John Betjeman - not the poetry, the records...

DannyL

Wild Horses
Possibly we should have another round? I'll start a thread when I get a moment....

Love that "Late Flowering Love" LP - it's absolutely hilarious, whimsical, silly but sincere at the same time. I put that track on the mixtape as it was the most fonkay. Not heard "Banana Blush" though. Still available very cheap as well.

Woebot

it is twee stuff BUT also kind of honest for that.

despite what the world says i think to be a white brit is kind of twee.

jenks

thread death
Don't let luka read this - he's already accused me of being twee on another thread- fair cop, I suppose

IdleRich

IdleRich
I love the way he sounds kind of excited and slightly out of breath as if he's doing something unaccustomed - like someone a bit old going on a fairground ride for the first time in years or something.

martin

----
Funnily enough Danny L put 'Licorice fields of Pontefract' on a mixtape for me in the last Dissensus cassete swap, which I reviewed as 'a little daft and whimsical' for my tastes at the time. :slanted:

That's great, made my day. How brilliant would that be as the theme tune to a football world cup?

Shame nobody did the same with Patrick Moore enthusing about the galaxy.

woops

is not like other people
f*** me how massive are those fanfares.
is it too late to get patrick moore pon?
imagining a club night where that first tune is the theme
it's the bits between J.'s poetry that do it
large brass big up jeremy dellar

DannyL

Wild Horses
One of the things that gets me about the "Late Flowering Lust" LP is the subject matter suggested by the title. He's lamenting the loss of youth partly as well as acknowledging his own continued sex drive - lust seems to be a theme in most of the songs - and the conflicts between the two Produces a mix of feelings in me - reassuring almost to know that part of yourself doesn't die? Sad at the inevitable decline into old age? It's a very melancholy record really. I actually think the music adds a great deal to the title track - it's very dark in fact.

Last edited: