Music documentaries

woops

is not like other people
I'm looking for some nice and fun documentaries about bands and music so that I can watch them.
I've seen Dig! and the Lightning Bolt one, and I'm going to watch one about Bob Moog next.
There's one about Luna that I haven't seen but it got me thinking about starting this thread.
Recommendations please, go

muser

just watched this the other day and really enjoyed it (if you're in the uk) http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00r5wwc/Storyville_20092010_Rise_Up_Reggae_Star/ See the rise of Turbulence (Never realised how un-accepted he was (and still is to a degree(?) in JA but got to tour alot around Europe still). Aswell as the videos on VBS to see some of the real JA and parties.

Latch Drom - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0107376/

Following the path of Romanay gypsys through the music to Eastern Europe (I used to have the DVD and it got totally ruined and scrathed would love to watch it again though.

Last edited:

woops

is not like other people
Good tips all round, turns out 'some yo yo stuff' with Beefheart and Modulations are available to watch online.
A couple more I forgot, The Year Punk Broke (Sonic Youth)
the Rolling Stones one whose name is too rude to type, that I haven't seen
and Bob Dylan of course :/

grizzleb

The one on BBC a few months about Kraut Rock was excellent.

Looking for a doc called 'Mr. De - A Detroit Story' which looks badass but I can't see it anywhere.

woops

is not like other people
Thanks for the tip about Modulations, I'm not sure that one has aged well though.
I kept expecting Stuart Maconie to pop up haha. It was DJ Spooky instead!
I suppose I'm looking more for single-artist films than scene overview thinkpiece type stuff.

nomos

Administrator
Really enjoyed Neil Young - Don't be Denied, which I think was a joint BBC/PBS production from 2008. I think Brits can watch it on iPlayer, torrents for the rest of us. Might be able to watch it on the American Masters site in the States.

What particularly struck me about it was the opening portion about his early bands in Winnipeg - playing at high schools and community centres (my parents saw him all the time that way). There's something very intimate about the portrayal of the time and place that was vastly better than a Canadian doc about the same period that I recently saw. His monstrous side shows through a bit too - e.g. cold-eyed comments about band mates who 'got left behind' because they couldn't stand up to their parents.

Also got We Call It Techno (Germany) for Christmas. Worth it for the old footage and interviews about the East/West musical traffic just before and after the Wall fell. Also nice to have something that fills in the European side of techno's history, after so much about Detroit.

matt b

Indexing all opinion
For band docs, I think 'we jam econo' is pretty unassailable:

edit: fcuking broken youtube embed

Anyway, it's the history of Minutemen/ D Boon and is awesome, despite the presence of Flea ;)

Last edited:

grizzleb

No way!! I've been looking for this for ages, thanks muchly. I almost bought it off amazon japan but decided against it. :cool: