yurp
Been reading and enjoying philosophy again. In particular, the following:

Graham Harman
Manuel DeLanda
Delueze & Guattari
Brian Massumi
Bruno Latour
Pierre Bourdieu

Okay, the last two are questionable, but Graham Harman thinks that Latour is a philosopher, so by reflection/inversion Bourdieu gets included as well.

Who else should I be reading?

vimothy

yurp
Latour is very funny. DeLanda has his moments too.

There's an episode of celeb come dine with me in here somewhere.

craner

Beast of Burden
What do you make of De Landa? I remember reading that Non-linear history book in my early twenties, and it blew my mind. I couldn't read it now. Some pin-stripe spiv on a train took the piss out of me reading it on public transport. It hurt my fucking feelings man!

craner

Beast of Burden
But now I can see his point. I remember Reynolds saying that weening yourself of this shit is like becoming ex-Catholic.

Well, Catholicism, Marxism...it's all there in Bataille, Barthes, Deleuze...perpetual ex-communication

craner

Beast of Burden
I've spent all day watching episodes of Frasier, documentaries about the Cuban Missile Crisis and reading Gerald Manley Hopkins sonnets. Ignore the crap out of me.

vimothy

yurp
Too late!

A thousand yrs of non linear history is a great romp. He's like a Deleuzean Zizek--total rock star.

After finishing my Eng Lit degree, I went through a period (quite a long period) where I wasn't interested in any of this stuff at all. Feeling a bit more reconcilled with the whole thing now. This is all sounding very Catholic though, you're right.

craner

Beast of Burden
Too right. I remember trying to write like Baudrillard, it was remarkably easy. All my MA submissions were confused, jargon-filled Deleuzan romps...sadly, my tutors were impressed!

It's far harder trying to write and think like Popper.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
remember reading that Non-linear history book in my early twenties, and it blew my mind. I couldn't read it now. Some pin-stripe spiv on a train took the piss out of me reading it on public transport.

I hope there's no implication in this - I'm often to be found in pinstripe on a train! But I'm also quite likely to be reading a magic-realist novel or a book on Middle Eastern mythology or something. I'd love to read some current philosophy but I really wouldn't have a clue where to start...

Last edited:

grizzleb

I've not been able to read any recently because of other study commitments, but when I was reading a lot I was enjoying Barthes and Zizek, usual suspects relly. Looking forward to being able to read more widely at uni next year, especially some of the more interesting sounding people I've heard of from here.

Baudrillard is fun to read but not very rigorous. I'd akin much of that sort of stuff nearer to poetry or something maybe....

mixed_biscuits

Shouldn't Mr Tea start with Kant if he wants to get into modern continental philos?

grizzleb

I remember geographers being keen on Latour during my flirtation with post-grad geog.

Shouldn't Mr Tea start with Kant if he wants to get into modern continental philos?
I'd recommend getting some 'readers' if you're wanting to get into it also. Makes reading the actual texts so much easier/less pointless.

pajbre

Glad to see Massumi getting some love; Parables for the Virtual is a totally fun & ferocious book, kind of surprised that he is not discussed more, even amongst people who discuss other writers of his milieu...

nomos

Administrator
Glad to see Massumi getting some love; Parables for the Virtual is a totally fun & ferocious book, kind of surprised that he is not discussed more, even amongst people who discuss other writers of his milieu...
Very true. I think it's slowly making its mark though.

Last edited: