PDA

View Full Version : Vinyl Records Maintenance

rivetrenuck
05-03-2010, 03:05 PM
Hey all,

I need some tips on Vinyl Maintenance. and how to fix certain things. Being new to records.

I have recently recieved the new Advisory Circle - Mind how you go record. and guess what. in sheer excitment, spilled apple juice over it! i have not even listened to it yet!, now there is a repeating click alll the way thru certain tracks.:mad:

is there anyway of reversing this or improving this? or is the damage done and its time to count my losses and quit crying over spilled juice!

p.s. please dont be discourged from lending me records!

john eden
05-03-2010, 03:32 PM
apple juice should come off with a bit of warm water I reckon.

If not try some warm water and a little teeny bit of washing up liquid.

Don't use boiling water or very hot water.

Should be fine.

Leo
05-03-2010, 04:23 PM
yes, very little mild soap, then rinse. also sometimes cleans better if you go with the grooves (around the record) instead against the grooves (from inside label to outside).

nomos
05-03-2010, 06:16 PM
i started this thread a few years ago when i realized i had a problem. i'm better now.

http://www.dissensus.com/showthread.php?3603-%28Not%29-taking-care-of-your-records

Woebot
05-03-2010, 06:16 PM
Hey all,

I need some tips on Vinyl Maintenance. and how to fix certain things. Being new to records.

I have recently recieved the new Advisory Circle - Mind how you go record. and guess what. in sheer excitment, spilled apple juice over it! i have not even listened to it yet!, now there is a repeating click alll the way thru certain tracks.:mad:

is there anyway of reversing this or improving this? or is the damage done and its time to count my losses and quit crying over spilled juice!

p.s. please dont be discourged from lending me records!

COLD WATER.

stick it under the cold tap with apple juice.

generally solvents are over-rated. some geeks say they damage the polymers of vinyl. the biggest record geek i know swears by cold water. and i do too.

endorsed officially by me.

Woebot
05-03-2010, 06:17 PM
washing up liquid.

washing up liquid!!!!!

are you out of your mind!!!

:p

john eden
05-03-2010, 06:34 PM
I bow to woebot's soaperior knowledge in this domain.

mixed_biscuits
05-03-2010, 09:02 PM
Do you wait for the record to dry naturally or soak up/dab up the water?

craner
05-03-2010, 09:14 PM
Dusting your house regularly also helps.

rivetrenuck
05-03-2010, 09:15 PM
thank goodness i didnt use washing up liquid, something just didnt sound right, but hey i have totally fucked the record up now, Auntie gave me an ancient anti static record cleaner and its just crumbled all over the record, now its worse then before. clicks, and skips and repeats.

Side A officially gone. thank god for the the free MP3 downloads :P

EDIT: i think this record is actually cursed, for some wierd reason the tone arm is skating on Side B, the side that was unaffected . i have experimented with other records and no skating. but as soon as i put this one, the tons arm just flings around. How bloody bizzare!

Leo
05-03-2010, 09:43 PM
EDIT: i think this record is actually cursed, for some wierd reason the tone arm is skating on Side B, the side that was unaffected . i have experimented with other records and no skating. but as soon as i put this one, the tons arm just flings around. How bloody bizzare!

well, it is on ghostbox.:p

rivetrenuck
14-03-2010, 03:40 PM
Hie all, more silly questions.

I currently have my counter balance set to the maximum. My cousin told me that this is alright but i could wear out a record.

Any thoughts on this, and if this is true then how should manipulate a counter balance?

Bang Diddley
15-03-2010, 10:24 AM
I recently dug out my vinyl collection from my Dads loft where the records have been in cardboard boxes for years etc etc. . . . is there anyway to straiten a warped record.

Bang Diddley
15-03-2010, 10:33 AM
Hie all, more silly questions.

I currently have my counter balance set to the maximum. My cousin told me that this is alright but i could wear out a record.

Any thoughts on this, and if this is true then how should manipulate a counter balance?

Probably but only after prolonged play. I've heard of people putting a coin on to get more bass which sound mad.

If I understand you correctly to adjust the counter balance you need to move the counter weight so that the stylus hovers over the record until you release the lever for the stylus to drop.

john eden
15-03-2010, 11:14 AM
I recently dug out my vinyl collection from my Dads loft where the records have been in cardboard boxes for years etc etc. . . . is there anyway to straiten a warped record.

There's all kinds of mythical techniques to do this but I think the short answer is no.

Things I have heard have included placing it between two sheets of glass in the sunshine and laying it flat under a big pile of books. My hit rate above isn't exactly great so I won't recommend any of these!

droid
15-03-2010, 12:31 PM
AFAIK, washing up liquid is the way to go. Think it was waxpoetics and some crate digger who first put me on to it. I know people who swear by it:

http://www.google.ie/search?q=washing+up+liquid+record+cleaing&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

Warped records - stick em in the oven between two sheets of glass 12-15 minutes at about 120F:

http://www.google.ie/search?q=Warped+records+oven&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

john eden
15-03-2010, 12:39 PM
AFAIK, washing up liquid is the way to go. Think it was waxpoetics and some crate digger who first put me on to it. I know people who swear by it:

http://www.google.ie/search?q=washing+up+liquid+record+cleaing&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

Warped records - stick em in the oven between two sheets of glass 12-15 minutes at about 120F:

http://www.google.ie/search?q=Warped+records+oven&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

Yeah I'm pretty sure I've used washing up liquid before but I guess Woebot is making the point that records are oil based so on reflection that may not be a good idea.

