Tintin -vs- Asterix

Tintin or Asterix?

• Total voters

Woebot

Reading these to my kids and oh c'mon! Tintin (barring I dunno 2 or 3 classics - esp The Black Island) just pales into comparison with Asterix. Nothing can touch The Mansions of The Gods.

PeteUM

It's all grist
There's something that doesn't hang together about Tintin. The first book is downright weird. The covers are amazing though.

craner

Beast of Burden
Asterix, absolutely hands down, no contest. I am a bit of an extremist on this important issue. I wouldn't even read Tintin to my kids.

Asterix the Legionary is one of the best things ever created. Asterix in Corsica one of the most beautifully illustrated comics I've ever seen.

Obelix & Co. is the great lost Asterix book, one for these times too.

obelix_l.jpg

STN

sou'wester
'Who goes there?'

'Corsican and friends, can he come on board?'

''course he can'

I still laugh about this now, despite reading it in around 1988.

craner

Beast of Burden
They were brilliant English translations; one of the translators (Anthea Bell) is, strangely enough, Oliver Kamm's mother.

crackerjack

Reading these to my kids and oh c'mon! Tintin (barring I dunno 2 or 3 classics - esp The Black Island) just pales into comparison with Asterix.

Was this ever in doubt? Most of any fond memories I have of Tintin relate to the TV show more than the books. Asterix was religous rite of passage in our house. The Legionary, & Cleopatra, and when it got a lil gothic with The Soothsayer and many,, many more that I've forgotten (incl MOTG, which I just had to look up).
Tintin is all blisterng barnacles and thompson and thomson. Tintin himself, even as a 7-year-old you knew he was a bit wet.

Isn't her brother the cartoonist Martin Bell as well?

Kamm is either Bell's nephew or son-in-law, dunno which.

I like Tintin, but perhaps more for the style than the stories and characters. Asterix is untouchable (if you don't count the last ~25 years). It's a bit of a shame that Uderzo won't stop.

craner

Beast of Burden
I thought that Uderzo was doing very well up until Asterix and the Secret Weapon which was shit. Asterix and Son and Asterix and the Magic Carpet and, in particualar, Asterix and the Black Gold are really very good. Everything since 1990, however, has been a nightmare.

craner

Beast of Burden
Also, this is a great film. Really worth getting hold of this, if you're an Asterix fan. Trust me, I wouldn't send you down a wrong path. All the other Asterix films are shit. This is genius.

mind_philip

saw the light
Much reading and re-reading of Asterix among my four brothers and me as kids, and still the occasional re-visit now, though the copies are mostly falling apart and the hardbacks in particular have weird blackened spines. No contest really.

Am particularly fond of the jokes about learning French in Asterix in Britain.

nomos

Administrator
Asterix. No contest really. Man practically taught me to read French single handedly.

Tintin v. Barbapapa would be tighter. Those fuckers are slippery...

barbapapa.jpg

I thought that Uderzo was doing very well up until Asterix and the Secret Weapon which was shit. Asterix and Son and Asterix and the Magic Carpet and, in particualar, Asterix and the Black Gold are really very good. Everything since 1990, however, has been a nightmare.

Black Gold is brilliant, one of my favorites and the last really good one. and Son and Magic Carpet were alright, but compared to everything before that I think he was already going downhill.