PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever heard something so good it made you cry?

Red Rooster
16-03-2005, 01:35 AM
I always hear stories from top DJ's who say they like to spot people crying when they play an awesome track - but have you ever heard something so deep it made you cry?

JanuaryinGermany
16-03-2005, 01:43 AM
Most of Dave Godin's Deep Soul Treasures, vol. 1
Nina Simone, He Neds me
Trembling Blue Stars, ABBA On The Jukebox
Jacques Brel, Voir Un Ami Pleurer
Mary G. Blige and Method Man, All That I Got Is You
Olive, You're Not Alone
Jimmy Durante, September Song
The Beatles, In My Life
The Smiths, Please Please Please Let Me Get What I Want
The Real Thing, You To Me Are Everything

dubplatestyle
16-03-2005, 02:24 AM
sometimes i think i'll start blubberin at any old thing.

the last time i busted up was to david banner's "fire fallin" about a week ago.

martin
16-03-2005, 07:58 AM
The Dubliners' version of 'The Town I Loved So Well' usually sets me off. And that bit at the end of 'Jamie and the Magic Torch' when his mum said 'Goodnight, Jamie'

arcaNa
16-03-2005, 08:02 AM
Yeah...

especially when i heard a quiet number from Pharaoh Sanders, which was so beautiful i had to...i couldn't even take it...
(The intro goes on forever, just quietly droning with eastern flavours, then after 2 minutes or something his tenor sax comes in, just blowing slowly into the heavens....Fucking amazing, instant nirvana...) -Left me speechless... :cool: :)

droid
16-03-2005, 08:45 AM
sometimes i think i'll start blubberin at any old thing.

the last time i busted up was to david banner's "fire fallin" about a week ago.

:) Im with you there... theres nearly too many to count...

heres 3 offhand that never fail:

Aphex twin - Xylem Tube

DJ SS - Black

DJ Crystl - The Dark Crystl

Grievous Angel
16-03-2005, 09:05 AM
The Abyssinians last week had me crying my eyes out.

stelfox
16-03-2005, 09:25 AM
i'l always remember isolee live in barcelona a few years back, after i'd written a big chunk of the sonar programme about how brilliant he is. didn't even realise i was crying until someone asked me if i was alright.
not forgetting when i first got boy in da corner, either. totally fell to pieces listening to it on a bus driving through east london.
camargue by cj bolland can quite often set me off, too.
i do this quite a lot, actually. you have to be a bit careful about this at ragga and grime nights, though.

Nick Gutterbreakz
16-03-2005, 09:34 AM
Oh yeah, I'm a soft bastard, me. All sorts of potential for tearfulness round my place. Most recent example was hearing Spooky's "Stereo" for the first time in years when I found it on an old cassette. I could feel the lump coming up in my throat, then when the organ-bass kicked in I fucking lost it big time.

SMorlighem
16-03-2005, 09:49 AM
Hhhm, I was close to, yesterday, when discovering 'It's You' by Vashti Bunyan with the Animal Collective, even if it was a shitty mp3 on crap speakers !
I avoid to listen to certain records : for instance Marvin Gaye's 'What's Going On'
Can't stand it :(

francesco
16-03-2005, 10:03 AM
Not recently, but i cryied heavily with those:

joy division - unknow pleasures
current 93 - soft black star
scott walker - 3
too many soul songs to even start to number
johnny cash - hurt
prince bonnie willie - i see a darkness
cat power - moon pix

i'm easy to cry with songs and books and movies, i cryied last time a week ago at the end of "million dollar baby"....

redcrescent
16-03-2005, 10:14 AM
too many soul songs to even start to number
:) Anch'io.

Rambler
16-03-2005, 10:16 AM
Loads of things. One that gets me every single time though is Gene: 'Does he have a name'. That's a perfect broken heart song.

As a teenager there were about 6 or 7 Teenage Fanclub songs that always used to get me too.

Deep down I'm just a soft indie-pop get.

Tactics
16-03-2005, 11:21 AM
off the top of my head I'll say 'The Bends' and 'OK Computer' by Radiohead - I really couldnt believe what I was hearing when I heard those LP's....

puretokyo
16-03-2005, 12:00 PM
Joy Division - In A Lonely Place (unreleased demo from Heart and Soul Box)

When he kicks in with "how I wish you were heeere, with me now..." its an absolute killer.

Antony and the Johnsons - I Fell In Love With A Dead Boy and Cripple And The Starfish
Coil - most of Musick To Play In The Dark and the Solstice EPs
Cannibal Ox - The F-Word

"'I like you a lot but I don't wanna lose what we got' / The F-word"

Vordul - Never Gonna Hurt Again

Just that chorus - "never gonna hurt again" - especially in the context of his injury and its impact on his career.

bassnation
16-03-2005, 12:05 PM
4 hero "journey from the light", esp the creepy one that sounds like you've took too many ecstasy tablets

failing that, nausbluten always makes me feel emotional.

polystyle desu
16-03-2005, 02:02 PM
Good thread

I've noticed that there are certain songs that I just know are going to get a round of tears going
because they tie in with emotional memories of a certain time , sometimes place.
There seems to be a brain tie with whatever music it was that you really got and felt was 'your's',
at some young point in your life.
Because they blew my Junior High School mind in early '70's,
Ziggy And The Spiders From Mars doing "Moonage Daydream" gets me almost anytime ,
pile of used Kleenex when Ronson rips solo .
Bowie's "Heroes" does it as well.
Early UK punk like "God Save The Queen" , even Generation X's first single"Your Generation" can draw an angry tear or two 'cuz of a kind of 'Dammit , that's right maaaan' feeling .

Dubquixote
16-03-2005, 02:24 PM
Dolly Parton - "I Will Always Love You" = heart-achingly perfect

polystyle desu
16-03-2005, 02:31 PM
Should have included Joy Division too ...
Many cuts from Unknown Pleasures get me .
We all had tickets to see Joy here when we got the sad news.
Then instead , a very New Order looked like THEY'D been crying when they went on stage @ Tier 3 for first show in US

mms
16-03-2005, 04:30 PM
i shed a little tear at the sunra archestra gig the other week. just the single minded gorgeousness of the idea and the density of the feeling behind it,the history and pain, plus the desire to levitate from it all in marshall's staggering playing.
late period coltrane is almost unlistenable to me, makes me cry , same kinda reasons, but the sound just kills me. Pharoah Saunders 'creator has a masterplan, too much choice.
james brown cos it's just so fucking sick, makes me tear my hair out.
cooperation by franco and sam the other guy set me off a little the other day.
One of the songs off the last shellac album set me off when i saw em playing live, 'and if there is a heaven,and i think there is no heaven, she's probably dancing with you.' Difficult.

Ness Rowlah
16-03-2005, 05:34 PM
recently: "Time (The Revelator)": Gillian Welch.
an amazing track, it's absolutely timeless, beautifully sung/played and with darkish lyrics.

before:
Vini Reilly, Townes Van Zandt, some Joy Division and probably more ...

captain easychord
16-03-2005, 07:11 PM
a good part of the aphex twin catalogue
cannibal ox - 'the f word'
david banner - 'cadillacs on 22's'
the last track on boy in da corner
nina simone - 'sinnerman'

puretokyo
16-03-2005, 10:04 PM
How could I forget?

Nirvana - Heart Shaped Box and Where Did You Sleep Last Night

Those two utterly decimate me... Probably more for their impact on me as a small tacker than anything...

believekevin
16-03-2005, 10:39 PM
This has happened to me a bunch of times in a live setting when everything is "clicking" and it seems like we are reaching some new collective understanding.

The only single track that comes to mind right now is Nas "One Mic." Something about the "i shot back / fuck gettin hit / this my hood / i'ma rep to the death of it" is just so powerful.

Also, mad many motown / soul tracks. The Spinners, the four tops..

redcrescent
16-03-2005, 11:03 PM
Very recently. I slap on three roots tracks in an attempt to end a night of sin and excess (not me, for a change, it was work) on a spiritual high... and end up with tears streaming down my face onto records and sleeves and into my beer glass. Some sad figure I must have cut behind the decks, but the sheer beauty of what I was hearing was just utterly overwhelming.

Never mind the original quote for a sec'

stories from top DJ's who say they like to spot people crying when they play an awesome track
What about people spotting the DJ crying?

Oh, in case anyone cares, the tracks in question were:
Toots and the Maytals "It was written down"
The Heptones "Book of rules"
The Congos "Solid foundation"

Devastating, uplifting, incredible music.

evergreen
16-03-2005, 11:32 PM
some of the african hip-hop i've heard recently ... the singing makes my hair stand on end, it's so real

smockey "blues afrique" and another one called "africa lakale" by a name that escapes me atm

Red Rooster
17-03-2005, 12:28 AM
I'm glad this thread got love!

Some really great tales there.

I have been moved close to tears once. Heard Jamiroquai play "Didjital Vibrations" live. I used to listen to it nearly every night on my cd walkman to send me to sleep - the digeridoo in the rainforest atmosphere, beautifully layered track.

But hearing it all played live at a concert - amazing, and then, right as I felt the lump rising, Jay Kay actually walked past me thru the crowd - right in front of me, not even a few people between us (he left the stage for something and just walked through the audience like a normal guy as the track is instrumental and runs for about 10 to 15 minutes).

It was the most perfect musical moment in my life !!

Red Rooster
17-03-2005, 12:31 AM
What about people spotting the DJ crying?

No I meant DJ's always hold memories of playing a track in their sets and actually spotting somebody crying in the audience.

