anyone care to play the "ID that 1991 track" game?

dominic

Beast of Burden
1991 is my all-time favorite year for music

and if i have had a constant ambition in life, it has been to track down records from this year

the other day jimbackhouse identified "precaution" for me, so now i'm newly hopeful that other people on dissensus may be able to identify tracks --

sadly i have to do these all from memory b/c my copies of these songs are on tape, and i haven't a tape player at the moment -- so descriptions will be somewhat lacking

perhaps by describing six tracks I’ll get lucky ------

(1) house track that i believe is out of nyc -- 1990/91 -- but more rave-oriented house than deep -- i have a tape of pete tong on radio 1 from the summer of 91 where he plays it -- a woman sings and the lyric goes something like this -- "i wanna rock n roll with you, i wanna roll all over you, i wanna relax your body and soul, i wanna rock n roll with you"

(2) this is the lover's rock end of ragga techno -- has a reggae feel w/ beats going at same speed as a typical 1991 house track -- the sample is of a male reggae-soul singer -- "i know what it is, come with me tonight, i knooow ooooh" -- and then there's also a sample of someone toasting about "live and direct" -- somewhat lush production, orchestral sweeps in parts -- wouldn't be surprised if this record were on vinyl solution

(3) breakbeat piano hardcore track but w/ virtuoso production -- the sample goes "atomic" synth stab "atomic" synth tab "atomic" -- and there's something being said about a starship at the beginning of the track -- the piano vamp is roughly the same chords as lenny dee's "vamp," but with more elaboration -- suspect this is out of either nyc or belgium

(4) this track is based on a gimmick -- has an old hollywood western thing going on -- w/ pistols firing away -- and then a sample of some cartoon cowboy going "oh oh oh oh yeah" -- and then there'll be a sinister cowboy saying something like "a little was not enough for me, i needed much more than that" -- i probably have to the lyrics completely wrong -- again, the distinctive thing about this track is the cowboy western gimmick & the constant rhythmic firing of the cowboy's pistol -- and the whole track is like a western narrative -- and it's very funky proto junglistic -- probably came out winter of 91/92 -- and it got played on the london pirates

(5) rave-orientated piano house track w/ diva who sings "don't you take your love away from me . . . " ----- the track begins w/ a sample from the ny disco track "weekend," and the sample goes "i'll try to make this as brief as possible" ------ and then there's also a sample of kool moe dee going there's not a problem that i can't fix, cause i can do it, cause i can do it"

(6) another rave-orientated house track -- but also very balearic in feel -- and the woman sings "come on down to the funky beat, get on the groove, it's a funky rhythm" -- folowed by "funky rhythm/it's a funky rhythm" -- and it's got a kind of hip hop hesitation in the bassline, though for the most part it's house

AGAIN, sorry for the inadequate descriptions

AND sorry for using this space to pursue my own private agenda -- of course not *that* sorry, o/w i wouldn't be doing this

dominic

Beast of Burden
and i forgot to say "thanks" -- so thank you -- and even if this isn't the record i'm looking for, it sure looks good

Gerard

Track Four

Depth Charge: "Bounty Killers".

"What did you say your name was again ?" ......" I didn't"

Noah Baby Food

Depth Charge...awesome. J Saul Kane was well on form back then. He did a few movie-themed tracks didn't he? "Dead By Dawn" with samples from the Evil Dead..that was ace.

john eden

male pale and stale
Noah Baby Food said:
Depth Charge...awesome. J Saul Kane was well on form back then. He did a few movie-themed tracks didn't he? "Dead By Dawn" with samples from the Evil Dead..that was ace.

Yeah - "9 Deadly Venoms" or whatever the LP is, is amazing.

mms

sometimes
haha.
of all the tracks in the world i had this one going round my bonce today.
'when the chime begins pick up your gun'
man like j saul cane

gooooooooaaaaaaaaaalllllllllllllllllllllllll!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dominic

Beast of Burden
Pearsall said:
Dom, I can put an mp3 up via yousendit later so you can see if that's the track yer after?

actually i'm certain that gerard nailed it on the head

i'm technologically illiterate -- but i'll ask around -- i surely know at least one person who has the savvy to make an mp3 out of a tape

and the tape i'd post is a tape that i made out of my favorite tracks from this radio show called "hillbilly house" that used to be on hartford, connecticut radio -- i taped the show religiously every friday back in 1991 -- it's a pretty cool artifact of era -- you guys may find it interesting

dominic

Beast of Burden
Noah Baby Food said:
J Saul Kane was well on form back then.

I actually have several records by J Saul Kane -- "Aquarius" and "The Crack Train" both really good house -- and then also "Exploded" by The Formula, which hasn't aged particularly well . . . .

but I never would have guessed "Bounty Killers" was a J Saul Kane track based upon the work by J Saul Kane that I know

again, thanks for the ID

dominic

Beast of Burden
Pearsall said:
Dom, I can put an mp3 up via yousendit later so you can see if that's the track yer after?

Actually if you could, then please do ------ b/c according to Discogs there's a Bounty Killer that came out in 1989 (Vinyl Solution 13) and then Bounty Killer II that came out in 1992 (Vinyl Solution 50)

Or is it perhaps the case that "Bounty Killer" is an altogether slower & spookier track? And then Bounty Killer II is the track with the guns and the "measly thousand dollars is not enough for me" western twang? -- i ask b/c the recording i have is of the "hillbilly house" host playing 3 tracks in a row, all of which have the same vibe, but which sound totally different

does the first Bounty Killer perhaps have a quiet spooky soulful male voice going "stay real close, don't be so sure/that every day will be so good"???? -- of course this is yet another track that i'm trying to ID that sounds like it may have been produced in 1989

again, the tape i'd like to post has all this stuff on it

(btw "hillybilly house" was not a mixed show -- rather the host would only mix the last bar of one track into the first bar of the next track, allowing listeners to hear each track on its own terms)

dominic

Beast of Burden
and the downside was that the host never identified the tracks he was playing!!! -- he would only ID the station from time to time (WWUH), and thank his sponsor this club called "riot"

hamarplazt

100% No Soul Guaranteed
dominic said:
Or is it perhaps the case that "Bounty Killer" is an altogether slower & spookier track? And then Bounty Killer II is the track with the guns and the "measly thousand dollars is not enough for me" western twang? -- i ask b/c the recording i have is of the "hillbilly house" host playing 3 tracks in a row, all of which have the same vibe, but which sound totally different

does the first Bounty Killer perhaps have a quiet spooky soulful male voice going "stay real close, don't be so sure/that every day will be so good"???? -- of course this is yet another track that i'm trying to ID that sounds like it may have been produced in 1989
Well, both Bounty Killer tracks are on the Nine Deadly Venoms album, and if anything it's the other way round... the one with the measly thousand dollars is the first, and the second is more spooky. There's no "stay real close"-sample on it though.