PDA

View Full Version : house and techno are bad

woops
08-03-2010, 06:45 PM
this is something i need to get off my chest. 4/4 kicks are wrong.
listening to planet rock last night it has the synth and drum machine that all the techno guys used but with, to my ears, a more interesting rhythm.
there's a huge division in electronic music between 4/4 and non

IanTheM
08-03-2010, 06:47 PM
this is something i need to get off my chest. 4/4 kicks are wrong.
listening to planet rock last night it has the synth and drum machine that all the techno guys used but with, to my ears, a more interesting rhythm.
there's a huge division in electronic music between 4/4 and non

Disco's cool.

Corpsey
08-03-2010, 06:53 PM
I used to think this.

Think I was wrong though.

You can do a lot with that template, rhythmically.

polystyle desu
08-03-2010, 07:44 PM
Thank you Whoops

I would replace techno with disco on your list- but hey, it's your list !

Also when one is talking Planet Rock, you are dealing with John Robie, master programmer and slinger of live tracks onto tape.
heard Bam rocking it just the other week ... wicked as that music MAKES one dance,
not THINK one should dance.

muser
08-03-2010, 08:06 PM
I used to think that but I like lots of music with 4/4 rhythms, for me it still gets dull quickly if its 4/4 where its completely centered around the kick with very simplistic and static sound-sets behind it. (still have never really been able to get immersed in the basic channel dub techno stuff either tho tbh :eek: :confused: alltho did like some of the re-releases of the Rhythm and Sound stuff with vocals)

routes
08-03-2010, 09:08 PM
4/4 kicks are only wrong and boring when everything 'else' is quantized and suffocatingly metronomic.

some bread and cheese and fine white wine? :confused:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IeF0xTdHPfA

franz
09-03-2010, 06:36 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f56uxbdunNY

mms
09-03-2010, 06:41 AM
[QUOTE=woops;223001]this is something i need to get off my chest. 4/4 kicks are wrong.
there's a huge division in electronic music between 4/4 and non[/QUOTE

this is bollocks though
the best techno isn't dominated by the 4 4 kick - same with house.
planet rock is an electro rhythm and variations of that can get as boring as anything else.
all dance music is 4/4 too.

zhao
09-03-2010, 06:46 AM
Pauline Oliveros said any kind of regular syncopation which doesn't change is about locking your consciousness into a groove, the opposite of opening the mind...

only partially agree...

zhao
09-03-2010, 06:48 AM
what techno and house needs is clearly Just Intonation.

and loads and loads and loads more African percussion.

woops
09-03-2010, 06:58 AM
this is bollocks though

it's not though

[QUOTE=woops;223001]

this is bollocks though
the best techno isn't dominated by the 4 4 kick - same with house.
planet rock is an electro rhythm and variations of that can get as boring as anything else.
all dance music is 4/4 too.

clearly. but when i get a chance to listen to the non 4/4 u guys rock to i'll agree
not just the best techno or house, but all techno or house are dominated by the most obvious plodding

mixed_biscuits
09-03-2010, 07:03 AM
The beat of the drum is an echo of the beat of the heart - maybe you suffer from cardiac arrythmia.

Healthy people like house and techno.

mistersloane
09-03-2010, 07:34 AM
I like the 4/4 beat when it's slower than about 120 bpm, slowed down it's really sleazy.

mistersloane
09-03-2010, 07:36 AM
I like the 4/4 beat when it's slower than about 120 bpm, slowed down it's really sleazy.

woops
09-03-2010, 08:00 AM
The beat of the drum is an echo of the beat of the heart - maybe you suffer from cardiac arrythmia.

i have no problem with being a sick creature, poncey philosophy reference

vimothy
09-03-2010, 08:28 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPS-84vSn4w

vimothy
09-03-2010, 08:29 AM
Weird.

computer_rock
09-03-2010, 10:38 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIA5f6kGVfk

vimothy
09-03-2010, 12:07 PM
Good point!

massrock
09-03-2010, 12:14 PM
what techno and house needs is clearly Just Intonation.
A lot of 80s and 90s synths have definable tuning tables so this shouldn't be too hard, I've got an E-MU module that has some JI tunings built in. Might be wrong but I think this is something that's left out of most modern synths and soft synths. Obv. a lot of sample based stuff will have weird tunings but not in a precise way.

Darn the oppressive hegemonic tonal domination of equal temperament. :mad:

mms
09-03-2010, 01:06 PM

i have arrythmia and i like both, im no fan of boom boom boom but even in the most boom boom techno like robert hood the sounds sit at front in the mix and just break the pattern of the 4 4 kick, they create the rhythm, house is more shaky the emphasis in good house is always around the 4 4

and the idea that 4 4 and more broken stuff is nonsense garage and 2 step and house and funky mix it up nice so does techno and electro.

zhao
09-03-2010, 01:31 PM

i feel you, brother, i feel you.

woops
09-03-2010, 01:46 PM
burial's transcended the genre

placid
09-03-2010, 03:13 PM
Dismissing whole genres based on whether they are 4 to the floor or not is short sighted at best

Btw fedde le grande is not 'Techno', Spiller is not 'house'

mixed_biscuits
09-03-2010, 03:24 PM
808 State had long ago shown how to escape techno's monotony and monochrome musical palette; unfortunately, no-one had the skills to follow them.

massrock
10-03-2010, 12:38 PM
http://talfred.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/mbase11.jpghttp://talfred.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/mbase11.jpghttp://talfred.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/mbase11.jpghttp://talfred.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/mbase11.jpg

JWoulf
10-03-2010, 01:38 PM
agree, 4/4 is boring and i only like it when i'm in the mood for some boring music.

zhao
10-03-2010, 01:55 PM
i used to be against 4 on the floor when i went through an idm phase :o

of course most of it is rubbish just like with everything else. but this reductionist pulse is a valid way of doing things. a bit over done by now and the clubs are desperately in need of more interesting rhythms.

Papercut
10-03-2010, 02:03 PM
A lot of 80s and 90s synths have definable tuning tables so this shouldn't be too hard, I've got an E-MU module that has some JI tunings built in. Might be wrong but I think this is something that's left out of most modern synths and soft synths. Obv. a lot of sample based stuff will have weird tunings but not in a precise way.

loads of softsynths like U-he zebra, camel alchemy, z3ta etc take .tun files or Scala files or whatever. if you're triggering hardsynths with midi, its so easy to use alternative tunings.

people do use them all the time, matthew johnson's uses alt tunings really obviously.

any time signature can be boring if the tracks boring.

massrock
10-03-2010, 03:57 PM
Ah, jolly good. Those are all quality synths as well so I understand, I'd need a fatter computer to run them properly though. Would like to give that Alchemy one a go, looks fresh.

Naysayers maybe give that 'Shake' Shakir podcast posted a few weeks ago a go...

Can you really say a good house or techno (or disco) set has never grabbed you?

http://www.dissensus.com/showthread.php?10445-Anthony-quot-Shake-quot-Shakir-quot-All-we-did-was-put-a-black-face-on-it-quot&p=220209#post220209

pattycakes
10-03-2010, 04:08 PM
:O @ this thread

Papercut
10-03-2010, 05:47 PM
Ah, jolly good. Those are all quality synths as well so I understand, I'd need a fatter computer to run them properly though. Would like to give that Alchemy one a go, looks fresh.

z3ta is old and it would run on a fairly slow computer. it takes .scl files, which are from Scala (which is free and you can download 1000s of tuning files from their website) or make your own with it.
Its good fun.

woops
30-03-2010, 08:01 PM
Ok I've been away and had a think about this,
Thanks everyone for videos and mixes, don't tell anyone but that's what i was really looking for when I started the thread.

I still don't really see the distinctions mms is talking about. As i see it house and techno are defined by their 4/4 kicks. (when i say 4/4 by the way I mean the 4/4 kicks, of course 99.99% of 'dance' / club music / continuum stuff is in 4/4 time). If it doesn't have the 4/4 kick it's not techno, it's electro - right?

Similarly if it's not got 4/4 kicks it can't be funky house, it must be dancehall or god knows what.
Certainly I've never heard anything I'd consider 'house' that didn't use a 4/4 kick.
Are these terms really so flexible? Have I got this completely twisted. I've read Energy Flash you know!

agree, 4/4 is boring and i only like it when i'm in the mood for some boring music.

Funny

zhao
31-03-2010, 07:07 AM
i fucking despise 99.99% of all house and techno and electro coming from America and Europe (and 85% of South Africa).

STUPID MUSIC FOR MINDLESS SHEEPLE.

you know what the non dance music person says - "all sound same"? well they're fucking right. and always have been.

regurgitated, swallowed again, digested and shat out so many times it has negative nutrition value, and sucks life energy from you when you listen.

the barrage of this lifeless gray slush coming through the pipes each and every day makes me nauseus just thinking about it.

a bunch of fucking retarded slaves. the tools that make and listen to this putrid fucking garbage.

DJ PIMP
31-03-2010, 07:20 AM
yeah but tunes innit

IanTheM
31-03-2010, 07:26 AM
i fucking despise 99.99% of all house and techno and electro coming from America and Europe (and 85% of South Africa).

you know what the non dance music person says - "all sound same"? well they're fucking right. and always have been.

regurgitated, swallowed again, digested and shat out so many times it has negative nutrition value, and sucks life energy from you when you listen.

the barrage of this lifeless gray slush coming through the pipes each and every day makes me nauseus just thinking about it.

a bunch of fucking retarded slaves. the tools that make and listen to this putrid fucking garbage.