I've read a couple of articles over the years - I can't remember who they were though!

baboon2004
17-03-2005, 01:15 AM
The only single track that comes to mind right now is Nas "One Mic." Something about the "i shot back / fuck gettin hit / this my hood / i'ma rep to the death of it" is just so powerful.

Also, mad many motown / soul tracks. The Spinners, the four tops..

Great calls - that line near the end of 'One mic' - "Bitches (ahem) left me cos they thought I was finished" and those that follow it are so self-mythologising and yet so moving; that song pretty much singlehandedly rolled back a decade to the rawness of Illmatic, made all the intervening disappointments melt away.

70s and Philly soul - Delfonics - Didn't I Blow Your Mind This Time; Persuaders - Thin Line Between Love and Hate; Chi-Lites - Have You Seen Her?...................

baboon2004
17-03-2005, 01:18 AM
Oh God, and Raekwon - Heaven or Hell - most shattering and amazing use of a sample ever?

redcrescent
17-03-2005, 01:30 AM
@ RR

I know what you meant. I just reversed the question, as it were, and in my story the DJ sheds tears, not the audience.

So some top DJs say they've had people weep at gigs. OK.

But have you ever heard people coming home from a club saying,
Q: "See the weepy c*** on the decks?"
A: "Aye, f****** bawling like a baby."

Or something similar?

DavidD
17-03-2005, 05:15 AM
"Heaven or Hell" is a good one.

I know its cliche as a hip-hop fan to say this, but certainly the first time I heard "They Reminisce Over You"

There are quite a few Notorious B.I.G. moments, I have to say

"My mother got cancer in her breast/ don't ask me why i'm mothafuckin stressed, things done changed."

Whole portions of "Sky is the Limit"

Everyday struggle - "I don't wanna live no mo, sometimes i hear death knockin' at my front door / i'm livin' every day as a hustle, another drug to juggle/ another day another struggle."

Big did an amazing job translating that sort of limitless sadness about the parodox of modern life, growing up poor in a world that doesn't understand - even the introduction to juicy, "this album is dedicated to all the teachers that told me I'd never amount to nothin', to all the people that lived above the buildings that I was hustlin' in front of that called the police on me when I was just tryin' to make some money to feed my daughters..."

In the album he robs pregnant women, shoots people effortlessly, fucks girls left and right, and yet makes you sympathize with every moment...one of Christgau's best lines was about this album (which is saying something, considering his poor record w/r/t hip-hop in the early 90s) even if it is a bit "what am I doing listening to hip-hop":

As a white person in an integrated, how do we say it, nabe, I should breathe a sigh of relief that pithy Christopher Wallace seems content to exploit his own people--"I been robbin' motherfuckers since the slave ship," or, if you prefer, "I be beatin' motherfuckers like Ike beat Tina." As a male person, I should be grateful he doesn't want to pimp my kind either. But because I live a lot farther from the edge, these things don't make me feel better at all--I'm outraged when anyone gets robbed, beaten, or pimped, descendants of slaves especially. Hence I'm not inclined to like this motherfucker. But the more I listen the more I do. Wiping the cold out of his eyes at 5:47 a.m. or pulling his gat as the wrong guy comes down the street, he commands more details than any West Coast gangsta except carbetbagging Ice-T. His sex raps are erotic, his jokes are funny, and his music makes the thug life sound scary rather than luxuriously laid back. When he considers suicide, I not only take him at his word, I actively hope he finds another way.

Also, "Live at Dominoes" by the Avalanches.

simon silverdollar
17-03-2005, 08:00 AM
loads of stuff.
the recent ones =

mfa- 'the difference it makes [superpitcher remix]'
michael mayer- falling hands
riko- don't want you back
talking heads- this must be the place/ naive melody
villalobos- dexter
rhythm is rhythm- strings of life
all of the first spy vs spy EP
ruff sqwad- alright
and target's 'earth warrior [remix]' can make me feel a bit funny, cuz it's so amazing, but i'm not sure if it makes me cry.

simon silverdollar
17-03-2005, 09:11 AM
oh and baby d 'let me be yr fantasy' as well.

ewmy
17-03-2005, 09:31 AM
Orbital - Belfast

arcaNa
17-03-2005, 12:20 PM
Cannibal Ox - The F-Word
"'I like you a lot but I don't wanna lose what we got' / The F-word".
Yeah, man, me too...

darknes
17-03-2005, 05:44 PM
Outkast's Liberation, second to last track on Aquemini. When Cee Lo sings "My relationship with my folks is give and take/I done took so much/I give in my glory..." gives me goosebumps even now, and made me burst out crying the first time I heard it.

Johnny Cash - Hurt

Shadow - Endtroducing, it just kills me, I got it the year I lived in France and discovered love and life....

Talking Heads - Once in A Lifetime, in particular on Stop Making Sense. David Byrne personally redeems our materialistic culture by spazzing out like the nerd in all of us.

the Beatles - Eleanor Rigby. SLAYS me.

Quicksand's album Slip, in particular when performed live. When I saw them, I cried through almost the entire show. So moving.

And when my boy played his dnb tune when he opened for High Contrast.

I am a weepy sap. I cry at car commercials.

DigitalDjigit
17-03-2005, 09:55 PM
Daft Punk - Digital Love made me cry tears of happiness recently. The other one I remember was some reggae song I recognized but didn't know the name of during a Easy Star All Stars concert. It was just nice to hear it.

I suppose Faust - Jennifer could make me cry too. Basically any song that I associate with "love".

michael
17-03-2005, 10:11 PM
While I'm too much of a repressed motherfucker to shed tears over music, I've also found that Talking Heads' 'Naive Melody' grabs me pretty hard sometimes.

Last time I thought I was going to cry over a bit of music (close enough, right? :)) was Fennesz's remix of the Junior Boys' 'Birthday'. When the waves of distortion roll in... cue keanu "woah"

Another one for me is The Notwist's 'One With The Freaks'. Their music is often very sterile - IDM precision production meets fairly trad indie rock - but this song really gets me. I think the English as a second language aspect is a bonus in this particular track. I mean, "you are one with the freaks" is a perfectly acceptable phrase of English, but I have to wonder if they were aware of the different feeling created by saying "with" rather than "of" there.

kingofcars
18-03-2005, 02:57 AM
rob hubbard's theme to the c64 game 'crazy comets' almost brings me to tears every time i hear it.

....dont' ask.

bassnation
18-03-2005, 12:25 PM
oh and baby d 'let me be yr fantasy' as well.

on that tip, "hideaway" by deep dish used to have that effect on me if i was under the influence.

i remember going to gay pride on clapham common in 1997 (or thereabouts) and seeing a dj in the substation tent drop "something going on in my heart" by todd terry. there were loads of people crying with joy when that was played, it was an amazing moment. on the way out, we got a bit confused as to which way we had to walk to get out of there - and there were swarms of large insects flying into our heads which was extremely disorientating. but going off on a tangent now.

Grievous Angel
18-03-2005, 01:46 PM
I have been moved close to tears once. Heard Jamiroquai play "Didjital Vibrations" live.
Excellent, big up the Jamiroquai massive!

Triple-M
18-03-2005, 03:34 PM
Sabres of Paradise - Smokebelch II is one the lachrymose crew.

The other stand-out tune from that album, Clock Factory, is apt to make you petrified rather than cry. Try listening to it in bed with the lights out after a spot of green - if you dare.

hamarplazt
18-03-2005, 09:03 PM
rob hubbard's theme to the c64 game 'crazy comets' almost brings me to tears every time i hear it.
Wow, that's weird, I feel almost the same with his music for "One Man and His Droid".

kingofcars
18-03-2005, 10:32 PM
Wow, that's weird, I feel almost the same with his music for "One Man and His Droid".

there's quite a few tearjerkers in the c64 musical world. 8-bit sounds can carry alot of emotional weight...the nostalgia factor...

martin galway's 'parallax' theme can get pretty emotional, too....

robin
19-03-2005, 12:04 AM
loads of stuff,i'm a sucker for that sort of carry on
more than anything else though the first movement of gorecki's third symphony...
ocean songs by dirty three too
also recently,the more i listen to holla by ghostface the more it hits me as being one of the most beautiful things ive ever heard-far more so that the delfonics original for some reason

misterpc
19-03-2005, 08:01 AM
"Hope She'll Be Happier" by Bill Withers, from the Live at Carnegie Hall set... when he hits the long note in the middle, I crash the car.

Plus, for good measure, "Every Word Except Goodbye" by Peter Mulvey, from Trouble with Poets.

mistersloane
05-06-2007, 03:41 PM
Saw Jimmy Scott play at Ronnie Scotts, and he DECIMATED the audience, when he came out a couple next to me were giggling, "is he a man or a woman" and that sort of thing, and within three songs they were literally holding onto each other, mascara running, the bloke just looking totally aghast, tears flooding down his cheeks. Good on yer, Jimmy, I thought.

'Truth and Rights' by Johnny Osbourne does it for me every time too.

STN
05-06-2007, 03:47 PM
'I Can't Stand It' by Alton and Lloyd.

swears
05-06-2007, 04:03 PM
I welled up a bit once when Ivan Smagge dropped Severed Heads' "Dead Eyes Opened" on a night out, right after some other really melancholy tune that I never identified.
(It's a prettier tune than the title suggests ;) ) I was on pills though, does that still count?

....dont' ask.

