PDA

View Full Version : 90s revival: starting prices

bun-u
09-02-2010, 03:18 PM
Pop pickers, the 20 year rule means that the Teenies will be delving into 90s - which I personally think was a pretty good decade for music (from my two and a half as a fully fledged music fan). History also tells us that it isn't always the obvious stuff that gets the revived, so what are you putting money on? (i.e. artists, scenes, style, fashions...)

BareBones
09-02-2010, 03:21 PM
rave's already made a comeback hasn't it, you got 'where were u in 92' and nu-rave and all that.

anyway i hope there's not a grunge revival

droid
09-02-2010, 03:25 PM
Proper Jungle.

Post-digital early-mid 90's ragga (this has been due for a while).

gumdrops
09-02-2010, 03:38 PM
yeah i think its already in effect. well theres nu shoegazers.

the jungle revial could be interesting. you might get a load of bands namechecking shy fx and remarc.

there will undoubtedly be a britpop revival.

bun-u
09-02-2010, 03:47 PM
I think it will be the cheesier end of rave/dance music that will get dusted down. Anything made by people in pony tails, happy hardcore and handbag house...and uk garage, but with all the fun bits taken out. I can see math/post rock artists being elevated too too

nomos
09-02-2010, 04:24 PM
i've heard that diplo is now 'really into' 94-ish jungle. :rolleyes:

Leo
09-02-2010, 04:25 PM
anyway i hope there's not a grunge revival

ha! i still have tons of original sub pop singles from that period, i secretly hope it does happen so i can quickly unload them on ebay. i missed my previous window of opportunity when nirvana ruled the rock world...

massrock
09-02-2010, 04:29 PM
anticipating the inevitable rash of the frank and walters inspired beat combos.

mistersloane
09-02-2010, 04:29 PM
Sebadoh and DMX.

BareBones
09-02-2010, 04:31 PM
that would be an odd collaboration

gumdrops
09-02-2010, 04:35 PM
anticipating a p diddy reappraisal.

i think 90s hip hop will def be in line for more mainstream canonisation/reviving etc etc.

wascal
09-02-2010, 05:04 PM
I'm waiting for the NME to come up with the new wave of new wave of new wave. Or new wave of new rave :mad:

swears
09-02-2010, 05:25 PM
The 90s never really ended culturally though, did they? There was no break like punk rock or acid house at the end of the 90s to really set the stage for a new style or attitude towards music and pop culture in general. One thing that really suprised me was that you never heard "90s" as a signifier for something a bit dated or naff during the 00s. (Like "Combat Pants? Ugh.. so 90s!")The same way "80s" was used up until about 2002, until that era was cool again. Ten years ago is always supposed to be crap, right?

Although I've got a hunch "garage" will become a signifier for all kinds of retro shenaigans in the next few years. The "post-dubstep" crowd are on the case already.

connect_icut
09-02-2010, 05:31 PM
I'm hoping the revival of interest in shoegaze will lead people to rediscover early British post-rock groups like Disco Inferno and Bark Psychosis.

I'm also hoping for a glitch revival, although that was more a late '90s/early '00s thing, so we might have to wait a while for that one.

massrock
09-02-2010, 05:37 PM
For some reason when i got on spotify the first things i ended up listening to was stuff like bark, insides, slowdive...catching up on some bits i hadn't heard despite being into those bands at various times. Not sure why exactly. I see there's a comprehensive DI selection on there too.

connect_icut
09-02-2010, 05:51 PM
For some reason when i got on spotify the first things i ended up listening to was stuff like bark, insides, slowdive...catching up on some bits i hadn't heard despite being into those bands at various times. Not sure why exactly. I see there's a comprehensive DI selection on there too.

That's awesome. Anyone who knows me will be well aware that this stuff is kinda my thing. I actually have a Last FM forum dedicated to it (http://www.last.fm/group/UK+Post-Rock) and I write about it a lot on my blog (http://bubblegumcage3.com/tag/uk-post-rock/).