Hey! It sounds like you're describing all music ever!

zhao
31-03-2010, 08:06 AM
Hey! It sounds like you're describing all music ever!

no.

historically many many styles have been exempt from the 5% (or 0.001%) rule of mostly being rubbish: Indonesian Court Gamelan, Hindustani Classical, Congolese Rumba, etc, etc, etc.; and have all had very high qualitative standards. whatever the reason may be, whether state sanctioned hierarchies of the music establishment or simple honesty and rigor in the creative communities, you would be hard pressed to find much of any poorly put together shit which is a waste of time for everyone involved. (they may have their own problems, for instance the Indian Classical mafia which basically prohibits anyone not in their gang to perform or record - but if we are just talking quality, the vast majority of recordings and artists are top fucking notch.)

and even in today's world, different scenes have drastically different quality to shit ratios.

so no, i certainly was not describing "all music ever made".

bob effect
31-03-2010, 08:40 AM

http://craplog.de/wp-content/uploads/2008/05/facepalm_picard_riker.jpg

woops
31-03-2010, 08:53 AM
wow!!!!
to think i was worried that i was trolling!!!

zhao
31-03-2010, 09:22 AM
http://craplog.de/wp-content/uploads/2008/05/facepalm_picard_riker.jpg

so, judging from your most original use of face palm pictures to so eloquently express yourself, you are probably one of these brain rotted tools that make and listen to this vile fucking shit, right?

zhao
31-03-2010, 09:26 AM
these days the staggering amount of vapid bullshit in house, techno and electro has so little value in it that i just might start listening to INDIE ROCK.

because as derivative and equally devoid of creativity as that scene is, at least they are TRYING to pretend to possess a semblance of vitality.

zhao
31-03-2010, 09:34 AM
spent quite some time going through a ton of 12 inches recently, and nada, nothing, zilch. NOT A SINGLE THING worth a fucking damn.

zhao
31-03-2010, 09:36 AM
wow!!!!
to think i was worried that i was trolling!!!

don't give a shit how you perceive what i say. because i am only calling a spade a spade. this is what i think, if it disagrees with some people's sensibilities and experience, tough mother fucking cookies.

zhao
31-03-2010, 09:38 AM
and all this lame ass shit coming out of South Africa too. horrid trance pads and progressive chords. copying the shittiest of club trends in the "west". face palm indeed.

bob effect
31-03-2010, 09:40 AM
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_MLZPxbUJkTY/SvDUgIqth8I/AAAAAAAAACU/YD0R0owsVdE/s320/facepalm.jpg

IanTheM
31-03-2010, 09:50 AM
no.

historically many many styles have been exempt from the 5% (or 0.001%) rule of mostly being rubbish: Indonesian Court Gamelan, Hindustani Classical, Congolese Rumba, etc, etc, etc.; and have all had very high qualitative standards. whatever the reason may be, whether state sanctioned hierarchies of the music establishment or simple honesty and rigor in the creative communities, you would be hard pressed to find much of any poorly put together shit which is a waste of time for everyone involved. (they may have their own problems, for instance the Indian Classical mafia which basically prohibits anyone not in their gang to perform or record - but if we are just talking quality, the vast majority of recordings and artists are top fucking notch.)

and even in today's world, different scenes have drastically different quality to shit ratios.

so no, i certainly was not describing "all music ever made".

Your opinions are pretty terrible. I don't understand how a staple of all dance music like a 4x4 kick can anger someone this much. Sure there's lots of dry stuff coming out when it comes to deep house or minimal techno, but there's no reason they can't be recontextualized by good producers to make good music. You're painting with too broad strokes. Bad and average music will always be there for you to get angry at, trust me I probably contribute to that category a lot.

zhao
31-03-2010, 09:57 AM
Your opinions are pretty terrible. I don't understand how a staple of all dance music like a 4x4 kick can anger someone this much. Sure there's lots of dry stuff coming out when it comes to deep house or minimal techno, but there's no reason they can't be recontextualized by good producers to make good music. You're painting with too broad strokes. Bad and average music will always be there for you to get angry at, trust me I probably contribute to that category a lot.

your reading apprehension skills are pretty terrible. i clearly said "house and techno", not "all dance music with a 4x4 kick" is in dire shape.

mms
31-03-2010, 10:12 AM
what are you fucking talking about numbnuts house and techno are great.

routes
31-03-2010, 10:34 AM
acid zouk and arabic skwee are both better than house and techno.

zhao
31-03-2010, 10:53 AM
i have listened to, played out, and loved house and techno for 15 years. which is why when i hear all this inane bullshit it kinda pisses me off.

there are a handful of producers that have always made amazing shit, and some of them still are. most of the other 99.99 percent is utter garbage.

mms
31-03-2010, 11:02 AM
i have listened to, played out, and loved house and techno for 15 years. which is why when i hear all this inane bullshit it kinda pisses me off.

there are a handful of producers that have always made amazing shit, and some of them still are. most of the other 99.99 percent is utter garbage.

i remember saying this at sunrise back in 88 or whatever.
:)

zhao
31-03-2010, 11:27 AM
i guess the majority of people consuming all that shit are young and don't know better.

the vast majority barely containing a fucking milligram of creativity.

super ironic as this is a culture which talks constantly about "future" and "forward" and "new" and "innovative".

bob effect
31-03-2010, 11:38 AM
http://haggismcspurter.files.wordpress.com/2009/11/victor-meldrew2.jpg

routes
31-03-2010, 11:41 AM
yeah the future isn't what it used to be, is it?

zhao
31-03-2010, 12:05 PM
yeah the future isn't what it used to be, is it?

became the status quo a long time ago. a conformist, repressive, dogmatic status quo.

and a lot of it is retro-camp-sentimentality isn't it? how many thousands of records came out last month proclaiming to have "classic detroit sound"???

Martin Dust
31-03-2010, 12:07 PM
[sigh]

alex
31-03-2010, 12:15 PM
super ironic as this is a culture which talks constantly about "future" and "forward" and "new" and "innovative".

Yes Zhao, I agree, but we also sport haircuts like the below, which is enough to make me lose hope, dunno about you

http://www.femalefirst.co.uk/image-library/port/376/l/la-roux-new-1.jpg

4linehaiku
31-03-2010, 12:15 PM
I wonder if any musical genre in history has been as homogeneously dull as self-important people complaining on the internet?

paolo
31-03-2010, 12:54 PM

That's just your opinion :)

zhao
31-03-2010, 12:59 PM
I wonder if any musical genre in history has been as homogeneously dull as self-important people complaining on the internet?

someone speaking their mind with no holds barred is "self important" and dull to you?

bob effect
31-03-2010, 01:15 PM
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/LQ0fqHEvT6M&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/LQ0fqHEvT6M&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

4linehaiku
31-03-2010, 01:41 PM
someone speaking their mind with no holds barred is "self important" and dull to you?

Depends on whether the contents of their mind are meritless and vacuous dismissals of entire musical genres that could have been written by anyone at any point in the last 20 years.

zhao
31-03-2010, 01:48 PM
Depends on whether the contents of their mind are meritless and vacuous dismissals of entire musical genres that could have been written by anyone at any point in the last 20 years.

my statements would not have been true 10, or even merely 5 years ago.

tom lea
31-03-2010, 01:54 PM
what are you fucking talking about numbnuts house and techno are great.
yeah i bought the new nick hoppner ep, and the new mmm 12" and the new claro intelecto yesterday and they're all killer. SMH, KMT, etc.

tom lea
31-03-2010, 01:57 PM
i might make a 4x4 track with a sample of me palming my face for the kick and a pitch-bent sample of me shaking my head for the whooshy bit in the middle. it'd defo sell.

routes
31-03-2010, 01:59 PM
i'd buy that ^

facepalm facepalm facepalm f-f-f-facepalm.....

mms
31-03-2010, 02:02 PM
give us a kiss zhao

nomos
31-03-2010, 02:03 PM
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/O4gqsuww6lw&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/O4gqsuww6lw&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Mr. Tea
31-03-2010, 02:17 PM
<EMBED src=http://www.youtube.com/v/O4gqsuww6lw&hl=en_US&fs=1& width=480 height=385 type=application/x-shockwave-flash allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always"></EMBED>

Ha, classic! "The system - is down...the system - is down..."

zhao
31-03-2010, 02:27 PM
yeah i bought the new nick hoppner ep, and the new mmm 12" and the new claro intelecto yesterday and they're all killer. SMH, KMT, etc.

i was into claro intelecto around 2003 and thought it was great. these days they are still doing exactly the same thing, just not nearly as fresh anymore. no thanks.

now do i have to state again that i've lived and loved this stuff as much as, if not more than, any of you. and this is what is happening right now, in 2010: i spend a lot of time going through fucking boatloads of it, just hoping to prove my premonitions wrong, just hoping to keep the hope alive... but after months and months of looking, i have found very, very little of any value.

genres and scenes all have life spans. initial explosion of creativity and innovation -- maturation/golden age -- incestuous biting/other bullshit -- and finally becomes largely irrelevant. (and a few years or a decade or 2 on it might be revitalized)

what we know as house and techno is approaching the final stage from where i'm standing. like trad jazz in 1970, like d'n'b in 2000.

Corpsey
31-03-2010, 02:34 PM
what house/techno from 2009/10 DO you rate, zhao?

would be interested to hear it.

personally i'm almost completely ignorant/new to the genre(s) been listening to

http://www.residentadvisor.net/images/reviews/2009/mm24.jpg

and a lot of theo parrish lately

+ 4X4 US/UK garage i.e.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/r1VFhuC5S7w&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/r1VFhuC5S7w&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

massrock
31-03-2010, 02:37 PM
Numbnuts House is huge with the meph kids. That and Blueknees Techno. Big.

alex
31-03-2010, 02:42 PM
Stimming has done some really interesting things recently. 'Bright Star' being the one I am most fond of.

nomos
31-03-2010, 02:57 PM
all that new stuff sucks...

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/5xillqqt0Y0&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/5xillqqt0Y0&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

... it has three years to live

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/fnyCJDYONSU&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/fnyCJDYONSU&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

tom lea
31-03-2010, 03:27 PM
http://www.residentadvisor.net/images/reviews/2009/mm24.jpg
be still my beating heart. great record.

zhao
31-03-2010, 03:41 PM
hahaha funny videos... thanks i enjoyed those. too bad they're irrelevant to the conversation.

zhao
31-03-2010, 03:45 PM
what house/techno from 2009/10 DO you rate, zhao?

love that andres as well. and also feeling Dj Sprinkles, some of that Omar S type stuff, some house by the post dubstep guys like Martyn maybe...