That has to be one of the top game themes ever, Hubbard is a genius. I read that he actually progammed tunes in machine code to get effects/timbres that couldn't be achieved on the limited music software available for the C64.

zhao
05-06-2007, 04:04 PM
most recently was that i-wayne track off of Hard Times. the one which goes "I wanna see my people in love, no wanna see them swimming in blood" about 2 months ago i was going through some family stuff at the time... and was very stoned... very late at night coming home by myself... heard this song and just made me bawl. for some reason.

there is other music which almost always want to make me cry. some of my favorite sounds in the world... will think about it and get back.

(great idea for thread)

zhao
05-06-2007, 04:08 PM
i think there are 2 kinds (at least) of things which do this: 1. music that is very sad (obviously) and 2. music that is very beautiful. may be very, very subtle, or may be very, very powerful and bold, and it just sounds so right, so good... that it's like a key that just opens up the floodgates... crazy

zhao
05-06-2007, 04:11 PM
oh... "thousands are sailing" off of If I should Fall From Grace With God by the Pogues. i was playing it for my girlfriend before i left, first time hearing it in about... 14 years? and i could hardly keep the tears in... i guess it's a song about immigrants, and i really identified with it when i was young, just moved to the States...

STN
05-06-2007, 04:19 PM
oh... "thousands are sailing" off of If I should Fall From Grace With God by the Pogues. i was playing it for my girlfriend before i left, first time hearing it in about... 14 years? and i could hardly keep the tears in... i guess it's a song about immigrants, and i really identified with it when i was young, just moved to the States...

Yeah, the depressing assumption 'when I got back to my empty room, I suppose I must have cried' does tug the old heartstrings. MacGowan sets the scene of a carefree night out followed by sudden, horrible, hollow loneliness perfectly.

dubversion
05-06-2007, 04:24 PM
so many things - a handful of Low tracks (especially Sunflower), most of the first Sparklehorse album, Billy Bragg's Tank park Salute because it makes me think of losing my dad, Dory Previn's The Lady With The Braid, Van Morrison's Beside You.. that's off the top of my head..

zhao
05-06-2007, 04:35 PM
How could I forget?

Nirvana - Where Did You Sleep Last Night

oh my lord... after my 18th birthday i think it was, i was still drunk as hell in the morning... heard the Unplugged version of this song... had just broken up with a girl at the time... damn

gumdrops
05-06-2007, 04:36 PM
smiths - its over
nina simone - various songs
morrisey/nancy sinatra - let me kiss you
some billie holiday stuff
donny hathaway - friends

not actually blubbed to these songs but theyve made me *close*

muser
05-06-2007, 05:12 PM
off the top of my head..

ella fitzgerald - blue skies
billie holiday - gloomy sunday
rico rodriguez - stranger on the shore
cigány himnusz on the latcho drom album
ando drom - sleep is this song
aphex twin/analord - where's your girlfriend?
cyne - automation (four tet remix)
filastine - ja helo

never actually cried tho

Sick Boy
05-06-2007, 05:32 PM
Please let me never have an answer to that question.

adruu
05-06-2007, 05:48 PM
what is wrong with you people? =P

Truthfully, I Wayne - Living in Love had me LIT the first time, especially if coupled with
Capleton - day will come...m.a.s.s.i.v.e.n.e.s.s.

petergunn
05-06-2007, 08:11 PM
rainbow- gene chandler

DJ PIMP
05-06-2007, 08:59 PM
Rufige Kru - Kemistry
DJ Crystl - Warpdrive Rmx (the breakdown...)
Max Romeo
Aphex Twin - Alberto Balsam
Cannibal Ox - Scream Phoenix (especially if having listened to the entire exhausting album)
Oxtongue - Delight
Deeelite - Power of love
Kelley Polar Quartet - The Rhythm Touch
Stevie Wonder - Visions, Pastime Paradise
Model 500 - I wanna be there
Bill Withers - Lovely Day, Just the two of us
Mahalia Jackson - A City Called Heaven
Claro Intelecto - Peace of Mind
Kraftwerk - Computer Love
Ladytron - All the way

etc etc etc

mms
05-06-2007, 09:16 PM
Rufige Kru - Kemistry
DJ Crystl - Warpdrive Rmx (the breakdown...)
Max Romeo
Aphex Twin - Alberto Balsam
Cannibal Ox - Scream Phoenix (especially if having listened to the entire exhausting album)
Oxtongue - Delight
Deeelite - Power of love
Kelley Polar Quartet - The Rhythm Touch
Stevie Wonder - Visions, Pastime Paradise
Model 500 - I wanna be there
Bill Withers - Lovely Day, Just the two of us
Mahalia Jackson - A City Called Heaven
Kraftwerk - Computer Love
Ladytron - All the way

etc etc etc

bleep my girlfriend has a t-shirt with yr avatar on, do you know where it's from?

