i hope there's not a grunge revival

D

droid

Proper Jungle.

Post-digital early-mid 90's ragga (this has been due for a while).

gumdrops

yeah i think its already in effect. well theres nu shoegazers.

the jungle revial could be interesting. you might get a load of bands namechecking shy fx and remarc.

there will undoubtedly be a britpop revival.

bun-u

Trumpet Police
I think it will be the cheesier end of rave/dance music that will get dusted down. Anything made by people in pony tails, happy hardcore and handbag house...and uk garage, but with all the fun bits taken out. I can see math/post rock artists being elevated too too

Leo

anyway i hope there's not a grunge revival

ha! i still have tons of original sub pop singles from that period, i secretly hope it does happen so i can quickly unload them on ebay. i missed my previous window of opportunity when nirvana ruled the rock world...

gumdrops

anticipating a p diddy reappraisal.

i think 90s hip hop will def be in line for more mainstream canonisation/reviving etc etc.

wascal

Wild Horses
I'm waiting for the NME to come up with the new wave of new wave of new wave. Or new wave of new rave :mad:

swears

preppy-kei
The 90s never really ended culturally though, did they? There was no break like punk rock or acid house at the end of the 90s to really set the stage for a new style or attitude towards music and pop culture in general. One thing that really suprised me was that you never heard "90s" as a signifier for something a bit dated or naff during the 00s. (Like "Combat Pants? Ugh.. so 90s!")The same way "80s" was used up until about 2002, until that era was cool again. Ten years ago is always supposed to be crap, right?

Although I've got a hunch "garage" will become a signifier for all kinds of retro shenaigans in the next few years. The "post-dubstep" crowd are on the case already.

connect_icut

I'm hoping the revival of interest in shoegaze will lead people to rediscover early British post-rock groups like Disco Inferno and Bark Psychosis.

I'm also hoping for a glitch revival, although that was more a late '90s/early '00s thing, so we might have to wait a while for that one.

massrock

For some reason when i got on spotify the first things i ended up listening to was stuff like bark, insides, slowdive...catching up on some bits i hadn't heard despite being into those bands at various times. Not sure why exactly. I see there's a comprehensive DI selection on there too.

connect_icut

For some reason when i got on spotify the first things i ended up listening to was stuff like bark, insides, slowdive...catching up on some bits i hadn't heard despite being into those bands at various times. Not sure why exactly. I see there's a comprehensive DI selection on there too.

That's awesome. Anyone who knows me will be well aware that this stuff is kinda my thing. I actually have a Last FM forum dedicated to it (http://www.last.fm/group/UK+Post-Rock) and I write about it a lot on my blog (http://bubblegumcage3.com/tag/uk-post-rock/).

I'm glad you mentioned Insides. Most of the love directed towards UK post-rock goes straight to DI and BP, while really great, important stuff like Insides and early Moonshake gets forgotten. I'm a huge Papa Sprain fan too. The were AR Kane proteges.

massrock

I loved Insides. Actually I loved Earwig (precursor group) first and would go see them quite a bit around north London when they were playing. Same with Moonshake, Bark Psychosis and others. Insides did an hour long version of Clear Skin at a club called Quirky at the Vox in Brixton. Not sure if they did many other shows.

Hex was quite a big record for me but for some reason never got round to Codename Dustsucker until the aforementioned Spotify trawling. Same with some of the later Slowdive records. Grew tired of Slowdive quite quickly at the time.

That leads us on to Laika and Ecstacy Of St. Theresa...

connect_icut

I loved Insides. Actually I loved Earwig (precursor group) first and would go see them quite a bit around north London when they were playing. Same with Moonshake, Bark Psychosis and others. Insides did an hour long version of Clear Skin at a club called Quirky at the Vox in Brixton. Not sure if they did many other shows.
Hex was quite a big record for me but for some reason never got round to Codename Dustsucker until the aforementioned Spotify trawling. Same with some of the later Slowdive records. Grew tired of Slowdive quite quickly at the time.
That leads us on to Laika and Ecstacy Of St. Theresa...

Obviously, this whole area is a huge black hole for me. Just follow those links in my previous post and you'll see how much and how obsessively I've already written about British post-rock and related stuff. Therefore, I can't go into it too much here, other than to mention that the post-Loop projects are worth hearing if you like this scene/era - especially Motion Pool by Main and Psychedelische Musique by The Hair & Skin Trading Company.

connect_icut

ironic Tortoise revivalism

I like a lot of the early American post-rock too, especially Tortoise, Labradford and Bowery Electric. I don't see it as having much potential for ironic revival but then that might be a problem with a lot of '90s stuff, as so much of it was already saturated with knowingness and irony. I mean, Beck circa Mellow Gold/Odelay seems ripe for affectionate piss-taking but how do you make an affectionate piss-take of and affectionate piss-take?

Ironic grunge revival though, definitely. Ambient house too.