Ory
31-03-2010, 03:59 PM
levon vincent's "double jointed sex freak" was nice, as well as the occasional omar-s 12". other than that i've been utterly bored by everything recently.

alex
31-03-2010, 04:02 PM
arent we all an enthusastic bunch, so glad I am young!!

mms
31-03-2010, 04:10 PM
there does seem to be alot of generic stuff about but its also kinda spintered, i think house is maybe at this funny stage, there is the slow disco stuff, the edits, the funky, the jus-ed/levon vincent side of things, moodymann and that gang, the more 'italo' sounding european stuff, the minimal inspired stuff, that circus company sound, the atlanta stuff and the newer chicago/ detroit bits, it's in rude health but not as a solidified sound.

zhao
31-03-2010, 04:18 PM

it's BECAUSE i'm enthusiastic that i feel strongly about certain things. if i wasn't i could give a rats ass about this shit

stephenk
31-03-2010, 04:36 PM
http://www.factmag.com/2010/03/26/the-month-in-housetechno-2/

this is on point.

the new t++ sounds amazing.

it's true the logically building stuff with all the cliches has grown tiresome, and most sounds very afraid of variation in frequency. but there's enough adventurous stuff out there to keep me psyched every month.

massrock
31-03-2010, 05:13 PM
Richie Hawtin's doing Plastikman again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edfOB1q2R7k

Tentative Andy
31-03-2010, 05:16 PM
I can't believe this thread has 6 pages of replies.

Ory
01-04-2010, 05:42 AM

i'm 21 and more jaded than anyone i know. :mad:

zhao
01-04-2010, 07:47 AM
a bit strange that some people seem to be offended that i think the majority of house and techno releases today suck ass?

whether that's a reasonable statement or not, why do you even care?

if you like formulaic cookie cutter music, don't let some old grouchy humbug rain on your conformist parade!

anyhow. i'm going to make an European and American house and techno mix soon and sort this shit out once and for all :p

baboon2004
01-04-2010, 09:50 AM
Maybe the house/techno scene is going through a post-minimal lull, but I think it's always been true that (outside obvious golden ages) most genres can seem full of copycat shite if you're feeling a bit disenchanted with them. Especially a genre such as house/techno, where the general lack of 'image' to distract and differentiate (still couldn't recognise any major Berlin-y DJs aside from Villalobos) might make the music seem that bit more generic?

Of course, in genres such as classical, the generic stuff has fallen away over the years, so we are left with the cream of the crop (in theory, at least). Being confronted with it all day every day can be overwhelming - and, to get Berlin-specific, when I've been there for even short periods of time, the dominance of techno does begin to pall quickly.

Pestario
01-04-2010, 04:22 PM
I used to be a rhythm snob, hating all 4x4 whatever it is and fetishising ultra-cut up jungle and drumfunk dnb. But as I grow older I'm appreciating it much more. It's a strange progression.

baboon2004
01-04-2010, 04:27 PM
but is it logical?

sorry.

grizzleb
01-04-2010, 04:49 PM
4x4 done well is amazing. Most recent techno/house I listen to sucks ass, and is just forumulaic and lacking ideas. There's always going to be decent shit, but I think the best stuff is happening elsewhere at the minute. That's not to take anything away from people discovering the wealth of good shit at the moment, in amongst new producers who are good, but from a jaded perspective aren't doing all that much that makes me really sit up and listen (levon vincent etc). It's all about where you are at the moment, it's not about one scene being full of ideas and another being totally lacking. Much of it has to do with what you are rocking at the mo.

Corpsey
01-04-2010, 05:21 PM
truth be told I've almost always found a lot of techno boring to dance to. I have tried a few times to get into it and a lot of the time I end up just nodding and shifting my weight from one foot to the other. This particularly applies with Dettmann style stuff. But then I got into dance music through chomping pills and gesticulating wildly to Andy C sets.

Garage is probably number one in my house/house-related genres that I can dance to list. Oh and UK funky OBV.

Corpsey
01-04-2010, 05:23 PM
+ I find a lot of the stuff I can't dance to interesting/enjoyable to listen to.

I love Omar S/Theo Parrish but I can't imagine going crazy to a set of their tunes... I suppose that's not the point though.

I CAN/HAVE/MUST go crazy to a Todd Edward set.

scarboi
01-04-2010, 05:41 PM
Catch Theo when he's feeling frisky and he will quite literally make you dance your ass off.

You won't have much say in the matter.

Just because he makes abstract beats as DJ tools for his sets doesn't mean he isn't primarily interested in moving bodies.

Never seen Moodymann live, I hear he really doesn't mix so much as play tunes in their entirety these days.

Dunno about Omar S either.

Pestario
01-04-2010, 06:44 PM
truth be told I've almost always found a lot of techno boring to dance to. I have tried a few times to get into it and a lot of the time I end up just nodding and shifting my weight from one foot to the other. This particularly applies with Dettmann style stuff. But then I got into dance music through chomping pills and gesticulating wildly to Andy C sets.

Garage is probably number one in my house/house-related genres that I can dance to list. Oh and UK funky OBV.

I started from dnb as well and couldn't understand how you could enjoyably dance to techno, thud thud thud is that it? but then I chomped a bunch of pills at a techno rave and got into it. For me it's all about locking into the metronome, not thinking, just being there, not necessarily paying attention to the music but listening with your body. It's music for the nervous system, not the brain, which is probably why there aren't many new or exciting ideas in the genre. Personally I don't care, I don't look to techno for innovation, that's happening elsewhere but I find techno the most satisfying to rave to.

happiness is mdma and 6 hours of half bar loops

Corpsey
01-04-2010, 09:51 PM
TUNE ID

http://www.zshare.net/audio/7448849653654b52/

from Kyle Hall playing on alex nut's show

Richard Carnage
01-04-2010, 11:07 PM
TUNE ID

Big tune. No idea what it is though. Re: Theo's DJ sets, he really doesn't play much house anyway. Loads of disco, jazz-funk and other bits and bobs with a few of his own bits thrown in. Only seen him twice in the flesh (most recently in Bristol a month or so back) but each time he was absolutely wicked. I can just picture myself on the floor now, beaming and lost in the groove... :D

zhao
02-04-2010, 07:48 AM
it's all about locking into the metronome, not thinking, just being there, not necessarily paying attention to the music but listening with your body. It's music for the nervous system, not the brain, which is probably why there aren't many new or exciting ideas in the genre.

you've hit on something there for sure. i've long thought that it is subconscious music, akin to the "frog's eye view" thing of Ambient: a frog doesn't see the constant elements of his surroundings, only changes in them. so the constant elements in the loops of techno you stop noticing after a while, and only the subtle changes.

which is a great idea and i don't think necessarily a dead end at all. so i don't necessarily agree with the last part i've quoted... fuck if i know why there is so much copycat shit out there right now.

Damien
02-04-2010, 09:26 AM
I would say most of my favourite music is that which locks me in a groove. Always searching for that out of body experience

hint
02-04-2010, 12:04 PM
TUNE ID

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/w8gvmxOW7MU&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/w8gvmxOW7MU&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Corpsey
02-04-2010, 01:05 PM
cheers hint!

franz
02-04-2010, 11:07 PM
i have no idea where/when most of the tunes are coming from, but the deep house that finds its way onto Bruk sets suits me just fine these days.

Corpsey
03-04-2010, 12:53 PM
bruk = top house selectors

owengriffiths
03-04-2010, 02:55 PM
In line with Zhao's complaints I'd sum up Techno's problem like this. You'll come home from a club only recognising 3 tunes despite the fact that you heard at least 15 others several times before. It offends my sensibilities that so many people are producing tracks that sound like a million others, year after year after year. How can this be profitable, much less how can so many producers have the willpower to do it. How do DJ's justify buying (less relevant now with the demise of 12's) so many similar tunes or remember what they are

And before anyone comes back with the old 'but 90% of releases in every genre are bad' line- yes that is the case but at least in other genres they're not so minimal to the extent where individual tracks are so hard to identify from each other. And of course there must be loads of good techno tunes out there it's just hard to find them- unfortunately techno is one of those genres where the mainstream end of things is too dominant to allow the good stuff to flourish.

4NR
03-04-2010, 08:25 PM
there is so much wrong about this thread.

there is so much right with this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYQie4YUMT4) track.

bob effect
03-04-2010, 11:45 PM
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/NvvndsNOACY&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/NvvndsNOACY&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

David_M
05-04-2010, 10:56 AM
In line with Zhao's complaints I'd sum up Techno's problem like this. You'll come home from a club only recognising 3 tunes despite the fact that you heard at least 15 others several times before. It offends my sensibilities that so many people are producing tracks that sound like a million others, year after year after year. How can this be profitable, much less how can so many producers have the willpower to do it. How do DJ's justify buying (less relevant now with the demise of 12's) so many similar tunes or remember what they are

Well I think thatís because, at least in most of Europe, techno and house donít have the massive influence of soundsystem culture that most UK dance music has, and dj sets are approached in a slightly different way. Like a dj set is not so much about the tunes as it is about a dj building a vibe, with the tunes being more of a dj tool than an individual piece of music. And I think thatís why in most clubs you wonít hear a rewind or an mc hosting a set.

Not that either way is better than the other, I find both can be equally enjoyable.

mms
05-04-2010, 11:27 AM
Well I think thatís because, at least in most of Europe, techno and house donít have the massive influence of soundsystem culture that most UK dance music has, and dj sets are approached in a slightly different way. Like a dj set is not so much about the tunes as it is about a dj building a vibe, with the tunes being more of a dj tool than an individual piece of music. And I think thatís why in most clubs you wonít hear a rewind or an mc hosting a set.

Not that either way is better than the other, I find both can be equally enjoyable.

hmm yes this has been a problem since the late 90s , esp with minimal, good techno and house has riffs drops and fxs same as anything else to me, but stuff got more tracky mid late 90s and more boring to me.

gumdrops
13-05-2010, 03:54 PM
if someone was sort of interested in kyle hall, namely that hyperdub 12, what else should they investigate, either old/new?

Damien
13-05-2010, 04:41 PM
I'm not into that Kyle Hall Hyperdub 12. I feel like I'm not privvy to something that everyone else is

His Wild Oats record on the other hand :cool:

zhao
13-05-2010, 05:24 PM
Like a dj set is not so much about the tunes as it is about a dj building a vibe, with the tunes being more of a dj tool than an individual piece of music.

and the vast majority of these djs build pretty much the same vibe: boring.

grizzleb
13-05-2010, 05:36 PM
if someone was sort of interested in kyle hall, namely that hyperdub 12, what else should they investigate, either old/new?
What do you mean, are you looking for more stuff from him, or just similar stuff? I'll need to listen again but it sounds a wee bit different from the majority of housey shit I hear.

UFO over easy
13-05-2010, 05:44 PM

he's playing for eglo at plastic people on friday, that'll answer your question. he's a great DJ, definitely go if you can

zhao
13-05-2010, 08:08 PM
this is not boring though

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/eakeAvjIM34&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/eakeAvjIM34&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ucWXb_gzOuM&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ucWXb_gzOuM&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

paolo
13-05-2010, 09:53 PM

Floating Points, Deadboy, Kode 9 himslef

Corpsey
14-05-2010, 12:29 AM
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/VJjXdsIjsT0&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/VJjXdsIjsT0&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

If you like Kyle Hall the obvious ones to check out are Omar S and Theo Parrish.

Recently have been listening to a lot of Theo Parrish, absolute genius.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/732cUWmpm_M&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/732cUWmpm_M&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

''First Floor'' LP is the one.

shaolinsoul
14-05-2010, 02:41 AM
whatever happened to playing whatever you wanted as long as the bpm's are similar????. Im playing a lot of 140 bpm stuff so much good dance music fall in this category. You could get into some breakbeat stuff then some techno or even slower jungle. I dont believe i've ever played a set of "one" particular style anyways and wouldnt want to be regarded as that kind of dj.

zhao
14-05-2010, 04:33 AM
whatever happened to playing whatever you wanted as long as the bpm's are similar????. Im playing a lot of 140 bpm stuff so much good dance music fall in this category. You could get into some breakbeat stuff then some techno or even slower jungle. I dont believe i've ever played a set of "one" particular style anyways and wouldnt want to be regarded as that kind of dj.

people with this mentality are the exceptions. most absolutely have the rigid notion that a dj should pick a sound and stick to it firmly stuck in their heads. "i was just asked this recently: it's cool that you play all this different things, but what is YOUR thing?"

shaolinsoul
14-05-2010, 07:04 AM
people with this mentality are the exceptions. most absolutely have the rigid notion that a dj should pick a sound and stick to it firmly stuck in their heads. "i was just asked this recently: it's cool that you play all this different things, but what is YOUR thing?"

That guy is missing the point, there is no "thing". The dance music im hearing and listening to presently are grey areas of overlapping scenes, the closest I could describe it is bass, or even "bass" driven music. The common thread here for me is that if its forward thinking, bassy and powerful enough to rock the dance, im playing it. Obviously people are going to fine tune the parameters of what to them is "forward thinking" and follow that pattern.

I mean Look at someone like Surgeon, this guy made his name in techno, but he's now playing Untold, Roska, Berlin techno and even olschool rave classics. So what do you think his "thing" is??.
And im not too bothered, because I saw him a month ago and he smashed it.

Krasner
14-05-2010, 11:55 AM
this is not boring though

Wolfgang Voijt doesn't do boring.

baboon2004
14-05-2010, 11:59 AM
I mean Look at someone like Surgeon, this guy made his name in techno, but he's now playing Untold, Roska, Berlin techno and even olschool rave classics. So what do you think his "thing" is??.
And im not too bothered, because I saw him a month ago and he smashed it.

really? must catch him in that case - always rated him very highly.

zhao
14-05-2010, 12:02 PM
Wolfgang Voijt doesn't do boring.

oh that's one of his countless aliases is it? should have guessed/known. it is of course the same 3 guys who pioneered this shit, and continue to make quality tunes, while 3 million copy cats throw up fur balls.

edit- re: same 3 guys: speaking specifically on teutonic minimal of course, and not house techno at large.

Blackdown
14-05-2010, 12:53 PM
"i was just asked this recently: it's cool that you play all this different things, but what is YOUR thing?"

whoever asked you this was really blinkered. was he a minimal DJ? ;)

grave
14-05-2010, 01:08 PM
really? must catch him in that case - always rated him very highly.

You should, he's the best dj in the world. Every time I go to hear him play, I have to give it about a month before going out again to hear other dj's as everyone else seems rubbish by comparison.

zhao
14-05-2010, 01:21 PM
whoever asked you this was really blinkered. was he a minimal DJ? ;)

no he is an event organizer... been trying to get bookings at some of his parties but he doesn't seem convinced.

that classic blank stare when i try to tell him about what i do... would be probably much easier if i just said "electro-disco". then he'd be like "oh ok let me see if we can fit you in in a couple of months"

same as ever and in everything i suppose: taking the generic road more traveled is much easier than putting effort in trying to do something unique and special.

Pestario
14-05-2010, 03:58 PM
I mean Look at someone like Surgeon, this guy made his name in techno, but he's now playing Untold, Roska, Berlin techno and even olschool rave classics.

Yeah Surgeon's great (check out his FACT mix, it does all the above) but sometimes I wish he just did a rolling techno set. I think it's because there's hardly any techno in London and lots of 'bass music' but in Berlin it's probably the other way around. I'd probably share Zhao's opinion if I lived in Berlin.

mms
14-05-2010, 04:58 PM
same as ever and in everything i suppose: taking the generic road more traveled is much easier than putting effort in trying to do something unique and special.

yeah humans are a massive let down:(

shaolinsoul
14-05-2010, 08:21 PM
Yeah Surgeon's great (check out his FACT mix, it does all the above) but sometimes I wish he just did a rolling techno set. I think it's because there's hardly any techno in London and lots of 'bass music' but in Berlin it's probably the other way around. I'd probably share Zhao's opinion if I lived in Berlin.

Kind of agree with you, but I dont think he is DJ'ing. He's always pictured with a laptop I think he does edits on the fly or something.

In an interview I think he mentioned his interest in dubstep and the whole UK bass movement. Then again he's released excellent stuff on Dynamic Tension and Counterbalance. "Body request" being my favorite semi recent thing from him and works well with bassy stuff.

Theres a few good techno nights in London, the guys from bleep always put on a good show then again theres Detached in Leeds which had Function, Ancient Methods and Sandwell District.

Forward Strategy Group are from London I think, they are making some interesting industrial techno bass stuff, If you like your techno in the Regis vain of things.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YQM6xOt0oo&feature=related

4linehaiku
14-05-2010, 10:20 PM
He's the poster boy for Ableton Live, hence the laptop. Whether or not you want to call that DJing is up to you.

skull kid
15-05-2010, 10:46 AM
just to derail slightly, but are their any decent regular techno nights in london anymore? the club scene seems to be saturated now by either boring generic "deep" house or the bassier end of stuff (which may well take in a bit of techno here and there). but techno is either non existent in clubs or so underground that i'm not aware of it - and not just clubs; phonica seemed to have lumped techno in with electro and minimal, while house and nu-disco take centre stage

the irony is is that there is some seriously good techno being made in london recently, perc trax has been killing it; forward strategy group's remix of perc's "BCG" being my fav track of '10 so far - ridiculously crunchy industrial techno. then there's the whole frozen border/horizontal ground crew who have been banging out quality post-minimal techno with a hint of second-wave detroit stuff for a while now

skull kid
15-05-2010, 10:47 AM
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/NXn18P9azyA&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/NXn18P9azyA&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

such a big tune

dd528
15-05-2010, 11:12 AM
So, for someone who's a relative novice when it comes to contemporary house and techno, what would you recommend as jumping off points into the .01% of those genres that isn't stupid music for mindless sheeple?

I've been flirting around the edges of producers/DJs like Shed, Theo Parrish, Trus'me, Tony Lionni (that's the Manc connection...), Sandwell District, The Other People Place, Shackleton, Move D, etc. I'm enjoying most of what I'm hearing, but I have no idea what I might be missing out on.

Recommendations for any decent house and techno nights in Manchester would be appreciated too. Was gutted to miss Function a couple of weeks back, but he fell on the same night as Zomby.

Dusty
15-05-2010, 12:05 PM
Kind of agree with you, but I dont think he is DJ'ing. He's always pictured with a laptop I think he does edits on the fly or something.

You break down the track list of one of his recent sets and you will find it is composed of pretty much standard tracks. He isn't 'performing' by constantly creating custom edits on the fly, he is mixing.

stephenk
15-05-2010, 04:52 PM
So, for someone who's a relative novice when it comes to contemporary house and techno, what would you recommend as jumping off points into the .01% of those genres that isn't stupid music for mindless sheeple?

I've been flirting around the edges of producers/DJs like Shed, Theo Parrish, Trus'me, Tony Lionni (that's the Manc connection...), Sandwell District, The Other People Place, Shackleton, Move D, etc. I'm enjoying most of what I'm hearing, but I have no idea what I might be missing out on.