DJ PIMP
05-06-2007, 09:33 PM
It's a design by Garland Lyn for Japanese t-shirt label 2K (my fave tee of all time and I love the things). Lot's of ready made avatar materials abound:

http://www.2kbygingham.com/index-shop2.tpl

Next for me is the genius of the Acid Bauhaus shirt:

http://www.2kbygingham.com/WholesaleE/admin/art/04GNR015-01-S.jpg

Another track: Age of Love - Age of Love - Jam n Spoon mix

leamas
05-06-2007, 11:10 PM

beautiful track. there's also a track called 'peace of mind' on the andy stott album 'merciless' which has the same piano and melody, but backed by strings rather than beats. i'm never sure which came first.

my personal few (from many):

Opus III 'It's a Fine Day'
Vangelis 'Blade Runner Blues'
Tom Waits 'World Keeps Turning On'
Wiley 'Come Lay with Me'

mistersloane
06-06-2007, 12:00 AM
Ruff Sqwad's Havana vocalled by Discarda, I burst into tears on the tube cos of that one, thanks Discarda

zhao
06-06-2007, 12:21 AM
claro intellecto, model 500, and "computer love" makes you cry? really? not that i don't believe you it's just a little hard to imagine...

I would've done the death-disco shirt a bit differently... i would've punched out holes in the ball in shape of skull rather than kind of lazily slapping an image of a skull on top of it...

yeah hard times and confessions probably 2 best and most emotive riddims i've heard in a long time...

i guess sickboy is too much of a man to have feelings... that's cool. to each his own.

DJ PIMP
06-06-2007, 12:43 AM
claro intellecto, model 500, and "computer love" makes you cry? really? not that i don't believe you it's just a little hard to imagine...

I would've done the death-disco shirt a bit differently... i would've punched out holes in the ball in shape of skull rather than kind of lazily slapping an image of a skull on top of it...
that is what he did in places... the teeth are punched out, and the image of the skull is refracting across the surface of the ball, it's not a simply overlay.

the weepy thing is really contingent on where my head is at... almost anything could set me off at the right point in time. all those tracks have moved me to tears but i'm not such a woosie they do so consistently.

re computer love:

another lonely night
another lonely night
stare at the tv screen
at the tv screen
i don't know what to do
don't know what to do
i need a rendezvous
i need a rendezvous

then it drops to the exquisitely naive melody... lovely.

it's also the sounds kraftwerk uses, those clear crystal analog notes. i cried at one point when i first listened to the tour de france soundtracks by virtue of the sound alone... so impossibly glassy and beautiful.

zhao
06-06-2007, 01:25 AM
that is what he did in places... the teeth are punched out, and the image of the skull is refracting across the surface of the ball, it's not a simply overlay.

ah yes upon closer look you are right. it is properly executed. the icon i think is too small that i didn't notice, and it looked like an overlay.

it's also the sounds kraftwerk uses, those clear crystal analog notes. i cried at one point when i first listened to the tour de france soundtracks by virtue of the sound alone... so impossibly glassy and beautiful.

yes their music is very human isn't it? very fragile. and full of quirks and awkwardness and weaknesses... kind of opposite of the image of what they're "supposed" to be. the robot exterior hides neurotic things made of flesh. the new Tour De France maybe less so than earlier songs...

mixed_biscuits
06-06-2007, 10:18 AM
Orbital - Belfast

Aye and Simple Minds - Belfast Child - also good for an old Belfast boy like me.

Sufjan Stevens - Casimir Pulaski Day
Lamb - Gorecki
Arvo Part - In Memoriam Benjamin Britten

john eden
06-06-2007, 10:43 AM
'Truth and Rights' by Johnny Osbourne does it for me every time too.

Your chest.

Also: The Bug dropping "Bionic Ras" at BASH. Completely overcome, eyes closed, leaking...

zhao
06-06-2007, 01:42 PM
can't wait to go to bash... hope it's still around when i manage to get there

viktorvaughn
06-06-2007, 02:07 PM
can't wait to go to bash... hope it's still around when i manage to get there

Bash has shut down unfortunately.

gumdrops
06-06-2007, 02:14 PM
a lot of grime makes me cry, though not for the reasons the smiths its over does.

Pangaea
06-06-2007, 02:21 PM
One track that sticks out is the album version of 'All Is Full Of Love' by Bjork...must have been about 15 at the time and had never heard anything like it before

john eden
06-06-2007, 02:22 PM

But may return in the summer. :)

zhao
06-06-2007, 02:53 PM

oh no!!! :( I'm gonna...

(reaches for box of tissues)

zhao
06-06-2007, 04:42 PM
future days.

if i really listen, almost every time.

edit: just humming the tune, just thinking about that voice makes me a little misty.

gek-opel
06-06-2007, 07:30 PM
Scott Walker - "Farmer in the City"... the vast sounding cello drone which introduces it, the immense drum rolls, "remember that dream- we talked about it so many times", the way the lyric twists between the explicable and his own private language, the woodwind counter-melody in the second versethe see-sawing strings, the shattering crescendo... "it was the journey of a life..."

