The end of Optimo

Sectionfive

bandwagon house
Sort of... sad news all the same. Two of the hardest working djs Ive every seen.

THE END OF OPTIMO
Today at 16:00

The end is nigh….

After 12 and a half years (or around 650 Optimos), we have, after a huge amount of consideration and many sleepless nights decided that Sunday April 25th will be the LAST EVER night of Optimo (Espacio) at The Sub Club.

We have loved doing Optimo with all our hearts, but our hearts are also telling us it is time to call a halt to it. Playing at, organising and promoting a weekly night takes up an enormous amount of energy and there are so many other things we want to do that some of that energy is needed for our other projects. We also need to get our lives and weeks back a little bit and take on new challenges and opportunities (we have to turn down an awful lot of opportunities by being committed to being in Glasgow every Sunday and being wiped out every Monday).

We will continue to tour, promote and release music as Optimo but it will no longer be possible to hear JD Twitch and JG Wilkes dj at The Sub Club every Sunday night.

However, it is not completely over. Twitch played at the Sub Club on Sunday nights for two years before Optimo started and was involved in a Sunday evening club for a few years before that, so it is hard to let go of Sunday night events in Glasgow completely. Twitch and Wilkes will continue to promote Sunday nights at The Sub Club under an as yet to be announced name. The new night will give a platform to the plethora of great djs in Glasgow, bring djs we love to Glasgow and bring live acts nobody else would bring to this city. Sometimes Twitch or Wilkes will play alongside them and sometimes Twitch and Wilkes may play together on a Sunday night but, without Twitch and Wilkes playing together weekly, it won't and can't be Optimo.

Who know what this new venture will morph into but whatever, we hope that the anarchic spirit we brought to the Sub Club in 1997 will continue to prevail on Sunday nights.

So, there are 7 Optimos left. Hopefully we will see some of you before the end. We absolutely intend to go out with a bang.

It's not over until the fat lady sings.....

cobretti

[-] :: [-] ~ [-] :: [-]
Onwards and upwards, it's been a slow decline for the last couple of years; doesn't quite seem to offer what the yoof crew are after in Glasgow these days. Something with more regular guest DJs and a bit more focus on emerging sounds might help things, I'm sure whatever they have up their sleeve will be quality.

cobretti

[-] :: [-] ~ [-] :: [-]
They've been quite receptive to Funky, pretty cool as they've shunned (or just chosen not to play) a few emergent genres/styles over the last few years. The other month when I was down Twitch was playing Jumeirah Riddim amongst other stuff.

massrock

I stayed up listening and recording until about 3, it was pretty great. Glad someone recorded the whole lot.

(edit - oh i see they recorded the whole night with mics in the room as well! nice.)

Last edited:

Brother Randy Hickey

formerly Dubversion
i'm working through it now, i'm at about midnight :)

they had some stuff on the website about the last night not being about nostalgia, only playing new bass sounds etc. Complete nonsense, I'm happy to say -it's like the best party set ever..