Recommendations for any decent house and techno nights in Manchester would be appreciated too. Was gutted to miss Function a couple of weeks back, but he fell on the same night as Zomby.

for one - legowelt
he may have been arpeggiator disco when his profile was the highest, but he and his constant stream of aliases are having a miniature renaissance lately...the stuff on strange life records, psychic stewardess, nacho patrol, not sure when the last salamandos was but that as well...it's like ghostly smudge house...hypnagogic/hauntological/buzzword chicago house? he lives in the mid-80s, basically.

actually i'd say dutch stuff in general - clone, delsin, m-o-s, creme labels, for example

shaolinsoul
15-05-2010, 08:18 PM
just to derail slightly, but are their any decent regular techno nights in london anymore? the club scene seems to be saturated now by either boring generic "deep" house or the bassier end of stuff (which may well take in a bit of techno here and there). but techno is either non existent in clubs or so underground that i'm not aware of it - and not just clubs; phonica seemed to have lumped techno in with electro and minimal, while house and nu-disco take centre stage

the irony is is that there is some seriously good techno being made in london recently, perc trax has been killing it; forward strategy group's remix of perc's "BCG" being my fav track of '10 so far - ridiculously crunchy industrial techno. then there's the whole frozen border/horizontal ground crew who have been banging out quality post-minimal techno with a hint of second-wave detroit stuff for a while now

Aah yeah, Perc trax is ill! I have that BCG remix and love it how it sounds on a big system. Really menacing edgy sounds.

I would want to add Modern Love and MLZ. Ive gotten into the whole HATE series they put out, which is top notch hardcore reminiscent breakbeat techno and the new one dont know the name but it has that "I just cant stop, I just cant stop" sample over and over again.

good stuff

zhao
15-05-2010, 09:30 PM

just off the top:

thomas brinkmann and afore mentioned wolfgang voigt for proper minimal, also older stewart walker albums i would put up there. all the Kompakt Total comps are great.

Jeff Mills but i'm still working on a definitive quality releases list among the ocean of output...

ancient methods for noise industrial goodness. some good stuff on tresor too like tobias schmidt.

what else? will list more when i think of them.

oh and i would put the VAST majority, perhaps all, of releases on labels like Creme and Bunker and Clone in the stupid music for mindless sheeple category.

simon silverdollar
15-05-2010, 10:33 PM

Robert Hood.

Pestario
17-05-2010, 09:45 AM

It's a bit dismal right now. The best 'pure' techno nights (as much as I hate that word) of the last few years don't seem to be on anymore. Steve Bicknell's Lost events have basically stopped. He's got Spacebase running every other saturday at Plastic People but it's only partially techno and things often move onto house and disco. 'Closer' used to be a great night but that's stopped too. And then there's the Acid squat party scene and the occasional legit club night put on the Liberator etc people. The Hydraulix crew put on a good night at Crosica but it's only every 6 months or so.

It seems the only way to enjoy techno on a regular basis is to spot a name on a lineup for one of those ubiquitious 'house-electro-techno' nights at fabric or something but please someone prove me wrong.

baboon2004
17-05-2010, 10:09 AM
Robert Hood.

Absolutely - doesn't get any better. And UR in general have some awesome releases, from the early days right up til, well, quite recently at the least.

Did Martin Buttrich ever release good follow-ups to Full Clip, which I thought was one of the best techno records I've ever heard?

4linehaiku
17-05-2010, 10:16 AM
Yeah I loved Full Clip, nothing I've heard from him since has really compared though.

Bleep 43 do good Techno nights in London. Well, I've never actually been, but the lineups are good and I like Corsica Studios so I don't see how it go wrong really.

Pestario
17-05-2010, 10:59 AM
Yeah I loved Full Clip, nothing I've heard from him since has really compared though.

Bleep 43 do good Techno nights in London. Well, I've never actually been, but the lineups are good and I like Corsica Studios so I don't see how it go wrong really.

For some reason I keep forgetting about Bleep43, cheers for the reminder. Derrick May on Friday yay

woops
17-05-2010, 11:35 AM
Fantastic, this is the rolling house and techno thread now?
I've been through the whole thread and listened to people's recommendations, but Sharivari and Stryder's World are the only ones I've listened to more than once.

dd528
17-05-2010, 02:51 PM
Cheers for the suggestions guys. Ancient Methods is pretty much the only name there I'm familiar with at all. I can sense some heavy listening sessions coming up :)

Corpsey
17-05-2010, 03:18 PM
any bristol peeps able to recommend house/techno nights i'm all ears

hopper
17-05-2010, 04:07 PM
seldom felt label is well worth checking out for analogue sounding techno. Each release is quality as well. Think 4 might appeal most to people on here. New Jeff Mills that just dropped on boomkat sounds quality as well

grave
17-05-2010, 04:45 PM
There are enough good techno nights in London to keep you busy. I've been going to Bleep43 for years and I'd say that's the best night in the capital. Surgeon and DJ Pete b2b for 6+ hours in December 08 was incredible.

shaolinsoul
17-05-2010, 10:37 PM
Actress Splazsh!!!

what a killer.

http://hardwax.com/60892/

Richard Carnage
17-05-2010, 11:28 PM
any bristol peeps able to recommend house/techno nights i'm all ears

You're a bit late on that train, I'm afraid, Mr Corpsey. Me and Chris from Rooted used to do a night called TAPE which mixed up house, techno, dubstep, funky and whatever else, but we sacked it off after one too many nights of losing cash. under_score were the remaining bastion of quality 4/4 music, and they've sadly finished things up as well earlier this year.

That said, there's a new bunch of young'uns who seem to have some good ideas, booking Claro Intelecto for their first party. The night's called Headrush and is based at Timbuk2, so maybe keep your eyes out for future events. Dojo is generally the best club for house and techno (as well as being open until 7 most weekends), but there seems to be a large contingent of Bristol's DJs - naming no names - who are more than happy to just play the Beatport top 20. A shame, really.

You coming to the inaugural Idle Hands night at Crash Mansions on June 11th? Should be a fair bit of techno being dropped there, but not the whole night, obviously. Kowton, October, EFA and Chris from Rooted who runs the label are all playing. Should be a good one!

shaolinsoul
18-05-2010, 03:16 AM
why cant techno dj's get booked to play along side other dubstep or funky/wonky whatever dj's. Is there absolutely no invested interest in techno what so ever in london?? Are there no techno dj's either?

A lot of Dubstep dj's are dropping/making 140 bpm techno style beats people like Ramadanman, Martyn and 2562. Hell somebody book me in London so I could bring the bassy dark techno goodness just pay for my business class ticket from LA and were good to go!

FairiesWearBoots
18-05-2010, 08:38 AM
it seems like more heads are interested in the house/dubstep crossover at the moment?
some of the tracks that are coming out now have more energy and excitement than the techno/dubstep tracks of a few years ago - well, I know I would rather dance to some of this
'FWD House' than some of the minimal/berlin/dubstep sound, lol

franz
18-05-2010, 08:55 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RoPAnzeBqxc

spotted this one in an old bruk set last august. naturally Elgato spins it slower than the youtube clip.
it's been a favourite lately.

Dusty
18-05-2010, 09:31 AM
oh and i would put the VAST majority, perhaps all, of releases on labels like Creme and Bunker and Clone in the stupid music for mindless sheeple category

Not sure how you can make that statement about Clone, the label that gave us the Lab Rat XL album, as well as Der Zyklus ad Drexciya cuts... the Alden Tyrell album and so on. In fact if you look at the Clone discography you will notice it is a mix of electro, acid, techno and that the label has been very selective in what it releases. It has hardly been flooding the market with endless pap that all sounds the same, a criticism you could level at Kompakt.

I think you could say the same about Bunker although I only have a couple of their compilations so I'm not so familiar with them. But I'd hardly describe Unit Moebius and Legowelt as mindless music for sheeple.

grave
18-05-2010, 09:33 AM
why cant techno dj's get booked to play along side other dubstep or funky/wonky whatever dj's. Is there absolutely no invested interest in techno what so ever in london?? Are there no techno dj's either?

A lot of Dubstep dj's are dropping/making 140 bpm techno style beats people like Ramadanman, Martyn and 2562. Hell somebody book me in London so I could bring the bassy dark techno goodness just pay for my business class ticket from LA and were good to go!

This does happen in London and has done for a couple of years.

zhao
18-05-2010, 10:15 AM
Not sure how you can make that statement about Clone, the label that gave us the Lab Rat XL album, as well as Der Zyklus ad Drexciya cuts... the Alden Tyrell album and so on. In fact if you look at the Clone discography you will notice it is a mix of electro, acid, techno and that the label has been very selective in what it releases. It has hardly been flooding the market with endless pap that all sounds the same, a criticism you could level at Kompakt.

I think you could say the same about Bunker although I only have a couple of their compilations so I'm not so familiar with them. But I'd hardly describe Unit Moebius and Legowelt as mindless music for sheeple.

yeah ok fair enough. creme is not so bad. bunker is pretty shit though. disagree about kompakt. could be just subjective... true legowelt is alright.

Tomas
18-05-2010, 10:16 AM
It's a bit dismal right now. The best 'pure' techno nights (as much as I hate that word) of the last few years don't seem to be on anymore. Steve Bicknell's Lost events have basically stopped. He's got Spacebase running every other saturday at Plastic People but it's only partially techno and things often move onto house and disco. 'Closer' used to be a great night but that's stopped too. And then there's the Acid squat party scene and the occasional legit club night put on the Liberator etc people. The Hydraulix crew put on a good night at Crosica but it's only every 6 months or so.

It seems the only way to enjoy techno on a regular basis is to spot a name on a lineup for one of those ubiquitious 'house-electro-techno' nights at fabric or something but please someone prove me wrong.

