Vinyl Records Maintenance

rivetrenuck

Hey all,

I need some tips on Vinyl Maintenance. and how to fix certain things. Being new to records.

I have recently recieved the new Advisory Circle - Mind how you go record. and guess what. in sheer excitment, spilled apple juice over it! i have not even listened to it yet!, now there is a repeating click alll the way thru certain tracks.:mad:

is there anyway of reversing this or improving this? or is the damage done and its time to count my losses and quit crying over spilled juice!

p.s. please dont be discourged from lending me records!

john eden

male pale and stale
apple juice should come off with a bit of warm water I reckon.

If not try some warm water and a little teeny bit of washing up liquid.

Don't use boiling water or very hot water.

Should be fine.

Leo

yes, very little mild soap, then rinse. also sometimes cleans better if you go with the grooves (around the record) instead against the grooves (from inside label to outside).

Woebot

Hey all,

I need some tips on Vinyl Maintenance. and how to fix certain things. Being new to records.

I have recently recieved the new Advisory Circle - Mind how you go record. and guess what. in sheer excitment, spilled apple juice over it! i have not even listened to it yet!, now there is a repeating click alll the way thru certain tracks.:mad:

is there anyway of reversing this or improving this? or is the damage done and its time to count my losses and quit crying over spilled juice!

p.s. please dont be discourged from lending me records!

COLD WATER.

stick it under the cold tap with apple juice.

generally solvents are over-rated. some geeks say they damage the polymers of vinyl. the biggest record geek i know swears by cold water. and i do too.

endorsed officially by me.

rivetrenuck

Thank goodness

thank goodness i didnt use washing up liquid, something just didnt sound right, but hey i have totally fucked the record up now, Auntie gave me an ancient anti static record cleaner and its just crumbled all over the record, now its worse then before. clicks, and skips and repeats.

Side A officially gone. thank god for the the free MP3 downloads :p

EDIT: i think this record is actually cursed, for some wierd reason the tone arm is skating on Side B, the side that was unaffected . i have experimented with other records and no skating. but as soon as i put this one, the tons arm just flings around. How bloody bizzare!

Last edited:

Leo

EDIT: i think this record is actually cursed, for some wierd reason the tone arm is skating on Side B, the side that was unaffected . i have experimented with other records and no skating. but as soon as i put this one, the tons arm just flings around. How bloody bizzare!

well, it is on ghostbox.:p

rivetrenuck

Counter Balance

Hie all, more silly questions.

I currently have my counter balance set to the maximum. My cousin told me that this is alright but i could wear out a record.

Any thoughts on this, and if this is true then how should manipulate a counter balance?

Client Eastwood

I recently dug out my vinyl collection from my Dads loft where the records have been in cardboard boxes for years etc etc. . . . is there anyway to straiten a warped record.

Client Eastwood

Hie all, more silly questions.

I currently have my counter balance set to the maximum. My cousin told me that this is alright but i could wear out a record.

Any thoughts on this, and if this is true then how should manipulate a counter balance?

Probably but only after prolonged play. I've heard of people putting a coin on to get more bass which sound mad.

If I understand you correctly to adjust the counter balance you need to move the counter weight so that the stylus hovers over the record until you release the lever for the stylus to drop.

john eden

male pale and stale
I recently dug out my vinyl collection from my Dads loft where the records have been in cardboard boxes for years etc etc. . . . is there anyway to straiten a warped record.

There's all kinds of mythical techniques to do this but I think the short answer is no.

Things I have heard have included placing it between two sheets of glass in the sunshine and laying it flat under a big pile of books. My hit rate above isn't exactly great so I won't recommend any of these!

john eden

male pale and stale
AFAIK, washing up liquid is the way to go. Think it was waxpoetics and some crate digger who first put me on to it. I know people who swear by it:

http://www.google.ie/search?q=washi...s=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

Warped records - stick em in the oven between two sheets of glass 12-15 minutes at about 120F:

http://www.google.ie/search?q=Warpe...s=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

Yeah I'm pretty sure I've used washing up liquid before but I guess Woebot is making the point that records are oil based so on reflection that may not be a good idea.

Mind you I've only ever tried anything like this on reggae sevens I've picked up for 50p or whatever. 50p man, not 50 quid man innit.

D

droid

AFAIK, the danger with washing up liquid is static build up?

You can get vinyl friendly brands as well I think.