Mind you I've only ever tried anything like this on reggae sevens I've picked up for 50p or whatever. 50p man, not 50 quid man innit.

hint
15-03-2010, 12:57 PM
Wood glue?:

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=99837&page=34

:confused:

droid
15-03-2010, 01:04 PM
AFAIK, the danger with washing up liquid is static build up?

You can get vinyl friendly brands as well I think.

nomos
15-03-2010, 01:08 PM
what's the best way to eliminate static?

john eden
15-03-2010, 01:20 PM
what's the best way to eliminate static?

good earthing, I guess.

And not wearing nylon shell suits.

I know this will come as a blow to you, Nomos. :p

john eden
15-03-2010, 01:25 PM
also this:

http://howto.wired.com/wiki/Fix_a_Warped_Record

Please note that John Eden and his family friends and liabilities (not limited to Woofah Magazine and uncarved.org) will not accept any liability from the use, or misuse of any information given in this thread, which is for entertainment purposes only.

Bang Diddley
15-03-2010, 01:54 PM
Maybe all record collectors should wear leather soled shoes to avoid static but take care not to slip and fall in the rain breaking that rare DMZ.

I like the last line of the Wired article

"Likewise, new nano materials will be developed to mix in with the vinyl to strengthen it against warps"

nomos
15-03-2010, 10:39 PM
good earthing, I guess.

And not wearing nylon shell suits.

I know this will come as a blow to you, Nomos. :p
Hmmmm, a physicist and a comedian all rolled into one :p Tell me, will static still be a problem if I switch to velour?

matmustard
16-03-2010, 12:49 AM

petergunn
17-03-2010, 11:45 PM

warm water and washing up liquid has worked for me... rinse off w/ regular water, then wipe with the grooves with a soft hankerchief... then leave to dry on a towel...

also, i have heard the mixed reviews involving rubbing alcohol... some do say it will evenetually eat away at the vinyl... i have used a mixture of half rubbing alcohol and half distilled water w/ success and have not noticed any problems... distilled water is used, b/c tap water depending on the location has stuff in it (minerals?) that is not great for vinyl...

also, no one has asked, but to remove price stickers zippo lighter fluid is the jam... i have removed 40 year old "39 cents SALE!" stickers like magic...

petergunn
17-03-2010, 11:47 PM
Wood glue?:

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=99837&page=34

:confused:

i have friends who swear by regular elmer's school glue (the white stuff)... spread it on and peel it off, like you used to do off your fingers when you were a kid... peels off the grit with it...

DannyL
18-03-2010, 08:46 AM
I've done this - the glue thing. I used woodglue. It does work well, but you have to be careful and let it dry fully. I attached a couple of paper tabs to make the peeling off easier.

nomos
24-03-2010, 03:23 PM
OK, here's a different one...

Can I use a regular alcohol-based cleaner on a dubplate? Will it eat away the acetate?

Sectionfive
09-05-2010, 02:51 PM
stick em in the oven between two sheets of glass 12-15 minutes at about 120F:

Has anyone ever done this ? (successfully) Does anyone have two sheets of glass lying around their house ?

bobbin
26-05-2010, 03:06 AM
for what it's worth, i think every record of any value that's passed through music and video exchange shops (in a dirty state or often just for the sake of it) has been cleaned with normal lighter fluid from the newsagent and one of those yellow fuzzy duster cloths.

it does evaporate really quickly so maybe it's unlikely to do damage?

it is indeed also good for removing stickers from covers. the best way is to lay something thin, bendy and plastic on top (think cheap cdr case thingies) give it a rub through the plastic and leave it a minute.

glue though! really?

DannyL
26-05-2010, 10:42 AM
yeah, needs to be PVA woodglue, the sort you can peel back easily. I've still found that several times when I've done this, there's a few gluey threads left in the grooves but I haven't done any damage yet, thank God. Defintely gets them a lot cleaner as well.

Dusty
26-05-2010, 11:15 AM
For the hardcore cleaners amongst you, you might want to read this: http://www.musicangle.com/feat.php?id=54

bobbin
26-05-2010, 02:30 PM
yeah, needs to be PVA woodglue, the sort you can peel back easily. I've still found that several times when I've done this, there's a few gluey threads left in the grooves but I haven't done any damage yet, thank God. Defintely gets them a lot cleaner as well.

hmm, guess i can see the idea with pva, makes me think of peeling it off your fingers at school! will buy some next time i go past a shop and see if it can help my beer-soaked paperclip people record.