PDA

View Full Version : Hoon /Hewit/Byers out of Labour...?

baboon2004
22-03-2010, 10:17 PM
http://blogs.news.sky.com/boultonandco/Post:16a543d0-8cdd-474f-b793-b0dc2106c7ec

er, apparently they've gone. is it april 1? er, no. not been following the news- what's all this about then?

craner
22-03-2010, 10:27 PM
What a disaster.

baboon2004
22-03-2010, 10:29 PM
can't believe i've missed all this in the news over the past few days. Labour have got to be fucked after this, surely? What with evil Baby Cameron on the way too.... :eek:

crackerjack
22-03-2010, 10:30 PM
Excellent decision. Hope the chiselling scum wind up paupers

craner
22-03-2010, 10:43 PM
And George Osbourne is Master of Ceremonies? I dunno, man, we're heading for destruction any which way. This is scary stuff. I still hold a Labour badge, a card in my pocket, but I won't be stumping, I'll be shivering.

crackerjack
22-03-2010, 10:45 PM
Poetic justice, of course, that they're the archest of blairites.

I was mulling on this when Blair said he was focusing his 'faith organisation' on America, where there's already a surfeit of religion but tons of cash, rather than the uk, where there's hardly any money in god. This makes a much neater final chapter.

craner
22-03-2010, 10:47 PM
Sorry, OT, but how you you start a poll here?

crackerjack
22-03-2010, 10:48 PM
And George Osbourne is Master of Ceremonies? I dunno, man, we're heading for destruction any which way. This is scary stuff. I still hold a Labour badge, a card in my pocket, but I won't be stumping, I'll be shivering.

So do I, but the damage was done by the story on Sunday. What else could the leadership do?

crackerjack
22-03-2010, 10:50 PM
I couldn'tface watchng the programme - anyone see it? They're saying it was a post-election offer. But their access isn't worth shit come may

don_quixote
22-03-2010, 10:53 PM
good. fucking can't stand hewitt. so patronising.

interesting that all of these are anti-brown.

crackerjack
23-03-2010, 10:05 AM
good. fucking can't stand hewitt. so patronising.

interesting that all of these are anti-brown.

Maybe, but the impetus has come from below - Brown clearly just wanted to ignore this.

I find Hoon almost compulsively banal. He should've been laughed out of politics when he claimed, as defence minister, that he didn't know about the Standard's 45-minute claim cos he was out of town for the day. But no one could bring themselves to care. He hung around by saying nothing and offending no one; then, when his game was up, turned into a snake.

DannyL
23-03-2010, 10:46 AM
The only thing that puzzles me about it is that it seems so much business as usual...it's the type of thing that Private Eye seem to mention every other day. I still was holding out hope against a Tory victory or majority but this seems to be a nailin that coffin.

crackerjack
23-03-2010, 11:05 AM
The only thing that puzzles me about it is that it seems so much business as usual...it's the type of thing that Private Eye seem to mention every other day. I still was holding out hope against a Tory victory or majority but this seems to be a nailin that coffin.

true, but PE just trace patterns of interest and friendship etc and invite you to draw your own conclusions. C4 caught a former cabinet minister calling himself a taxi for hire. Labour urgently need a spell in opposition - just the country doesn't need those Tory numpties running it.

don_quixote
23-03-2010, 05:55 PM
come on hung parliament

i'm really distressed by the fact my vote simply doesn't count. why is this not more of an issue? surely for the majority of the people in this country it absolutely doesn't matter who they vote for, nothing changes? i can vote labour all i want round here but the simple fact is a tory will get elected again. yet nothing gets done about it. my vote is essentially worthless.

mistersloane
23-03-2010, 08:02 PM
come on hung parliament

i'm really distressed by the fact my vote simply doesn't count. why is this not more of an issue? surely for the majority of the people in this country it absolutely doesn't matter who they vote for, nothing changes? i can vote labour all i want round here but the simple fact is a tory will get elected again. yet nothing gets done about it. my vote is essentially worthless.

That's where a spolied ballot comes in, surely, it still gets counted.

don_quixote
23-03-2010, 09:02 PM
yeah, that's what's going to happen

craner
23-03-2010, 09:12 PM
Come hung parliament, the Queen will decide.

crackerjack
23-03-2010, 09:47 PM
Come hung parliament, the Queen will decide.

assuming just one of the windsors can count

Tentative Andy
24-03-2010, 01:32 AM
Watching the Dispatches thing on playback just now. Bizzaro.

vimothy
24-03-2010, 10:46 AM
Budget day!

vimothy
24-03-2010, 11:25 AM
Both the Guardian and Richard Murphy are saying the budget will be Keynesian and growth orientated. FT says it's about hitting the banks. The Times says its about green stuff.

hucks
24-03-2010, 11:32 AM
Can they all be right? I heard he was cutting stamp duty for first time buyers. As a potential first time buyer (ie I rent now), I wish he wouldn't do that. All that will happen is prices will go up.

vimothy
24-03-2010, 11:42 AM
Will any of it even get implemented?

Oh yes I forgot: there's the income tax band freeze as well.

crackerjack
24-03-2010, 12:39 PM
Budget day!

