RBMA Theo Parrish

rivetrenuck

Hey all, i have been checking out the valueble videos at the RBMA. how i cringe at the red bull adverts, but i have to say they have done a good job and got some really cool people on.

I havent seen much of the videos but this talk given by Mr. Theo Parrish was impressive!. He didnt talk much about production but more about listening to music, particularly Detroit Music.

I myself have just got a turntable and now i find it really difficult to get back to mp3s , the feel of holding it and looking at it rotate and just holding the record sleeve, it somehow gives me a connection to the artists. Or rather its very tangible and one has to listen to what is playing.

But thats not the only thing on that video, I love his views on so many things, even though at times they seem to come out quite blunt. The video made me want to go back in time to detroit to experience things just as he was trying to describe it. i have come across music purely by the internet and thru blogs, and forums and chatrooms, i dont think this is wrong, but i have missed out on just going out with people and listening to things without knowing and just getting into it and then looking it up later. And despite the the good information on the writings, i still think one misses the context and meaning of certain types of music, because one is not immersed or just havent gone to see this people.

http://www.redbullmusicacademy.com/london/lecture-videos/theo_parrish__3_cheers_for_the_d
<object width="448" height="282"><param name="movie" value="http://www.redbullmusicacademy.com/...xt_subtitle=Theo+Parrish+-+3+Cheers+For+The+D"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.redbullmusicacademy.com/...xt_subtitle=Theo+Parrish+-+3+Cheers+For+The+D" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="448" height="282"></embed></object>

rivetrenuck

Yeah, to be honest i never really appreciated much of Theo Parrishes works, but now i getting to more of his stuff.

also he is a great speaker! very spirited, his eyes rolling and going all over the place and him loosing his breath and and his hands all over the place. Losing words to describe his experiences. It was great!

rivetrenuck

HAHAH!!!!! dont pay that DJ! stupid ass mofo!.

I was hoping to hear some of his thoughts on Sun Ra, the music and the influences Sun Ra has on his own music, but he didnt go there.

If anyone has got any views or thoughts on Sun Ra or the influences of Sun Ra on Theo please do comment.

Thank you

mms

sometimes
Terre Thaemlitz is interesting i've not really been a fan of his music but he's an interesting guy. not sure about his ideas about signifiers etc...

zhao

there are no accidents
Terre Thaemlitz is interesting i've not really been a fan of his music but he's an interesting guy. not sure about his ideas about signifiers etc...

what? you no feel the sprinkles stuff? and his mille plateux sound works? all aces IMHO...

er.ik

HAHAH!!!!! dont pay that DJ! stupid ass mofo!.

I was hoping to hear some of his thoughts on Sun Ra, the music and the influences Sun Ra has on his own music, but he didnt go there.

If anyone has got any views or thoughts on Sun Ra or the influences of Sun Ra on Theo please do comment.

Thank you

Why, do you have any thoughts on the influence of Sun Ra's music on Theo Parrish's own? I'd be intrigued to know them. Personally, I don't quite see why Sun Ra would have more influence on Theo Parrish than John Cage, Stockhausen, Paul Johnson or James Brown, but perhaps you could enlighten me. I'm sure he digs some of Sun Ra's stuff, but I don't think it has been a great influence on his output.

crackerjack

Sorry to crash this thread with consumerist questions, but I'm in a buying mood. What's the best Theo P record to get for a neophyte, preferably an album?

grizzleb

I really love Parallel Dimensions. Was one of my first Theo albums, and it still sums up what i like about him. Really abstracted, drawn out and loopy, whilst avoiding some of the more obviously 'housey' sounds than are maybe more prominent in some of his other works. Not a bad track on there. Giitit.