There's also Colony, who do alternate monthly nights at the Russian Bar and the Rhythm Factory www.myspace.com/colonyparty. Not pure techno, but they've had several of the Modern Love lot down, The Black Dog, plus people like Sigha and Pangaea

Dusty
18-05-2010, 10:32 AM
Don't get my wrong, I love loads of Kompakt releases, but a lot of it blurs into one in my memory - I have trouble distinguishing who released what. Same goes for Tresor. My use of the word 'pap' was probably overly harsh.

hopper
19-05-2010, 01:15 AM
what would you guys say is a good starting point for Jeff Mills? Only really heard the recent something in the sky bits properly and the exhibitionist mix cd (which was very impressive).

grizzleb
19-05-2010, 01:26 AM
http://www.discogs.com/Jeff-Mills-Purpose-Maker-Compilation/release/179146
http://www.discogs.com/Jeff-Mills-Lifelike/master/88382

Dusty
19-05-2010, 01:42 AM
Lifelike was my introduction to Mills. Slightly scary to think it is 10 years old already.

rob_giri
19-05-2010, 03:12 AM
this whole issue proves why this is so great:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZI9DZ7s1Qrc

case in point

grizzleb
19-05-2010, 04:13 AM
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/XFqXF7KMg9M&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/XFqXF7KMg9M&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/YMPgAZS2oG4&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/YMPgAZS2oG4&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

zhao
19-05-2010, 04:48 AM
what would you guys say is a good starting point for Jeff Mills? Only really heard the recent something in the sky bits properly and the exhibitionist mix cd (which was very impressive).

the latest album is a masterpiece. if i could only have one of his albums for the rest of my life it'd be that one.

stephenk
19-05-2010, 04:51 AM

i agree.
they're absolutely in tune with the "essence" even if that gets derivative sometimes. i don't really want a label that's going to be obnoxiously eclectic...in my eyes it's worse to churn out the preset-based populist club stuff with 'craaazy breakdowns' than it is to churn out rough + caustic classicism with old hardware and all the other great thing cliches that i actually love.
i don't LOVE all of the hague/rotterdam camp's stuff, but there's something like 12 clone sublabels now, and the level of support for people like drexciya and jamal moss alone puts them really high up in my books, certainly enough to recommend them over (post-06 or so) kompakt.

oh yeah, and clone's royal oak label recently put out things by space dimension controller and gerd that are very much in line with "cutting edge" kyle hall/floating points plastic people sophisticated jazz-house or whatever you want to call it

hopper
19-05-2010, 10:47 AM
the latest album is a masterpiece. if i could only have one of his albums for the rest of my life it'd be that one.

is that sleeper wakes?

mms
19-05-2010, 10:59 AM
i agree.
they're absolutely in tune with the "essence" even if that gets derivative sometimes. i don't really want a label that's going to be obnoxiously eclectic...in my eyes it's worse to churn out the preset-based populist club stuff with 'craaazy breakdowns' than it is to churn out rough + caustic classicism with old hardware and all the other great thing cliches that i actually love.
i don't LOVE all of the hague/rotterdam camp's stuff, but there's something like 12 clone sublabels now, and the level of support for people like drexciya and jamal moss alone puts them really high up in my books, certainly enough to recommend them over (post-06 or so) kompakt.

oh yeah, and clone's royal oak label recently put out things by space dimension controller and gerd that are very much in line with "cutting edge" kyle hall/floating points plastic people sophisticated jazz-house or whatever you want to call it
yeah its a good label on occasions - retro on the whole but still pretty innovative in its own way, bunker is a bit more experimental i guess, the whole classics thing was good and the drexciya sublabel, royal oaks been great so far too.

Dusty
19-05-2010, 11:40 AM
Speaking of the new Mills album, the cheapest place I can find it is Honestjons for £20.

I don't usually steal albums off rapidshare but in this instance Jeff is pushing me towards the edge. This will be the most I've ever spent on a single CD.

bobbin
19-05-2010, 05:12 PM
:O @ this thread

this thread is mental. i think one stylistic choice couldn't be futher from the issue of whether or not something is good. it's like saying that the 7th interval is the devil's interval and that any music featuring a chord with two notes 7 semitones apart should be consigned to hell.

Ok I've been away and had a think about this,
I still don't really see the distinctions mms is talking about. As i see it house and techno are defined by their 4/4 kicks. (when i say 4/4 by the way I mean the 4/4 kicks, of course 99.99% of 'dance' / club music / continuum stuff is in 4/4 time). If it doesn't have the 4/4 kick it's not techno, it's electro - right?

try arguing with eg keith tucker about that, he's talked about how irrelevant it is for him, can't find where now unfortunately.

if you're trying to categorise music based on one materially tiny necessary and sufficient property surely you're barking up the wrong tree? surely almost all issues of musical definition involve a less than neat bundle of considerations?

and the idea elsewhere that because 99.5% of a genre is shit the whole thing is incredibly vexing seems really aesthetically invalid (or something) to me. i'm just happy with the quantity in absolute terms of good stuff i come across, i can't imagine why it should make any difference to me that there's a lot of corresponding bad stuff i don't listen to.

i really dislike this idea that formula is bad too. why would you evaluate some music based on whether the process used to conceive it was novel or repetitious?

mms
19-05-2010, 06:10 PM
Speaking of the new Mills album, the cheapest place I can find it is Honestjons for £20.

I don't usually steal albums off rapidshare but in this instance Jeff is pushing me towards the edge. This will be the most I've ever spent on a single CD.

is that the one with the cd one side and 5 inch vinyl the other?
a fellow i know called yuri helped with that design ?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/yurisuzuki/4567987550/page2/

mms
19-05-2010, 06:16 PM
this thread is mental. i think one stylistic choice couldn't be futher from the issue of whether or not something is good. it's like saying that the 7th interval is the devil's interval and that any music featuring a chord with two notes 7 semitones apart should be consigned to hell.

try arguing with eg keith tucker about that, he's talked about how irrelevant it is for him, can't find where now unfortunately.

if you're trying to categorise music based on one materially tiny necessary and sufficient property surely you're barking up the wrong tree? surely almost all issues of musical definition involve a less than neat bundle of considerations?

and the idea elsewhere that because 99.5% of a genre is shit the whole thing is incredibly vexing seems really aesthetically invalid (or something) to me. i'm just happy with the quantity in absolute terms of good stuff i come across, i can't imagine why it should make any difference to me that there's a lot of corresponding bad stuff i don't listen to.

i really dislike this idea that formula is bad too. why would you evaluate some music based on whether the process used to conceive it was novel or repetitious?

woops has got the wrong idea
techno was never about the 4 4 kick that's all i'm saying that's not where the emphasis ever was, compared to house.

zhao
19-05-2010, 06:56 PM
is that sleeper wakes?

yeah. i think it might be a japanese only release? no idea why. but yeah, rapidshare.

Leo
19-05-2010, 07:28 PM
yeah. i think it might be a japanese only release? no idea why. but yeah, rapidshare.

some of his recent cds are available for $16 plus shipping from the axis records website. "contact special" is pretty cool, a collection of a series of tour-only 7" singles from a while back. and the early axis comp "the other day" is good, sort of chilled and "of its time" sounding but good nonetheless. and when i want to bang my head, i throw on the purpose maker comp cd, non-stop bangers.

skull kid
19-05-2010, 07:57 PM
yes purpose maker is the best. perfect balance of early distorto-mills and his more-tribal, housier style

Corpsey
19-05-2010, 09:53 PM
My record deck broke a while ago and I've been trying to figure out if its worth getting it fixed. Thing is lately I've been listening to/wanting to mix mainly house/techno and I gather that a lot of tunes come out on mp3 only nowadays.

Is it better to have CDJs/Serato if you're a house dj? I do love vinyl but I dunno if I can afford it anymore :eek:

notoriousJ.I.M
19-05-2010, 11:38 PM
My record deck broke a while ago and I've been trying to figure out if its worth getting it fixed. Thing is lately I've been listening to/wanting to mix mainly house/techno and I gather that a lot of tunes come out on mp3 only nowadays.

Is it better to have CDJs/Serato if you're a house dj? I do love vinyl but I dunno if I can afford it anymore :eek:

Sure there are a few releases that are digital only but there are also guys like Omar S, Theo Parrish and Moodymann who refuse to play the digital game and only release on vinyl. I guess it's whatever you feel most comfortable mixing on but if I was in your position I'd probably go the decks and serato route. I'm pretty sure there are plenty of older house and techno records that have never made it to digital anyway so the second hand market is always going to be there for those.

paolo
21-05-2010, 02:59 PM
Where are the best places to start with Omar S and Theo Parrish?

grizzleb
21-05-2010, 03:05 PM
Where are the best places to start with Omar S and Theo Parrish? They both have a bunch of 12 inch releases. Omar S's first 4-5 12s are class, just numbered I think.
Get 'Just ask the Lonely' if you can, or 'Oasis', 2 good albums. Theo Parrish has a lot of 12 inches too, but I'd check out First Floor and Parrallel Dimensions as 2 good albums that give an introduction to different facets of his sound - the former more housey, the latter more fucked up & abstracted...

Enjoy though. There's loads of good shit.

grizzleb
21-05-2010, 03:13 PM
Some of my favourite of their tracks...

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/gwR4n9cwVH4&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/gwR4n9cwVH4&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/jPS-84vSn4w&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/jPS-84vSn4w&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/eOUSveSN1PA&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/eOUSveSN1PA&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/VZ3ozx66tgo&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/VZ3ozx66tgo&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/NEFrNP-BLcI&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/NEFrNP-BLcI&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Big Nose
21-05-2010, 03:26 PM
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ixKSHqMFKj0&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ixKSHqMFKj0&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Emotional

Corpsey
21-05-2010, 03:34 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpuke_gCGcg&feature=related

Could be wrong but I think this is one of the most popular Omar S tunes.

I love this one, the vocal takes a while to grow on you though:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpD9gESP13c

His Fabric mix is all his own productions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQtsvBufgGA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=732cUWmpm_M

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5eV7Nqsal0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pi8NofY8f10&feature=related

Pretty much every tune on 'First Floor' and 'Parallel Dimensions' = :cool:

I NEEEEED to see Theo at Plastic PPL this summer.

http://www.thetrilogytapes.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/Doldrums-fly.jpg

= lineup this june with Omar S and Petchy + Topsee!