How quickly the thread drifts. What with the budget and Israeli assassins to talk about, this might be best-timed scandal Labour's had in a while.

vimothy
24-03-2010, 12:41 PM
hairy muff

crackerjack
25-03-2010, 08:04 PM
Labour 2 behind, 4 ahead in
marginals. Sky reduced to showing wurzels protesting cider duty rise.

Did something happen on Monday? Shhh

hucks
25-03-2010, 08:15 PM
?

You mean dispatches? Sorry if I'm being dim

don_quixote
25-03-2010, 11:35 PM
i think so

haha come on the sun changing it's mind. that would be absolutely priceless.

crackerjack
26-03-2010, 08:39 AM
?

You mean dispatches? Sorry if I'm being dim

Yeah. Just amused by how quickly this has disappeared - unless someone's about to drop some cast-iron evidence linking Mandy, the party seems to have got away with this

edit: this is worht a read (http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2010/mar/25/general-election-what-if-tories-lose)

DannyL
26-03-2010, 10:19 AM
I wondered if they'd deceided to leak the details the Israel story to distract attention from that actually. Call me cynical. "A good day to bury bad news".

crackerjack
26-03-2010, 11:30 AM
I wondered if they'd deceided to leak the details the Israel story to distract attention from that actually. Call me cynical. "A good day to bury bad news".

That occurred to me too. Guess we can exonerate them on the budget.

don_quixote
26-03-2010, 03:57 PM
"good day to bury bad news" was the most awesome moment of british politics in the last 20 years. that and the prescott punch.

hucks
29-03-2010, 08:53 PM
Anyone watch the Ask the Chancellors thing? Go Vince! But I hate hate hate Osbourne, and he didn't actually come across as that much of a cunt. Obviously been told to turn down the cuntishness. Wise.

DannyL
29-03-2010, 10:25 PM
"good day to bury bad news" was the most awesome moment of british politics in the last 20 years. that and the prescott punch.

IIRC correctly she was Byers assistant and he defended her in the House? I think that's the case anyway.

crackerjack
29-03-2010, 11:16 PM
IIRC correctly she was Byers assistant and he defended her in the House? I think that's the case anyway.

She was his press secretary and it took one more scandal to get her sacked, yes

grizzleb
29-03-2010, 11:17 PM
Anyone watch the Ask the Chancellors thing? Go Vince! But I hate hate hate Osbourne, and he didn't actually come across as that much of a cunt. Obviously been told to turn down the cuntishness. Wise.
Vince Cable rocking it as usual. Makes you wonder why the Lib Dems are perceived to be so shite. Osbourne I though sounded like a bit of a bellend tbh. Just a side note but when he was talking about 'fairness' he was waffling some heavy shite, and he knew it. Had to wing it cause he doesn't have a clue about unfairness in society, whereas for Labour and the Lib Dems that would have been bread and butter for them in their student days.

mistersloane
30-03-2010, 01:12 PM
Vince Cable rocking it as usual. Makes you wonder why the Lib Dems are perceived to be so shite. Osbourne I though sounded like a bit of a bellend tbh. Just a side note but when he was talking about 'fairness' he was waffling some heavy shite, and he knew it. Had to wing it cause he doesn't have a clue about unfairness in society, whereas for Labour and the Lib Dems that would have been bread and butter for them in their student days.

I was surprised at how heavyweight Darling came across as, I thought he did really well, as did Cable but no surprise there, Osbourne came across as some prick still stuck in 80s rhetoric, foul stupid man. I like the way Darling and Cable were talking to each other and pretty much just ignoring him.

grizzleb
30-03-2010, 01:18 PM
I was surprised at how heavyweight Darling came across as, I thought he did really well, as did Cable but no surprise there, Osbourne came across as some prick still stuck in 80s rhetoric, foul stupid man. I like the way Darling and Cable were talking to each other and pretty much just ignoring him.Yeah I agree with that, Darling was laughing at him quite a bit. I think that the tension between 'old' and 'new' tory (or rather, the lack of real 'new' tory) that Cameron seemed to have removed is going to rear its head again, much to their detriment. 6 months ago I'd have said in a heartbeat that the tories will be the next government, but I don't know anymore. Stuck in 80's rhetoric, and by trying to pretend they know about and care about the problems of 'the people' they are opening themselves up for attack, as it's clearly so disingenuous.

crackerjack
30-03-2010, 01:19 PM
I was surprised at how heavyweight Darling came across as, I thought he did really well, as did Cable but no surprise there, Osbourne came across as some prick still stuck in 80s rhetoric, foul stupid man. I like the way Darling and Cable were talking to each other and pretty much just ignoring him.

Michael Crick on Newsnight said Osbourne was the winner, in a way, even though he lost the poll. Expectations for the man are now so low they 're happy if he doesn't do a Pirnce Philip and start insulting the 'servants'. He's basically the Tory Palin, minus the sex appeal and grassroots popularity

don_quixote
30-03-2010, 01:20 PM

you're right. bloody hell. swings and roundabouts eh

DannyL
01-04-2010, 09:17 AM
http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2010/apr/01/labour-gordon-brown-hard-man

I was reading this and thinking "Bloody hell, is it April the 1st or something..." then I realised....