Ricardo Villalobos - "Dexter"... its icy synth riffs hang in the air like tears in pools of chilling reverb, picking out that beautiful, hymnal melody. Incredibly simple but basically unimprovable.

David Sylvian - "The Only Daughter"... the double take between calming music/gentle major key and ragingly angry/sinister lyrics, enunciated in a drained, anaesthetised 4am croon: "render the vow- its my home now, this, your one and only warning, please be gone by morning..." "The penny's dropped..."

Sick Boy
07-06-2007, 10:07 PM
Actually I do have an answer to this question:

When I was 19, I went into work at my job at Winners (basically Canada's TK Maxx) after a night of raving and no sleep. They made me mop the floor of the whole store while coming down from far too many drugs at 7 in the morning, and Mario Winan's hit "Don't Let Me Know" or whatever came on the radio, and I started crying.

I'm not sure if I sympathized with him, or if it was just because I was feeling something that could only be comparable to malaria.

My boss let me off work that day. I quit the job soon after.

viktorvaughn
07-06-2007, 10:57 PM
Scott Walker - "Farmer in the City"... the vast sounding cello drone which introduces it, the immense drum rolls, "remember that dream- we talked about it so many times", the way the lyric twists between the explicable and his own private language, the woodwind counter-melody in the second versethe see-sawing strings, the shattering crescendo... "it was the journey of a life..."

Ricardo Villalobos - "Dexter"... its icy synth riffs hang in the air like tears in pools of chilling reverb, picking out that beautiful, hymnal melody. Incredibly simple but basically unimprovable.

David Sylvian - "The Only Daughter"... the double take between calming music/gentle major key and ragingly angry/sinister lyrics, enunciated in a drained, anaesthetised 4am croon: "render the vow- its my home now, this, your one and only warning, please be gone by morning..." "The penny's dropped..."

Dexter is beautiful. Got to hear it banged out quite loud on a stereo to hear the subtle texture in it though.

Jim Daze
08-06-2007, 01:55 AM
i dont believe any of those cool techno lists anyone cried too, i cried to the smiths most probably and the cure, young love is so cruel, most recently 'Linus and Lucy' by Geraldi, it's nostalgia. Was I supposed to say 'Inner City Life' or something like that, oh yeah that music in the film 'Walkabout', you know the strings gets me EVERY time, anyone know what that is btw ?

swears
08-06-2007, 06:06 AM

I put this on in the car once with my sister and she complained "it's so depressing, why would anybody want to listen to that?" and made me change the track.

zhao
08-06-2007, 06:38 AM
i dont believe any of those cool techno lists anyone cried too
not likely but i do think it's possible. when the formal construction feels exactly perfect, no more, no less; when the elements are placed just so... and when you can afford the concentration, to *really* listen and "get into" the experience of how the track unfolds...

i've had pretty intensely emotional moments with - Tulkinta and Senking's Silencer. yes tears were involved.

but there are musics which were almost, kind of designed as emotional outlet within the context of certain cultures. I'm thinking of traditional Mexican drinking songs, singers like Jose Luis -- it is very touching and very beautiful... it is the kind of stuff that you play very late at night, after everyone is completely wasted, at high volume, and arms are put around shoulders and everyone just weeps.

but as far as the saddest music of the world... difficult to find a contender with Armenian Duduk music. well maybe some old flamenco tunes... or old arabic tunes... but if you didn't grow up listening to it there is no intrinsic emotional, experiential connection, so even though the music is incredibly powerful and intense I don't usually cry listening to it.

strange that not much overtly sad music comes out of africa (or maybe i just haven't heard) - a place that has experienced likely much more suffering than anywhere else during last few decades.

Steve Lacy supposedly said once "first you have to sound sad, and later you can sound good"
which i take to mean that the only really good music, the only quality, the only joy that can be found, in music and maybe in life, is one which comes out of, grows beyond, and despite of, saddness.

zhao
08-06-2007, 06:44 AM
i cried when i first heard this (http://www.muniak.com/mazenkerbaj.html) - made during the first days of last years bombardment. - in this case of course it is more than the sounds themselves but the knowledge of what they are, and the context of its making, which bring the tears...

swears
08-06-2007, 09:11 AM
When I was a hard bitten private detective living in LA during the 80s, after my model girlfriend had left me for being too much of a "loose cannon, you crazy bastard Swearsinsky" I would often be found listening to Cutting Crew's "Died In My Arms", slugging a bottle of Scotch in a paper bag while a single manly tear rolled down my designer stubble.

Lichen
08-06-2007, 09:15 AM
Standing in disgrace outside a classroom whilst my 5-year old classmates sang "If you're happy and you know: it clap your hands"

That song still makes me feel isolated and melancholy, if not actively lachrymose.:(

This has nothing do to with the thead though, does it?

sufi
08-06-2007, 09:18 AM
Standing in disgrace outside a classroom ...
what was the misdemeanour?