I'm glad you mentioned Insides. Most of the love directed towards UK post-rock goes straight to DI and BP, while really great, important stuff like Insides and early Moonshake gets forgotten. I'm a huge Papa Sprain fan too. The were AR Kane proteges.

massrock
09-02-2010, 06:06 PM
I loved Insides. Actually I loved Earwig (precursor group) first and would go see them quite a bit around north London when they were playing. Same with Moonshake, Bark Psychosis and others. Insides did an hour long version of Clear Skin at a club called Quirky at the Vox in Brixton. Not sure if they did many other shows.

Hex was quite a big record for me but for some reason never got round to Codename Dustsucker until the aforementioned Spotify trawling. Same with some of the later Slowdive records. Grew tired of Slowdive quite quickly at the time.

That leads us on to Laika and Ecstacy Of St. Theresa...

connect_icut
09-02-2010, 06:11 PM
I loved Insides. Actually I loved Earwig (precursor group) first and would go see them quite a bit around north London when they were playing. Same with Moonshake, Bark Psychosis and others. Insides did an hour long version of Clear Skin at a club called Quirky at the Vox in Brixton. Not sure if they did many other shows.
Hex was quite a big record for me but for some reason never got round to Codename Dustsucker until the aforementioned Spotify trawling. Same with some of the later Slowdive records. Grew tired of Slowdive quite quickly at the time.
That leads us on to Laika and Ecstacy Of St. Theresa...

Obviously, this whole area is a huge black hole for me. Just follow those links in my previous post and you'll see how much and how obsessively I've already written about British post-rock and related stuff. Therefore, I can't go into it too much here, other than to mention that the post-Loop projects are worth hearing if you like this scene/era - especially Motion Pool by Main and Psychedelische Musique by The Hair & Skin Trading Company.

nomos
09-02-2010, 06:27 PM
ironic Tortoise revivalism

connect_icut
09-02-2010, 06:51 PM
ironic Tortoise revivalism

I like a lot of the early American post-rock too, especially Tortoise, Labradford and Bowery Electric. I don't see it as having much potential for ironic revival but then that might be a problem with a lot of '90s stuff, as so much of it was already saturated with knowingness and irony. I mean, Beck circa Mellow Gold/Odelay seems ripe for affectionate piss-taking but how do you make an affectionate piss-take of and affectionate piss-take?

Ironic grunge revival though, definitely. Ambient house too.

computer_rock
09-02-2010, 06:59 PM
haddaway reappraisal

massrock
09-02-2010, 07:02 PM
Ironic revivalism = 00s so that's not due for a reload for another few years.

grave
09-02-2010, 07:33 PM
Maybe people will start making new music again?

wascal
09-02-2010, 07:47 PM

Which would still be tenuously associated to some long forgotten 90's fad by lazy journalists no doubt

connect_icut
09-02-2010, 07:49 PM
Is there some stuff that's too inherently uncool to get revived in the usual 20-year time-frame? I mean, prog was primarily a '70s phenomenon but it didn't really get revived until the '00s. Maybe the same will be true of Orb-style ambient house.

massrock
09-02-2010, 07:57 PM
Ambient House was kind of a knowing gag to begin with.

Also it could be claimed that ambient dub, along with trip-hop, has enjoyed a massive revival in the shape of certain types of dubstep.

nomos
09-02-2010, 08:03 PM
I don't see it as having much potential for ironic revival
yeah i was just trying to be clever ;)

bun-u
09-02-2010, 08:40 PM
Is there some stuff that's too inherently uncool to get revived in the usual 20-year time-frame? I mean, prog was primarily a '70s phenomenon but it didn't really get revived until the '00s. Maybe the same will be true of Orb-style ambient house.

yes there's some truth in this definitely. also while 'innovators' will get their dues earlier (usually around 10-15 years), revivals normally end with those who didn't really care much for innovation, just wanted to make a lush, polished version of existing music. Like for the 70s, krautrock was revived in the late 80s whilst now it's all fleetwood & steely dan

connect_icut
09-02-2010, 09:48 PM
Ambient House was kind of a knowing gag to begin with.
Also it could be claimed that ambient dub, along with trip-hop, has enjoyed a massive revival in the shape of certain types of dubstep.