Tomas
21-05-2010, 03:40 PM
http://www.thetrilogytapes.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/Doldrums-fly.jpg

= lineup this june with Omar S and Petchy + Topsee!

jesus christ and kassem mosse too?! that's a serious lineup!

stephenk
21-05-2010, 05:30 PM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ln6u_Aff1gQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ln6u_Aff1gQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

also "i can take it" which isn't on youtube and is originally a recloose track

FairiesWearBoots
21-05-2010, 06:26 PM
Stryder's world gets me everytime - so hypnotic

would love to hear it on a full system

DigitalDjigit
21-05-2010, 07:46 PM
I love me some Omar S.

http://www.discogs.com/Omar-S-In-Side-My-Head/release/584919 is a fun filtered house track.

http://www.discogs.com/Oasis-Thirteen-Two-Eight/release/916247 is probably my favorite overall.

But Theo Parrish...I tried listening to Parallel Dimensions. Just can't get into it at all. I would even go far as saying it's shit. Every track is just a sample looped over and over and over, and not a very good loop either. And the whole thing sounds like it was passed through a murkifier. Listening to that album is like those dreams where you are trying to run but your legs get stuck in the ground so you are barely moving. He may be a good DJ though.

mistersloane
21-05-2010, 08:02 PM
Listening to that album is like those dreams where you are trying to run but your legs get stuck in the ground so you are barely moving. .

Sounds great! I'm gonna go check it out now!

skull kid
21-05-2010, 09:25 PM
"But Theo Parrish...I tried listening to Parallel Dimensions. Just can't get into it at all. I would even go far as saying it's shit. Every track is just a sample looped over and over and over, and not a very good loop either. And the whole thing sounds like it was passed through a murkifier. Listening to that album is like those dreams where you are trying to run but your legs get stuck in the ground so you are barely moving. He may be a good DJ though."

there's this thing called weed. not sure if you've heard of it or not. it's ok though - you probably just don't like house music

this http://www.discogs.com/Theo-Parrish-Pieces-Of-A-Paradox/release/4298 and this http://www.discogs.com/Theo-Parrish-Solitary-Flight/master/1922 are the best things he's done, and some of the best house music ever made

got to rep for this one as well

http://www.discogs.com/Theo-Parrish-Instant-Insanity/release/35075

AMAZING marvin gaye sample flip

DigitalDjigit
23-05-2010, 02:13 AM
Thanks for the tips. I went and checked them out on Youtube. I do happen to like house music quite a bit. I just don't think Theo Parrish is any good at writing music. Maybe that's why his tracks don't sound like anyone else's? He does have some interesting sounds, for instance the kicks on that Pieces of a Paradox are pretty unusual. But the hi hats on "Dusty Cabinets" sound very annoying to me. Props for not following the typical rhythmic template but they sound very stiff. It really reminds one of stuff people do with drum machines when they first start out. What else is going on in that track? The same simple basslines with a note on every off-beat just going on and on. Aside from the kick the sounds are very dry. So it's really something that could have been thrown together in 15 minutes by anyone.

Look how many times he triggers the same samples in "Ebonics". The pads are very amateurish again.

"Solitary Flight" is one of the only good tracks I've heard from him ("Synthetic Flemm" is pretty decent too). But it's probably just a couple samples.

I don't know. Maybe you like this sort of naive, amateur sound. But it's not for me.

It raises a good question though. Why do I adore Omar S's "Day" where he loops that Supremes sample incessantly while the repeating sample in "Instant Insanity" drives me up the wall?

baboon2004
23-05-2010, 02:44 AM
loving the sacred cow sacrifice.

'Day' is great late night listening - thanks. In answer to your question, cos it's the fucking Supremes.

paolo
23-05-2010, 01:11 PM
Cheers guys, I'll get me some education

grizzleb
23-05-2010, 04:49 PM
I suppose if you come at a criticism of Parrish from the angle of 'his production is pretty unpolished' then you're right, but that's kind of missing the point. The rough n ready aspect is an important part of his sound. The hi-hats in dusty cabinets are amazing, feels like an example of proper groove that is difficult to fake, haha. Like the way the pattern sort of shifts in and out of phase... I guess that's one thing I really don't like about much house is that it doesn't have that sort of crackly, worn, slightly distorted sound that Parrish does. Omar S does it too, his tracks sound cheap as fuck alot of the time (certainly the older tracks that I prefer) - but it pays off...

Check out The Rotating Assembly stuff for an album (and some EPs) of Parrish shit I don't think you could call 'cheap' at all. What with a full band and shit.

Leo
23-05-2010, 05:07 PM
I just don't think Theo Parrish is any good at writing music....It really reminds one of stuff people do with drum machines when they first start out. What else is going on in that track? The same simple basslines with a note on every off-beat just going on and on...So it's really something that could have been thrown together in 15 minutes by anyone...The pads are very amateurish again...Maybe you like this sort of naive, amateur sound. But it's not for me.

fair enough, everyone's entitled to their opinion, but i dig theo's stuff for some of the exact reasons you have a problem with it! i love the drawn-out, mesmerizing, ill-defined repetition. I love how, as an alternative to the high-gloss, pulverizing beats of most other house music, his stuff is so cheap/low-fi sounding, bordering on a sort of other-dimensional avant-garde house...but instead of being completely alien sounding, it's all filtered through a layer of the most personal chicago soul. where you hear badly produced, annoying repetition, i find woozy off-kilter minimalist explorations for altered states dance floors.

skull kid
23-05-2010, 05:15 PM
theo parrish is what it would sound like if 90s rza made house

grizzleb
23-05-2010, 05:52 PM
fair enough, everyone's entitled to their opinion, but i dig theo's stuff for some of the exact reasons you have a problem with it! i love the drawn-out, mesmerizing, ill-defined repetition. I love how, as an alternative to the high-gloss, pulverizing beats of most other house music, his stuff is so cheap/low-fi sounding, bordering on a sort of other-dimensional avant-garde house...but instead of being completely alien sounding, it's all filtered through a layer of the most personal chicago soul. where you hear badly produced, annoying repetition, i find woozy off-kilter minimalist explorations for altered states dance floors.<<<<This.

Leo
24-05-2010, 01:12 PM
btw, excited about the return of patrick pulsinger: produced the new elektro guzzi and hercules & love affair albums and releasing his own album next month featuring fennesz, trumpeter frans hautzinger, elektro guzzi, abe duque and one track co-produced by sebastian niessen of snd.

he was one of the first techno guys i got into back in the day with his cheap records label, and enjoyed his more experimental releases since then.

Richard Carnage
24-05-2010, 04:45 PM
btw, excited about the return of patrick pulsinger: produced the new elektro guzzi and hercules & love affair albums and releasing his own album next month featuring fennesz, trumpeter frans hautzinger, elektro guzzi, abe duque and one track co-produced by sebastian niessen of snd.

he was one of the first techno guys i got into back in the day with his cheap records label, and enjoyed his more experimental releases since then.

Elektro Guzzi album is stonking, by the way (review here: http://www.residentadvisor.net/review-view.aspx?id=7495). Even if you don't like techno, I'd give it a listen. Proper murky.

tox
24-05-2010, 08:40 PM
Thanks for the tips. I went and checked them out on Youtube. I do happen to like house music quite a bit. I just don't think Theo Parrish is any good at writing music. Maybe that's why his tracks don't sound like anyone else's? He does have some interesting sounds, for instance the kicks on that Pieces of a Paradox are pretty unusual. But the hi hats on "Dusty Cabinets" sound very annoying to me. Props for not following the typical rhythmic template but they sound very stiff. It really reminds one of stuff people do with drum machines when they first start out. What else is going on in that track? The same simple basslines with a note on every off-beat just going on and on. Aside from the kick the sounds are very dry. So it's really something that could have been thrown together in 15 minutes by anyone.

Maybe you'd prefer his remixes...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSH_5VZdD4k

... or when he's remixed?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AG-h27tajtg

slackk
09-06-2010, 05:37 PM
absolutely fucking brilliant

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/jAHdFlZS8TA&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/jAHdFlZS8TA&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

vimothy
09-06-2010, 06:48 PM
Stryder's world gets me everytime - so hypnotic

would love to hear it on a full system

Yes! I love this tune.

Corpsey
09-06-2010, 07:42 PM
Flying Gorgars is the one for me this week. So brilliantly hypnotic, the way everything emerges slowly and before you know it you're in a zone. The echoing shakers that sound like a steam engine. Can't wait to see him at Doldrums.

Somebody pointed me in the direction of a great Kwaito mix today:

http://www.discobelle.net/2010/06/05/moroka-secousse-sa-house-kwaito-mix/

I've never really heard kwaito and know nothing about it, a lot of great tunes in this mix though.

Leo
17-06-2010, 12:30 AM
I've heard good things about Legowelt, true? Any suggestions of best tracks?

zhao
17-06-2010, 07:44 AM
Somebody pointed me in the direction of a great Kwaito mix today:

http://www.discobelle.net/2010/06/05/moroka-secousse-sa-house-kwaito-mix/

I've never really heard kwaito and know nothing about it, a lot of great tunes in this mix though.

that's not kwaito. it is mostly township and durban house, except Big Nuz who are kwaito/house hybrid. here is real classic kwaito: http://fairtilizer.com/track/ngoma4

zhao
17-06-2010, 07:46 AM
I've heard good things about Legowelt, true? Any suggestions of best tracks?

rather consistent aren't they? seems like everything is pretty good.

vimothy
17-06-2010, 02:49 PM
All Danny Wolfers stuff is dope. Nacho Patrol are faves tho.

stephenk
17-06-2010, 04:09 PM
yeah definitely nacho patrol, that's like his ethiopian jazz/chicago house thing...he has about a million aliases though, and the number is growing. the psychic stewardess album from this year is cool. salamandos, smackos (which is generally beatless stuff with fake comic book storylines), dark days 2 is a good legowelt album/'greatest/lost hits' album.

he also has one of my favorite radio shows...http://www.moosleybay.com/astro.htm only here can you hear the international theme from alf mixed into actress, as well as wolfers's frequently hilarious musings. he has exceptional taste.

grizzleb
17-06-2010, 08:47 PM
Get Legowelt - Classics 1998-2003 - A Selection Of Tracks From The Archive Bunker as a great introduction to his sound. He's got a great back catalogue with lots of good stuff and a melodic sound that is instantly recognisable.

