Record and Tape Exchange or whatever it's called nowadays.

Kate Mossad

Anybody ever worked there?

Having a CD clear out, a few will go to eBay but the majority will be disposed of with minimum hassle. What's the best strategy for getting money out of these b******s? Taking in a few at a time or going in with a big pile?

Diggedy Derek

Stray Dog
I worked in the office for many years.

Worth remembering that some records will be essentially worthless to them, even though they don't refuse anything. So they're more interested in the good stuff. I'd say self-selection is the key. Prune out the rubbish, if you can. Consider giving some stuff to charity shops. Go in there with a high average quality of record, and it helps the guy behind the counter.

Also, make sure the records you've got are suited, area-wise, to the shop you're going into. The soul shop don't want to wade through lots of rawwwwk.

Most other protocols of how to deal with them can be determined by thinking how much work you're gonna cause the guy behind the counter. So, don't present them with an enormous list of stuff and ask them to present an exact price. But maybe think of doing a list of 100 odd of the best records and ask if they're interested. They won't refuse anything, but you might be able to get a sense of if they think they'd be good purchases for the shop.

Great stuff > eBay
Decent stuff > MVE
Standard stuff > charity shops

Remember that, in any given case, you might not get much money, so don't spend 50 quid on a taxi down there.

Also remember that you will be able to cut out the middle man (which is what MVE/RTE is) by selling them on eBay. If you've got the time.

john eden

male pale and stale
also - whack a list up here flog them to people on dissensus in some kind of beer-related setting?

Benny Bunter

I wish there was one of these near me, I'd be straight down there. Trying to sell secondhand CDs really underlines what a shite, worthless format they really are, especially nowadays. Just think of all the zillions of long-unlistened to cds taking up space in peoples houses there must be.

benjybars

village elder.
True dat. The market for secondhand CDs is pretty poor. Don't expect a lot. In fact, why not take 'em to Flashback? It's nearer to you.

it was the pitiful price i got for a proper decent dvd collection which tripped me up..

massrock

Yep, had that experience too, with DVDs. :eek:

Worked there for a bit mid-90s so thought I had an idea of what the offer should be. One thing I noticed was that most DVD prices had no mark downs so I thought maybe they'd stopped doing that for some stuff. They said they'd just repriced everything! Ok...

And look at the mental legal stuff on the receipts now, the hoops they have to swing through.

There's got to be a book / film to be made about that place and its history. Maybe not anymore but at some point it constituted a whole alternate economy for that part of London. It's still a bit of a crazy world onto itself.

massrock

Just seen the posts on the Records Stores in London thread, figured there were quite a few MVE alumni round these parts...

Kate Mossad

also - whack a list up here flog them to people on dissensus in some kind of beer-related setting?

Yeah, that sounds like a plan. Have been going through some now and will start on some sort of list, might take a few weeks.

Already sold thousands on eBay over the years but just can't take the hassle and time cost any more. Saying that however one or two will go up there, Philosophy of Sound and Machine CD, some Bowie promos etc.

Been selling to MVE for years but am sure prices have dropped off significantly recently. Went for a job in the original Notting Hill branch in the early 90s and scored a mad 99% or something in the questionnaire they used to make you do. This crazy Irish guy stormed downstairs and basically threw me out the shop for being some sort of smart-arse!!!

Last edited:

john eden

male pale and stale
that's funny about the questionaire.

Prices are down across the board I think as people trim their collections in lean times...

Flogging direct is a lot better anyway if you can. Paying 5 quid for a CD is more realistic if there isn't also another £1.50 on top of that for p&p, no ebay fees for the sellers, etc.