Lichen
08-06-2007, 09:23 AM
precocious 'playing to the gallery' i would have thought

sufi
08-06-2007, 09:39 AM
naughty naughty :slanted:

mistersloane
08-06-2007, 12:15 PM
Armenian Duduk music. .

Oh god, that stuff is just ridiculous, we had a CD of it once and one of the track titles was 'I will not be happy again in this world', it's just the most goth title ever.

I cried to 'Strings Of Life' once, on a perfect day driving down into Ibiza Town, blaring that out. But then again, I also cried to 'Bring It All Back' by S Club 7 so I'm not the best arbiter of taste.

gumdrops
08-06-2007, 12:21 PM
doesnt quite make me cry but the transcendence comp on impulse does take me to a different kind of emotional plane (um seriously)

zhao
09-06-2007, 01:58 PM
cape verde

noel emits
09-06-2007, 02:02 PM
Oh god, that stuff is just ridiculous, we had a CD of it once and one of the track titles was 'I will not be happy again in this world', it's just the most goth title ever.

Yeah but there's also one called 'I will not be sad in this world.'

blubeat
10-06-2007, 11:36 AM
The Abyssinians last week had me crying my eyes out.
The fact that you saw them and I didn't has me crying my eyes out.

Primal Scream - Moving on Up. That one always gets me, I have requested it for my funeral. I will probably be past crying then tho!

blubeat
10-06-2007, 11:37 AM
Have you ever heard something so good it made you cry?
The news that Paris Hilton had been sent back to jail?

SIZZLE
11-06-2007, 08:20 PM
Goodie Mobb - Beautiful Skin (from 2nd album, title escapes me)

Al Green - Jesus Is Waiting

Pete Rock & CL Smooth - T.R.O.Y (When They Reminisce Over You)

Play those back to back and I'll be bawling it up in no time.

mms
11-06-2007, 08:33 PM
Goodie Mobb - Beautiful Skin (from 2nd album, title escapes me)

Al Green - Jesus Is Waiting

Pete Rock & CL Smooth - T.R.O.Y (When They Reminisce Over You)

Play those back to back and I'll be bawling it up in no time.

jesus is waiting is really rather lovely.

i sometimes get quite upset when i hear Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan and party giving it some.
Not the Westernised stuff, vwith pissy ambient rubbish in it, it misses the point, the pure energised qawwali stuff - it just sounds so beyond and so full of pumping human hearts, sweat and throats sung raw at the same time. Meat and the maker.

late period john coltrane, can't really handle this stuff, it's quite upsetting in a genuinely overwhelmingly emotional way.

minikomi
13-06-2007, 01:48 AM
walking about in japanese rice fields covered in snow listening to fennesz/oval/line label stuff,..,...
could have been the wind though

ripley
13-06-2007, 05:47 AM
Nina Simone. I can't stand it when cafes and bars use her as background music, because I can't not listen to her and her voice pretty much kills me every time.

Otis Redding, on occasion.

and yes, the Abyssinians, especially "Leggo Beast" - something about the harmonies and shifting tones does it too

tox
13-06-2007, 07:39 PM
Nina Simone. I can't stand it when cafes and bars use her as background music, because I can't not listen to her and her voice pretty much kills me every time.

Just be happy you're not in the UK where we're subjected to "I Got Life" on a Yoghurt advert!

Sickening!

hopper
13-06-2007, 08:55 PM
Cliff Martinez - Don't blow it

Absolutely stunning, I didn't cry but it jus made me sit still on the spot absolutely stunned.

swears
13-06-2007, 09:01 PM
Stick on "True Faith" at the end of a heavy night when I'm feeling a little bit tired and emotional, and I'll be sobbing my eyes out.
Stayed with a friend in his student halls and came back to sit in his kitchen and chat with a few people, this was on the stereo and the tears just started streaming.

Him: "What's wrong? Fucking hell, what happened?"

Me: "Nothing, nothing..."

mms
13-06-2007, 09:09 PM
my dad used to complain about this, 'listen to the words'

Ach!
13-06-2007, 09:13 PM
Michael Rose - Born Free
- Is just incredible

Stevie Wonder - Golden Lady
- The way the melody of the vocal in the chorus lilts around at the end of the line is the tearjerker for me.

and rather perversely

Prodigy - Smack My Bitch Up
- really loud in a car with a subwoofer.

ripley
13-06-2007, 11:37 PM
my dad used to complain about this, 'listen to the words'

I doubt I'll be hearing "Go to hell" in a yogurt ad (but you never know, I can't believe that her voice can be used that way), that's one I teared up to most recently.

it's the lyrics, but also something she does with them, something in her voice..