Corpsey
17-06-2010, 09:03 PM
that's not kwaito. it is mostly township and durban house, except Big Nuz who are kwaito/house hybrid. here is real classic kwaito: http://fairtilizer.com/track/ngoma4

Fair enough, thanks for the link

routes
17-06-2010, 10:10 PM
but zhao lots of the newish stuff i hear that calls itself 'kwaito' is up around 120 anyway so it's getting harder to be that clear really.

edit: as you say, the tunes in your (cool) mix is the old skool kwaito swagger but the kids are fuckin wid it...

grizzleb
17-06-2010, 10:50 PM
Anybody got any township/durban then? That mix is fucking quality. I rarely listen to mixes these days but it's been on heavy rotation in my parlour.

benw
18-06-2010, 04:16 AM
answer to why this thread title is just too wrong:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nzxyw_XgMyU

franz
18-07-2010, 06:19 AM
Can someone tell me what the house tune is that also uses this sample? i know i've heard it at least once or twice in the last year or so... punching Alright With Me into a search engine, proved somewhat fruitless.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/pptgPlFWdVI&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/pptgPlFWdVI&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Corpsey
18-07-2010, 11:34 AM
This?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxodGkgnIa8

Classic!

Sectionfive
18-07-2010, 12:41 PM
This is really essential, he's got nearly 1500 sets up.
Covers everything from last week sets to stuff from '88.

http://soundcloud.com/r_co

zhao
18-07-2010, 12:54 PM
snare on the 2 and hi hat on the offbeat is just PLAYED OUT.

shit is TIRED.

with this pattern each bar is a self contained module, BOOM----KA, and stops there.

where as if the snare is on the 2.4 and/or 3.5, like in African or Caribbean rhythms, each bar anticipates the next, and needs the next to make sense: the modules are interlocking, can not exist individually, carrying you in a forward motion, into the dance.

mixed_biscuits
18-07-2010, 06:52 PM
where as if the snare is on the 2.4 and/or 3.5, like in African or Caribbean rhythms, each bar anticipates the next, and needs the next to make sense

Have you got any more info on this, Zhao? 'tis interesting.

franz
18-07-2010, 07:03 PM
This?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxodGkgnIa8

Classic!

nah, that's a nice one, but whatever i'm thinking of is definitely more recent sounding...

straight
18-07-2010, 10:04 PM
id have to disagree with you zhao, its things the signifiers like the offbeat cymbal that I love and always have me coming back for more. You can have all matter of insanity going on in a track but when i get a cymbal after the kick then i feel like im hopping into a lovely warm familiar bath (to the point that thats all im basing most of my currenty work on). I think the polyrhythms conversation is pretty overblown, this is guys moving a couple of squares on a screen a bit to the left rather than rhythm carved on totemic granite slabs from the cradle of civilisation.

oh and dont forget 'house is a just a feeling'

franz
03-09-2010, 06:49 PM
spotted in the new 2562 v. A Made Up Sound mix on LWE:
http://www.littlewhiteearbuds.com/podcast/lwe-podcast-57-2562-vs-a-made-up-sound/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3HPKH3w9so

Sectionfive
30-09-2010, 03:26 PM
Anyone hear anything about Aaron Carl passing away ?
Can't find any confirmation, shite news if its true :(

Bang Diddley
30-09-2010, 03:32 PM
Anyone hear anything about Aaron Carl passing away ?
Can't find any confirmation, shite news if its true :(

Its true it seems.

http://www.littledetroit.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=31490&sid=4ea1ef12ba3e3929b1580cd0a9f329ff

zhao
30-09-2010, 04:20 PM
Have you got any more info on this, Zhao? 'tis interesting.

twas just my own little theoretical musing on beat patterns...

the snare square on the 2 is of course good for some occasions, it has that resolute finality about it. that sense of conviction... where as the carib-afro beat patterns are shifty, restless, and forever moving...

mms
30-09-2010, 07:44 PM
nah, that's a nice one, but whatever i'm thinking of is definitely more recent sounding...

this?
classic garage jam

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/xYEo5tLeglI?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/xYEo5tLeglI?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

franz
25-11-2010, 05:35 AM
nah it's not that one either. but that song is fabulous, so i'm glad you tipped me.

i know you've all been waiting on bated breath... finally respotted this one.

it was in the United Vibes 4x4/UKG anniversary mix from last year. Nubian Mindz - Be Allrite

no youtube as far as i can tell.

http://www.discogs.com/Various-Basic-Laws-Vol-2/master/76368

of course this is way more recent... wonder where the sample originates.

franz
17-12-2011, 09:14 PM
didn't know where else to put this so here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFNxGMLm604

appreciation for Walt and Dave. This track had me thinking of the haunting hardcore thread... of course its later an' so on... but. Good things.
And since i'm still digging, here's a nice deep house bit from Walt, a bit later:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ai4L7cbIvT0

woops
05-04-2013, 02:48 PM
Seems to be a general shift to this amongst DJs from what I can gather.

Corpsey
05-04-2013, 05:42 PM
It would be interesting to discuss how people feel about house at the moment in the UK, since its become such a big thing on both the ''nuum''-y side (jackin', stuff mark radford plays) and ''deep'' side of things. It's omnipresent, really?

I don't really know what's going on with club music in the UK though, since I rarely go out now and when I do I'm usually slightly disappointed. I know that students love Swamp 81 and Joy Orbison et al. Presumably dubstep (i.e. wobble) is pretty huge but I can imagine its a bit like DNB in that its big rave music rather than club music if there IS a difference.

You'd have thought that there will be a swing back away from house in the near future since that's how things tend to work - but OTOH is everything so splintered now that nothing in particular will emerge to 'take over'?

trilliam
06-04-2013, 12:36 AM
I know that students love Disclosure

trilliam
06-04-2013, 10:11 AM
in re to topic title this is definitely the majority consensus on this board, for what reason i dnt kno, i think it might be some misguided attempt to separate UK from US sounds, usually these opinions will cite "rudeness". go figure.

continuum
06-04-2013, 10:50 AM
From my own personal experience - The first music I really connected with was early 90s hardcore and then Jungle after that. when my friends got into House music I just thought it sounded really tame and boring in comparison so largely ignored it.

As I got older a really good House night bloomed where I lived in Milton Keynes and despite my protestations we would end up going there regularly. I did eventually get 'it' after getting into ecstasy but despite seeing loads of the best House DJs at the time always felt more strongly about UK Garage and so on after.

When I and others brought up House music to Grime MCs and heads back in the RWD forum days we were quickly dismissed without any real explanation ("we're not doing that detroit shit" is one comment I remember). The other excuse that springs to mind was that is was music for homosexuals.

Times have changed, people have grown older and more mature and a lot of people imo just don't want to rebel any more. House has always been the more acceptable face of electronic dance music and with us now clearly in the post rock era it's not rocket science to work out why it's becoming omnipresent.

woops
27-07-2015, 12:45 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDwulx5ICYg

rubberdingyrapids
02-06-2016, 10:03 AM
i realised that for years, i had a reverse snobbery towards house and techno, despite liking lots of tracks in those genres. which is a bit silly.

Corpsey
02-06-2016, 10:13 AM
Wow, dissensus used to be thriving

There's about five/six people MAX posting here now

rubberdingyrapids
02-06-2016, 10:24 AM
yeah ive been thinking that this site should maybe just be archived now.

Corpsey
02-06-2016, 10:54 AM
Supposedly there are 57 people viewing the music forum ATM

COME OUT OF THE SHADOWS

My pet theory is that Luka scared people away. Including himself.

rubberdingyrapids
02-06-2016, 11:00 AM
There are currently 134 users online.

134!

droid
02-06-2016, 11:01 AM
Most of those are bots.

There's about a dozen regular posters, a couple dozen more who pop in once a week and maybe a couple of hundred old hands who pass by once a year.

Still better than facebook.

Corpsey
13-11-2017, 09:51 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdHrtze4BaE

Best Classic House Music 1990 - 1995 - History of House Music 3 by DJ Chill X

Mixed by the legendary DJ Chill X, Part 3 of History of House Music explores house music from around the 1990's to 1995. When it expanded to NY, NJ with the legendary Zanzibar with Tony Humphrey's onto the the UK. You hear the early Gospel House Music, more advanced Acid House, Tribal House. PLEASE LEAVE FEEDBACK!

luka
13-11-2017, 09:59 PM
i do basically agree with the premise of this thread.

luka
13-11-2017, 10:00 PM
Supposedly there are 57 people viewing the music forum ATM

COME OUT OF THE SHADOWS

My pet theory is that Luka scared people away. Including himself.

i only wanted someone to talk to!

Corpsey
13-11-2017, 10:01 PM
I used to think this.

Think I was wrong though.

You can do a lot with that template, rhythmically.

*sigh*

was I ever really this young?

cwmbran-city
18-11-2017, 06:51 PM
to quote Glenn Underground, "House music will never die"

after a minor 3yrs hiatus from this music, caused by a car wreck rehabilitation gone proper wonky, its been good to get back in the crates, digging for music that still fits like a classic, well tailoured suit.....these 2 mixes have a broad spectrum of releases & styles & the mixing isnt too shabby either

https://soundcloud.com/cwmbran-city/an-archaeology-of-house-vol-1

https://soundcloud.com/cwmbran-city/an-archaeology-of-house-vol-2

if yer in Europe, free party pioneers DiY's 30th birthday bash will be in under 2 years, definitely one to book the mon/tues/weds off for

firefinga
22-11-2017, 06:08 PM
Most of those are bots.

There's about a dozen regular posters, a couple dozen more who pop in once a week and maybe a couple of hundred old hands who pass by once a year.

Still better than facebook.

Last sentence is spot on :)