All very true. Actually, ambient house probably was the ironic '90s prog revival. Maybe the influence of scenes and genres comes through in a mediated form first - either as a key influence on a fundamentally new genre or in jokey, ironic form (ambient house was a prog revival in both of these senses). Then, maybe the influence re-emerges, uncut about 10 years later (although, for all the people bigging-up prog, I can't think of anyone actually playing it straight up right now).

Perhaps dubstep is a foreshadowing of the '90s revival - '90s influences mediated through a fundamentally new sound. (More speculatively, perhaps wonky is the ironic rave-influenced equivalent.) In any case, it seems significant how much left-field dubstep artists like Shackleton owe to UK post-rock types like Kevin Martin and Mick Harris and that both those people have been making very dusbteppy music recently - King Midas Sound's Waiting for You and Scorn's Stealth.

massrock
09-02-2010, 10:09 PM
How much talk about prog is there? Not denying it's there, I know a lot of stuff has come up for hip reappraisal in the last few years. Diagonal (http://www.myspace.com/diagonalband) are pretty good anyway, and definitely wear their prog on their sleeves.

Also on the dubstep connections Appleblim's old band were a bit post-rock and prog too.

michael
09-02-2010, 10:19 PM
Stuff that sounds like rave, trip-hop, shoegazer all definitely around already, not sure if that constitutes a revival of any sort yet.

I reckon it'll be more trad Madchester shit, grunge, etc. At least that'll get the mainstream attention. If it's anything like the 80s revivalism it'll take towards the end of the decade before any of the pop norms get thoroughly entrenched.

I dunno. I know this is probably screamingly obvious, but it's not like trends conform to decades at all anyway, so it's a bit confusing to me how to measure when a trend "really" took place, either the first time or as a revival. For example was the big comeback of Euro synthpop type sounds electroclash stuff around 2000 or the total mainstreaming of those kind of sounds into e.g. Rihanna, Beyonce singles years later? *shrug* I'm actually not sure I give a shit. :D

luka
09-02-2010, 11:54 PM
every single thing will get exhumed and revived without exception.

Loki
10-02-2010, 09:06 AM

this would be a great album title... maybe for a 90s compilation of bands that began then and are still going now.... Motown Junk could be on there, some of the early Blur songs (that one with the girl on the hippo), Autechre...

swears
10-02-2010, 10:22 AM
http://thequietus.com/articles/03361-oneohtrix-point-never-rifts-album-review

Early 90s ambient/new age revivalism. This album is class, btw.

baboon2004
10-02-2010, 10:27 AM
I want a shoegaze/early post-rock revival. We need more stuff that sounds like Slowdive and Bark Psychosis. Don't we?

And I must second the Haddaway reappraisal. We just ignored that man because he was asking questions we didn't know how to answer. That shit was deep.

BareBones
10-02-2010, 10:42 AM
the singer from phats n small is now david gest's assistant or something and a year or two ago i saw him having to lick 1,000 stamps for all of gest's christmas cards (i know it was a thousand cos i was in the post office when gest bought 'em)

gumdrops
10-02-2010, 11:41 AM
im waiting for a lenny kravitz revival. considering how ok everyone is with retroism nowadays, he should be seen as an innovator now right?

swears
10-02-2010, 11:55 AM
im waiting for a lenny kravitz revival. considering how ok everyone is with retroism nowadays, he should be seen as an innovator now right?

Justice recently did a remix of one of his tunes, tres chic.

gumdrops
10-02-2010, 11:58 AM
i saw a clip of a session from his new album (its more of a funk album apparently). it sounded pretty good.

woops
10-02-2010, 12:07 PM

pay attention - there is no music it's all based on african drums.

if you disagree you are a RACIST

massrock
10-02-2010, 12:30 PM
Yeah 70s synth and new age music is def a bit of a thing with some of the lo-fi and 'noise' crew, has been for a while. I guess it follows on from other 'hippie' music. Which is cool but also annoys me a bit as I know how lots of those people, at least where I lived, were completely myopically dismissive of anything like that (and anything related to house / techno / rave) for so long. Always the way though.

Mr. Tea
10-02-2010, 01:04 PM

I'm sure I speak for everyone here when I say that I hope 'nu-metal' stays dead and buried for as long as possible. :eek:

routes
10-02-2010, 01:59 PM
nu-metal 2.0. wannabe grime mcs fronting beatdown hardcore style bands. watch for the BBK teeshirt.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRCJUiQUTUs

BareBones
10-02-2010, 02:10 PM
Oh god!

zhao
10-02-2010, 02:22 PM
not sure if has been mentioned but i would like to see a new wave of "illbient". maybe under a different flag as that one is a bit tattered and worn...

bun-u
10-02-2010, 02:25 PM
not sure if has been mentioned but i would like to see a new wave of "illbient". maybe under a different flag as that one is a bit tattered and worn...

funny you should that zhao, illbient/crooklyn dub is exactly what I thought when I listened to your Fusion 2 cd

jenks
10-02-2010, 02:53 PM
Would love to see a 2010 version of Bongwater

zhao
10-02-2010, 03:04 PM
funny you should that zhao, illbient/crooklyn dub is exactly what I thought when I listened to your Fusion 2 cd

i'm hoping for an offshoot of Wonky in this general psychedelic subterranean direction... i want to talk to you about the CD too.

Woebot
10-02-2010, 03:12 PM
the way these revivals go (and taking the cue from the 70s Italo Revival and 80s Minimal Synth Revival) it will be something that was completely taken for granted and dismissed in an off-hand manner - but which is heavily stamped with that decade's zeit/fingerprint which will be revived....also something that there is a huge quantity of.

....so, i dunno, brooklyn house music or (even - dread to think) tribal house (all that cr*p) or maybe euro trance (kox box reappraisal long overdue).

ie not the obv candidates. lol at diplo and jungle of 1994.

Kate Mossad
10-02-2010, 03:29 PM
The 90s never really ended culturally though, did they? There was no break like punk rock or acid house at the end of the 90s to really set the stage for a new style or attitude towards music and pop culture in general.

Napster (1999-2001) changed everything in terms of 'attitude towards music and pop culture in general'.

routes
10-02-2010, 03:33 PM
what about that horrendous tinchy pop grime effort that sampled you're not alone by olive.

Kate Mossad
10-02-2010, 03:33 PM
http://thequietus.com/articles/03361...s-album-review

Agreed, check out Emeralds as well.

connect_icut
10-02-2010, 05:25 PM
the way these revivals go... it will be something that was completely taken for granted and dismissed in an off-hand manner - but which is heavily stamped with that decade's zeit/fingerprint which will be revived....also something that there is a huge quantity of...

That sounds like a description of early post-rock to me. I'm reminded of how the sub-headline of that Pitchfork article on "the lost generation" said something about bands who invented the '90s without anyone noticing. Okay, so there may not be that much of it but I still keep finding more.

Regarding the illbient thing, isn't a lot of dubstep somewhat illbient sounding?

Loki
10-02-2010, 05:29 PM

mmm... loads of dull thuds in there... Was more or less constantly disappointed by DJ Spooky, who seemed to talk a much better game in theory than practice (cf: a LOT of mid-90s USA ambient/hip hop crossovers)

Loki
10-02-2010, 05:35 PM
Regarding the illbient thing, isn't a lot of dubstep somewhat illbient sounding?

thought illbient is a term that better serves the hiphopping of Moon Wiring Club etc

http://loki23.blogspot.com/2009/03/moon-wiring-club.html

zhao
10-02-2010, 05:58 PM
mmm... loads of dull thuds in there...

no more or less dull thuds than in any other "genre" surely? reckon i find 1 quality dubstep tune in 10, if that. (and 1 qualtiy D'n'B track in probably 50)

swears
10-02-2010, 06:56 PM
I'm sure I speak for everyone here when I say that I hope 'nu-metal' stays dead and buried for as long as possible. :eek:

A few of my mates were into it, and I thought it was shit. But I look back fondly on it now even though it was objectively terrible. Limp Bizkit just make me laugh now. It's weird, loads of people who were not into music at all (or maybe just chart pop and eurodance) suddenly started to rock huge baggy combats with a wallet chain and black Vans.

Leo
10-02-2010, 07:59 PM

i wouldn't mind a reunion of "we", the group with dj olive/once11/lloop who put out three pretty cool psych/dub albums on asphodel and liquid sky music back in the late 90s.

don_quixote
10-02-2010, 08:28 PM
cos l-i-m-p biz-kit is right here!!

swears
10-02-2010, 08:49 PM
http://jaypinkerton.com/spiderman/02.jpg

zhao
10-02-2010, 08:55 PM
EARLY MEGO RECORDS TYPE STUFF.

that General Magic album. those Fridge Tracks. synchopated analog and digital noise and post-techno.

that stuff was the fucking best.

before the label got super difficult atonal arhythmic jarring pandemonium.

Mr. Tea
10-02-2010, 09:48 PM
I remember being sort of appalled/impressed by the depths of Sick Boy's Durst/Bizkit knowledge on here a while back. Swears is right, the whole thing is not without an almost touching element of comedy.

continuum
10-02-2010, 10:03 PM
if the 90s were just a continuation of the 80s (as mentioned upthread) then this must qualify for a position in this thread

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/3KWWXWAOPZM&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/3KWWXWAOPZM&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

connect_icut
10-02-2010, 10:13 PM
EARLY MEGO RECORDS TYPE STUFF.
that General Magic album. those Fridge Tracks. synchopated analog and digital noise and post-techno.
that stuff was the fucking best.
before the label got super difficult atonal arhythmic jarring pandemonium.

I love pretty much every era of Mego (and glitch generally) but the early stuff is logically the stuff that will come back first. I can see No Backup by farmers manual and Frantz by General Magic being albums that people would enjoy (re)discovering. Maybe we'll start to hear more glitchy, disruptive sounds finding their way into wonky, dubstep and minimal techno. I could see Max for Live being important in making that happen.

In any case, glitch has already come back into favour somewhat, at a grass-roots level. Maybe a real revival will kick off when magazines and websites start putting Oval's 94 Diskont in their "best albums of all time"-type lists (where it belongs!)

zhao
11-02-2010, 07:26 AM
glitch has remained alive... if not completely well (heh). there's a fair bit of it in current electro acoustic music, a little bit in some minimal techno, on the box cutting side of d.step, and even shows up in the odd pop song here and there... sometimes it is used well, but most times as a gimmick...

but what i was referring to with early Mego is the early 90s left field electronic spirit of experimentation before things settled down. that Frantz album was so crazy, and almost bursting with ideas. breaking all the rules of dance music, and making it better... Mille Plateux in the early to mid 90s... and you are right early Oval discs so timeless and beautiful -- that's kind of what i'm thinking of, the period before this music became a little bit of a caricature of itself...

Kuma
11-02-2010, 07:36 AM
Monsters of Rave tour.

Orbital., Chemicals and the Prodigy to play corporate branded fields across Europe and America.

Loki
11-02-2010, 08:19 AM
no more or less dull thuds than in any other "genre" surely? reckon i find 1 quality dubstep tune in 10, if that. (and 1 qualtiy D'n'B track in probably 50)

Good point, well made. I guess I felt a little cheated at illbient.... The Wire made it much more exciting than I could ever hear.... they didn't really try with dubstep though had a little go at Grime before losing interest.....

absolutely agree with 1 in 50 in D n B but a slightly better ratio for Jungle?

As for techno....

Loki
11-02-2010, 08:24 AM
Monsters of Rave tour.

Orbital., Chemicals and the Prodigy to play corporate branded fields across Europe and America.

would be great, except that my knees have gone ; the true legacy of rave - can't believe anyone worried about the psychological effect of raving...

still, i could probably still wave my arms around for Orbital...

petergunn
11-02-2010, 09:25 AM
nu-metal 2.0. wannabe grime mcs fronting beatdown hardcore style bands. watch for the BBK teeshirt.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRCJUiQUTUs

jesus, it's like Right Said Fred mixed with Leeway...

bun-u
11-02-2010, 10:17 AM
glitch has remained alive... if not completely well (heh). there's a fair bit of it in current electro acoustic music, a little bit in some minimal techno, on the box cutting side of d.step, and even shows up in the odd pop song here and there... sometimes it is used well, but most times as a gimmick...

but what i was referring to with early Mego is the early 90s left field electronic spirit of experimentation before things settled down. that Frantz album was so crazy, and almost bursting with ideas. breaking all the rules of dance music, and making it better... Mille Plateux in the early to mid 90s... and you are right early Oval discs so timeless and beautiful -- that's kind of what i'm thinking of, the period before this music became a little bit of a caricature of itself...

I concur re: Mega/Oval. I also think the glitch case will be helped by Radiohead's enduring 'Kid A'...sometimes revivals need a fairly mainstream calling card. I can see Steve Albini/Aphex/Jeff Mills all getting the 'season at the Barbican' treatment by the end of the decade and someone from that time will get the Rick Rubin makeover and reappraisal - maybe Michael Stipe.
An outside tip is a godawful PWEI/Neds/Jesus Jones/Carter USM influenced indie rebirth

connect_icut
11-02-2010, 05:29 PM
The glitch thing reminds me of something that's going to be a problem for revivalists in this decade and the next, which is that nothing seems to end completely any more - there's always a fairly substantial group of die-hards who will just keep ploughing away at any given furrow. Glitch is a perfect example and I have a personal stake in this, having been producing and releasing glitchy electronic since the early '00s. Meanwhile, first-wave glitchers like Alva Noto have just kept going - long enough to come back into critical favour, somewhat. And the enduring popularity of Fennesz has spawned a whole scene of bucolic electronica and post-rock acts trading in glitchy textures and chiming guitar melodies - Greg Davis, Tape, Mountains, Konntinent, Ian Epps, M Rosner, Belong, Mark Templeton and on and on.

zhao
11-02-2010, 06:35 PM
tape is much more than a fennesz knock off though... i like fennesz last album much more than a lot of his previous work...

connect_icut
11-02-2010, 07:10 PM
tape is much more than a fennesz knock off though... i like fennesz last album much more than a lot of his previous work...

Just to clarify, I didn't mean to suggest that any of those artists were mere Fennesz rip-offs, just that he opened the door that allowed them to come into existence. I like all of the artists listed a great deal, especially Tape as a matter of fact.

skull kid
12-02-2010, 11:37 PM
i think glitch reached too far into the last decade for it to be revived this early. alot of rnb and hip hop, and of course plenty of house and techno, adopted the micro-detail approach to production that labels like mille plateaux and mego had already blueprinted in the 90s

remember that there is still alot of music from the 80s that has yet to be reappraissed - skinny puppy/front 242 style ebm, new beat, big synclavier style mid-late 80s rock in the vein of inxs, tears for fears, sylvian/frippertronics style new age music, ON U MOTHERFUCKING SOUND, holger hiller and ryuichi sakamoto's sample based experiments etcetcetcetc

skull kid
12-02-2010, 11:40 PM
and anyway, the 90s revival has been well underway in european house music since at least late 2006

mms
13-02-2010, 11:51 AM
there's really actually very little glitch stuff around nowdays and there was never really that much genuinely, ie stuff that works with errors in software etc, cos the errors have been ironed out and the relationship to crackers and cracked software has changed, its always fucking annoying to hear bad reviewers use the word glitchy in describing totally glitchless music, rather than describing it properly in terms of how they hear it and rhythm etc.

mego stuff, been listening to hecker's sun pandemonium, probably the things you're not into in the mego catalogue zhao and also sheer hellish miasma recently, but fucking awesome sound. don't reckon heckers really topped that, the acid in the style of david tudor thing wasn't much cop.

mms
13-02-2010, 11:55 AM
http://thequietus.com/articles/03361-oneohtrix-point-never-rifts-album-review

yeah it's lush i go to sleep to it haha.

emeralds also new excepter double cd of 'long distance music'

connect_icut
23-02-2010, 07:17 PM
Yes to Oneohtrix Point Never. More of an '80s revival thing though, surely? Here's my take:

http://bubblegumcage3.com/2010/02/22/oneohtrix-point-never-zones-without-people-arbor-lp/

Also yes to Florian Hecker and Kevin Drumm too. I love the bonkers side of Mego. Ever heard explorers_we by Farmers Manual?

mms
23-02-2010, 09:32 PM
Yes to Oneohtrix Point Never. More of an '80s revival thing though, surely? Here's my take:

http://bubblegumcage3.com/2010/02/22/oneohtrix-point-never-zones-without-people-arbor-lp/

Also yes to Florian Hecker and Kevin Drumm too. I love the bonkers side of Mego. Ever heard explorers_we by Farmers Manual?

i have it under good authority that oneohtrix point nevers new album is on mego.

connect_icut
24-02-2010, 12:24 AM
i have it under good authority that oneohtrix point nevers new album is on mego.

I can't tell whether or not you're shitting me. In any case, there is a link - Peter Rehberg who runs Mego put an album out on No Fun, which seems to have become OPN's main label.

Which reminds me... The new Fenn O'Berg album is fantastic and really evokes the heyday of Mego at its most bonkers.

massrock
16-03-2010, 05:12 PM
http://www.dissensus.com/showthread.php?2353-The-Moose-revival-starts-here.&p=30625

craner
16-03-2010, 05:22 PM
The Moose revival? Fucking hell. Didn't they have the worst singer in the history of music?

massrock
16-03-2010, 05:31 PM
The worst singer in the history of shoegazing would be a strong enough indictment.

massrock
16-03-2010, 05:32 PM
But then you know, the voice is just there to be used as another instrument, a texture. ;-)

connect_icut
16-03-2010, 06:21 PM
I saw Moose play in the very early-90s, right when they were getting a lot of hype. It was at Hereford Lads Club and I was one of about 20 people in attendance. Moose were a bit rubbish but the support act were (the then virtually unknown) Stereolab, who were fantastic. I went out and bought their Super Electric 10" pretty soon after that.

massrock
16-03-2010, 06:46 PM
Were Moose hyped? Blimey, I suppose they were a bit, by NME?

I honestly don't remember them that well, wasn't that taken with them I don't think, but must have seen them play quite a few times at the Camden Falcon etc. Was going through some old tickets and fliers (from when I used to keep such things, and go out a lot) the other day and they're on loads of Vertigo Club listings, supporting The Becketts and stuff like that. Also have a ticket stub from a Moose headline gig at ULU 10th Jan 1992. Maybe that was the peak of their fame? God I'm sure that's all really exciting for everyone. ;-)

Saw Stereolab loads at The White Horse in Hampstead where Too Pure did a night and yes they were really good. The Farfisa through that shitty PA was harsh though.

connect_icut
16-03-2010, 08:58 PM
There was a famous story at the time about how Moose played to 10 people in Nottingham (or somewhere like that) the same day they got their first (and presumably only) Melody Maker cover story.

I think they stopped being a shoegaze band after a while and did a kind of High Llamas-style easy pop thing.

craner
16-03-2010, 11:15 PM
Good Lord, are you lot still talking about Moose?

craner
16-03-2010, 11:16 PM
Watch out! Sarah Palin! With a rifle!

massrock
16-03-2010, 11:48 PM
Sweet Jesus!

massrock
17-03-2010, 10:02 AM
I'll get my Revolver.

marke
18-03-2010, 05:57 PM
i ... ON U MOTHERFUCKING SOUND ...

reading this last night mde me go, 'oh yeahhhhh'. so today i spent all day checking out my pay it all back cds, and various others.
damn right.
loved it all so much more than i expected.
i may be biased, but i dont think the productions have aged badly at all.
all i'll say, is bring on the 30th anniversary boxset that has been promised.
though knowing on-u, it wont hit the shops until the 40th anniversary.